The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
Andreth
Side-Kick

Default Re: Zach Snyder plans to speak with Frank Miller for MoS Sequel

oh noooooo

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
Umm no. It's a downside for Superman.

Your argument would have a lot more power if Batman had not just HAD a critically acclaimed, successful trilogy that made over a billion dollars at the box office and is considered one of the greatest if not THE greatest superhero franchises of all time.

Your argument would also have a lot more power if historically Batman had been put in a position in comics where he was made to look stupid/out of character in order to raise up Superman. He hasn't. It's the opposite. There is historical precedent wherein people sacrifice Clark Kent at the altar of the Bat.

I'm a Batman fan too but at some point complaining as a "Bat fan" just starts to look...greedy. You guys just GOT an amazing trilogy.

I think the concerns about Batman taking over this film and stealing focus from what the REAL story should have been for a Man of steel sequel is totally justified.

The Man of STeel sequel SHOULD have been focused on the the introduction of Clark/Lex and the developing love story of Clark/Lois. Now the central relationship is going to be Superman/Batman.

The loser in this is only Superman. It's going to be Superman.
A few things:

I totally agree that MoS should have just got a regular sequel. You'll get no argument out of me there. I've been saying for months and months that Batman should just sit on the shelf while Superman gets the spotlight for a change.

And you're right, in the more modern depictions of their relationship Batman has been given the edge more often than not. But the fact remains that he's a guy who throws Batarangs next to a guy who can toss things out of the atmosphere. The two of them together can very quickly become ridiculous if it's not handled carefully, and doing it in live action is completely uncharted territory. A lot of the GA is not used to seeing them together.

It's not my intention to come off greedy here. I was perfectly content with the trilogy and ready to take a break from Batman films. But this is happening whether I like it or not, and I still care about the character and want what's in his best interest if WB is going after my dollar here. This could potentially dictate the direction of Batman in cinema for the next decade or so...obviously myself and every hardcore Batman fan here has our eye on this.

Again, I'm not saying I want Batman to PWN Superman in this film and just dominate everything. IF Batman is to be Superman's major opponent in this film (like they are heavily implying), then he needs to be a worthy opponent. It's that simple. With kryptonite added to the mix, I don't see why this is such an inherently bad thing. If you're going to introduce a plot device like kryptonite, obviously it will need to be paid off at some point and we'll see Supes more vulnerable. One of the best scenes in Superman Returns is Lex's beatdown of Supes on the kryptonite-infused island. Him stabbing Supes in the back? So badass! If we can have a scene like that in a film, where that version of Lex wasn't even a physically imposing threat...would it really such a crime to have a kryptonite-wielding Batman trade some blows with Supes?

Quite frankly, after the very video-gamey sequence CG Kal and Zod fighting each other while destroying Metropolis...I'd LOVE to see some on the ground, hand to hand stuff between Cavill and ________. It's be visceral and a nice change of pace.

I'm not saying this has to get turned into another Bat-glory hour. I think this should ultimately be a Superman movie where Superman learns something and becomes the better for it (and Batman too...they should learn from each other). As "greedy" as you think it might be for a Bat-fan to have specific wants for this film, I think some Supes fans are coming off a little insecure about the whole "vs" aspect of the movie. If Batman has to cheat to level the playing field I don't see how it reflects badly on Superman if he manages to inflict some damage, especially when he doesn't have Batman's training as a fighter.

Lastly, I think Lex could still be a MAJOR player in this film. I think there could be an interesting hate-triangle of sorts between Bruce, Lex and Superman. Similar to the Batman/Dent/Joker triangle of TDK.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:

Your argument would have a lot more power if Batman had not just HAD a critically acclaimed, successful trilogy that made over a billion dollars at the box office and is considered one of the greatest if not THE greatest superhero franchises of all time.

Your argument would also have a lot more power if historically Batman had been put in a position in comics where he was made to look stupid/out of character in order to raise up Superman. He hasn't. It's the opposite. There is historical precedent wherein people sacrifice Clark Kent at the altar of the Bat.

I'm a Batman fan too but at some point complaining as a "Bat fan" just starts to look...greedy. You guys just GOT an amazing trilogy.

I think the concerns about Batman taking over this film and stealing focus from what the REAL story should have been for a Man of steel sequel is totally justified.

The Man of STeel sequel SHOULD have been focused on the the introduction of Clark/Lex and the developing love story of Clark/Lois. Now the central relationship is going to be Superman/Batman.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #29
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Well, assuming if this new film bombs in every way possible, at least I can try to pretend that MOS was a standalone story, much like SR was, but the difference being that I can enjoy watching MOS over and over again.

It's kind of a shame that Superman has yet to get a direct sequel within the 21st century.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #30
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
A few things:

I totally agree that MoS should have just got a regular sequel. You'll get no argument out of me there. I've been saying for months and months that Batman should just sit on the shelf while Superman gets the spotlight for a change.

And you're right, in the more modern depictions of their relationship Batman has been given the edge more often than not. But the fact remains that he's a guy who throws Batarangs next to a guy who can toss things out of the atmosphere. The two of them together can very quickly become ridiculous if it's not handled carefully, and doing it in live action is completely uncharted territory. A lot of the GA is not used to seeing them together.

