Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #126
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
If a movie has been continuously trending for months before its release, its a sign that it would perform very well. The Wolverine/First Class didn't have that, so it make sense why those two didn't perform great at the box-office.
That genuinely means very little. bryan Singer constantly releases tweets, has had tons of casting announcements and set photos, and is quite open with the public about the movie. fox have also started a viral marketing campaign and are being quite mysterious. All this and a fanbase that loves to analyse and discuss every small detail, and due to the marketers cryptic behaviour they have a lot to discuss.

Also try to remember things like trending topics are quite unreliable, if you took it seriously, you may beleive that 90210 and Pretty Little Liars were the biggest shows in earth history when in all honesty less than 2 million people watched it, with the latter gaining under 3 million, yet they trend like crazy. There are also a good deal of other movies that will most likely gross more than DOFP that are not trending or are very low down on the list.

The movie will do well though but with the ammount of releases next year (unlike this year, many of the movies come from major franchises) slowing down momentum I don't see it passing $500mil (a strong number). I think us CBM fans need to get more conservative with our numbers, remember when everyone predicted Man of Steel would get a billion WW, it got nowhere close.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #127
xrs13
Cold as ice

well its our job as loyal fans to try and get as many people into the cinema as possible :P Tell yo' wife, tell yo' kids, tell yo' kids friends, tell everybody ! hahaha

Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #128
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
That genuinely means very little. bryan Singer constantly releases tweets, has had tons of casting announcements and set photos, and is quite open with the public about the movie. fox have also started a viral marketing campaign and are being quite mysterious. All this and a fanbase that loves to analyse and discuss every small detail, and due to the marketers cryptic behaviour they have a lot to discuss.

Also try to remember things like trending topics are quite unreliable, if you took it seriously, you may beleive that 90210 and Pretty Little Liars were the biggest shows in earth history when in all honesty less than 2 million people watched it, with the latter gaining under 3 million, yet they trend like crazy. There are also a good deal of other movies that will most likely gross more than DOFP that are not trending or are very low down on the list.

The movie will do well though but with the ammount of releases next year (unlike this year, many of the movies come from major franchises) slowing down momentum I don't see it passing $500mil (a strong number). I think us CBM fans need to get more conservative with our numbers, remember when everyone predicted Man of Steel would get a billion WW, it got nowhere close.
Yea well MOS sucked too so there's that.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #129
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Yea well MOS sucked too so there's that.
it really did. last ten minutes were cool.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #130
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

MOS did better then Superman Returns... alot better infact

Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #131
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

As of right now the best case for DOFP In DOmestic box office Is around 290
million the adjust numbers for X2/The last Stand.

It remains to be seen If the amazing spider-man 2 will be more embraced than
first film.

When you consider how july and august films did this year It time to envoke some reality Into notion GotG Is an guranteed megablockbuster.Even among comic book fans It's kinda obscore title.

and there's no gurantee cap will turn Into an Iron man size hit.

Star Trek Into darkness with 3-d did 30 million less than Trek 2009 domesticly

Man of steel was predicted to do 300 million domesticly and 1 billion worldwide.

It is nearly out of theatres and ended up with 287 million domesticly and 649 million worldwide.

For all the hate some had given to superman returns If you adjusted It it would come up to 249 Million,and that was without 3-d.Yep having an ailen theart,which by the way Is something that would have happened In returns sequel,did Increase the box office but not as much as some would have you
believe.

If you adjusted batman begins It would have grossed 261 Million.And that was more universally loved than man of steel.The fact WB Is doing a batman/superman film and not just a straight man of steel sequel tells you all
you need to know.

DOFP Is going to be hugh In foreign box office.It's domesticly where there Is some concern.291 Million Is mauxm I can see It doing at this point.I would love for GA to prove me wrong.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #132
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
As of right now the best case for DOFP In DOmestic box office Is around 290
million the adjust numbers for X2/The last Stand.
If wolverine is shaping up to be the lowest grossing xmen film domestically and the franchise has been falling in popularity, how could you have arrived at these figures? The films you mentioned are also 7 and 9 years old, audiences have changed, as well a the viewing habits of the public. That's one of the reasons why Hollywood tends not to go with the adjusted inflation figures, the marketplace changes and evolves.

I do agree that it will do great overseas, I just don't see anything competing with it apart from a Tom Cruise sci if action film, he's still a star overseas and could do some damage, but I'm not certain. Also depending on how Disney do with Thor 2, next years CBM B.O would probably go 1.spidey 2.cap 3.Xmen 4.Gotg. But if disney do extremely well with Thor 2 than I would move gotg to number 3. I would also move gotg to number 3 once I hear who Disney have lined up to do the merchandising for the movie, because with pg13 comic movies that extra promotion helps GREATLY.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #133
Mars123
Side-Kick

All I know, is the movie is epic, being filmed in 3d, a stellar cast, It's not a Cheap movie to make, maybe the most expensive, so fox are gonna want a big return for sure

Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #134
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Cap bigger than X-Men?cap did less than Origins did and cap had 3-d.

All these july and august releases should dismiss these assuminations GotG Is guranteed
blcokbuster.GotG Is very obscue title.

Disney promated the hell out of The Lone ranger and it still bombed.

GotG Is not going to outgross X-Men.DOFP Is event film with star power.

A full X-Men team film with some of more recoganzble characters and actors GA knows
Is going to do better.Plus DOFP has better release date and already has better promation.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #135
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cap bigger than X-Men?cap did less than Origins did and cap had 3-d.

All these july and august releases should dismiss these assuminations GotG Is guranteed
blcokbuster.GotG Is very obscue title.

Disney promated the hell out of The Lone ranger and it still bombed.

GotG Is not going to outgross X-Men.DOFP Is event film with star power.

A full X-Men team film with some of more recoganzble characters and actors GA knows
Is going to do better.Plus DOFP has better release date and already has better promation.
Yes but Cap did better than First Class and The Wolverine, also if Disney do well with Thor 2 (which with the insane promotion and tie-ins they did as well as the bump from the avengers they got for iron man) than Cap could end up outgrossing xmen, Marvel have changed the game, they have B list characters like iron man outgrossing spidey and thor outgrossing wolverine and the xmen, and now they have Disney distribution and marketing, what kind of insane box office magic can they do next.

Essentially the future of how the box office for CBMs are predicted is gonna be set when the box office for Thor 2 comes back, will Disney treat Marvel like Pixar or their other live action studios.

With Fox not being allowed the mix of Promotion that disney has (eg Cartoons and merchandise ads on nickeloden every 15 minutes) then Xmen outgrossing Disneys flagship marvel picture could prove to be a hard task. Without the movies they're just isn't anything (apart from comics) that is building or rebuilding the audiences familiarity with these characters. Kids just don't know these characters and there has been nothing being done in the past couple of years to refamiliarise them.

Again this Xmen films BO performance is interesting to watch, could Fox do what Universal did with the Fast and Furious franchise and take the franchise from being something that everyone knows about but doesn't really care for, to a global box office juggernaut without the tools that Comic book movies usually have to ensure such a task? Could be fun to see (I work with numbers, numbers are fun... for me

Also there is a very large list of reasons why Lone Ranger bombed including under promotion, and even an odd conspiracy that disney makes sure they have a film bomb every year so that they can pay less in taxes. For 2014 they're predicting the bomb's gonna be something called Maleficcient. I personally don't believe it, but it sounds really evil and manipulative, something billion dollar companies are known for.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #136
Zarex
Side-Kick

I don't know how anyone can be that confident in how DOFP, CA:TWS and GOTG will end up in terms of box office totals. I originally penciled in the X-Men sequel as the leader with a $600 million world wide gross, but I'm starting to waver. CA:TWS has been called Avengers 1.5 by Anthony Mackie, and with a number of returning characters it could get a sizeable (like IM3) "post-Avengers" bump. DOFP is a much more established franchise than GOTG, but the dour tone of Singer's leaked footage is such a sharp contrast to the over-the-top antics from Gunn & Company, I'm thinking FOX was very wise to move the scheduled release date of their Marvel film as far away from that one as possible.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #137
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah there is a huge contrast between those two. GOTG looks like a hell of alot of fun. That footage was awesome! So much cool ****. Kids are gonna be begging their parents to see that one. I think all those flicks are gonna pull a success. Even without Sentinels the DOFP stuff looked pretty good and definitely interesting. Don't see people skipping that flick. It's already a must see.

Best all these movies are far apart though. Shoving blockbusters every week isn't exactly working for the box office right now.

Last edited by def28; 08-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #138
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post

The last X-Men movie that really got a lot of buzz was X-Men 3 and the movie ended up as the 4th top-grossing film of 2006 in the U.S. and 7th top-grossing film of 2006 worldwide. And right now, DOFP is having almost the same hype that X3 got in 2005/2006.

And don't even compare 90210 and Pretty Little Liars to X-Men. TV shows and movies are two different mediums and I'm very updated with TV ratings and I know those shows only get buzz from teenagers.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #139
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I don't know how anyone can be that confident in how DOFP, CA:TWS and GOTG will end up in terms of box office totals. I originally penciled in the X-Men sequel as the leader with a $600 million world wide gross, but I'm starting to waver. CA:TWS has been called Avengers 1.5 by Anthony Mackie, and with a number of returning characters it could get a sizeable (like IM3) "post-Avengers" bump. DOFP is a much more established franchise than GOTG, but the dour tone of Singer's leaked footage is such a sharp contrast to the over-the-top antics from Gunn & Company, I'm thinking FOX was very wise to move the scheduled release date of their Marvel film as far away from that one as possible.
So since some little-known actor called it Avengers 1.5, we're supposed to take it as gospel? This is coming out in April.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #140
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
So since some little-known actor called it Avengers 1.5, we're supposed to take it as gospel? This is coming out in April.
Yeah I doubt its gonna be a big blockbuster with the April release date. At best, it would perform slightly better than Fast Five - the only movie that was released in April to get more 200m at the domestic box-office. Maybe if its opening the summer but no.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #141
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Thinking it's not going to be a big blockbuster is also ignorant - Captain America 2 is going to be big, anyone that's doubting that is being silly. By the time it gets here it will be riding off Iron Man 3 and Thor, not to mention still riding some of the residual fanfare from Avengers last year. Also, not giving GOTG the credit it's due too is also not very smart.

It has the Marvel Studios name tag all over it not to mention judging by the leaked footage from today it's totally going into a completely different tone that will be very appealing to families whereas DOFP is going in a more serious tone which is more appropriate for the storyline of the movie.

Stop using your bias to try and downplay GOTG or Captain America 2 and try to pump up DOFP more because it will only hurt you and the movie in the end.

Polls on random websites and trending topics on social networks should absolutely NOT be used as the end all be all to gauge hype for a movie. They barely even touch upon what the general market is thinking and they sell the movie.

Last edited by SuperT; 08-12-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #142
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Thinking it's not going to be a big blockbuster is also ignorant - Captain America 2 is going to be big, anyone that's doubting that is being silly. By the time it gets here it will be riding off Iron Man 3 and Thor, not to mention still riding some of the residual fanfare from Avengers last yet. Also, not giving GOTG the credit it's due too is also not very smart.

It has the Marvel Studios name tag all over it not to mention judging by the leaked footage from today it's totally going into a completely different tone that will be very appealing to families whereas DOFP is going in a more serious tone which is more appropriate for the storyline of the movie.

Stop using your bias to try and downplay GOTG or Captain America 2 and try to pump up DOFP more because it will only hurt you and the movie in the end.

Polls on random websites and trending topics on social networks should absolutely NOT be used as the end all be all to gauge hype for a movie. They barely even touch upon what the general market is thinking and they sell the movie.
Ummm having a different opinion isn't being ignorant. And I'm not being bias, Cap 2/GOTG doesn't have a release date that is tested to superhero films. Maybe if Cap 2 is opening the summer, I could see it performing like a Iron Man/Spider-Man movie but no. And GOTG underperforming wouldn't be the first sci-fi film to underperform at the box-office. Just because it has a Marvel logo, it doesn't mean its already a guaranteed success. It doesn't have a well-known director and the cast, I don't think any of them are big draw and even if Vin Diesel is voicing one of the characters, I just don't think its enough. And I saw that leaked footage, it doesn't look very appealing, its mostly action with the vibe of John Carter/Pacific Rim (lol) and I'm considering myself a casual viewer because I don't know anything about GOTG.

And I already said before as long as DOFP gets more than $460 million worldwide, I'd be satisfied and I'm pretty confident it will at least get $460 million next year. Its not much especially if the budget is over 200 million, but at least (without considering price inflation) it will be the top grossing X-Men film and it will just prove my point that this franchise should continue releasing films with the original cast.

And about trending topics/buzz/hype, sometimes it shows which films will perform great at the box-office. Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel had a lot of hype last year. In 2011, The Avengers/Dark Knight Rises had a lot of hype. In 2005, X3. In 2006, SM3.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-13-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #143
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Thinking it's not going to be a big blockbuster is also ignorant - Captain America 2 is going to be big, anyone that's doubting that is being silly. By the time it gets here it will be riding off Iron Man 3 and Thor, not to mention still riding some of the residual fanfare from Avengers last year. Also, not giving GOTG the credit it's due too is also not very smart.

cap 2 wont flop but just like it's last film cap will be the lowest grossing of the sequels

cap is just a character people care for and visually not the most appealing hero compared to hulk,thor,and iron man's visual flair

Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #144
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ummm having a different opinion isn't being ignorant. And I'm not being bias, Cap 2/GOTG doesn't have a release date that is tested to superhero films. Maybe if Cap 2 is opening the summer, I could see it performing like a Iron Man/Spider-Man movie but no. And GOTG underperforming wouldn't be the first sci-fi film to underperform at the box-office. Just because it has a Marvel logo, it doesn't mean its already a guaranteed success. It doesn't have a well-known director and the cast, I don't think any of them are big draw and even if Vin Diesel is voicing one of the characters, I just don't think its enough. And I saw that leaked footage, it doesn't look appealing and I'm considering myself a casual viewer because I don't know anything about GOTG.

And I already said before as long as DOFP gets more than $460 million worldwide, I'd be satisfied and I'm pretty confident it will at least get $460 million next year.
Regardless If I see the films the assumination that every film that disney/MS puts out will be mega blockbuster Is bad one.

Thor made 181 million back in 2011 and Cap made 177 million back In 2011 there Is no gurantee the avengers connection will work for them like Iron Man 3.And by the way both Iron Man and Iron Man 2 did over 300 Million pre avengers.And history has proven a lot of sequels do less than original.
spider-man 2,The empire strikes back,and Star Trek Into Darkness are examples of this.

Plus you have to ask why didn't disney give Cap the may release?

GotG Is coming out In August.a couple of weeks after dawn of planet of the apes the followup to one of 2011's biggest surprise hits.Look at this summer.
Lot of july and august releases aren't doing meagblockbuster.

I know nothing about GotG so It doesn't matter to me what It does.This Is obscue title with no stars.Zoe saldana will be under makeup so Star Trek fans won't even know she Is In film.

And may I remind some some boosting on GotG are same ones who said man of steel would go 1 billion worldwide.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #145
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also, not giving GOTG the credit it's due too is also not very smart.
After seeing the Comic-Con footage, and not having seen anything from The Winter Soldier or Amazing Spider-Man 2, Guardians of the Galaxy is now my second most anticipated movie of 2014. It's different. It's fresh. The kids will probably eat it up. I think it could be big.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #146
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
And may I remind some some boosting on GotG are same ones who said man of steel would go 1 billion worldwide.
You know what even though I only gave Man of Steel a prediction of $500 million gross (lol, though I was right that it won't be a critically-acclaimed film), my prediction is still closer to its $648 worldwide gross right now than the prediction of those people who thought it was gonna gross higher than $800 million to 1 billion.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #147
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know nothing about GotG so It doesn't matter to me what It does.This Is obscue title with no stars.Zoe saldana will be under makeup so Star Trek fans won't even know she Is In film.
Yeah, cause Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close, Vin Diesel and John C Reily are all unknowns and its really difficult to see someones face when they are painted a different color. Plus no one watched Walking Dead, Doctor who or Parks and Recreation.

Bunch of no stars.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #148
BMM
Side-Kick

Blah. Vin Diesel. I think he's the biggest box office draw of that bunch, but he's also the one I dislike the most. I really would have preferred he not be cast in a Marvel film, though I guess I should just be thankful he wasn't cast in an X-Men film instead.

Last edited by BMM; 08-13-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #149
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah, cause Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close, Vin Diesel and John C Reily are all unknowns and its really difficult to see someones face when they are painted a different color. Plus no one watched Walking Dead, Doctor who or Parks and Recreation.

Bunch of no stars.
TV shows are different. The Walking Dead wasn't getting 10 million viewers per episode right away in its 1st season. Parks & Recreation's ratings weren't great in the 1st season.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #150
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Walking Dead wasn't getting 10 million viewers per episode right away in its 1st season. Parks & Recreation's ratings weren't great in the 1st season.
Not sure what your point is here?

Closed Thread