The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #26
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: WiiU - Part 2

I think you guys are taking the Dreamcast analogy a bit too literately.

Still, I wouldn't abandon ship just yet. Mario can wipe the floor with Halo on a good day.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
thats what I said above

IDA with your final statement. The Wii U could very well end up being Nintendo's final home console. They wont be completely out of the hardware market bc they have the 3DS and the handheld space but if the Wii U doesnt improve, they may just call it quits and focus on what actually works for them.
I find this scenario very unlikely. Why would they quit after one failure? It's looking to be a big failure if things don't turn around, true, but still it makes little sense. The Wii was a massive success, and the GC was profitable even if it was a disappointment to the competition. I'm not sure where this notion that Nintendo is about to fall on their sword comes from...?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

I'd say by this time next year the Wii U will be fine.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The PS4 and Xbone are going to have a rough launch.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

The leap forward in technology isn't as great as it was in the past, so I don't see these new consoles taking off as rapidly as they used to. Nintendo has a little bit of time to correct their mistakes.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #31
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
The PS4 and Xbone are going to have a rough launch.
and what makes you say that? As it stands both are looking to have better launches than their predecessors, the PS4 in particular

Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #32
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Not to mention killer apps. Well, Mario, really. Zelda ain't what it used to be. Can't touch Pokémon.

Oh and I guess Smash Bros.

Still, they have some solid franchises.

The main issue is, since modern games take significantly longer to develop (especially good ones), these new consoles will go sometime before they get really great games out. Nintendo has a leg up on them, for now.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
and what makes you say that? As it stands both are looking to have better launches than their predecessors, the PS4 in particular
Considering the PS3's launch, that's not saying much (that was a train wreck of epic proportions).

Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #34
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Considering the PS3's launch, that's not saying much (that was a train wreck of epic proportions).
okay? That still doesnt answer the question though

Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #35
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Let's see, a 400 dollar console (or 500 for the Xbone), with no backwards compatibility, few launch titles (most of which are available for PS3, and the Xbox 360, which the people most likely to buy a PS4 already have).

Yeah, it's going to be rough. Just wait.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let's see, a 400 dollar console (or 500 for the Xbone), with no backwards compatibility, few launch titles (most of which are available for PS3, and the Xbox 360, which the people most likely to buy a PS4 already have).

Yeah, it's going to be rough. Just wait.
What constitutes a rough launch? What you dont think the console will sell?

Price - Most people praised it as being very affordable for a new console. $399 is definitely cheaper than what many people thought it would be

Backwards Compatibility - Dont really think its as big a deal as you might make it out to be. Sony said that early next year Gaikai will be used as an alternative to that anyway. Most people really dont care about it. They may complain, but its not something that prevents a console from selling.

Launch Lineup - while not super stellar, is pretty solid and has tons of quality titles to be found there. Definetly one of the best launch lineups of a new console.

Theres always a supply/demand to consider and back when the PS3 launched, the demand was there but they couldnt meet the supply bc they were including new tech (bluray and Cell) which slowed production. Its why they were forced to delay the EU launch. They dont even seem to have this problem this time around bc the tech in the system isnt brand new. Just going by the preorders, the PS4 is on the road to selling very well when its released. Preorders of launch systems sold out weeks ago but since then many retailers have opened those back up again and they wouldnt have done so unless Sony was able to guarantee them more supply. So not only do you have people that want the system, but its looking like they will have alot available to sell when it does come out.

The buzz surrounding the PS4 has been overhwelmingly positive. Sony seems to have learned from his mistakes from the past in how to handle a console launch and as it stands right now, the product is on track to be doing relatively well. I cant think of anything that stands out as it on its way to do awful this fall.

I think the Xbox One will have a rougher time but MS has been working to change up its image since E3 and they still have several months to turn things around. Its already worked for many and they seem to be doing pretty good with preorders as well now. Not as well as Sony but I dont forsee them being in any immediate danger this fall.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well rough doesn't mean awful. Actually, again, the development time for good games is the biggest issue, for any modern console (Wii U is no exception). That's what hurt the PS3 so much, not to mention the unprecedented price (but that was because of the blu-ray player, which ironically is why most people ended up buying it).

It takes years to develop good games now, so launch titles will always be limited. Almost all the PS4's launch titles (and games that will come out in the next year) are really just PS3 games, and will be available on the PS3. I have a PS3 (and a 360), so I won't be getting a PS4 for at least another year.

I guess it remains to be seen how many people can be persuaded to buy a console that won't really be next-gen for another year or two.

What Nintendo did with the Wii was smart. They supped up a Gamecube game (Twilight Princess), and made it a temporary exclusive for the Wii. Sony and Microsoft should have done that with Destiny.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #38
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well rough doesn't mean awful. Actually, again, the development time for good games is the biggest issue, for any modern console (Wii U is no exception). That's what hurt the PS3 so much, not to mention the unprecedented price (but that was because of the blu-ray player, which ironically is why most people ended up buying it).

It takes years to develop good games now, so launch titles will always be limited. Almost all the PS4's launch titles (and games that will come out in the next year) are really just PS3 games, and will be available on the PS3. I have a PS3 (and a 360), so I won't be getting a PS4 for at least another year.

I guess it remains to be seen how many people can be persuaded to buy a console that won't really be next-gen for another year or two.

What Nintendo did with the Wii was smart. They supped up a Gamecube game (Twilight Princess), and made it a temporary exclusive for the Wii. Sony and Microsoft should have done that with Destiny.
Oh thats not true. Killzone Shadow Falls? Knack? Infamous Second Son? Sony has said that all their first party studios have moved onto PS4 development and so far those games listed wont be on the PS3 and I dont the game announcements from Gamescom will be as well. You'll find some third party material appear across both platforms but outside of sports titles, Sony's first party material will haved moved onto the PS4 with its releases post PS4

As far as development time, well developers have had the PS4 dev kits for quite some time now and have been working on their games for years. Sucker Punch hasnt released a game since 2011. It will be 3 year between that and when Second Son comes out and its looking to be pretty solid. I think Gamescom will alleviate some of these concerns as we were told we would hear more game announcements then.

I cant speak for the gameplay yet but the visuals on Killzone are amazing and look much better than anything currently available on the home consoles. I dont see how that doesnt look "next gen"

Neither MS no Sony own Destiny, so they couldnt have done that and it would have been foolish to pay Activision to make it a timed exclusive to only one of their consoles

Last edited by Havok83; 08-03-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #39
zenith16
Side-Kick

Splinter Cell: Blacklist Wii U Missing Offline Co-Op

6 hours 50 minutes ago - The WIi U version of the game won't offer offline co-op, though online co-op is still included. Read More »

source: GI & IGN

Last edited by zenith16; 08-05-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I'm actually all for an animated Zelda movie, but what the hell happened to Ganondorf?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Was that suppose to be Ganondorf? I thought it was just some generic evil dude.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #42
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Yes, apparently.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #43
zenith16
Side-Kick

source: GI
A Quote from the same article
Quote:

by Jessie Scott Tuesday, August, 06, 2013 at 09:20
I hope they can generate excitement, but all I see are classic franchises mentioned so far. I hope Nintendo invests in some new IPs or goes a new route to encourage disillusioned Nintendo fans (like myself). The 3DS is great, but I still want to see the reasons that I should be buying a Wii U. C'mon Miyamoto! Show me!

Last edited by zenith16; 08-06-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #44
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Not to mention killer apps. Well, Mario, really. Zelda ain't what it used to be. Can't touch Pokémon.

Oh and I guess Smash Bros.

Still, they have some solid franchises.

The main issue is, since modern games take significantly longer to develop (especially good ones), these new consoles will go sometime before they get really great games out. Nintendo has a leg up on them, for now.
Kind of evened out by the fact that nearly all the console devs are working for PS4 & XB1 while Nintendo are having to do nearlly all the work themselves for wii U.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #45
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Wii U not on Bethesda's short-term radar

Quote:
Wii U owners hoping for a little Bethesda-brand steampunk/open world/pseudo-historical/massively multiplayer whatever may want to start grazing other pastures, as Nintendo's console is nowhere to be seen on the publisher's horizon.

