The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #51
the last son
Side-Kick

Default Re: new Zack Snyder quote implies WB forced Batman/Superman movie instead of MOS2???

The only problem is Mos 2 was well on its way to flopping big time. While I enjoyed it, I doubt most people would be interested in a sequel. Once WB saw the reviews it was Batman all the way

Old 08-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #52
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: new Zack Snyder quote implies WB forced Batman/Superman movie instead of MOS2???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
People are forgetting that there's also gonna have to be a subplot that involves Bruce fighting Clark over Lois. It's not like they're gonna be able just create a new female love interest for Batman out of nowhere so the next logical decision is that he develops a thing for Lois.
And we know this..??

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #53
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
TDKR was a lose-lose-lose situation. Either he allows for an open-ending that potentially undermines his legacy and has WB clamoring to have him direct the sequel, allows someone else to handle Batman 3, or he betrays the spirit of comics by having a close-ending that's out of character.

TBH, only fans are affected by that third option.

That's why I'm soft on TDKR. It wasn't an easy film to make, and yet TDK practically begged for a sequel near the ending. How do you follow that up properly?
A part of me thinks Ledger may have had something to do with it, even subconsciously, imagine directing TDK and you see this great character being portrayed, what creative mind wouldn't have ideas floating around in his head for possible future films involving this character?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #54
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

The love traingle between Lois, Bruce and Clark is weak sauce and makes Lois look like a wishy washy hoe bag.

Hopefully they avoid it.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #55
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
The only problem is Mos 2 was well on its way to flopping big time. While I enjoyed it, I doubt most people would be interested in a sequel. Once WB saw the reviews it was Batman all the way
I have a feeling that the whole Batman/Superman movie plan was in motion long before Man of Steel had it's first review. Did anyone remember about a month before the movie came out, that Cavill randomly said in an interview that he'd like to do a Superman/Batman movie? I think it was done just to see audience reaction, since the reaction was positive, it became the plan. Plus there was that one time Snyder approached Zimmer with ideas for the sequel before the movie came out(to my understanding) and Zimmer said: "Here we go again"

Then this Batman/Superman movie was announced and suddenly all this suddenly fit.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #56
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

If they planned it, then they probably thought of how MOS would fit into WF without too much storytelling damage.. I hope.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #57
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
If they planned it, then they probably thought of how MOS would fit into WF without too much storytelling damage.. I hope.
Considering MoS was finished so early (due to it getting pushed back), and it was back in March that we heard about WB wanting a WF film, I think they've had plenty of time to consider the possibilities of how to do a MOS sequel/WF hybrid sort of film.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #58
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Nah the luke warm response definitely forced Warner Bros to cram Batman in MOS 2.

They need something like Iron Man critically to spring board Justice League, not a rotten movie that divides the fans/critics/public.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #59
the last son
Side-Kick

I'm with WB the way mos connected with fans you do more damage putting out a sequel. If a solo sequel does as poorly as this movie did you can forget about justice and have to reboot superman again. Adding Batman is a risk worth taking because superman sequel was not going to cut it. Add in Batman maybe you win those people back over and down the road do sequels to mos

Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #60
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
wait, mos 2 was going to flop? how could anyone know that?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #61
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
I'm with WB the way mos connected with fans you do more damage putting out a sequel. If a solo sequel does as poorly as this movie did you can forget about justice and have to reboot superman again. Adding Batman is a risk worth taking because superman sequel was not going to cut it. Add in Batman maybe you win those people back over and down the road do sequels to mos
jesus christ.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #62
DvilDog
Side-Kick

Quote:

In what world is 644,000,000 (currently) a failure? For goodness sakes it's the 2nd highest grossing origin story behind the first Spiderman. It still hasn't even released in Japan. I get that some of you didn't like the movie. That's cool, but according to numbers it's successful. So I am all for a WF film, but not because MOS was "failure," but because it has been a long time coming.

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #63
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
And we know this..??
Indeed.

Honestly, Bruce doesn't need to have a "love interest" plot with anyone, let alone with Lois, going into this film.

Like someone else mentioned, the romantic angle of this film could be given solely to Clark and Lois while Batman is given other types of arcs of his own that doesn't involve Romance.

Plus, I'd like to think that Goyer and Snyder aren't that dumb enough to know that no one gives a **** about that kind of love triangle unless you're the kind of person that enjoys needless and forced melodrama.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #64
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Indeed.

Honestly, Bruce doesn't need to have a "love interest" plot with anyone, let alone with Lois, going into this film.

Like someone else mentioned, the romantic angle of this film could be given solely to Clark and Lois while Batman is given other types of arcs of his own that doesn't involve Romance.

Plus, I'd like to think that Goyer and Snyder aren't that dumb enough to know that no one gives a **** about that kind of love triangle unless you're the kind of person that enjoys needless and forced melodrama.
Yea, women and casual movie goers. You ever think maybe the studios make these films for more than just hardcore comic geeks?

Can you name a Batman movie where Batman didn't have some type of love interest written into the story? The answer is no. And do you wanna know why? Because the studio needs to drive home the point that Batman isn't gay and that he digs chicks. And last time I checked, the only chick in this movie is Lois.

There's just no way that they're gonna put Batman in this movie and NOT write in some scenes of him chasing tail. And no I'm not talkin about flirting with models under the guise of Bruce Wayne. People could just interpret them as beards. Batman has to have a genuine romance interest or else his character might alienate a portion of the male audience.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #65
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvilDog View Post
In what world is 644,000,000 (currently) a failure? For goodness sakes it's the 2nd highest grossing origin story behind the first Spiderman. It still hasn't even released in Japan. I get that some of you didn't like the movie. That's cool, but according to numbers it's successful. So I am all for a WF film, but not because MOS was "failure," but because it has been a long time coming.
Gotta admit, it does seem pretty odd to hear people say.
I mean you would think people were talking about green lantern the way they are rationalizing this Batman addition.

Looking that the audience scores and current box office, it's pretty confusing.
I suppose there are those critics that didn't like it.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #66
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dude don't bother, I've been trying to say that for ages but for some people nothing is enough, it's best to let people think what they want to think because you'll just end up arguing in circles, believe me!
The fact is the film is a certified box office hit however it could have had better legs and made more had it been a better film (I thought it was a solid film IMO). But like another poster put it so aptly in order to go up against disney in 2015 you'll need superman and batman because neither of them are gonna cut it against films like averager or star wars or even finding nemo 2 (the original was a monster hit and it wouldn't surprise me if that film could end as one of 2015's biggest earners).

Last edited by Superchan; 08-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #67
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Right, this movie was a long time coming. That's why the director is already implying it might not have been his ideal decision a week after the announcement. That's why he's already consulting with an OUTSIDE writer so that he could help him his shape HIS story in HIS movie... which CLEARLY indicates Snyder had planned this all along.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #68
DvilDog
Side-Kick

MOS was not a perfect film. I am right there with most on this but I still loved it. Now some of you are into the comics and are upset cause him snapping a neck goes against cannon. I'm not into comics so I could care less. Not enough story too much action. The movie has no heart. Evidently some of you are a fickle bunch. After the travesty that was SR everyone yelled and screamed at WB for Supes to hit something, anything! They gave exactly what was asked for and they still can't win you over. Superchan is right, I give up. I respect all of you as posters and you bring some good points to the table that I like to read, but on this we will never agree. MOS was fantastic for me. If you re-released it tomorrow I would go right back to the theater and dish out the cash again. The Bluray cant come soon enough.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #69
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
In what world is 644,000,000 (currently) a failure?
A world where you judge a film's success by a different criteria than how much money it made. Criteria such as how well remembered it was, how much of an impact it had on the culture, how much the general audience was excited about it and talked about it after it's release, how much critical acclaim it's received, how much and in what way the general audience responded to it positively, the opinions of other filmmakers and writers, the effect it had on filmmaking after it's initial release, wether or not it achieved the goals the writer and director set for themselves and to what extent it did so, and so on.

