The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 08-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #76
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 2

Ah, I like Norah (like the only character that came out of BND I did like) and the attitude. And yeah, Spidey's dialogue is melodramatic, but, hey, it's Ock. But, I think Ramos did a great job. I like the detail, particularly the shot of the entire Daily Bugle news staff. And I think he's curbing the anatomy breaking stuff.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #77
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I like Norah too and I understand her personality, it just seemed too much concerning the context of the scene. *shrug* I guess it wasn't a bad issue. Like I said I just think dialogue isn't Slott's strongest suit. I guess I really noticed the difference when Yost was scripting the recent raft arc.

Ramos has improved, but I probably will never completely warm to him. His Spidey is good, but his faces.... oye. Him and Steve Skroce from the 90's have to be my least favorite Spidey artists of all time.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #78
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I was at Half Priced Books the other day and found one of those "The Best of Spider-Man" oversized hardcovers that collected Straczynski's run plus extras. I looked through it and got to the Green Goblin arc from Jenkins and Ramos. Wow, I forgot how ugly his work used to be. The story was terrific, but that art... *shudder*

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #79
JJJ's Ulcer

He really ruined Jenkins' best written Spider-Man arc. If Buckingham or another competent artist had been given that arc, it would have been a classic we'd talk about today. Instead all we remember is just how terrible and incomprehensible the art was. Shame.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #80
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Ramos ruined Venom

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #81
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I think Norah's beer comment was more of a reflection (or relief) that "concerns" she had in regards to Phil had been revealed rather than she shockingly finds out that her boyfriend is a murderous villain.

Solid issue.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #82
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
He really ruined Jenkins' best written Spider-Man arc. If Buckingham or another competent artist had been given that arc, it would have been a classic we'd talk about today. Instead all we remember is just how terrible and incomprehensible the art was. Shame.
Sorry, strongly disagree. I think Ramos' art style ADDED to Jenkins' story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Ramos ruined Venom
Venom was ruined looong before Ramos.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #83
THUNDERSTRIKE
HYPNOTIC PSYCHOTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
Sorry, strongly disagree. I think Ramos' art style ADDED to Jenkins' story.

I'm not nor have I ever been a Ramos fan, but I always thought that I was the only one now who thinks that Ramos' work back THEN was a whole lot better than it is NOW...

and what's even funnier is that I didn't even like it back THEN...

I just think his work on his first run, despite the flaws, was more palatable than his current run of glaring and obvious flaws in his work...

to ME anyway...

DON'T KID YOURSELF... NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY, YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO.

QUANDO PODECES TE REGI EORUM FECERUNT?

THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #84
Spider‑Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I don't buy it myself. While I think that scene was ok in setting up the basic premise on why they might lay off him for a bit and give him the benefit of the doubt. I think the characterisation was off. To me it's like they were acting as though they had only just met the guy the other week.

We've had years worth of stories with Spider-man not only as an Avenger but with many other hero team ups as well. The 'ah ok then' and 'not much I can do about it' attitude of the other heroes comes off as a bit hokey considering the amount of time they're meant to have known one another for. I'm not saying Spider-man is the best of friends with them, but they've been around one another too long for me to buy that scene.
That's because writers today aren't concerned with what has been established, continuity, etc. ALL they care about is the story they want to tell. Anyone read superior foes with the 'cowardly' shocker? Where the hell'd that characterization come from?

Spider‑Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #85
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‑Man View Post
That's because writers today aren't concerned with what has been established, continuity, etc. ALL they care about is the story they want to tell. Anyone read superior foes with the 'cowardly' shocker? Where the hell'd that characterization come from?
Maybe it came from years of getting the **** kicked out of him by Spider-Man and constantly being a second-rate villain?

People always complain about new "out of nowhere" characterizations when they just don't understand character progression. You can't write characters the exact same way for 50 years.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #86
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:

Aloha,
I asked that same question when the book first came out. I can deal with progression of a character but I was looking for a specific issue where Shocker kind of gets PTSD.I'm still looking.
Spidey rules

Donald Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #87
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Didn't he even run with the Thunderbolts in a mind breaking time travel snafu that could have doomed the world as we know it?

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #88
Themanofbat

We've seen it happen with a few Spidey villains over the years... Doc Ock and the Scorpion come to mind...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #89
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Shocker was shaky back in the early 90s following the Scourge stuff but overcame it by the mid-90s/early-00s. Superior Foes of Spider-Man was a fun read, but the Shocker depiction turned me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Maybe it came from years of getting the **** kicked out of him by Spider-Man and constantly being a second-rate villain?

People always complain about new "out of nowhere" characterizations when they just don't understand character progression. You can't write characters the exact same way for 50 years.
The thing about character progression is that you have to SHOW the character progression. Jumping from point B to point D skips the very important point C. With Shocker, yes, he's been beat up up a lot and could likely become cowardly, but we aren't shown that progression. They skipped a step, and that's A) sloppy storytelling, and B) out of character.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #90
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

Wasn't it Norah who helped get the name The Daily Bugle back?
Wasn't Norah a Part-Owner or something of the New Bugle?
How did she get fired if she's part owner?
Or am I mistaken and it's not her and was someone else...

Also, not sure if this was talked about or if it was even mentioned in the comics yet, but are Norah and Billy related...?

KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #91
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMorrison View Post
Wasn't it Norah who helped get the name The Daily Bugle back?
Wasn't Norah a Part-Owner or something of the New Bugle?
How did she get fired if she's part owner?
Or am I mistaken and it's not her and was someone else...
That was Marla Jameson...

Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #92
Spider‑Man
Banned User

Quote:

'Progression' indicates smaller steps along a continuum from point A to point B, each step logically leading to the next that makes it understandable how one got from A to B where just going from A to B in one step makes no sense. This is essentially what they did with shocker. This apparently appeals to and is perfectly acceptable to the new generation of short-attention-span readers but it is absolutely NOT progression.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #93
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
That was Marla Jameson...

So who was the reporter that was, along with Ben Urich being secretly funded by JJJ?

KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #94
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
'Progression' indicates smaller steps along a continuum from point A to point B, each step logically leading to the next that makes it understandable how one got from A to B where just going from A to B in one step makes no sense. This is essentially what they did with shocker. This apparently appeals to and is perfectly acceptable to the new generation of short-attention-span readers but it is absolutely NOT progression.
I actually think it's more a case of short-attention span (or indifferent) writers than it is readers. Let's just pretend it was someone else in the Shocker costume and move on.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #95
Spider‑Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I actually think it's more a case of short-attention span (or indifferent) writers than it is readers. Let's just pretend it was someone else in the Shocker costume and move on.
Well that's essentially what I said in my first post but I don't think the two are mutually exclusive - I think it takes the latter not to mind the former.

Oddly enough, my first thought after seeing the shocker's Mis-characterization was 'did someone replace Herman Schultz? When did that happen?!'

Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #96
Mr. Dent

Has Slott ever talked about how many issues he plans to go with Superior?

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #97
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Until it's been run so far into the ground that it's regarded as the new Clone Saga?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #98
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
I've no idea. It seems some can easily change the characterisation of some characters to suit their story I guess.

Quote:

People understand character progression. You're just making excuses for a sudden change of character.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #99
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Until it's been run so far into the ground that it's regarded as the new Clone Saga?
Nope... unlike the Clone Saga, which felt like no one knew what direction they wanted in the books with all the back'n forths, this story is reading very much like it has a beginning, middle and end. So even if this goes beyond 2 years, so far, it's reading very well... unlike all the frustrations and obvious indecisions brought forth by Marvel during the Clone Saga.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #100
Themanofbat

FYI... in the Shocker's early appearances, he had shown some insecurities that he managed to overcome later in his career... so mid-life crisis maybe? In recent events, he had been poisoned and survived a bombing by the Punisher & turned into a Spider during Spider-Island... I can see how that might get into someone's head...