Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #176
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
Just a note. 2 weeks is normally the space between 2 blockbusters. I mean it happens all the time, if it were one week there would be trouble, but 2 weeks is normally them right ammount of time between blockbusters. Doesn't thor and hunger games have a 2 week gap?
Yup!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #177
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
GOTG might suffer from the movies that will be released in July. July 2014 has Malifecent, Fast/Furious 7 and Planet of the Apes. And 1 week before its release date, 2 sci-fi films will be released - Hercules/Jupiter Ascending.

GOTG might perform like Elysium just slightly better. It won't be #1 for weeks since it will be facing Expendables 3, Dracula and Fifty Shades of Grade.
RIDICULOUS the competition that GOTG will face is 50 shades which is aimed at a completley different market, and Hercules/Jupiter Ascending (one of these movies will flop by the way, probably Hercules). Jupiter Ascending looks more like a space movie without aliens, and won't appeal to the Family crowd

GOTG will perform MUCH BETTER than Elysium. And will probably be number 1 until Expendables 3 that comes out a full 2 weeks after, Dracula is an R Rated horror. Stop being bias. GOTG will do just fine.

Also Captain Ameriaca should do well. It should do similar to Disneys Recent Oz movie, and that is genuinely justifiable. It should make $400 mil just because its a sequel and then it should get another boost from the Avengers and then another boost because Disney will market the hell out of this thing, disney like their subsidiaries and I expect that they will treat Marvel like Pixar and go all out.

Also everyone seems to forget that MARVEL HAVE A TV SHOW ON ABC. If that aint marketing I don't know what is.

I do agree with you though DOFP will most likely do $460mil-$500mil WW. But Fox really needs it to do more if they want to expand the franchise, otherwise they're gonna stretch it to a point where it will just become unjustifiable. And with DC/Warner entering the marketplace Fox could soon be relegated out of the Summer blockbuster zone entirely.

Last edited by GenUsername; 08-13-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #178
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

-Hercules has Dwayne Johnson.
-Pacific Rim had robots and dinosaurs or aliens and it can easily be seen a family movie but didn't do well (except for China, of course).
-2 Guns and Elysium were R-rated and opened at #1.
-FOX's X-Men has been competing with WB's summer movies since 2000. So there's nothing to worry about.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-13-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #179
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
-Hercules has Dwayne Johnson.
-Pacific Rim had robots and dinosaurs or aliens and it can easily be seen a family movie but didn't do well (except for China, of course).
-2 Guns and Elysium were R-rated and opened at #1.
-Hercules has ONLY The Rock as a recognisable face (I will NEVER call him Dwayne Johnson, THE ROCK sounds more awesome), is being written by an unknown writer and being directed by Brett Ratner so it has a strong possibility of sucking. Also Jupiter Ascending sounds like its gonna be more grand and will most likely be marketed as the Matrix directors' return to a more "mainstream" scifi pic.
- Pacific Rim flopped because, for some reason Adam Sandler is still huge in America and to the GA it just looked like a Transformers rip-off (articles were written over the issue), it had also had a title that didnt really scream "aliens vs robots", also there hundreds of reasons as to why some films flop. I personally believe the reason that states that the GA likes to think they're smart and by just marketing the"aliens vs robots" aspect so bluntly the way WB did, set the movie up for failure. Paramount wouldn't just advertise a Michael Bay movie with just explosions and boobs.
- 2 guns and Elysium both debuted with low grossing Number 1s. 2 Guns went up against The Wolverines second week and in all honesty GOTG will have a higher second week and opening weekend than The Wolverine. Marvel already have no problem having second tier characters like Thor outgross the Xmen films and now that Disney are handling the marketing and distribution that problem should just disappear completley.
-since 2000 WB have only had 1 superman film, 3 batmans and 1 green lantern (flop) all of them released sporadically through the past 13 years. Dc are now playing the game seriously and have the means to make their characters much bigger than Fox's. Disney/marvel will most likely own the summer, DC will most likely release in the Summer and spidey will also use the Summer. Fox have nowhere to release unless they plan on oversaturating the summer market with superhero films. If disney are gonna use November to release their second Marvel movie of the year then the only place Fox could logically place their movie is in March, which is what they're doing with F4. March is usually known for quieter numbers with some exceptions breaking through.

