Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #51
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Default Re: WiiU - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I'm sure they'll discover new issues.
I'd rather have buggy Bethesda games instead of no Bethesda games.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #52
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

My friend had an awful experience with Skyrim on PS3. If I were him, I definitely would have rather not bought it than have spent $60 on a game that was barely playable.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #53
zenith16
Side-Kick

Like I said their games are fun but they are a bug fest when first released. that doesn't mean they shouldn't be bought or played. if that's an issue, then what you need to do is to wait and keep an eye to see if they have their issue's fixed patch it as soon as possible. I still enjoy playing Fallout 3 and some of my other titles. My only issue with them is time these days. that's about it there.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-06-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #54
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
My friend had an awful experience with Skyrim on PS3. If I were him, I definitely would have rather not bought it than have spent $60 on a game that was barely playable.
I can relate to that. When the original Assassins Creed came out on PS3, it was a buggy mess. I remember the thing constantly freezing on me, forcing me to do a hard reset in order to play, losing my progress as a result. I feel that probably ruined my experience with the game and made hate it all these years later even though it did receive a patch to fix up its issues. If I had played it for the first time, post-patch, I may not be as hard on it. I imagine that's how your friend feels with Skyrim, but to a greater degree

Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #55
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Kind of evened out by the fact that nearly all the console devs are working for PS4 & XB1 while Nintendo are having to do nearlly all the work themselves for wii U.
It's going to be tough for the Wii U to stay relevant once the PS4 and Xbone developers start pumping out real 8th generation games.

Mario and Link can only do so much. The Wii U is just not in the same league.

But then Microsoft and Sony's biggest mistake as I see it, is not courting the younger demographic (i.e. kids) in any real way. Nintendo is doing great there.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #56
Havok83
Side-Kick

Kids aren't the ones with disposable income. At least initially, the ones who are going to be buying and using these consoles are primarily going to be adults. Besides PS4 has Knack and MS has its Kinect stuff

Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #57
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

You really think parents who will buy a 350 dollar console for their kids, won't buy a 400 dollar one if their kids want it more?

Plus, it can also be used as a blu-ray player (something that would appeal to adults and or parents). The Wii U can't even play DVDs. Not to mention the diverse library they (parents) are much more likely to appreciate.

It's Sony's loss. And to a lesser extent Microsoft, but they've already proven how inept they are.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #58
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

From the (few) kids that I know, the console with Minecraft on it will be the console the kids want. So with that in mind, Microsoft is doing just fine.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #59
Havok83
Side-Kick

I really don't think it is a loss. They aren't ignoring a younger demographic. It just isnt their primary focus at launch. Both do have titles that will appeal to kids

Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #60
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, appealing to kids put Nintendo on top. SEGA had Sonic. Sony really should look for their own kids cash cow.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #61
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, appealing to kids put Nintendo on top. SEGA had Sonic. Sony really should look for their own kids cash cow.
and those kids are now adults. The gaming industry and market has changed from where it was in the 80s. Games themselves are more mature and technology has advanced to the point that they aren't merely a child's hobby. Sony has and continues to target the younger demographic. That was the primary reason behind the push for products such as Move, Wonderbook, EyePet, etc... The fact is their bread and butter is their mature titles. The Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzones, Infamous, etc...those are the ones that sell the most. Those are Sony's cash cows. With that said, they still put out content aimed at younger gamers. They devoted a good chunk of their E3 press conference to indie games and highlighted PSN titles such as Octodad for example. Knack was the very first game they decided to showcase when they announced the PS4. To say they aren't looking at younger gamers isn't exactly accurate.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #62
zenith16
Side-Kick

It's best not to Exclude the kid's of today and there are plenty kid's that will grow up on these thing's as we did . what should be happening is that the video game industry should be catering to all ages it's why we have genre's as much as movies and books are. though it seem some time it's forgotten a little bit on occasion there cause some of us have become too focused on our own personal wants. so thunder cracker has a point. but each console publi8sh should gaming in all area's focusing fine but you should forget or Exclude one area ether. Not just to one crowd .

here's what's new

Pokémon Rumble U Trailer Shows Off Near Field Communication Technology

Preview
on Aug 06, 2013 at 07:37 PM

The Wii U GamePad is capable of near field communication technology, much like the Skylanders series and the upcoming Disney Infinity. Pokémon Rumble U will the first game to take advantage of it.
... More

source: GI

Last edited by zenith16; 08-06-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #63
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
It's best not to Exclude the kid's of today and there are plenty kid's that will grow up on these thing's as we did . what should be happening is that the video game industry should be catering to all ages it's why we have genre's as much as movies and books are. though it seem some time it's forgotten a little bit on occasion there cause some of us have become too focused on our own personal wants. so thunder cracker has a point. but each console publi8sh should gaming in all area's focusing fine but you should forget or Exclude one area ether. Not just to one crowd .
and Sony's done a decent job of covering games that would appeal to both younger and older gamers. Every console generation, they have their mascot characters which they push out as the casual face of the system. PS1 had Crash and Spyro. PS2 had Jak, Ratchet and Sly. PS3 had Ratchet and later Sackboy from LBP. Ratchet really has been the one that's been their most consistent one for years now and they've pushed him out across a lot of games this gen and he'll soon have another one. Not to mention a movie on the big screens which evokes a Pixar feel to it, which will give them a much wider exposure to those who may not have even heard of the games. Chances are it will have a tie in game for new fans who's parents took them to see it can flock to. None of this is done to appeal to a younger market?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #64
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, Mario's success is definitely in large part thanks to his games actually being really well designed games, but do not underestimate the buying power of kids (which they exercise through their parents). Games like Mario Kart still eats all those titles alive.

At the PS4 and Xbone unveiling, and subsequent expos, I saw very little (nothing really) targeted at anyone younger than mid teens. So, I just have to disagree with "decent job".

There are also now more kids than there were in the 80's.

There's a reason Sony will never have anything on Nintendo in the handhelds department, even with the 3DS' messy launch.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #65
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
and Sony's done a decent job of covering games that would appeal to both younger and older gamers. Every console generation, they have their mascot characters which they push out as the casual face of the system. PS1 had Crash and Spyro. PS2 had Jak, Ratchet and Sly. PS3 had Ratchet and later Sackboy from LBP. Ratchet really has been the one that's been their most consistent one for years now and they've pushed him out across a lot of games this gen and he'll soon have another one. Not to mention a movie on the big screens which evokes a Pixar feel to it, which will give them a much wider exposure to those who may not have even heard of the games. Chances are it will have a tie in game for new fans who's parents took them to see it can flock to. None of this is done to appeal to a younger market?
what I'm saying is if they have that they should keep that up as much as possible just as much and that's means Nintendo should keep the market of kid's for new comers of that age . But should also try to appeal to the generation that is Growing up, To adults like us. that what I meant when I made that statement with all the console makers should appeal to all age's I'm not taking a shot at a particular one. That's what I mean with no Exclusion. The problem is when most of the console publishers went after the casuals there was too much of a shift in focus and that's not a good thing.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #66
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Though really, Nintendo has made a ton of mistakes. The biggest being basically all but giving up on openly competing with the other two consoles, in games aimed at anyone who's hit puberty.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #67
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Though really, Nintendo has made a ton of mistakes. The biggest being basically all but giving up on openly competing with the other two consoles, in games aimed at anyone who's hit puberty.
yeah I just said that. They need to appeal to all age's none of these publisher's should be overly too focused on just one type of crowd, it's fine when your trying to pick up their attention but don't forget about the others or the ones you have. It's what put's you out of business and those people make it hard for you to get them back. Over reliance in one area for too long is a terrible thing and so is exclusion of the people you have or want to stay with you.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #68
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Agreed. Nintendo has tried to stick to a certain kiddishly sort of ambiguous demographic which alienates the actual console consumers and its had some serious effects.

All the loyal core users from the 80s and 90s were lost to xbox and ps as they got what they wanted there. Thats a huge loss and their biggest mistake.

