The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 09-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #176
tw9876z
Side-Kick

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 2

Well, covers for 23 & 24 are up. Looks like spock gets the venom suit.

"Well did you hear, theres a natural order. Those most deserving will end up with the most. That the cream cannot help but rise up to the top. Well I say s*** floats" - jarvis cocker
tw9876z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #177
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Issue 18 leaked....so awesome. I can see what Slott meant by issue 19 having big repercussions for Spidey and the Marvel Universe as a whole, with the way it looks like this is going. And when Slott was talking about "events' happening in 2014 and 2015 originating from Superior Spidey 19, I don't think he was just talking about Spider-Man comics.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #178
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Issue 18 leaked....so awesome. I can see what Slott meant by issue 19 having big repercussions for Spidey and the Marvel Universe as a whole, with the way it looks like this is going. And when Slott was talking about "events' happening in 2014 and 2015 originating from Superior Spidey 19, I don't think he was just talking about Spider-Man comics.
Sometimes I wonder if Marvel is purposely "Leaking" these issues...

KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #179
Mr. Dent
Banned User

No, it's just one guy and he doesn't just do Marvel comics. Probably works at a comic shop or something.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #180
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Well I'm happy I've been reading classic issues and ignoring most of what is current.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #181
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

I think its weird that they are getting rid of Scarlet Spider and Venom...it's almost as if they are trying to cut all ties to Peter Parker completely...no more Flash...no more Cain...we barely see any of Peter's friends anymore...and they are bringing out more books focusing on SpOck...hmm...

"The Safe-Word Is Pumpkin"

The Spider With a Power Ring
HELL N' SPIDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #182
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I wouldn't read too much into it.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #183
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Sales were bad on both. It makes sense for them to be canceled. Same with Morbius.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #184
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Sales on both were hovering 20k... Morbius was a LOT worse than that...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #185
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Was the Morbius title any good?

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #186
Themanofbat

Unfortunately... no.

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #187
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Yes. Thus are the ways of comic books. Character progression until it's verging on not being the character created in the 60s... then regress them back to that point and start over.
Quote:
In modern day comics, good stories will always been hindered by events, crossovers, etc. Superior Spider-Man has been an exception (for those who enjoy it), but that's not exactly the norm.
I mainly lurk around these boards, as I don't read comics as often as I used to. Most if not all of it due to what JH talks about here and Colossal Spoons and TMOB earlier. I think I'd participate more if I could understand the seemingly overall mentality. I'm aware guys like themanofbat enjoy the stories, but for those that don't, why buy into it?

If you don't like the direction of characters, or titles, etc why not show it with your wallet? Comics are a consumer driven industry. Marvel pulls out these god awful events because they're so starved for readership. And all over comics related forums I see criticism and negativity for the way things are, with Spider-Man, or whichever character. I personally would be fine with them if they developed a status quo that meant something, instead of the regression into old roles. It's boring. It's uninspired writing when it's pulled off badly and gives improper voicing to a character's "typical" judgments and morals, just to revive them or mysteriously return to how another writer did it with them.

But despite the negativity, still guys who don't like the product continue to buy it. Why? Loyalty? Why waste your money if it goes to something you do not enjoy (I say "waste" there because it seems appropriate when people nag and even send death threats to Slott but go out and buy his book)? The characters are fictional. You're not doing them any favors if you personally feel their iconography or characterization is being dragged over coals.

Like I said, I'm aware there's plenty of people who enjoy polarizing stuff like Superior (I being one of them, it's the greatest plan Ock has hatched in years and a firm kick in the ass for Peter Parker who has been stagnant for nearly 20 years) and stuff like big crossover events (I am not one of them). So my confusion is not directed towards them. What baffles me is people who continue to give money (3.99 an issue but to each his own) to something they seem to know they are not going to like, or at least spend their time voicing mostly negative opinions on it. Is it really doing Iron Man favors if his comic sucks (in your eyes), but you continue to support it financially? Do you apply that reasoning to other aspects of your life?

I hate to get philosophical in the Spider-Man comics forum but I've just been noticing this trend since like Avengers Disassembled with it getting to extreme levels over all this Superior controversy. And I'm sure it's been going on well before that. Frustrated consumers who continue to line up for a producer that does not satisfy them. It doesn't make sense to me. Understanding your power as the buyer means Marvel or DC or whoever is inclined to listen to your grievances, as well as tastes that drive books getting sold. You already know what you do not like, so there's half the battle.

PS- JewishHobbit I wasn't calling you out in this post or anything. I just saw the discussion going into this and picked your posts because I don't know how to multiquote the rest. Love and peace my man.

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #188
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
PS- JewishHobbit I wasn't calling you out in this post or anything. I just saw the discussion going into this and picked your posts because I don't know how to multiquote the rest. Love and peace my man.
No problem. I know I've become fairly jaded through the years, particularly regarding Spider-Man, Marvel, and events. Call me out as often as you see fit. It's often justified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Galaxy View Post
If you don't like the direction of characters, or titles, etc why not show it with your wallet? Comics are a consumer driven industry. Marvel pulls out these god awful events because they're so starved for readership. And all over comics related forums I see criticism and negativity for the way things are, with Spider-Man, or whichever character.
First off, the "speak with your wallet" mentality doesn't work for me because my $4 means nothing. My not buying an issue will not change a thing or show anyone my feelings on the comic. In fact, no one at Marvel even notices. The only people who notice are me (missing the character) and my comic shop (who lost sales). If enough people do this, then sure, it'll be noticed, but that seldom happens. I've bought very little Spider-Man since OMD, yet it's consistently been the highest selling Marvel ongoing for over a year or more. Obviously speaking with my wallet is doing nothing.

Quote:
I personally would be fine with them if they developed a status quo that meant something, instead of the regression into old roles. It's boring. It's uninspired writing when it's pulled off badly and gives improper voicing to a character's "typical" judgments and morals, just to revive them or mysteriously return to how another writer did it with them.
This is the main reason why I have a hard time getting back in to Spider-Man. Prior to OMD there was progression with the character. We might not always like the progression, but at least we always felt like we were getting somewhere. After that story, I've realized that nothing will ever change in the life of Peter Parker and none of these current tales matter because they will always revert to 70s Parker at the latest and start over. I might get in to it for a while when I'm really missing the character who was my favorite for 15-20 years, but I quickly get bored when I'm reminded at how far off the character is from where he was pre-OMD. Sadly, I've come to the realization that this is the future of this title until it's reverted to an even younger Parker again in ten to twenty years.

Quote:
But despite the negativity, still guys who don't like the product continue to buy it. Why? Loyalty? Why waste your money if it goes to something you do not enjoy (I say "waste" there because it seems appropriate when people nag and even send death threats to Slott but go out and buy his book)? The characters are fictional. You're not doing them any favors if you personally feel their iconography or characterization is being dragged over coals.
As I stated above, I don't buy Superior Spider-Man. After missing the character, I decided to give his book a fair chance with the start of Big Time and was instantly burned by the marriage mocking in the very first issue. Despite that, I kept going and bought maybe 10 issues of it. I enjoyed those 10 issues, but it never felt like the Spider-Man I loved reading about prior to OMD. It could be Slott's writing, it could simply be that it ISN'T the Spider-Man I loved, but I could only take so much of it before I lost interest (the price and double-shipping didn't help). So I no longer collect, though I do skim every issue to keep up with the plots. I'm buying the current arc, but that's just for Spidey 2099.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm aware there's plenty of people who enjoy polarizing stuff like Superior (I being one of them, it's the greatest plan Ock has hatched in years and a firm kick in the ass for Peter Parker who has been stagnant for nearly 20 years) and stuff like big crossover events (I am not one of them). So my confusion is not directed towards them. What baffles me is people who continue to give money (3.99 an issue but to each his own) to something they seem to know they are not going to like, or at least spend their time voicing mostly negative opinions on it. Is it really doing Iron Man favors if his comic sucks (in your eyes), but you continue to support it financially? Do you apply that reasoning to other aspects of your life?
Comics go through ups and downs, and if it's a genre or title that you've been with for years or decades, you know that it'll eventually get better, so why not stick with it? Sadly, I can no longer apply that to Spider-Man as the very fiber of the character I enjoyed has changed (some say for better, but I disagree).

As for events, they're different with each one. You don't KNOW that you aren't going to like it until it happens and you've already paid for it. Sometimes an event starts slow or lulls in the middle so you stick with it for the payoff. And most times an event is only 4-10 issues, so by the time you realize that you just really aren't enjoying it, you're already halfway through the event or more so you might as well finish it out to see if it picks up or not.

While the first "event" that I dropped partway was OMD, which I refused to buy the final issue of; Age of Ultron was the first real drop for me. I picked up the first 5 issues and realized that I just really hated the direction of the book and the characterizations. I know I'll eventually pick up what I didn't buy when I find them for cheap, but I didn't want to give Marvel my sales on those. Guess what? Those issues still sold like mad and Marvel didn't notice.

Quote:
I hate to get philosophical in the Spider-Man comics forum but I've just been noticing this trend since like Avengers Disassembled with it getting to extreme levels over all this Superior controversy. And I'm sure it's been going on well before that. Frustrated consumers who continue to line up for a producer that does not satisfy them. It doesn't make sense to me. Understanding your power as the buyer means Marvel or DC or whoever is inclined to listen to your grievances, as well as tastes that drive books getting sold. You already know what you do not like, so there's half the battle.
You must also keep in mind that while we may not like the current direction of a title, we still love the characters. Especially if you've been reading them for decades like myself. You keep going for the character, not the stories themselves, and when you do drop the book due to the direction, you still miss the character. It's unfortunately a hard battle to win mentally.

And typically, speaking for myself here, there are very few titles that I loath. When I speak about potentially dropping books that I'm not enjoying as much as others, it's more about finances than actually thinking the book sucks. My main complaints aren't on the comics themselves (because I have to be honest... Marvel's doing fairly well right now story wise) but on Marvel's business practices.

Quote:
I mainly lurk around these boards, as I don't read comics as often as I used to. Most if not all of it due to what JH talks about here and Colossal Spoons and TMOB earlier. I think I'd participate more if I could understand the seemingly overall mentality. I'm aware guys like themanofbat enjoy the stories, but for those that don't, why buy into it?
Stop lurking. Join in more if for nothing else than the comrade.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #189
Themanofbat

Doc Ock/Peter Parker/mind control/Superior Spider-Man gets a mention on Big Bang Theory last night...

Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #190
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:

If you don't like the direction of characters, or titles, etc why not show it with your wallet? Comics are a consumer driven industry. Marvel pulls out these god awful events because they're so starved for readership. And all over comics related forums I see criticism and negativity for the way things are, with Spider-Man, or whichever character. I personally would be fine with them if they developed a status quo that meant something, instead of the regression into old roles. It's boring. It's uninspired writing when it's pulled off badly and gives improper voicing to a character's "typical" judgments and morals, just to revive them or mysteriously return to how another writer did it with them.

I totally agree that one should cast their vote with their wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy it! Simple, right?

In this case, not so much. Comics are a struggling (read: dying) medium. And I believe it's important to support the things you love (whether it's films, comics, music, etc...), otherwise, the quality goes down the drain as the bigwigs try every last ditch resort to pull in the $$$ (We see this happening with movies, music, etc...where everyone complains how awful they are all the time, yet want to pirate and download them for free). I can't blame the execs for greenlighting and relying on these awful crossovers and events, because in the past, they've been shown to bring in the big bucks- and for a struggling medium like print comics, that's really all they can afford to put their primary focus on... So on one hand, I'm upset that comics are of worse quality now more than ever, but on the other hand, (mainstream) comics are a great medium that has so much untapped potential...

Last edited by Vid Electricz; 09-27-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #191
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

I don't have a local comic shop.. Is there anyway I can support it online? Doesn't Marvel have a thing where I can have each issue sent in the mail?

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #192
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Doc Ock/Peter Parker/mind control/Superior Spider-Man gets a mention on Big Bang Theory last night...

Haha, did it? That's cool. I haven't had a chance to watch yet but I'll keep an eye out for that.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #193
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the plot of this (At least the original plot of Doc Ock stealing spider-mans body and becoming "superior") is a bit of a rip off of Kraven's Last Hunt. Is it, or is it not?

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #194
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:

Nice, did they say something positive about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead9707 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the plot of this (At least the original plot of Doc Ock stealing spider-mans body and becoming "superior") is a bit of a rip off of Kraven's Last Hunt. Is it, or is it not?
Not. Kraven didn't literally take over Peter's life and impersonate him to his friends and relatives.

- The Joker
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #195
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Nice, did they say something positive about it?
Kouthrappali was bent about it and Howard was trying to downplay the story, and telling him to enjoy it for what it was...

Or something like that...

lol... AND thanks to the video replay, the players were the other way around... Thanks.

Last edited by Themanofbat; 09-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #196
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Sounds like an exact representation of every message board across the internet, including ours.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #197
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Kouthrappali was bent about it and Howard was trying to downplay the story, and telling him to enjoy it for what it was...

Or something like that...
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- The Joker
Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #198
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
I totally agree that one should cast their vote with their wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy it! Simple, right?

In this case, not so much. Comics are a struggling (read: dying) medium. And I believe it's important to support the things you love (whether it's films, comics, music, etc...), otherwise, the quality goes down the drain as the bigwigs try every last ditch resort to pull in the $$$ (We see this happening with movies, music, etc...where everyone complains how awful they are all the time, yet want to pirate and download them for free). I can't blame the execs for greenlighting and relying on these awful crossovers and events, because in the past, they've been shown to bring in the big bucks- and for a struggling medium like print comics, that's really all they can afford to put their primary focus on... So on one hand, I'm upset that comics are of worse quality now more than ever, but on the other hand, (mainstream) comics are a great medium that has so much untapped potential...
Completely agreed. I think many if not all of my problems with mainstream comics, like others, is about business practice. The fact is there are great titles that get booted and make way for the not so well made. I just wish others could see that a response from readers is possible, but it requires everyone to be a part of it. It's just a shame to me to see people put their money in it with the mentality that it doesn't matter either way if they dropped it. It doesn't have to be like that.

The flipside to the struggling sales of the comics is that these characters are truly taking on life in other areas. Movies, television, games, etc. It allows new legions of fans to pop up, kids of all ages and women especially. If they get hooked from those other avenues, and fell into the right comics the characters come from, some very vital readership would follow.

But alas, I'm dreaming. Thanks for the honest response as well, 'Hobbit.

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #199
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

Quote:
Completely agreed. I think many if not all of my problems with mainstream comics, like others, is about business practice. The fact is there are great titles that get booted and make way for the not so well made. I just wish others could see that a response from readers is possible, but it requires everyone to be a part of it. It's just a shame to me to see people put their money in it with the mentality that it doesn't matter either way if they dropped it. It doesn't have to be like that.

The flipside to the struggling sales of the comics is that these characters are truly taking on life in other areas. Movies, television, games, etc. It allows new legions of fans to pop up, kids of all ages and women especially. If they get hooked from those other avenues, and fell into the right comics the characters come from, some very vital readership would follow.

But alas, I'm dreaming. Thanks for the honest response as well, 'Hobbit.
The problem with that though is that the Comics aren't promoted outside of a TINY disclaimer before or after the movie.
The Comics ALWAYS and ANNOYINGLY promote the movies and TV shows to no end, but there is NO reciprocation from the other Media back to the comics.

The general public doesn't know or care about the comics and that is not good.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #200
KaineMorrison
ben_reilly_s_s

To Dan Slott:
Issue # 18 of Superior Spider-Man shows "Distortion Bubbles" in 2099, BUT NOT around Miguel, is this because he is "Out of Sync" with the future and if his Ancestor dies, he will still be around?