Last edited by GenUsername; 08-13-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #180
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Though "Hercules" is a well-known Greek mythology character and Jupiter Ascending might be a surprise hit. The thing is by the end of July, the GA would be worn out seeing sci-fi films and instead of watching another sci-film or another film based on comic-book characters, they would go out to see a horror flick, comedy flick or a chick flick or an animated film. The Conjuring/The Heat did very well this summer and there will be a hit like them next year, the 50 Shades of Grey could easily outshine GOTG.

And August is usually not as strong compare to May/June/July when it comes to selling tickets. And Thor didn't outgross X1/X2/X3/Origins, if you count price inflation. It outsold First Class and The Wolverine but those films were spin-offs and didn't feature the original cast. Imagine if Thor released a spin-off film for Loki, Sif or those 3 guys that are always in the background. It wouldn't perform as well as Thor 1.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #181
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Quote:
Though "Hercules" is a well-known Greek mythology character and Jupiter Ascending might be a surprise hit. The thing is by the end of July, the GA would be worn out seeing sci-fi films and instead of watching another sci-film or another film based on comic-book characters, they would go out to see a horror flick, comedy flick or a chick flick or an animated film. The Conjuring/The Heat did very well this summer and there will be a hit like them next year, the 50 Shades of Grey could easily outshine GOTG.

And August is usually not as strong compare to May/June/July when it comes to selling tickets. And Thor didn't outgross X1/X2/X3/Origins, if you count price inflation. It outsold First Class and The Wolverine but those films were spin-offs and didn't feature the original cast. Imagine if Thor released a spin-off film for Loki, Sif or those 3 guys that are always in the background. It wouldn't perform as well as Thor 1.
You have an interesting point with audience exhaustion of sci-fi movies. However 50 Shades is gonna be R Rated and I honestly imagine its just gonna repeat the business of Magic Mike, sex does not sell movies like it did before. 50 shades is also in a completely different market. Also apart from the R rated Dracula flick there is nothing else new to see around the time.

Also all sense is lost once someone says "count price inflation", those movies came out years ago. The fact Thor,a B list character, has done something the characters comic book sales never could and OUTSOLD the WOLVERINE and the xmen is REMARKABLE. I mean don't you know how ridiculous the argument of a Thor spin off sounds, the fact that Thor alone is outgrossing anything X related is insane, unforeseen, just plain crazy and honestly should not have ever happened. If someone told me 15 years ago that Iron Man and Thor will earn more money than Wolverine and the Xmen I would have slapped in fear they've gone mad. it all goes to show Marvel have the tools and resources to make their characters big, and right now it appears they know how to make them bigger than the xmen.

If fox don't know how to make Woverine big than I have doubts they will know how to handle far out spin offs like "xforce". and if wolverine is way more popular than F4 and is currently on track to finish with $360mil I genuinely wonder how much money can that property possibly make.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #182
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

DOFP is #2 right now in IMDb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
If fox don't know how to make Woverine big than I have doubts they will know how to handle far out spin offs like "xforce".
I have my doubts too on X-Force thats why I don't want that film to enter production.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #183
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Game Of Thrones, Doctor Who, Walking Dead and True Blood are extremely mainstream shows. Which means alot of the general audience watches them.
I don't know about "extremely mainstream". Here in Australia you can't even catch most of them on regular TV, their appeal is more niche than broad. Plus being a TV star doesn't make you a movie star; how many great movie roles has Anna Paquin done on the back of True Blood in the six years that the show has been on?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #184
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I don't know about "extremely mainstream". Here in Australia you can't even catch most of them on regular TV, their appeal is more niche than broad. Plus being a TV star doesn't make you a movie star; how many great movie roles has Anna Paquin done on the back of True Blood in the six years that the show has been on?
I disagree with this but I live in the States. Those shows are huge out here. 12.4 million rating for an episode is ridiculous for Walking Dead. Thats record breaking for a scripted cable show.