"None of the game's we've announced are being developed for the Wii U, so it's guaranteed that none of those games are coming to Wii U," Bethesda VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines told us at QuakeCon, with regards to The Elder Scrolls Online, Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Evil Within. "Will any future ones come out? I can't say for sure, in our near-term focus it's not on our radar."

"It's largely a hardware thing," Hines said, explaining that Bethesda's mantra is to "make the games that we want to make, on whatever platforms will support them as developed." Giving an example, he said that The Elder Scrolls Online "likely would have" been released on Xbox 360, but that it "just wasn't possible" due to hardware limitations. Specifically referencing future announcements for the Wii U, Hines said that "it remains to be seen what the future holds."

This differs from the Wii U publishing reservations we've heard of from other companies, in that Bethesda's decision is based on hardware limitations, rather than the Wii U's lackluster performance at retail. EA, for instance, isn't bringing this year's installments of FIFA or Madden to Nintendo's platform due to the limited size of the console's installed user base. Similarly, Ubisoft was so confident that the Wii U would be unable to support the kind of sales it needed for Rayman Legends, that it delayed the game's release and extended its availability to other platforms.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
Havok83
Side-Kick

Bethesda is huge and Wii U not getting their games is a big deal. Poor Wii U. Considering the scope and how many technical difficulties they have to account for, they probably don't feel the system is worth the investment

Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #47
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

This is no surprise. They can't even make a functional game for the PS3.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #48
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

They messed up with Skyrim on the PS3, but eventually fixed the issues. Those issues won't be a problem on the next generation, and Bethesda not releasing games on the Wii U is definitely a hit, though not at all surprising.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #49
zenith16
Side-Kick

oh yeah that stuff with carmack was posted over the weekend when it came out
Quote:
as this post posted on this thread has said Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Diagrams(WU)
Nintendo needs a radical change of strategy and image. Get a new person on top and get back to the SNES days in terms of marketing and game diversity.

Things right now arent smooth, calling a new console the wiiu and not having games ready for it after the 3ds debacle is pretty bad imo. They need places like Retro pumping out games, not taking out like 3 years to come up with Donkey Kong country tropical freeze. They need lots of developers to have unique games and to be considered an acceptable ecosystem for 3rd party devs to port their games.

Lots of bad choices all based on the fact they do not want to acknowledge the reality of the industry they are part of. You can pretend to live in your own bubble only for so long.

Its time for a change.

Also I really can't stand people that are still mentally trapped in the 80's or want to go back to that time period it's one of the reason's I hate some certain marvel writers and Editors that want to head back there too and repeat events from back then with the characters wit some bad plots from back then or cause they can't stand certain character like spider and cyclops were married and actually wanted family's. and certain weird out place people as well that seem to want to head back to that time period. that period wasn't as cool as they claim or remember to be. business and overall chose wise with some of there story arc's where comic's were involved any way. ((with the Exception of tv shows like transformers ) it wasn't that cool of time period and life style wise ether it was messed up time period. Yeah they need to move on from that time period. or retire.

news for the Wii U
and

Monster Hunter Frontier G Roars Onto PS3 And Wii U With Its First Trailer. August 1, 2013 . 4:00pm

Monster Hunter Frontier G will cost 6,090 yen at retail, but if Wii U and PS3 owners download the game, they’ll be able to grab it for free.

form here
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...397107&page=40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
This is no surprise. They can't even make a functional game for the PS3.
yeah very true most of their titles are bug fests, still fun. but still not to mention how many times ps3 fans would become mad every time some one from Id talked about how tough it was to make a game on the ps3 next valve's head man too back in the day. I mentioned this already though. and they also mentioned vita with that too.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #50
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
Those issues won't be a problem on the next generation
I'm sure they'll discover new issues.

Closed Thread