Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #51
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
But that doesn't make any sense. Professor X is one of the ones who comes up with the idea to send Logan back to fix the timeline to stop the dysotopian time they're in from happening. If he's just in the regular time period, then how would he know about the screwed up time? We've seen all the OT cast members in their own Mad Maxy costumes, so they are very likely in that time frame somehow too. There's very much a possibility that there was something that was misinterpreted by the poster.

Plus Singer in a recent interview only mentions two timelines. The future one with the OT cast, and the past one with the FC cast.

Sorry, but having a whole separate group just does not make sense in my mind, and makes no sense in the context of the film. I'm not going to believe that until I see it for myself.
I don't know if you have seen the midcredits scene in The Wolverine yet, but that implies the growing threat of Trask/Sentinels rather than a terrible apocalyptic world already existing.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Wolverine arrives at an airport and meets Magneto and Xavier who are in normal clothing in a public place and not in battle uniforms or some dark world of rubble and destruction.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #52
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
It makes perfect sense. It's all screwed up. The period in which Professor X is in, is still a terrible period. The X-Men are still fighting sentinels when they send Wolverine's consciousness back in time.

However, further along that same timeline, the Mark X sentinel is released in 2020, and most likely eradicates much of the mutant population leaving an older Wolverine, and his Mad Max mutants leading a resistance.

It doesn't have to be anything major or dominate much screentime. As many have theorized, it is most likely a prologue at the start of the film. We see older Logan die at the hands of sentinels and then the action switches to the present day team beginning to wage the war that they are destined to lose unless they do something drastic. And if, as others have suggested, Bishop arrives from 2023 and tells our team that they're ultimately screwed - that's what could spur the decision to send Wolverine to 1973.
Then it sounds like a waste of those characters. I'm pretty sure that Singer once said that they're not going to just throw characters in for small cameos and such. And again, all those pictures that Singer first tweeted out of the OT cast has them all in their own version of the Mad Max-y costumes, so it makes sense that they're far enough in the future that they do have to deal with the world pretty much in ruin. Plus, I think several of the new characters have talked about interacting with the OT cast members, and if Bishop is the only one to travel back from them, then it wouldn't make sense for them to work together. Having the three separate timelines in that scenario sounds like too much when they already have so much on their plate with just two timelines.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #53
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't know if you have seen the midcredits scene in The Wolverine yet, but that implies the growing threat of Trask/Sentinels rather than a terrible apocalyptic world already existing.
Wolverine arrives at an airport and meets Magneto and Xavier who are in normal clothing in a public place and not in battle uniforms or some dark world of rubble and destruction.
I've seen it. It doesn't mean that they instantly go to sending Logan back in time from there. They know of the growing threat, it doesn't mean they go straight into time travel as the solution.

Another thing that just struck me from the footage recaps, they talk about Xavier having just dreamed about something from the past. From the whole thing, I gathered that he finally remembered something in the far past, and that it was his idea when everything else stopped working and the world had already crumbled. We know for a fact that they get to a point where they have to wear the darker battle uniforms because we've seen them in Singer's tweets and those promo images that came out around Comic Con. They have to get to that point where they need to go to those extremes or having them wear and do that stuff won't work.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #54
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Then it sounds like a waste of those characters. I'm pretty sure that Singer once said that they're not going to just throw characters in for small cameos and such. And again, all those pictures that Singer first tweeted out of the OT cast has them all in their own version of the Mad Max-y costumes, so it makes sense that they're far enough in the future that they do have to deal with the world pretty much in ruin. Plus, I think several of the new characters have talked about interacting with the OT cast members, and if Bishop is the only one to travel back from them, then it wouldn't make sense for them to work together. Having the three separate timelines in that scenario sounds like too much when they already have so much on their plate with just two timelines.
Well they ain't cameos they will probably have a role in the future

Logan will interact with them characters probably

Bishop will probably have some interaction with the OT at some point

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-31-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #55
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Bishop could travel back in time to the OT and basically say your dead in the future which will show them they have no hope in this war then xavier sends back wolverine to the 70s

How the time travel stuff works who knows, may be one way trip for bishop

It was sorta done in the 90s animated series
It just seems like a waste of time storytelling wise for someone to get sent back to 2013 from the grim 2023 just to say "hey, you're ****ed" and get them to travel back in time from 2013 to 1973, when they could have just time traveled to 1973 in the first place.

I'm not making a prediction one way or another. In my time on these forums, I've noticed that 95% of all pre-release fanboy speculation ends up as false, so I'm not taking any side until I actually have some evidence to work off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
What Singer was saying seemed pretty clear to the folks at IGN... and to me. I'm not sure why it's not to anyone else.
Let's see:

1.) Cyclops and Havok are brothers in the comics
2.) Alex is referred to as "Alex Summers" in the movie, as Cyclops identity as Scott Summers has been obvious throughout the trilogy.
3.) They both have similar powers.

Gee, I wonder why people might assume there's a connection between their movie counterparts.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #56
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
It just seems like a waste of time storytelling wise for someone to get sent back to 2013 from the grim 2023 just to say "hey, you're ****ed" and get them to travel back in time from 2013 to 1973, when they could have just time traveled to 1973 in the first place.

I'm not making a prediction one way or another. In my time on these forums, I've noticed that 95% of all pre-release fanboy speculation ends up as false, so I'm not taking any side until I actually have some evidence to work off of.
There. That's what I couldn't quite put into words. That is rather sloppy storytelling to have on person go to one time just to turn around and say they have to send someone else a completely different way off to another time. You'll have hundreds of people wondering why Bishop wouldn't have just gone straight back to the 70's to stop the whole thing to start with.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #57
Mars123
Side-Kick

I imagine they will go with father/son maybe

Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #58
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:

It matches what singer has said about multiple timelines, It makes sense when you see grey haired wolverine, it makes sense for the large cast they have its pretty much around 6 characters so far in each time period, and certain people's comments about the comic-con trailer suggest it may be the case, but we don't know the full story over it anyway

But who knows we will wait till we find out abit more, but I actually can't see the OT being set in 2023

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-31-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #59
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

All the speculation aside, all I know is this:

I've been wanting Sentinels in an X-Men movie for SOOOOOO long. I let myself buy into the hype that they were going to be (and should have been) in X-Men: The Last Stand, and the fact that Sentinels were never in that movie was about my #1 complaint about the whole thing.

THIS movie is going to be the movie that I wanted X-Men: The Last Stand to be.

THIS movie is probably going to end up being my favorite movie of all freaking time.

I need to get the comics, but from the cartoons, Days of Future Past was always one of my favorite X-Men stories. Sentinels have always been one of my favorite X-Men villains. The fact that Bishop is gonna be included in any capacity is awesome.

The only thing I wish is that Gambit was in this movie. If Gambit was in this movie, it would be the perfect X-Men film for me.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #60
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
There. That's what I couldn't quite put into words. That is rather sloppy storytelling to have on person go to one time just to turn around and say they have to send someone else a completely different way off to another time. You'll have hundreds of people wondering why Bishop wouldn't have just gone straight back to the 70's to stop the whole thing to start with.
So why can't it start in present day, Wolverine goes back to the 70s and fails to stop the Sentinels.

Flash-forward to 2023, apocalyptic future. A real time machine is built and Wolverine s ends Bishop back in time before getting killed himself. Now its like BTTF2 and Bishop has to stop Wolverine from screwing up.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #61
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let's see:

1.) Cyclops and Havok are brothers in the comics
2.) Alex is referred to as "Alex Summers" in the movie, as Cyclops identity as Scott Summers has been obvious throughout the trilogy.
3.) They both have similar powers.

Gee, I wonder why people might assume there's a connection between their movie counterparts.
1. Singer specifically says they're not brothers in the movieverse, and it was clear to the IGN folks (and me) that the two characters are and were not intended to be related AT ALL.
2. There are numerous examples in real life of people with no relation to one another having the same surname. A case in point: I attended high school with two kids who share my surname (Elmer), and none of us have any relation to one another whatsoever.
3. Just because they have similar powers doesn't mean they are - or have to be - related.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #62
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
1. Singer specifically says they're not brothers in the movieverse, and it was clear to the IGN folks (and me) that the two characters are and were not intended to be related AT ALL.
2. There are numerous examples in real life of people with no relation to one another having the same surname. A case in point: I attended high school with two kids who share my surname (Elmer), and none of us have any relation to one another whatsoever.
3. Just because they have similar powers doesn't mean they are - or have to be - related.
I think the powers thing was intentional tbh, it didnt have to be red

Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #63
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wait....what? I thought it was confirmed that Havok was changed to Cyclopes' father in the movieverse?

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #64
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Quote:
1.) IGN assumed that. I don't think it's intended for them to be not related AT ALL
2.) That's nice, but in storytelling, nothing is without purpose, and you don't just give 2 different characters the same surname just cuz without reason.
3.) In storytelling it certainly is an indicator that they are connected in some fashion.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #65
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

They could still be father and son.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #66
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the powers thing was intentional tbh
The two characters share no blood relation to one another in the movieverse, so the filmmakers clearly kept Alex's powers the way they were in the comics because they worked for the story they were telling. For good or bad, they've shown that they're willing to alter a character's comic-book powers, so there was no real reason they couldn't have done so with Havok.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #67
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
The two characters share no blood relation to one another in the movieverse, so the filmmakers clearly kept Alex's powers the way they were in the comics because they worked for the story they were telling. For good or bad, they've shown that they're willing to alter a character's comic-book powers, so there was no real reason they couldn't have done so with Havok.
I have seen his powers to be blue, so they didn't need to be red in the film ESP when you have cyclops whose his brother in the comics but not in the film universe, I honestly think they must have talked about it when making the film about avoiding confusion even more so with the name summers

I think it was intentional way of linking the 2 together but whether or not they ever planned on explaining any relation is totally different

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-31-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #68
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It was said Cyclops and Haok are related it's just Havok Isn't Cyclops' younger brother.

They could have Cyclops as havok's younger brother out of ultimate X-Men.They could be father and son or some other family connection.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #69
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
2.) That's nice, but in storytelling, nothing is without purpose, and you don't just give 2 different characters the same surname just cuz without reason.
3.) In storytelling it certainly is an indicator that they are connected in some fashion.
Mark Evans from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix says 'hi'. J.K. Rowling stated that there was no relation whatsoever between the character of Mark Evans - who is mentioned in passing as being one of the victims of Dudley and his gang in that book - and Harry's mother and aunt's family... and that there was never intended to be.

Quote:
I have seen his powers to be blue, so they didn't need to be red in the film ESP when you have cyclops whose his brother in the comics but not in the film universe, I honestly think they must have talked about it when making the film about avoiding confusion
Hmm. Given that Havok's energy blades were a visual effect, I think the red color was used because it is visually dynamic. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #70
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Again, where has that been said? I could have sworn that they said Havok was Cyclop's dad.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #71
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Here's what Singer says from that IGN article:

Quote:
"It wouldn't physically fit for him to be the brother of Cyclops. We take some liberties on that. There are notions, but, um, I don't want to give away certain interrelations, but let's just say there are some things that do adhere to the comic books and do so in a way the fans will get a kick out of,"
So, Scott and Alex aren't brothers, but I don't see how Singer's words rule out Scott and Alex being related at all.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #72
JP
To me

I don't see how that rules out anything.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #73
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Again, where has that been said? I could have sworn that they said Havok was Cyclop's dad.
If that was said anywhere, I'm not aware of it. All I'm aware of is the article I linked to earlier, and Singer makes no specific mention of having shifted the sibling relationship between the two characters to something else. Instead, he gives a vague 'hedging his bets' answer that seems to imply that FC will address the situation. However, there is nothing in First Class itself that even remotely suggests that Havok's inclusion is in any way connected to the much later inclusion of Scott.

Quote:

Last edited by DigificWriter; 07-31-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #74
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
If that was said anywhere, I'm not aware of it. All I'm aware of is the article I linked to earlier, and Singer makes no specific mention of having shifted the sibling relationship between the two characters to something else. Instead, he gives a vague 'hedging his bets' answer that seems to imply that FC will address the situation. However, there is nothing in First Class itself that even remotely suggests that Havok's inclusion is in any way connected to the much later inclusion of Scott.
That was from the article you linked earlier.

Quote:
There's nothing to reveal because he isn't related to Scott.
Source

Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #75
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Mark Evans from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix says 'hi'. J.K. Rowling stated that there was no relation whatsoever between the character of Mark Evans - who is mentioned in passing as being one of the victims of Dudley and his gang in that book - and Harry's mother and aunt's family... and that there was never intended to be.

Hmm. Given that Havok's energy blades were a visual effect, I think the red color was used because it is visually dynamic. I could be wrong, though.
Mark Evans is a completely different situation. Mark Evans was mentioned once in an offhand comment and never brought up again, and was clearly a case where the writer just threw a name in there without thinking about it.

Havok, on the other hand, is a character who in his original adaptation was related to Cyclops, AND one of the major players in the film, so if they gave him the last name Summers, then they're clearly supposed to be related.

Also, as other's have said, Singer's comments don't rule out them being related in any way. In fact, it hints that there is some kind of relation. So I don't know where you're getting that they weren't intended to be related.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Closed Thread