Some of the key titles that were associated with the console have gone other directions.

The third party market doesnt see it worth porting their titles to a console that does not reach out to their main customers. Basically 3rd party has defected nintendo which is a brutal problem.

The console gaming world had a bit of a fad with casual gamers but that is gone. Console gamers are the market and these people wont look at a nintendo console if nintendo doesnt give at the least what the rest of the market offers.

I dont mind playing mario, or even kirby, but I want a console where I can play more mature titles and nintendo refuses to do that. If metroid was on xbox it would be a much much much more popular title as it would have at least gotten a decent push from them. Nintendo should take advantage of all the franchises it has but it needs more mature titles.

They need to dump their CEO. Take a breather and come back with a new image next time around. Give me a good reason to play with nintendo power.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #69
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, I think "all" is a huge overstatement. But many. I still have a Wii after all, in addition to a Xbox 360 and a PS3. Let's not forget that the Wii sold the most of all three 7th gen consoles, so obviously a lot of people across demographics are still buying it.

But one of Nintendo's other problems goes hand in glove with this. That is their apparent ineptness at dealing with third party companies. As a result, they are overly reliant on their own franchises. For example, there's no reason the Wii U couldn't have games like Crysis 3 or Destiny on it. With the former at least, Nintendo simply wasn't responsive.

The biggest issue now is the Wii U's lack of power. Even if they seriously improved their outreach, the third party support they will get will be very limited, as, the Wii U will be unable to handle the more powerful PS4 and Xbone games that will be coming out in the following years.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #70
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Diagrams(WU) View Post
I dont mind playing mario, or even kirby, but I want a console where I can play more mature titles and nintendo refuses to do that. If metroid was on xbox it would be a much much much more popular title as it would have at least gotten a decent push from them. Nintendo should take advantage of all the franchises it has but it needs more mature titles.
Very doubtful. It was already quite popular (each installment sold over 1 million copies), and it's not the kind of game that's going to cross over to the Halo/COD fanbase, if that's what you're implying. I'm not sure what you mean by a decent push either. It was marketed pretty well from what I recall, and they put a really hard push into Other M, though that one didn't pan out very well.

The problem isn't that Nintendo doesn't do these things. They do. Bayonetta 2, Eternal Darkness, Geist, Xenoblade Chronicles are/were all Nintendo funded titles/IPs that fit what you describe. I'm sure there's others, too. They just don't put the kind of effort they ultimately should into it. But then again, all the above mentioned games (with the exclusion of B2, since it's not out yet) were either bombs or underperformed. It's a bit of a cop out to put it all on Nintendo's outdated practices, when every time they do what you suggest, it burns them to a varying degree.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #71
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Xbox tried to cross over with games seires outside their comfort zone early in the 360s years (Kameo, Lost Oddysee, Ninety Nine Nights), but none of them really stuck or connected with gamers.

Microsoft knows their audiences and does a good job at reaching out to them. They're best with the FPS and Western RPG crowds. Exclusives like Halo, Gears, and fable, along with former exclusives like Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Oblivion are further proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #72
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quick Look: Pikmin 3

Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #73
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

360 also had plenty of Kinect shovelware to keep kids happy. The original Kinect didn't hit it off with core gamers (Kinect 2 might do better) but was still successful, and a large part of that was the appeal to kids (& women).

Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #74
MarvelWarrior
Does what a Spider can

Check this out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (102.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #75
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

It was such an odd thing with this latest Nintendo Direct in how they made Luigi in Smash seem like some kind of announcement. As if him being there wasn't already a given?

Anyway, Best Buy has a deal now where you get a $50 gift card with purchasing a Wii U deluxe model. I'm mulling over getting it. Not quite the same as an actual price cut, but kind of. I could put the card toward The Wonderful 101. I was going to wait until the holidays, but the more I see of W101, the more I need it. I doubt we're going to see anything more than a $50 cut anyway. I don't foresee anything they could bundle with the Wii U either to make me think waiting would be a good idea.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Closed Thread