The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #101
Fanged-Hunter
SwiftNinjaFox

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Has Slott ever talked about how many issues he plans to go with Superior?
What's the current issue? 17, I think?

I'm guessing 30-35 issues of Superior Spider-Man. I still expect Peter to return with Amazing Spider-Man around April 2014. Call it a hunch.

Fanged-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #102
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
FYI... in the Shocker's early appearances, he had shown some insecurities that he managed to overcome later in his career... so mid-life crisis maybe? In recent events, he had been poisoned and survived a bombing by the Punisher & turned into a Spider during Spider-Island... I can see how that might get into someone's head...

Post traumatic stress, maybe. Then again, he has likely experienced PTSD previously in his life, meaning that he is guarded against experiencing it again with any great severity. He may be suffering from some underlying insecurity that has been unexplored.

*smokes a pipe, ponders*

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #103
Spiderhog
Side-Kick

I would say either 50 or 70 or 100.

Spiderhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #104
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
FYI... in the Shocker's early appearances, he had shown some insecurities that he managed to overcome later in his career... so mid-life crisis maybe? In recent events, he had been poisoned and survived a bombing by the Punisher & turned into a Spider during Spider-Island... I can see how that might get into someone's head...

It might, but the progression just hasn't been shown or even alluded to and I'm not convinced that any of that is actually a factor in Shocker's current portrayal.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #105
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

hey, I just realized. StllANerd hasn't been around for awhile. He also has some great ideas about how this might play out. Hope that he's ok.

KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #106
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Nope... unlike the Clone Saga, which felt like no one knew what direction they wanted in the books with all the back'n forths, this story is reading very much like it has a beginning, middle and end. So even if this goes beyond 2 years, so far, it's reading very well... unlike all the frustrations and obvious indecisions brought forth by Marvel during the Clone Saga.

Keep in mind, the clone saga was going through 5 titles (Spider-Man, Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, and Unlimited). I'm not sure where the Superior Spider-Man storyline is with Superior Spider-Man Team-up, but as far as the main title theoretically ending around issue 30, that'd only be just prior to Smoke and Mirrors story line of the Clone Saga. It was still good by then. Back then it was supposed to go only a tad longer until Amazing Spider-Man 400, but because of its popularity editorial kept dragging it out longer and longer and longer and kept changing the plot and twists.

Superior might be doing great right now, but with the sales its getting and with how much of a money-whore Marvel is, I could EASILY see editorial forcing Slott to keep it going and going and going until it's the next Clone Saga.

That's what I was saying. Not that Superior is currently bad, but that it's very successful and Marvel will run that into the ground. I mean, they're already taking a successful direction and rebranding mutliple titles after it... even if they have next to no connections (Superior Carnage, Superior Team-Up, Superior Foes of Spider-Man). If those don't work, and especially if the DO work, then Marvel isn't going to let Dan just end this direction. The question is whether Dan can take what can ONLY be a limited direction and keep it going and still feel fresh. Being that people on here are already starting to complain that it's starting to feel a little dragged out, I doubt it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #107
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Despite what issues I have with Sp-Ock I think it would take a lot to turn Superior into the Clone Saga Redux. Hopefully Slott will at least have an idea on when to bow out and Marvel will have something else to follow it up and not merely milk it.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #108
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I hope you're right, but I just don't put that much faith in Marvel.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #109
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

The beauty part about letting Superior run it's natural course is the simple fact that there is a HUGE cash cow for Marvel at the end... the Return of Peter Parker.

So I don't think editorial will mess with Slott's story... imo.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #110
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
The beauty part about letting Superior run it's natural course is the simple fact that there is a HUGE cash cow for Marvel at the end... the Return of Peter Parker.

So I don't think editorial will mess with Slott's story... imo.

Aloha,
I would agree. Like I said before, Sony is going to put millions of dollars into marketing the next movie with a character called Peter Parker.No way Marvel is going to miss out on all of that free publicity.
Spidey rules

Donald Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #111
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Thomas View Post
Aloha,
I would agree. Like I said before, Sony is going to put millions of dollars into marketing the next movie with a character called Peter Parker.No way Marvel is going to miss out on all of that free publicity.
Spidey rules
But the thing is.... They ALWAYS do...
Sure the Movies might bring in a few new readers for the short term, but let's face it, it's keeping those new readers that is the major obstacle they face, and not just Marvel, but Distinguished Competition as well.

There needs to be some sort/form of advertisement/marketing ploy to keep people reading...

Maybe Marvel/DC can offer an incentive when, like Disney Movie Rewards, You go see the film in the Cinema, you get Points, maybe a system where if you see that movie you get a few month discount on the books...

KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #112
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMorrison View Post
hey, I just realized. StllANerd hasn't been around for awhile. He also has some great ideas about how this might play out. Hope that he's ok.
Maybe Slott got him banned cause he kept giving away his story ideas and causing Slott to rewrite them.

On a similar note, I love how Marvel is using my Spidercide/Ben story idea I mentioned a while back...(Yeah sorry, I had to pat myself on the back with that one)

If the Marvel execs are reading this, I'm going to school for a BA in Graphic Design with a minor in Illustration, I also love to write. Feel free to contact me if you ever want any future help with your storylines.

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #113
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

And I guess I was wrong about Spidercide/Ben. I still think my idea was better than what they are doing...

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #114
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Huh. So Slott talked about Darkest Hour, Venom's cancellation and stated there will be no Venom ongoing after that. Well crap, there goes my hope for a Marvel Now2 relaunch. I just hope Spock doesn't job and kill Flash...

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #115
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

I have to ask this out of curiosity is there any one here who honestly prefers Ock as Spidey to Peter? Yes I hate this current run of comics but I honestly am curious to see what people see in it that I don't.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #116
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfan98 View Post
I have to ask this out of curiosity is there any one here who honestly prefers Ock as Spidey to Peter? Yes I hate this current run of comics but I honestly am curious to see what people see in it that I don't.
This is pretty much being discussed a few threads down:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=464219

Do I prefer Ock as Spidey? No but that doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying the hell out of this "era". It's flat out, great storytelling with elements of big action, drama and mystery.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #117
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
Huh. So Slott talked about Darkest Hour, Venom's cancellation and stated there will be no Venom ongoing after that. Well crap, there goes my hope for a Marvel Now2 relaunch. I just hope Spock doesn't job and kill Flash...
Flash is a Spidey mainstay. He won't be killed. And even if he was, he'd "get better" before too long. It's a shame Venom is ending, but to be honest I thought it never hit the heights of its first couple arcs.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #118
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Flash is a Spidey mainstay. He won't be killed. And even if he was, he'd "get better" before too long. It's a shame Venom is ending, but to be honest I thought it never hit the heights of its first couple arcs.
Yeah, I hope you're right. I've just learned not to hold my breath these days with general shock-value moments in all of media with unexpected turns and all hah. It is a shame Venom is going out. Even though there were some shifts in quality, I still had a mighty fun ride through all of it. The move to Phili was really starting to take off for Flash, and he's grown a lot. I just wish we were getting a relaunch instead of limbo. Well, not limbo, but Thunderbolts is all I'll have to get Flash and I'm still so-so on the book, even with the new team.

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #119
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Good god this book is truly Superior.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #120
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Spidey 2099 was too much to pass up. I'm caving for this arc. SpOck is the weak spot of the story and overly annoying, but the Spidey 2099 stuff was good. I don't see how this could be from the main 2099 universe unless Spidey 2099 goes back in the end, and I have a feeling he won't. In the main 2099, everything but the Savage Land was underwater by the end, so this has to take place prior to that event happening. But then, as soon as Marvel people said that this was the REAL Spidey 2099, I rolled my eyes. I could be proven wrong by him going back at the end of this story but doubt it.

Nonetheless, I thought Dan did a good job with him. Though I'm pretty sure he added to the 2099 "shock" vocabulary. It was a little distracting, but not bad. I remember when I was reading Slott's Big Time run, the first time I saw Tiberius Stone I thought "that's a wink at Tyler Stone from Spider-Man 2099". Glad to see I was correct.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #121
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

People were saying shock a lot in the 2099 series, I remember in the Spiderman meets spiderman 2099 story, Peter was annoyed by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
It's Zryson. Everything he says is so funny.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #122
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Oh, I know Shock was in the vocabulary. But Dan added quite a few other words in there to go with it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #123
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

sorry, I misunderstood you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
It's Zryson. Everything he says is so funny.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #124
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Oh, I know Shock was in the vocabulary. But Dan added quite a few other words in there to go with it.
He might have added a few, I'm not sure. I dug it, though. He asked fans on Twitter a few months back for all of the 2099 slang terms.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

TIMESPACE.
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #125
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Usually I like Spidey2099 stories, but latest issue just bored me. Wasn't bad, just didn't interest me. Maybe it's lacking Peter David's voice.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote