The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #526
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Default Re: WiiU - Part 2

I really doubt there's a chance that Nintendo will ever release anything substantial for mobile until they either partner up with something or create their own device that's similar.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #527
zenith16
Side-Kick

this a fallow to yesterdays statement about their(Nintendo) Tvii's from game informer

Old 01-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #528
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I really doubt there's a chance that Nintendo will ever release anything substantial for mobile until they either partner up with something or create their own device that's similar.
Maybe they should be doing one of those 2 things. For me at least phone games never compete with console games for the reason that I'll never play phone games indoors. Do people do this? I mean I can understand playing tablet games indoors.

I'd guess Nintendo games on smartphones would be a lot better than most of what's currently out there. I have over 100 phone games downloaded and there's probably 10 or so titles Nintendo could release that would be an automatic buy for me. And I'd be buying all their sequels. Again I'd probably agree releasing on tablets could be constituted as competition for their own console but I doubt the same is true for smartphones.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #529
Havok83
Side-Kick

I think Nintendo releasing companion games on mobile devices could work. Not a big full retail experience you'd see on the 3DS, but smaller spinoff or mini game type stuff. They have enough franchises to make it work. Even licensing out their IPs to a developer to do a reskinned version of an existing game could be a way to get their foot in the door

Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #530
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

It's just not something I see as interested in doing. I could see them doing something in a similar vein to the PlayStation Now in the future (possibly), but I don't think we'll ever see them develop mobile games unless it's on their own terms. Maybe release classics, but even then, probably a stretch.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #531
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I think Nintendo releasing companion games on mobile devices could work. Not a big full retail experience you'd see on the 3DS, but smaller spinoff or mini game type stuff. They have enough franchises to make it work. Even licensing out their IPs to a developer to do a reskinned version of an existing game could be a way to get their foot in the door
That would probably just lead to a lot of subpar products similar to all the junk that companies like Square and Capcom have let happen. Say what you will about Nintendo, but they generally keep their own IPs to a certain level of quality. The only franchise they tend to pimp out to an extreme is Mario.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #532
zenith16
Side-Kick

This is a GI staffer admitting he was wrong about the Ds what it means for his dissing the Wii U as well

A Nintendo 3DS Mea Culpa

Feature
on Jan 20, 2014 at 03:47 PM

Also: Does the 3DS' success bode well for the Wii U?
... More

Source:GI

Last edited by zenith16; 01-20-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #533
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I think they'd be a big enough player (probably no.1) if they decided to put all their properties on mobile that they'd be able to dictate terms to anyone.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #534
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Except for the format and hardware, which is a obviously a big term for them as seen with their dispute with Sony way back in the pre-N64/PS1 days.

But honestly, it's kind of a moot argument anyway. It's like saying, 'Well, if Microsoft decided to go into the canoe business, they'd clean up.' You can look at from every which angle, but it's not something that's realistically going to happen, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #535
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Except for the format and hardware, which is a obviously a big term for them as seen with their dispute with Sony way back in the pre-N64/PS1 days.

But honestly, it's kind of a moot argument anyway. It's like saying, 'Well, if Microsoft decided to go into the canoe business, they'd clean up.' You can look at from every which angle, but it's not something that's realistically going to happen, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future.
I think Nintendo are better placed to clean up here than anyone and particularly more so than Microsoft in the canoe business lol. If it was any other company in Nintendo's position with all those properties it wouldn't be a moot point. It would have been fully discussed, analysed, P&L projected & concluded one way or other by now. There are some crap companies making crap games who are making a lot of money on phone games at the moment. A sensible business properly considers all opportunities.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #536
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Yeah, but it's not any other company, it's Nintendo. And I mean, it's so much that I disagree with you (though I think mobile as a gold mine is not quite as solid as most), but it's just sort of something that I don't see much value in discussing, because it's really not something I see any possibility of happening until Nintendo finds a way to do so in their own way on their own time.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #537
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I don't mean that as a slight to you, by the way, Iceman. Rereading what I wrote makes me think it comes off that way, but it's about subject, not the subjector.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #538
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not any other company, it's Nintendo. And I mean, it's so much that I disagree with you (though I think mobile as a gold mine is not quite as solid as most), but it's just sort of something that I don't see much value in discussing, because it's really not something I see any possibility of happening until Nintendo finds a way to do so in their own way on their own time.
You're probably right in the likelihood of it happening.

The value in discussing it is because the possibility itself can be fun to discuss for certain people (like me). This whole forum is based on far out speculation on far out film properties, not just things that have been formally announced or have a 90% probability of happening. And I'll continue to put out possibilities of improving Nintendo's situation going forward, especially in ways that will have a big benefit to me, in the hope that a Nintendo exec's kid out there one day reads it and complains to his/her daddy/mommy.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #539
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
I don't mean that as a slight to you, by the way, Iceman. Rereading what I wrote makes me think it comes off that way, but it's about subject, not the subjector.
It's cool

Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #540
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
That would probably just lead to a lot of subpar products similar to all the junk that companies like Square and Capcom have let happen. Say what you will about Nintendo, but they generally keep their own IPs to a certain level of quality. The only franchise they tend to pimp out to an extreme is Mario.
Maybe. I think something like Warioware which is literally a collection of 10 second games could work quite well on that platform

Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #541
zenith16
Side-Kick

Don't forget there's already a Layton brothers game on ios and mobile . which is a Spin off of the professor layton games of which with professor latyon at least Nintendo has the creator do for them quite often.

Reviews

Reviews

Layton Brothers Mystery Room (Mobile)

Shaun and Marissa team up with the Layton Brothers for the Mystery Room.

More on what Iwata had to say.

Iwata clarifies: Nintendo is not done with consoles

(8 hours ago)

Last week, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata mentioned that the company was rethinking its business strategy following poor sales of the Wii U console. Speculation that Nintendo would cease building consoles immediately followed, but Iwata assures fans and investors that this is not the case.

"The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It's not that simple," Iwata stated. "It doesn't mean that we should put Mario on smartphones." Instead, Iwata sees the new ubiquity of mobile devices as a platform that Nintendo could and should tap to promote its console releases. Here he cites GungHo Online Entertainment's Puzzle And Dragons as an example, pointing out that the 3DS incarnation of the game sold more than a million copies in its first month of existence, despite Puzzle And Dragons being available as a free-to-play offering on all manner of mobile devices.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Iwata remains convinced that good games can sell consoles, regardless of how technologically impressive they might be - though modern customers need more convincing than earlier generations. To that end, Nintendo is reportedly pouring money into research and development, and "Mr. Iwata promises to surprise game players in the future."

source EPD.TV/ROTR & Wall Street Journal

Last edited by zenith16; 01-21-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #542
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Don't forget there's already a Layton brothers game on ios and mobile . which is a Spin off of the professor layton games of which with professor latyon at least Nintendo has the creator do for them quite often.

Reviews

Reviews

Layton Brothers Mystery Room (Mobile)

Shaun and Marissa team up with the Layton Brothers for the Mystery Room.
Um, Layton isn't a Nintendo IP. It may be associated with their platform, but it's developed and published by Level-5 (with Nintendo helping the overseas publishing on some of the games). They make games for Sony as well and this gen, that will extend to MS, To the best of my knowledge. Nintendo doesn't actually develop any games for mobile platforms, nor do they publish or license out their IPs for others to do something with.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #543
zenith16
Side-Kick

Well I never really said they(Nintendo) own it. I said they have the creator that makes games for them of which there is a huge series of them on their 3ds and prior to it and they have them do that often . and most of the time that's what people remember as what's said in that review and their not the first nor will they be the last.

But yeah they are on other systems. My bad if I made it seem that way. wasn't trying to. Just saying what most know that has shown up on the system from most people saying it.

I didn't claim Nintendo has started doing that already them selves ether.

Last edited by zenith16; 01-21-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #544
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Maybe. I think something like Warioware which is literally a collection of 10 second games could work quite well on that platform
I don't think there's really a maybe about it. Have you actually played a lot of the stuff that Japanese publishers have released on mobile? I'm not saying there's no good anywhere there, but the reason the things are such big moneymakers is because they're cheap as hell to make, and boy, do they show. And the ones that aren't are generally burdened by microtransitions. To create something worthwhile, you have to put some real effort into it, and I think Nintendo would rather just do that with their own handheld device.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #545
zenith16
Side-Kick

The person that worked on MGS 4 Ryan Payton had something to say about that with his game republic or I should say Republique of which David Hayter is in that game. he managed to a void that with his latest game as he said yesterday in an exclusive interview

Last edited by zenith16; 01-21-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #546
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

I won't lie... I'd TOTALLY buy a Nintendo Phone with exclusive NOS games and whatnot.

For sure.

It could sync up with your WiiU/3DS/2DS and the Miiverse... That'd be pretty sweet. Mimic what the Playstation app does right now on my Galaxy SIII.

Revelation 22:20
Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #547
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

It'd be awesome. I bet the games would be amazing and the rest of the phone would fall to pieces.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #548
zenith16
Side-Kick

UK retailer price cuts: Wii U Premium for 180, Xbox One 410

(9 hours ago)

Amazon UK and Argos both dropped the Wii U Premium to 180 this week, and if that's a familiar-sounding figure it's because it matches the launch price of the Wii. Both retailers have the 32GB Wii U model, complete with Nintendo Land, priced 120 less than the 300 Nintendo itself is asking for, and what most retailers sold the Wii U Premium for at launch.

Nintendo UK has several Premium SKUs at 250, including the better value New Super Mario U bundle, and Amazon and Argos more or less price match those bundles. There's been no official word, but perhaps these cuts indicate that Nintendo UK wants to phase out the Nintendo Land bundle, just as Nintendo of America did last year.

In contrast, Zavvi taking 20 off the Xbox One is a fresher development for Microsoft's console. Europe's Day One editions of the Xbox One came with free copies of FIFA 14 or Forza 5, so it's arguable 410 better reflects Zavvi's game-less bundle. In any case, other retailers aren't following suit at this stage, so we're not sure what to make of it yet.

The Xbox One enjoyed a strong start at retail, racking up 3 million worldwide sales before the close of 2013. The Wii U reached 3 million shipped in a similar time frame, but that early success dried up in 2013, and Nintendo slashed the console's fiscal year forecasts recently from 9 million to 2.8 million - if that figure proves accurate, Nintendo will have shipped 6.2 million units by March 2014.

and

Mighty Bomb Jack leaps to Wii U Virtual Console this week

(52 minutes ago)

An unexpected blast from the past hits the Wii U Virtual Console on Thursday in the form of NES cult classic Mighty Bomb Jack.

Originally based on an arcade game of the same title, Mighty Bomb Jack is a relatively standard NES-era platformer. The game's protagonist uses the titular bombs as his main weapon, but most of the game focuses on precise jumping, seeking hidden treasure and that particular brand of video game weirdness you only see in Japanese games translated to English during the late 1980s.

Nintendo did not announce Mighty Bomb Jack's upcoming re-release, leaving it instead for fans to find on the Virtual Console. As a result, we can't say for certain what price will be attached to the game, though if it falls in line with most other Virtual Console NES releases Mighty Bomb Jack should feature a $5 price tag.

Source:Nintendo Life, Videogamer.comAmazon UK, Argos, Zavvi& Go Nintendo

Last edited by zenith16; 01-21-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #549
zenith16
Side-Kick

which poisitve and looking at what can be done to make them perform better but fromwhat the people would like to see from them.

well here it is from Game Informer

source: GI

Last edited by zenith16; 01-26-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #550
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Lord, Mighty Bomb Jack. That ****ing game drove me insane.

Closed Thread