The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #101
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 7

Just to note, Fox apparently received several extensions on the Daredevil license. When it really did expire, Marvel was offering them a third one ( which Fox turned down ).

Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #102
Endeavor
Que bolį con el timbeque?

I doubt Fox will let this franchise out of their grasp. They'll wait last minute and fast track the movie with a shortened shooting schedule and a slashed budget, like they usually do.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #103
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Pretty sure this movie will be made by FOX.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #104
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

pretty damn sure it wont

Daredevil already had more development and "updates" by the director himself (and they still pulled the plug, bluffing the entire time) then this film has had anything... The Studio has been the only ones to discuss this film, the actual people working on the film, have said nothing.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #105
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
First off, Reed isn't a nerd.

Secondly, not only is their relationship extremely plausable, but it is relatable to anyone who went to college. The Ultimate version is much less plausible and relatable.

In Jr. High, the jocks hang out with the jocks, the nerds hang out with the nerds and the burn-outs hang out with the burn-outs.

In college that changes dramatically as very diverse students are all put together at a point in their life when they are mature enough to become friends with people from very different backgrounds.

When I went to Penn State, I had great grades and great SAT's and I put down, as my first preference, a centrally located dorm that my older brother told me I'd never get. But I did get it, and I found out that the other freshmen who got that dorm were football players and people with great grades and great SAT's. So my friends from college are generally people who were smart or football players.

And those friendships are the most enduring friendships I've ever had. I rarely talk to people I grew up with, but I still get together with my college friends every few years.
That's not relatable to anyone whose college didn't have such a dorm. Mine didn't. Most don't. On topic, Ultimate Reed Richards never went to college, or at least, not an age where he would have made friends with football players. That's what happens to super geniuses nowadays. That's why Ultimate is a better updating than writing in some nerd-jock fusion dorm.

And Reed is a nerd, and would have been considered one in school even moreso. How is that even up for debate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
Nice post ^ but this.

Dude I think I see your point. Excuse me if I got it all wrong now (not my native lang) but I“ll reply anyway. There is no reason to turn Galactus in to some bugs. If I understand this right, you mean that the spirit of a char will be intact even if it“s adapted to more modern elements. But that“s not true in a lot of cases imo. It can be a good idea. A lot of things look ridiculous on screen.

Vision for instance, might be tricky to pull off in a way where he doesn“t look strange. Therefore Vision could just be an A.I living in a computer. Like the new Jarvis if Ultron kills Jarvis. Just like Galactus being bugs rather than an huge human-ish dude.

I agree but some charachter“s original elements play a part of the char so big that it can“t be changed too much. I feel like Galactus is one of those.
Hmmm... It can be done in different ways... it can be done so you still have this huge imposing figure... but it can also be done so that you're looking at a cloud. It just depends.

The reason I would do Galactus differently is because what he does when he harvests planets is very abstract, and totally in line with comic book science, which is based largely on misunderstandings of science from the 50s. If Galactus harvests energy from the planet, it makes sense to... have him send out drones or 'bugs' or whatever to collect all the resources. Pulling out 'energy' from the planet's core makes no sense. All that's down there is a bunch of earth's mantle... he can get hot rocks anywhere.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #106
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That's not relatable to anyone whose college didn't have such a dorm. Mine didn't. Most don't. On topic, Ultimate Reed Richards never went to college, or at least, not an age where he would have made friends with football players. That's what happens to super geniuses nowadays. That's why Ultimate is a better updating than writing in some nerd-jock fusion dorm.

And Reed is a nerd, and would have been considered one in school even moreso. How is that even up for debate?

Hmmm... It can be done in different ways... it can be done so you still have this huge imposing figure... but it can also be done so that you're looking at a cloud. It just depends.

The reason I would do Galactus differently is because what he does when he harvests planets is very abstract, and totally in line with comic book science, which is based largely on misunderstandings of science from the 50s. If Galactus harvests energy from the planet, it makes sense to... have him send out drones or 'bugs' or whatever to collect all the resources. Pulling out 'energy' from the planet's core makes no sense. All that's down there is a bunch of earth's mantle... he can get hot rocks anywhere.
... MOST people DO go to a college where "cliques" dissipate. infact.. its more probable for a jock to befriend a nerd today than it was in the 60s...

[=]
Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #107
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
... MOST people DO go to a college where "cliques" dissipate. infact.. its more probable for a jock to befriend a nerd today than it was in the 60s...
I know rignt?
There are jocks that are intelligent believe it or not. And there are some "nerds" that are athletic. I seems juvenile to think that one has to be mutually exclusive to the other.

:o
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #108
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

The 60s and 70s Reed wasn't so nerdy. He was still a confident leader and athletic guy. I think John Byrne starting making him not so tough. Before that, he used to sometimes even look a bit like Superman. I used to picture Reed more like Stephen Boyd in Fantastic Voyage (or Ben Hur even) than the Professor in Gilligan's Island.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #109
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
The 60s and 70s Reed wasn't so nerdy. He was still a confident leader and athletic guy. I think John Byrne starting making him not so tough. Before that, he used to sometimes even look a bit like Superman. I used to picture Reed more like Stephen Boyd in Fantastic Voyage (or Ben Hur even) than the Professor in Gilligan's Island.
yeah he was more of a two-fisted pulp scientist type back in the day.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #110
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
I doubt Fox will let this franchise out of their grasp. They'll wait last minute and fast track the movie with a shortened shooting schedule and a slashed budget, like they usually do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Pretty sure this movie will be made by FOX.
Agreed, especially if they think Disney has a chance to make Fantastic Four great or as successful as Disney's other superhero movies or if FOX thinks Marvel Studios will be benefit a lot from getting the rights for Silver Surfer/Galactus.

FOX giving up the rights for FF/Galactus/Silver Surfer to Disney/Marvel Studios is like giving their competition more money.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #111
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Agreed, especially if they think Disney has a chance to make Fantastic Four great or a successful as Disney's other superhero movies or if FOX thinks Marvel Studios will be benefit a lot from getting the rights for Silver Surfer/Galactus.

Giving up the rights for FF/Galactus/Silver Surfer is like giving your competition more money.
not if you don't plan on using them, and I guarantee you they wont be any time soon

[=]
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #112
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Reed is a war hero and BAMF.

To think otherwise just shows that your opinion of him is influenced too much by bad films and bad recent comics.

That's what scares me so much. You and Fox seem very like-minded.

A geek is awkward in social situations. Reed isn't awkward in social situations because he doesn't give a s*** about social situations. He's smart, most people aren't and they can deal with that or get the **** out of his way. Reed is confident and confidence is the opposite of geekiness. Reed is Heisenberg - not Walter White.

I certainly hope the film-makers understand Reed better than Tim Story did. Reed's mischaracterization was probably the single biggest disappointment of the first films, and if the new team doesn't get that, we're likely to see the mistakes of the past repeated.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 08-20-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #113
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Th Biggrin Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 7

Quote:

To think otherwise just shows that your opinion of him is influenced too much by bad films and bad recent comics.

A geek is awkward in social situations. Reed isn't awkward in social situations because he doesn't give a s*** about social situations. He's smart, most people aren't and they can deal with that or get the **** out of his way. Reed is confident and confidence is the opposite of geekiness. Reed is Heisenberg - not Walter White.

I certainly hope the film-makers understand Reed better than Tim Story did. Reed's mischaracterization was probably the single biggest disappointment of the first films, and if the new team doesn't get that, we're likely to see the mistakes of the past repeated.
100%

Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #114
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:

You mean the war hero stuff is one version of Reed Richards like one verision of Doctor Strange was more Asian looking, like Batman use to shoot people, or Falcon use to be a pimp. He's right and your right so the version of Reed we might get could be a whole other kind of Reed.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)

Last edited by Paradox1; 08-20-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #115
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
You mean the war hero stuff is one version of Reed Richards like one verision of Doctor Strange was more Asian looking, like Batman use to shoot people, or Falcon use to be a pimp. He's right and your right so the version of Reed we'll get could a whole other kind of Reed.
It may be "one version" but its the original and correct version. I see little reason to incorporate new takes on any character when they undermine his foundation and turn him into something he was never was or meant to be.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #116
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

I think it's the longest running take of Reed. He was that way for several decades.

Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #117
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
It may be "one version" but its the original and correct version. I see little reason to incorporate new takes on any character when they undermine his foundation and turn him into something he was never was or meant to be.
I disagree with that fictional characters change all the time because every story teller puts their own spin on it.Nobody who has any ounce of credibility as a story teller wants to portray some carbon copy of a character in someone else telling.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #118
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
I know rignt?
There are jocks that are intelligent believe it or not. And there are some "nerds" that are athletic. I seems juvenile to think that one has to be mutually exclusive to the other.
I said nothing about mutual exclusivity of intelligence and athleticism, but rather of people who are characterized by those pursuits. Unless my college just sucked and all you guys went to colleges with student athletes working on theoretical physics, there's nothing juvenille about saying Reed Richards would not have become best-buddies-evar with Ben Grimm at a normal college, aside from my overall point that Reed Richards would not have been in college at college age. The time and focus taken by college sports or advanced college research is much greater now than in the 60s, providing fewer interactions and common interests. This does not make nerds unathletic or jocks unintelligent, but by and large, people who spend all their time investigating revolutionary science don't have cause or opportunity to hang out with star football players. We're not talking about 'an athletic guy' and 'a smart guy' we're talking about people whose lives would naturally have been dedicated to diverging pursuits, and only physical proximity would be likely to bring them together, which happens often with neighborhood kids but, unless there's a special dorm, doesn't happen at the university level. Cliques change in nature, and how they relate to each other, but they definitely don't dissipate. People always form groups with likeminded people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I can accept that, Reed didn't used to be such a nerd before I was born. Gotcha. Noted. I can see the appeal of that, but I also note that nowadays such broad-chested men of science are not... common. So a more 'realistic' adaptation of Reed Richards would not have him as this footballer who just happened to be an unparalleled theoretical physicist.

Quote:

Whoa, first: a nerd can be a war hero, and BAMF. Second: a nerd is not necessarily a geek or awkward socially or unconfident. Third: If the last 20-30 years of FF comics have been bad... why are you still a fan? Waiting and hoping them to return to the Vietnam Vet Two-fisted Reed of the 70s? Fifth: You can't even read what I'm saying and respond to it, why should I think that you know anything about my mind, much less anyone else's based on communication that isn't even directed at you.

Finally: Reed is a the ultimate scientist... that makes him a lot of things, but one of those things is not: "best adapted in the modern day as a hard smoking impteuous weapons mastering vietnam war vet"

Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #119
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat

I am beginning to seriously doubt this movie is even going to get made. One reason is, for Batman/Superman we have just heard Affleck is cast as Batman. Both of these movies come out in 2015 and yet we know nothing about Fantastic Four. I predict the same thing will happen to it as what happened to the Daredevil reboot.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #120
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whoa, first: a nerd can be a war hero, and BAMF. Second: a nerd is not necessarily a geek or awkward socially or unconfident. Third: If the last 20-30 years of FF comics have been bad... why are you still a fan? Waiting and hoping them to return to the Vietnam Vet Two-fisted Reed of the 70s? Fifth: You can't even read what I'm saying and respond to it, why should I think that you know anything about my mind, much less anyone else's based on communication that isn't even directed at you.

Finally: Reed is a the ultimate scientist... that makes him a lot of things, but one of those things is not: "best adapted in the modern day as a hard smoking impteuous weapons mastering vietnam war vet"
World War II vet

Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #121
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:

Whoa, first: a nerd can be a war hero, and BAMF. Second: a nerd is not necessarily a geek or awkward socially or unconfident.
I (and I believe most people) have a definition of 'nerd' and 'geek' that are synonymous and apparently different than yours.

Here's what I got from Google:

nerd /nərd, noun
informalnoun: nerd; plural noun: nerds; noun: nurd; plural noun: nurds 1. a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

If you have a unique definition of nerd, I think you'll have to define that more clearly to avoid confusion. We can't communicate effectively if you are using a different definition of nerd than the rest of us. Based on the above, accepted definition, I stand by my assertion that Reed absolutely is not a nerd.

Quote:

Third: If the last 20-30 years of FF comics have been bad... why are you still a fan? Waiting and hoping them to return to the Vietnam Vet Two-fisted Reed of the 70s?
You're putting words into my mouth. I'm no longer a regular reader, but I still have a fondness for the comics of my youth and modern interpretations that properly update those characters. Millar's "Ultimate FF" diverged dramatically from the basic elements that make the FF the FF - much more than other artist's and writer's interpretations.

I would make Reed a Vet of Afghanistan or Iran. That makes perfect sense and keeps the character faithful to what he has been for the past 50 years. But I never even said he had to be a Vet. I just said he can't be a nerd and used that as one, small element of his history and character that illustrates he's not the stereotypical nerd.

Quote:

Fifth: You can't even read what I'm saying and respond to it, why should I think that you know anything about my mind, much less anyone else's based on communication that isn't even directed at you.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Clearly miscommunication is a fact of the internet (as evidenced by your misinterpretation of things I have said). If/when I misinterpret something you've said, I'm more than happy to read your clarifications and I'll offer clarifications to my statements (as I'm doing here).

I would assume any of the 10's of thousands of words you've posted on here are intended for public consumption. If there are communications that you don't want me to read or interpret, why don't you send them in private messages rather than posting them publicly?

Quote:

Reed is not simply the ultimate scientist and that's the key point. Read is the ultimate team leader. For that, he needs to be strong and confident, and his war experience has always been a tool to illustrate that strength and confidence - not his impetuousness. I have no idea why you threw that in there. Soldiers certainly aren't known for being impetuous (at least not the ones who survive), Reed has never been impetuous and I've never suggested he should be.

And he doesn't need to be a Vet as long as he is a strong, confident, decisive leader. Reed's leadership capabilities are canon, other minor details on which you're fixating aren't . Millar and Tim Story didn't respect the canon of Reed's leadership abilities and that is one of many flaws of those works. (To be fair to Millar, he was doing a fairly drastic reinterpretation - which is fine as long as it's comfined to the comic pages. But when a drastically altered version of classic characters is considered a reasonable basis for a film representing those characters, I have a problem.)

For this film to adequately depict the FF, I believe one key element is that Reed needs to be a strong and confident leader.

That's why I had a problem when you described him as a nerd.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 08-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #122
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

1) Willie Lumpkin is obviously correct in each point he has made.

2) Ultimate FF comics were an atrocious parody of the real FF. Poorly thought out origin, with facile personalities which were true lightweights when compared to 616 originals.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #123
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Simon Kinberg has been brought on board as a producer and is in the process of re-writing part of the Script.

Bring on 2015

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #124
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Again, that is not a good sign for the film like you think it is. It's an indication they're having serious problems with the script. At this rate they're going to have to push back the release date, if they can at all, which would be damn near suicidal to put it in that summer.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #125
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I don't know much about the film business.

But with over a year and a half between now and release and the filming usually about 4 months max then there seems to be plenty of time to modify the script.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Closed Thread