It's not my intention to come off greedy here. I was perfectly content with the trilogy and ready to take a break from Batman films. But this is happening whether I like it or not, and I still care about the character and want what's in his best interest if WB is going after my dollar here. This could potentially dictate the direction of Batman in cinema for the next decade or so...obviously myself and every hardcore Batman fan here has our eye on this.

Again, I'm not saying I want Batman to PWN Superman in this film and just dominate everything. IF Batman is to be Superman's major opponent in this film (like they are heavily implying), then he needs to be a worthy opponent. It's that simple. With kryptonite added to the mix, I don't see why this is such an inherently bad thing. If you're going to introduce a plot device like kryptonite, obviously it will need to be paid off at some point and we'll see Supes more vulnerable. One of the best scenes in Superman Returns is Lex's beatdown of Supes on the kryptonite-infused island. Him stabbing Supes in the back? So badass! If we can have a scene like that in a film, where that version of Lex wasn't even a physically imposing threat...would it really such a crime to have a kryptonite-wielding Batman trade some blows with Supes?

Quite frankly, after the very video-gamey sequence CG Kal and Zod fighting each other while destroying Metropolis...I'd LOVE to see some on the ground, hand to hand stuff between Cavill and ________. It's be visceral and a nice change of pace.

I'm not saying this has to get turned into another Bat-glory hour. I think this should ultimately be a Superman movie where Superman learns something and becomes the better for it (and Batman too...they should learn from each other). As "greedy" as you think it might be for a Bat-fan to have specific wants for this film, I think some Supes fans are coming off a little insecure about the whole "vs" aspect of the movie. If Batman has to cheat to level the playing field I don't see how it reflects badly on Superman if he manages to inflict some damage, especially when he doesn't have Batman's training as a fighter.

Lastly, I think Lex could still be a MAJOR player in this film. I think there could be an interesting hate-triangle of sorts between Bruce, Lex and Superman. Similar to the Batman/Dent/Joker triangle of TDK.
Yes. Lex should influence Bruce while Superman investigates a mysterious stranger who frames The Man of Steel. During the fight, to proclaim his innocent Clark should tell Bruce the truth, and Batman should realize the evidence doesn't match up with his preconceived notions. And they should both realize they've been played, but in different ways.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Frank Miller lost his mind sometime in the late 90's. Dark Knight Returns and Year One are both masterworks but the man in his current is not the guy I'd go for story advice. It'd imagine it would be enough just to look at his early work to get inspiration. To me Miller reminds me an awful lot of George Lucas; incandescently brilliant in his early and hungry days but over time bought into his own hype and became something of a parody of his former self. The only difference is that I'm not totally sure if Miller did it unintentionally.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #32
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I'd trust Lucas over Miller

Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So Miller is as crazy as Moore is angry.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #34
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Moore still occasionally pops out good stuff though. Nothing can be said of Miller.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #35
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:

I would agree. And Snyder putting Miller's take on their relationship on a pedestal shows where his mind is at. TAS handled their relationship much better.

I prefer Batman, but this is clearly a decision made by marketing in fear of going against The Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII in the same summer. I don't think Superman will necessarily suffer, but his supporting cast and world that desperately needs to be built up--Lois, Perry, the Planet, Lex Luthor, etc.--will become an afterthought in this scenario.

It is a shame.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #36
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So Superman will become the antagonistic force in his own sequel.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #37
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
So Superman will become the antagonistic force in his own sequel.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #38
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Well, one more point goes to team "This movie is a cash grab".

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #39
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

People who expect DC to follow up like MC which is not gonna happen and WB announcing a sort of 'SupsBAT' movie is solid conformation to that they are taking a different route .

Iam not against it I just want it perfectly done

IMO The sequel to MOS will have to take place few years after the First to show Superman as well established Known Icon as Superhero and not a Newbie in his career .
Then There will be Batmans 'Vigilante' Sort of Image in worlds eye if he is already batman and the story will follow the consequences of uniting them to form a Elite Force .

It can be done well without boring drama and non established bats origin if they do it right .

the only problem is they really made MOS Origins a little stretchy and Gritty which made the film taste Sour .They should have fast forward his origins and made the Flashbacks less traumatic and show superman more 'Happy go lucky' but then maybe we are getting a darker Universe of JL .

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #40
Sup3rman81
Side-Kick

Snyder already said this wont be a DKR themed movie. I am sure he just wants some input from Miller. Either way Snyder rebuilt Superman and for him to have Batman crush him would be insane. Snyder better play this right or he will make loads of fans mad. Another thing, since Snyder is creating this new Batman and this is the one for JLA and future Batman movies, does this mean that Snyder is going to be handling Batman as well?? I guess as long as he keeps Batman's storyline strictly to MOS then whoever directs the Batman movies can just build off that. I just hope we dont see 2 or 3 different Batsuits.

"Man of Steel: Total Pwnage"

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #41
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rman81 View Post
Snyder already said this wont be a DKR themed movie. I am sure he just wants some input from Miller. Either way Snyder rebuilt Superman and for him to have Batman crush him would be insane. Snyder better play this right or he will make loads of fans mad. Another thing, since Snyder is creating this new Batman and this is the one for JLA and future Batman movies, does this mean that Snyder is going to be handling Batman as well?? I guess as long as he keeps Batman's storyline strictly to MOS then whoever directs the Batman movies can just build off that. I just hope we dont see 2 or 3 different Batsuits.
I think that even if Snyder didn't want to destroy Superman with batman, if Warner Bros feels otherwise, then it'll happen, which seems like it might be the case.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #42
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

At this point and time I am thinking about just staying away from this forum because I have just been unhappy with this idea since its announcement because I am a huge Superman fan and felt like MOS should have gotten a true sequel and after hearing this news it just makes me even more upset. I guess this is going to be a wait and see game for me but so far with everything I am hearing I am not happy about this.

Superman Earth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #43
Sup3rman81
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think that even if Snyder didn't want to destroy Superman with batman, if Warner Bros feels otherwise, then it'll happen, which seems like it might be the case.
Then WB is dumb and Snyder would be a sell out. I Superman is who they wanted as a tent pole for JLA and a DCU. you cannot have Batman just wander in and hand Superman his butt. I think its ok for Batman to get the upper hand at some point but overall they are going to be a team and this is a MOS sequel according to Snyder. If they make Superman look like a punk then I think fans should boycott WB and any more DC movies

"Man of Steel: Total Pwnage"

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #44
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rman81 View Post
Then WB is dumb and Snyder would be a sell out. I Superman is who they wanted as a tent pole for JLA and a DCU. you cannot have Batman just wander in and hand Superman his butt. I think its ok for Batman to get the upper hand at some point but overall they are going to be a team and this is a MOS sequel according to Snyder. If they make Superman look like a punk then I think fans should boycott WB and any more DC movies
Honestly, I wish I could give WB more credit but given the fact that they were once known to be impressed with receiving the dailies shot for the likes of "Batman & Robin", enough to production on doing another Batman film with Clooney and O'Donnell before B&R was even released, along with having approved of a film like Green Lantern, I really don't put faith in their usage of common sense.

That and I think Fox is a clear example of how a studio will favor a popular character with the GA over a character who's known canon wise to be viewed upon in a much more higher sense of importance, ala the situation with Wolverine and Cyclops.

Fans, as much as they didn't like seeing what happened to Cyclops, have still continued to overall support the X-Men franchise with Wolverine at its helm.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #45
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I am sorry, but some of the posters are overreacting, It is clear (maybe Not to some) that WB wants to make a Justice League movie which involves a team of Superheroes, not just Batman movies.

And the fact that WB has won almost all of the court cases regarding movie rights to Superman, those lawsuits that were going on for decades, and to think that they will just focus on Batman and ignore Superman is plain ridiculous.

One more thing MOS was a commercial success why would they not make another solo Superman movie in future, can anyone give a convincing answer ?

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #46
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I am sorry, but some of the posters are overreacting, It is clear (maybe Not to some) that WB wants to make a Justice League movie which involves a team of Superheroes, not just Batman movies.

And the fact that WB has won almost all of the court cases regarding movie rights to Superman, those lawsuits that were going on for decades, and to think that they will just focus on Batman and ignore Superman is plain ridiculous.

One more thing MOS was a commercial success why would they not make another solo Superman movie in future, can anyone give a convincing answer ?
Because WBs have contiously made stupid decisions with the DCU?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #47
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Honestly, I wish I could give WB more credit but given the fact that they were once known to be impressed with receiving the dailies shot for the likes of "Batman & Robin", enough to production on doing another Batman film with Clooney and O'Donnell before B&R was even released, along with having approved of a film like Green Lantern, I really don't put faith in their usage of common sense.

That and I think Fox is a clear example of how a studio will favor a popular character with the GA over a character who's known canon wise to be viewed upon in a much more higher sense of importance, ala the situation with Wolverine and Cyclops.

Fans, as much as they didn't like seeing what happened to Cyclops, have still continued to overall support the X-Men franchise with Wolverine at its helm.
GA: If Batman wins, YAY BATMAN!
GA: If Batman loses: Why did he lose?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #48
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
You are assuming that WB is one person.

In past they made some bad decisions, but company is guided by the decisions of the Top level management, the staff working under them are not responsible for failures if the direction is not right.

At that time Alan Horn was CEO, now he has moved to Disney Studios, maybe you should be concerned about Marvel movies.

And Jeff Robinov was the President at that time, he has left WB. Now, a different management is in place, Kevin Tsujihara is the new CEO, let's see what they decide to do.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 08-01-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #49
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
They have not. Was Nolan's trilogy, Man of Steel, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and even Superman Returns stupid decisions?

People always want to bring up the Jonah Hex's and Green Lantern's they've done but never the **** they got absolutely right.

Don't get it.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #50
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
They have not. Was Nolan's trilogy, Man of Steel, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and even Superman Returns stupid decisions?
He's talking about the DCU, though, not ever movie they've made.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote