The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #776
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 7

I have not even heard rumors for Ben Grimm yet. Would like to hear about him, but especially who would be Doom.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #777
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Ignorance and closed mind are not insults, he's talking about their knowledge of the subject they're discussing, it's not as if he was calling anybody retard or something like that, he's Basically saying others don't know what they're talking about, not making a true personal insult.

Move on from this discussion, case closed.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #778
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
I have not even heard rumors for Ben Grimm yet. Would like to hear about him, but especially who would be Doom.
The only mention of Thing has been Terry Crews expressing interest.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #779
Ant-manic
Banned User

vin diesel would have probably been a better Grimm than Groot.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #780
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

I disagree. Groot would be a better Ben Grimm than Diesel.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #781
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Sticks and Stones (or trees and rocks) may break his bones...

Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #782
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Samira Wiley was recently linked ot the role of Sue. That'd sidestep the adoption thing.

Look with this movie there's going to be two or at least one black members of the team. I say Deal With It.

If they changed Johnny to a 52 year old Married hispanic woman with two kids who works in a library and doesn't have superpowers then i'd be up in arms, but just his skin colour? No, that's not a sufficient enough change to get the reaction his or Sue's possible casting is getting.

Black Nick Fury and Kingpin and Heimdall were accepted (once the movies came out) because they were still characterised as the characters, thats why people didn't care about skin colour much because their character were correct to the comics. if Johnny's character is correct to the comics, why must he be white when they can be black?

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-26-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #783
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Samira Wiley was recently linked ot the role of Sue. That'd sidestep the adoption thing.

Look with this movie there's going to be two or at least one black members of the team. I say Deal With It.

If they changed Johnny to a 52 year old Married hispanic woman with two kids who works in a library and doesn't have superpowers then i'd be up in arms, but just his skin colour? No, that's not a sufficient enough change to get the reaction his or Sue's possible casting is getting.

Black Nick Fury and Kingpin and Heimdall were accepted because they were still characterised as the characters, thats why people didn't care about skin colour much because their character were correct to the comics. if Johnny's character is correct to the comics, why must he be white when they can be black?
Black Fury was accepted because that is how he is in the Ultimates - simple as that.

Why was War Machine black?

Why must Falcon be black?

no other reason than because that's how they are in the comics...

...but I guess that's not good enough in this case...

I get it

If Sue is black too, then we will have two female characters named Storm that are black in Fox super hero movies - that won't confuse anyone...

Old 10-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #784
TommyJones1945
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post

Black Nick Fury and Kingpin and Heimdall were accepted (once the movies came out) because they were still characterised as the characters, thats why people didn't care about skin colour much because their character were correct to the comics. if Johnny's character is correct to the comics, why must he be white when they can be black?
Oh pls, we're supposed to "DEAL WITH IT!" just cus you don't have a problem with it.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #785
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
If Sue is black too, then we will have two female characters named Storm that are black in Fox super hero movies - that won't confuse anyone...
It really won't.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #786
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
It really won't.
A black man named Samuel L. Jackson?.... WAS HE IN THE JACKSON 5?!?

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #787
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
It really won't.
sorry - I guess I should have put an "lol" or some such indication to clue all in that it was meant in jest...

Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #788
Crimz
Side-Kick

It is not wrong that people are upset about the race change of Johnny, they have every right to be upset. People want the characters that they grew up reading about to be represented visually as similar to the source as possible, as well as personality. Comic books have pictures if the characters so it is even more noticeable and will receive backlash when a character is changed. You just can't say to people that they should get over it when they have a right to be upset over pointless changes.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #789
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Yeah, I can't say I care much for any would be 'thought police' telling everyone what we should and shouldn't be feeling about any of this (seeing this on other places as well, with some being more extreme in immediately branding any dissension as 'offensive' or outright racism).

If anyone is happy with any changes, that's fine by me, good for them. They are not wrong to be happy about it, but that choice (key word, often forgotten) is up to them.

But I don't like anyone telling me I shouldn't be upset that characters I've been reading about and have been a fan of since I could read (before I could read thinking about it, I was trying to draw them before I could read properly) get an obvious and pointless change when adapted for their film. That choice is up to me.

If I can respect and accept others choosing to like changes I'd expect that courtesy to be returned for those who don't.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #790
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

But the thing is that it's viewed as backwards if you don't support it. Personally I don't care either way but we know that's how it's looked at it if you don't agree with it.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #791
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
It is not wrong that people are upset about the race change of Johnny, they have every right to be upset. People want the characters that they grew up reading about to be represented visually as similar to the source as possible, as well as personality. Comic books have pictures if the characters so it is even more noticeable and will receive backlash when a character is changed. You just can't say to people that they should get over it when they have a right to be upset over pointless changes.
These aren't just your characters anymore. We want these characters to be popular in the mainstream and gain acceptance but then strangle them with the same insular mentalities that turned the comics into little read pamphlets.

Johnny is still the blonde-bombshell in the comics on Wednesday.Nothing has changed.

James Bond is still the brunette Cold War fighter in the books on the shelf. Daniel Craig didn't destroy that.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #792
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:

They could always have her marry Reed before the film begins.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #793
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
These aren't just your characters anymore. We want these characters to be popular in the mainstream and gain acceptance but then strangle them with the same insular mentalities that turned the comics into little read pamphlets.

Johnny is still the blonde-bombshell in the comics on Wednesday.Nothing has changed.

James Bond is still the brunette Cold War fighter in the books on the shelf. Daniel Craig didn't destroy that.
...and some arbitrary uncalled for race change is suppose to magically make this happen ... right ...

Why not make Johnny Asian to cash in on the growing market in China?

How about Hispanic since they are the biggest "minority" in the US...wait, they did that the first time with Sue but it did not help...

Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #794
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
Yeah it really does seem pointless. I'm pretty sure they're not casting black actors just because they're perfect for the role. If that was the case, i'd be fine with it. But it really just looks like they're doing it for diversity, not because of talent, and i think that's pointless.

i'll deal with it, but I like it when my favorite comic book characters look the way they do in the comics. Is that racist?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #795
kasjan
Side-Kick

Sue - Samira Wiley
Johny - Michael B. Jordan
Ben - Terry Crews

So only Reed now.
Will Smith?

What next, Tom Cruise as Black Panther?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #796
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Black Panthers race is key to his character, Johnny's is not he could be bright green and it wouldn't change his character

Johnny will still be an over-confident likable jerk who flames on and flies, with a sister who can turn invisible, his skins colour means nothing to his character it's just default.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #797
kasjan
Side-Kick

No, he doesn't have to be black.

Black panterhs lives in South Asia too.
Tony Jaa for Black Panther!
This character can be from Asia.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #798
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Thats changing the characters history and nationality (King off an African nation) and role (ruling and defending that nation). Changing Johnnys skin doesn't change his role or his origin, he'll still be American, part of the F4 and have his flame powers. Just like how Changing Heimdallls skin didn't change his character.

It's a superficial change that effects notthing about his character

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-27-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #799
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

That is your opinion, to others the visuals of the comics are important as well, and a major change to those may be a problem for them. If there is a solid reason for changing, then cool...I haven't heard that reason yet, and this young actor may be a fine young actor and do a good job, if he does...great. I can name many others as well that can do a great job and they are close to the visual AND character Johnny. It is simply all in your opinion of the character and what is important. Some believe that the visual as well as character is important, you do not....simply a difference of opinion.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #800
Lord
All Mighty

Changing a character from white to Black is different from the oposite, there are not many iconic black heroes, and he's one of the most popular black characters.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Closed Thread