Really, there are a lot of worlds where a movie that made 644,000,000 dollars can still be considered a failure.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #70
DvilDog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Right, this movie was a long time coming. That's why the director is already implying it might not have been his ideal decision a week after the announcement. That's why he's already consulting with an OUTSIDE writer so that he could help him his shape HIS story in HIS movie... which CLEARLY indicates Snyder had planned this all along.

Yes it's been a long time coming. You mean to tell me that you have never said "man wouldn't it be freaking awesome if Supes and Bats were kicking a** and taking names together in a movie? Oh well sucks to be you.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #71
DvilDog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
A world where you judge a film's success by a different criteria than how much money it made. Criteria such as how well remembered it was, how much of an impact it had on the culture, how much the general audience was excited about it and talked about it after it's release, how much critical acclaim it's received, how much and in what way the general audience responded to it positively, the opinions of other filmmakers and writers, the effect it had on filmmaking after it's initial release, wether or not it achieved the goals the writer and director set for themselves and to what extent it did so, and so on.

Really, there are a lot of worlds where a movie that made 644,000,000 dollars can still be considered a failure.
Good on you. If I want critically acclaimed I will watch The Godfather. I don't go to see comic movies because there is a chance they will win oscars. I go to be entertained. Evidently I'm not the connoisseur you are and that's cool man. Continue on without me.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #72
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes it's been a long time coming. You mean to tell me that you have never said "man wouldn't it be freaking awesome if Supes and Bats were kicking a** and taking names together in a movie? Oh well sucks to be you.
Yea, I did. Just not in a movie that's directed by Zach Snyder and written by David Goyer. Just not in a movie which is forced to build upon the horrendous foundation that was laid in the movie before it. Just not in a movie that is so clearly and obviously a shameless cash grab.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #73
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
MOS was not a perfect film. I am right there with most on this but I still loved it. Now some of you are into the comics and are upset cause him snapping a neck goes against cannon. I'm not into comics so I could care less.
That really isn't my complaint.

Quote:
Not enough story too much action. The movie has no heart.
Those are (some of) my complaints.

Quote:
Evidently some of you are a fickle bunch.
How does thinking that the movie didn't have a good story to action ratio and didn't have any heart make me fickle?

Quote:
After the travesty that was SR everyone yelled and screamed at WB for Supes to hit something, anything!
Which was a poor reaction on people's part, because the lack of punching wasn't what was wrong with Superman Returns.

Quote:
They gave exactly what was asked for and they still can't win you over.
Because they didn't to it well. They overdid the action at the expense of other elements the movie sorely needed.

I really don't understand this argument in general, people asking "what does it take to please you people?" It takes a better movie than the one we got. I don't see why thinking that both Superman Returns and Man of Steel aren't very good movies is unreasonable.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #74
DvilDog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
That really isn't my complaint.

Those are (some of) my complaints.

How does thinking that the movie didn't have a good story to action ratio and didn't have any heart make me fickle?

Which was a poor reaction on people's part, because the lack of punching wasn't what was wrong with Superman Returns.

Because they didn't to it well. They overdid the action at the expense of other elements the movie sorely needed.

I really don't understand this argument in general, people asking "what does it take to please you people?" It takes a better movie than the one we got. I don't see why thinking that both Superman Returns and Man of Steel aren't very good movies is unreasonable.
Maybe I'm just a simple minded Marine. Or as I have said before I just don't quite have the IQ to grasp your problems with the movie. Or maybe I just don't see it because, the problems you have with the movie are the problems I don't. I don't think your being unreasonable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have said if you didn't like it that's cool. Personally and this is all opinion, I was fine with the story, I like how it was told. Was it a character driven piece? No. But it's everything I ever wanted in a Superman movie. We will agree to disagree, I certainly hope the next one that comes along knocks your socks off boss.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #75
DvilDog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yea, I did. Just not in a movie that's directed by Zach Snyder and written by David Goyer. Just not in a movie which is forced to build upon the horrendous foundation that was laid in the movie before it. Just not in a movie that is so clearly and obviously a shameless cash grab.

Understood. Don't know what to say to you boss. Sorry I guess.