Paquin hasn't been in anything post True blood, but Alot of actors get big from TV. I really don't see how this can be argued. Paquins popularity right now is cause of that show.

Last edited by def28; 08-13-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #185
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Paquin hasn't been in anything post True blood, but Alot of actors get big from TV. I really don't see how this can be argued. Paquins popularity is cause of that show.
It is, but it doesn't mean that the audience who like her show will automatically be interested in seeing her playing a character who is not Sookie in movies. With TV actors, their popularity is often tied with playing a particular character, and once the show is over they can struggle.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #186
Project862006
Banned User

walking dead is huge but you honestly think anyone would know andrew lincolon if he were in a movie? hardly

9 times out of 10 the show is more iconic than the actors

Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #187
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
walking dead is huge but you honestly think anyone would know andrew lincolon if he were in a movie? hardly
I dont think people would recognize his name but I def think they would know his face and say hey thats Rick from WD.

People will say the same for Dinklage. They said the same with Gandolfini. Theres been alot of cases like that.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #188
Project862006
Banned User

hard to miss a midget

Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #189
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
hard to miss a midget
But how do they know that guy? Or more importantly how do they know they like him? Tons of people who are famous for TV shows get recognized. Rather they get more known for being in an actual good movie is a different story. Doesn't matter who is in a flick a bad movie is a bad movie. Rather it stars that guy from Lost or that chick from Alias. It's gotta be good for it to further their careers.

I'm seeing alot of people not giving the GA enough credit. If they regularly watch a show every week, theres no reason they shouldn't be able to recognize a face. If they can't do that, then how the heck do they remember someone who was in a movie 2 years ago?

Last edited by def28; 08-13-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #190
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
It is, but it doesn't mean that the audience who like her show will automatically be interested in seeing her playing a character who is not Sookie in movies. With TV actors, their popularity is often tied with playing a particular character, and once the show is over they can struggle.
The same could be said for acting in general though. They need to choose good characters and roles that appeal to a wide audience. Big budget comic films do just that. Add to the fact they already have an audience and yeah I believe that helps quite a bit. For me personally, I always get stoked to see my favorite tv actors in a live action film, especially comic flicks.I don't see why the viewing audience would think differently.

Its not as popular of a show, but If Evan Peters wasn't in American Horror Story alot of people on here would just know him from his bit role in Kick Ass and probably wonder why that guy is playing him. I'm not saying everyone in the world watches the same show or sees the same movies. That's impossible, and there will always be someone who hasn't seen or heard something regardless of popularity. But alot of these actors from the previous shows I mentioned do have a mainstream audience. They are not small indie shows that get low ratings.

Last edited by def28; 08-13-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #191
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
So since some little-known actor called it Avengers 1.5, we're supposed to take it as gospel? This is coming out in April.
At Comic-con, Kevin Feige called CA:TWS the linchpin between Avengers 1 and 2, and much more connected to both films than either the Thor or Iron Man sequels. If you don't want to believe one of the lead actors of the film, maybe you can believe him.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #192
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I'm still gonna watch CA as I'm a Marvel Zombie all the way. But I can't help but feel that tying the good Captain more closely to last Summer's Avengers, as your post have spelled out is Marvel's way of making one of their less profitable franchise make more money. Kudos to Feige (I really am indifferent to this guy, I feel he is Marvel's Rothman).

