The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #851
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Yes, potato.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #852
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

This absolutely needs to happen.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 09-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #853
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_SKE View Post
Just got the good news that Captain America: The Winter Soldier will be out the same month as U.S in Japan..on April 2014!!! That means, just 2 months after Thor: The Dark World released (which will be out on 1st February 2014 here)...
That's great news!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #854
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
That's still not point. Trailers do not debut in theaters in front of movies from different studios.
Sure they do. Studios can attach trailers for their own film to prints of another one of their films, so that theaters will know they want that specific trailer to premiere with that specific movie. But they can send their trailers to theaters whenever. If Fox/Sony send trailers for X-Men/Spidey out the week Thor debuts, the theaters will play em. Although they may be in rotation with a bunch of other trailers so they might not play with every showing

Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #855
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Machete is in this? Boy, Robert Rodriguez is everywhere these days.

Trying to figure out who/what "Russian Spider" refers to. Somebody get dinged by spellcheck when trying to type "Russian Spy" or something? Or maybe (cue conspiracy theory music) it's actually supposed to be "Russian Spider-MAN...."

(insert Yakov Smirnoff joke here)
Maybe this guy?

http://marvel.wikia.com/Alexi_Shostakov_%28Earth-616%29

He use to be him(not sure)?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/83f2ffc92...dteyo1_500.gif
Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #856
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Yes they do. Spider-Man 3 had one in front of Superman Returns. Green Lantern had one in front of Thor. Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises had one in front of Avengers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Sure they do. Studios can attach trailers for their own film to prints of another one of their films, so that theaters will know they want that specific trailer to premiere with that specific movie. But they can send their trailers to theaters whenever. If Fox/Sony send trailers for X-Men/Spidey out the week Thor debuts, the theaters will play em. Although they may be in rotation with a bunch of other trailers so they might not play with every showing
Okay, we had this debate a couple months ago and I swear to God everyone was telling me up and down studios don't premiere new trailers in front of rival studio movies. But whatever.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #857
Mr. Dent
Banned User

My only problem with this is that Marvel is only making "spy" shows. Could we get a, you know, superhero show at some point please? Preferably Daredevil. I don't see why they're greenlighting everything but an actual superhero show. And they're not going to make a movie out of Daredevil so there wouldn't be a conflict there.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #858
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

As much as I'd like to see a show based around Agent Carter, I'm just not sure a period-piece network TV show is going to work long-term. Still think the Marvel One-Shots are the best bets for continuing Agent Carter adventures.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #859
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunBoy View Post

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #860
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

This may not be the place to ask this, but I will anyway: In comics what is known about Cap's family? Father, mother, siblings ect.?

I know about Zemo trashing the last picture Cap had of his mother and I think Cap talks about having a brother in one of the EARTH-X tie in one shots but that's all that comes to mind. Anyone else in the know have more info?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #861
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
This may not be the place to ask this, but I will anyway: In comics what is known about Cap's family? Father, mother, siblings ect.?

I know about Zemo trashing the last picture Cap had of his mother and I think Cap talks about having a brother in one of the EARTH-X tie in one shots but that's all that comes to mind. Anyone else in the know have more info?
Earth X isn't canon, so his brother there doesn't exist at all in 616.

616 Steve's parents were poor Irish immigrants. Steve's father was an alcoholic, and recently revealed to have been a violent drunk, though earlier stories has Steve remembering his father fondly, hinting he wasn't that kind of drunk. One story mentioned that he was a WWI veteran. He died when Steve was young.

Steve's mother was more of a strong influence on a young Steve. She died of illness (TB?) when Steve was in his teens, a few years before the war.

We also recently met Steve's grandfather on his mother's side, a kindly man named Ian.

There are other family members that have since been retconned out.

I've already mentioned that Steve is the son of Irish immigrants, but there used to be a story that posited that the Rogers family has been in America for a long time, and that one of Steve's ancestors -after whom Steve is named- was an American army captain in the revolutionary war.

Another story had retconned Steve's established background from a poor kid in Manhattan to him being a middle-class kid from Baltimore, or somewhere in Maryland. And that story introduced a whole new family, including an older brother who died in Pearl Harbor. It has since been retconned to being a fake memory, as well.

Last edited by BullMcGiveny; 09-19-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #862
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I'm just not sure a period-piece network TV show is going to work long-term. .
Mad Men?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #863
TheFBI
Side-Kick

Id rather have a Agent Carter 6 episode mini series that ties in with Agents of SHIELD and shows how SHIELD started. Then, if that does well, they can look at a series. I think a Marvel Knights TV show would still be a better idea though

Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #864
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Would totally watch this over a Agents of Shield show. Make it happen Marvel!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #865
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
My only problem with this is that Marvel is only making "spy" shows. Could we get a, you know, superhero show at some point please? Preferably Daredevil. I don't see why they're greenlighting everything but an actual superhero show. And they're not going to make a movie out of Daredevil so there wouldn't be a conflict there.
Definitely sounds like the Peggy Carter show could wind up being "Agents of SHIELD: The Early Years."

As long as they introduce superheroes and supervillains in these shows, even as one-and-done guest stars, I'm okay with the focus being on "regular" SHIELD agents. But yeah, I think it'd be a poor idea to just turn either or both of these into generic spy shows. The whole point of the MCU and introducing these TV shows into the larger cinematic universe is to explore the superhero genre, so I'd hate to see this turn into SHIELD fighting run-of-the-mill terrorists, drug cartels, Cold War spies, gangsters and neo-Nazis. That'd be Fail City.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #866
Frico
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 09-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #867
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Definitely sounds like the Peggy Carter show could wind up being "Agents of SHIELD: The Early Years."

As long as they introduce superheroes and supervillains in these shows, even as one-and-done guest stars, I'm okay with the focus being on "regular" SHIELD agents. But yeah, I think it'd be a poor idea to just turn either or both of these into generic spy shows. The whole point of the MCU and introducing these TV shows into the larger cinematic universe is to explore the superhero genre, so I'd hate to see this turn into SHIELD fighting run-of-the-mill terrorists, drug cartels, Cold War spies, gangsters and neo-Nazis. That'd be Fail City.
First of all, budget issues would automatically limit the number of superpowered beings that could appear on a TV show. Showing powers is expensive, and TV shows only have a certain amount of money to spend. Second, Peggy Carter is a spy, so having her do spy stuff makes the most sense. Third, its set during the Cold War, so you have all the cool double crosses, paranoia, and all that good stuff. It would make for an interesting show. Fourth, she was active at a time when there weren't really any superheroes, IM was the first major one since Cap got frozen.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #868
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
First of all, budget issues would automatically limit the number of superpowered beings that could appear on a TV show. Showing powers is expensive, and TV shows only have a certain amount of money to spend. Second, Peggy Carter is a spy, so having her do spy stuff makes the most sense. Third, its set during the Cold War, so you have all the cool double crosses, paranoia, and all that good stuff. It would make for an interesting show. Fourth, she was active at a time when there weren't really any superheroes, IM was the first major one since Cap got frozen.
"A time when there weren't really any superheroes"....that we *know* of. I think a period piece like this would be a great way to retcon some of that into saying that there *was* a "Golden Age" of comic-book heroes and villains, but that most of it went under the radar and was classified by SHIELD, KGB and whomever else. In other words, no iconic figures like a Captain America emerged, but there *could* have been "unregistered gifted" running around out there, or just masked vigilantes and other Golden Age/Silver Age types.

As far as the budget goes --- yeah, you'd maybe severely limit the number of times a truly SUPERpowered individual showed up, but I could come up with a whole list of little-known Golden Age/Silver Age heroes and villains who weren't uber and who would make good foils for Peggy Carter and *Her* Howling Commandos.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #869
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
"A time when there weren't really any superheroes"....that we *know* of. I think a period piece like this would be a great way to retcon some of that into saying that there *was* a "Golden Age" of comic-book heroes and villains, but that most of it went under the radar and was classified by SHIELD, KGB and whomever else. In other words, no iconic figures like a Captain America emerged, but there *could* have been "unregistered gifted" running around out there, or just masked vigilantes and other Golden Age/Silver Age types.

As far as the budget goes --- yeah, you'd maybe severely limit the number of times a truly SUPERpowered individual showed up, but I could come up with a whole list of little-known Golden Age/Silver Age heroes and villains who weren't uber and who would make good foils for Peggy Carter and *Her* Howling Commandos.
And don't forget the original Human Torch. We already saw him in CA:TFA.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #870
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:

I would be more excited about this if Hayley Atwell is involved.
if not ,it is going to be very hard to make it work.
Sounds like they have not asked her yet .
And dont forget a few of these series never panned out.
Like the DelToro Hulk Series.
And,the Jessica Jones project .
The Punisher TV series .
Right now, this is an interesting idea .
But, it is not a TV series until a pilot has been produced and picked up by a network.
I LOVED Hayley as Sharon,I hope she signs on.

Last edited by Mysteryman; 09-19-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #871
Loki882
Side-Kick

Hayley has expressed enthusiasm about playing Peggy again, and she's been on TV before. So I'd say the chances are pretty good that she'd be willing to come back.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #872
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

I don't know if you guys saw, but there was an article about Cap on Forbes.com yesterday:
Quote:
Disney Should Move 'Captain America 2' To July 4th Weekend
With Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur losing its director Bob Petersen, Hollywood Reporter is uh, reporting that Disney is playing what amounts to release date musical chairs with its upcoming tentpole slate. The Good Dinosaur will open not on May 30th, 2014 but rather November 25th, 2015. Finding Dory is now opening not on November 25th, 2015 but on June 17th, 2016. And finally Disney is moving the Angelina Jolie live-action fantasy Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty told from the point-of-view of the villain) into the May 30th, 2014 slot. What this leaves in the summer 2014 schedule is a gaping hole in the now mostly vacant July 4th weekend. If only Disney had a major upcoming movie that might be appropriate for that most patriotic of holidays? Oh wait…

As some of you may know, Disney has slotted April 4th, 2014 as the release date for Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier. And while we may debate the wisdom of opening what would otherwise be a major tent pole item in early April, we can at least presume that Disney was trying something akin to Universal opening Fast & Furious in the beginning of April of 2009, which resulted in a $72 million opening weekend for the big fish in a small pond. But now that the Independence Day weekend is open (and kudos for Disney/Pixar for being willing to delay a Pixar movie 18 months to get it right), Disney has no more excuses. Captain America: The Winter Soldier really should be the big franchise picture for this coming July 4th weekend.

Paramount may-well have wanted to open the first Captain America film over that weekend in 2011, but that slot was already promised to Michael Bay for Transformers: Dark of the Moon and at the time Transformers was (and arguably still is) a bigger franchise than the Chris Evans-as-Steve Rogers adventures. But this year, Disney has a left a big hole in the summer 2014 schedule, one uniquely fit to be filled by another Disney picture that otherwise was slotted for Spring. Now there is indeed a risk in opening a major Marvel film just a month before the arguably riskier and more challenging Guardians of the Galaxy, but the marketing coup of actually debuting a Captain America film on what amounts to America’ s birthday can frankly not be scoffed at no matter what other obstacles it may present.

Of the current Marvel franchises, Captain America is arguably in the weakest position to break out, which is likely why Disney slotted the film for the lower-profile April date in the first place. Captain America may have been (in my opinion) the best of the pre-Avengers Marvel Studios films, but it was among the lower-grossing, with a solid-but-unspectacular $368m on a $140m budget. However excited I may be for a 1970′s-style conspiracy thriller that everyone claims The Winter Soldier most resembles (they even cast Robert Redford), the film doesn’t have the legions of Tumblr-fueled legions of heterosexual females and homosexual males that obsess over their prurient interest in Chris Hemsworth and/or Tom Hiddleston and it has an overall less rabid-fan base. And Steve Rogers’s appearance in The Avengers may have hurt as much as it helped.

Joss Whedon’s decision to cut most of Steve Rogers’s character moments out of The Avengers, with little to make up for it thematically, created a team-up film that arguably failed to give newbies a reason to care about Steve Rogers had they not already seen the first film. Avengers almost qualifies as a Thor sequel with its emphasis on Loki and Thor while offering a character arc for Tony Stark and showy moments for Bruce Banner BANR -1.91%. Intentional or not, Steve Rogers came off as the weakest of the main heroes (his big heroics in the second act action beat basically amounted to hanging on for dear life and turning a switch), which will not help the box office for The Winter Soldier among general audiences who started their Marvel adventures with The Avengers or confined their solo films to Iron Man prior to May 2012. But it’s a theoretical weakness that can be overcome with smart scheduling. Pixar’s behind-the-scenes “troubles” has given Disney a golden opportunity.

So yes, I say that Disney should go for it and reschedule Captain America: The Winter Soldier over July 4th weekend, on Wednesday July 2nd to be exact. It will be the best way to overcome the relative disadvantage of a comparatively less intense fanbase and comparatively less established character, as well as an easy way to produce countless bits of free advertising in the run-up to its patriotic release date. it will also provide a last-minute shot-in-the-arm to the marketing campaign for Guardians of the Galaxy, although Disney can always just move that one to the April 4th slot as a pure switch. Being the consensus choice over a holiday weekend is a huge advantage, and what more appropriate movie for a large gathering after the BBQ than Captain America 2?

Paramount was unable to slot Captain America: The First Avenger over July 4th back in summer 2011. Disney has a chance to get it right the second time around, if they are willing to take the leap of faith. So what say you? Is Disney moving Captain America to July 4th weekend the right call, or should Disney just let some other studio (like Paramount and their Transformers: Age of Extinction now slotted for June 27th) have that prime Independence Day weekend real-estate?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...rtner=yahootix

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 09-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #873
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

His whole rationale behind moving it is really suspect and calls into question whether he really knows a thing about the movie industry and viewer patterns. Moving CA: TWS to the week after TF4 would just about be suicide on Marvel's part and would put it too close to the GotG release to see any benefit for both films.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #874
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Hayley has expressed enthusiasm about playing Peggy again, and she's been on TV before. So I'd say the chances are pretty good that she'd be willing to come back.
I don't know.

She's been on British tv, where seasons last as little as three episodes, or seven on average, and correspondingly take less to film than your average American show. Being the lead on an American tv show is quite a commitment that might be more than she's willing to take on.

I love Peggy and hope this show does happen, though.

However, I have a hard time seeing Marvel making both of their first shows basically about SHIELD agents, albeit set in different eras.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #875
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

The website has a bit of music that is ostensibly from the soundtrack.

Closed Thread