Old 08-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #193
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
But I can't help but feel that tying the good Captain more closely to last Summer's Avengers, as your post have spelled out is Marvel's way of making one of their less profitable franchise make more money.
Agreed - Marvel wouldn't be paying the price to have four key cast members from the Avengers film onscreen if the first one did gangbusters. SHIELD is fulfilling the same function with the Cap sequel as Batman with the MOS sequel and the original trilogy cast (and Wolverine) with the XM:FC follow-up.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #194
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Agreed - Marvel wouldn't be paying the price to have four key cast members from the Avengers film onscreen if the first one did gangbusters. SHIELD is fulfilling the same function with the Cap sequel as Batman with the MOS sequel and the original trilogy cast (and Wolverine) with the XM:FC follow-up.
You say that as if Marvel is paying these actors huge sums of money. Try telling that to anyone NOT named Robert Downey Jr.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #195
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Scarlett Johansson,Samuel L jakcson,and CObie SMolders all have more films on their contracts.And we know Feige can be cheap In deals.Robert Downey JR may be getting a fortune to do 2 sequels to Avengers.

Thor 2 and cap 2 will tell us how MS films that don't star Robert DOwney JR will do post avengers.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #196
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I'm still gonna watch CA as I'm a Marvel Zombie all the way. But I can't help but feel that tying the good Captain more closely to last Summer's Avengers, as your post have spelled out is Marvel's way of making one of their less profitable franchise make more money. Kudos to Feige (I really am indifferent to this guy, I feel he is Marvel's Rothman).
Obviously they want Captain America's film to sell more. He's supposed to be the leader figure of The Avengers!

Who knew Iron Man and Thor was gonna outsold his first film!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #197
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

By all accounts cap 2 Is both real sequel to avengers and prelude to Avengers:Rise of Ultron.The rest are mostly stand alone films.GotG has no connection to Avengers:Rise of ultron.May It Connects to inevital third avengers film.

I really hope In Rise of ultron the avengers are less shield squard and more like classic avengers.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #198
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't see Cap 2 as Avengers 2 simply because its not featuring 3 of the core four of the Avengers team. Its more like a spin-off or just another film under the "Captain America film franchise" and MCU.

What I'm interested is if there's a Cap 3 movie, are they gonna have the Shield members appear in the Cap movie again as supporting characters. Unlike with Thor/Iron Man, Captain America doesn't have his group of characters yet that we might see in every Captain America film.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #199
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

I like this article. I think it sums things up nicely. But, only time will tell. Big Franchises have all been suffering as of late.

http://www.boxoffice.com/articles/20...t-film-of-2014

#3) Audience Loyalty

It's easy to look at the declining domestic returns of X-Men-related sequels as a sign that demand in the series can't be reinvigorated. As mentioned earlier, however, it's not as if the sequels have maintained consistent quality. That's a major reason why The Wolverine sold fewer tickets on opening weekend than any previous franchise entry. By the same token, even that film is on target for a finish of at least $125 million domestically--meaning all six films in the franchise will have crossed that mark (the first two films topping $200 million in their time). Overseas returns help make these sequels more financially feasible in the face of declining domestic revenue, but the fact that they still draw respectable business amid mediocre word of mouth proves that not all fans (or general audiences) have given up on the brand yet. It has endurance.

#4) Lawrence, Jackman, McKellen, Stewart, Fassbender, McAvoy, et al...
Since First Class released, Jennifer Lawrence has experienced a phenomenal rise to stardom thanks to her Oscar-winning turn in Silver Linings Playbook and the breakout blockbuster run of The Hunger Games and its forthcoming sequels. She's not the star of this series, but she'll add a significant amount of appeal to Days of Future Past for audiences who left the franchise behind several sequels ago. The even bigger casting story of the film is the return of Hugh Jackman (the franchise's most enduring character/actor) along with original cast members Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Halle Berry. Not to be forgotten are the former two's younger counterparts James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, both of whom gave popular turns in First Class. In short, the ensemble cast is one of the most impressive collection of new and veteran marquee names we've seen in awhile. Non-fans will have a hard time not noticing.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #200
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I hope its going to be a big success!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Closed Thread