The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #101
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Default Re: WiiU - Part 2

Why isn't there a downloadable demo, or even playable demo via, oh I don't know, GAMESTOP or BEST BUY where I can try Pikmin 3? I know Nintendo recognizes this as a killer app game, people will buy it regardless, but I keep looking at gameplay for it. It looks dreadfully boring, and I just want to try it out. A non-refundable $60 risk is not what I'm looking for, especially on a system I don't even touch anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Lauper
Taffy butt! You have a taffy butt!
There's treasure in that butt
I want that taffy butt!
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #102
zenith16
Side-Kick

they should put out more demo's apparently alot of dev studio's seem to be hesitant of late especially after alot have made demo that seem to turn people off and those games still turned out better. looking at both kingdom of Amalur and Deus Ex: HR ETC. but unlike those games, their creators were new when they came on the Scene, pikmin is an older series and they should able to put out a better demo that won't have people saying they won't touch it at launch or cancel cause of that demo. So there should be demo's sent out. we'll see what happens.

Iwata: Nintendo magic comes from integrating hardware and software

(1 hour ago)

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata says the company's chief differentiator is its invention and introduction of hardware and software, and how having those different teams under the same umbrella.

"What I believe is that Nintendo is a very unique company, because it does its business by designing and introducing people to hardware and software – by integrating them, we can be unique. And because we have hardware and software developers in the same building, they stimulate each other," Iwata tells CVG.

This approach, Iwata says, has cemented fandom in Nintendo's lineup of franchises. And why not offer Nintendo games on competing platforms? With such a stable of system sellers at its disposal, Iwata thinks it'd be short-sighted for Nintendo to offer its games elsewhere.

If he wasn't "concerned about the long-term future of Nintendo at all," Iwata says putting Nintendo games on other systems may lead to "some short-term profit." Ultimately, it's Iwata's responsibility for the long-term that prevents him from ever "providing our precious resources for other platforms at all."

Iwata, who this year took on the role of Nintendo of America CEO in addition to his duties as company president, got his start at Nintendo as a programmer for HAL Laboratory, the outfit responsible for creating Kirby, the Mother series (Earthbound) and the Super Smash Bros. franchise. He has served as president of Nintendo since 2002.
Source: CVG

Last edited by zenith16; 08-08-2013 at 08:18 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #103
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
Why isn't there a downloadable demo, or even playable demo via, oh I don't know, GAMESTOP or BEST BUY where I can try Pikmin 3? I know Nintendo recognizes this as a killer app game, people will buy it regardless, but I keep looking at gameplay for it. It looks dreadfully boring, and I just want to try it out. A non-refundable $60 risk is not what I'm looking for, especially on a system I don't even touch anymore.
If you've owned a Gamecube or Wii, you don't have an excuse for having never played Pikmin 1 or 2 before. Pikmin 3 is the same gameplay. If you like RTS, micromanaging, and exploration, you'll probably like it. There are enemies you encounter (some harder than others) and boss fights, too. Each type of Pikmin also has different strengths. Red are immune to fire and best fighters. Yellow are immune to electricity, can be thrown higher, and use bomb rocks. Blue Pikmin can swim. Rock Pikmin can deal heavy damage when thrown on enemies and break glass. Those are all I've encountered so far.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #104
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

I've never played any Pikmin. They've looked unappealing to me. But yoou can't judge a book by its cover. But I don't want to keep spending large amounts of money on something I may not like. I've had every non-Virtual Boy Nintendo system, and no, I never played a Pikmin (or Animal Crossing) game.

So a demo, NINTENDO, would have been nice...it seems weird most of Nintendo's big must-have 3DS and Wii U games have had some sort of demo available, yet the so-called 1st "system seller" title for the Wii U is just "trust us, and buy this now" game. I just want to try before I buy.

Quote:
I want that taffy butt!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #105
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
I've never played any Pikmin. They've looked unappealing to me. But yoou can't judge a book by its cover. But I don't want to keep spending large amounts of money on something I may not like. I've had every non-Virtual Boy Nintendo system, and no, I never played a Pikmin (or Animal Crossing) game.

So a demo, NINTENDO, would have been nice...it seems weird most of Nintendo's big must-have 3DS and Wii U games have had some sort of demo available, yet the so-called 1st "system seller" title for the Wii U is just "trust us, and buy this now" game. I just want to try before I buy.
You've had 12 years to try the series. If you haven't by now because it looks unappealing, you probably won't enjoy it. If you still want to try the series anyway, get the Nintendo Selects Pikmin 2 for Wii, it shouldn't cost you more than $30 and it's a good game. I rarely see demos for big games anymore. Mostly because it's very obvious what you're going to get.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #106
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I have both a PS3 and a Wii U and if GTA V came out on the Wii U, I'd still choose the PS3 version over the Wii U version. Sony offers a hell of a lot more with their multiplatform titles like achievements, superior online, and better DLC support than Nintendo does for me to be truly interested in Wii U multiplatform titles unless they go all Ninja Gaiden 3 with it.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #107
zenith16
Side-Kick

And they finally came out and said it.

Iwata Says Multiplatform Development Is Not In Nintendo's Future

News
on Aug 08, 2013 at 07:38 PM

With the Wii U posting anemic sales numbers, the calls for Nintendo to follow in the footsteps of Sega and leave the hardware business for multiplatform game development are increasing. However, Nintendo head Satoru Iwata says that it would be a move done for "short term profit."
... More

source:GI

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #108
Matt Mortem
Big Figure

Isn't there a demo for Pikmin 3 that you can download from the Eshop?

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #109
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

No, I checked...

Quote:
I want that taffy butt!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #110
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Why Nintendo doesn't try to get GTA V on the Wii U, is anyone's guess. It's one of the last big third party titles they can support. Rockstar even said it's an option.
I would guess that Rockstar was looking for some kind of incentive (aka money) to bring it over with the state of 3rd party sells.

Quote:
Do they? Haha, I hope not. Those games sell alright, I think, but I always thought they were in the lower tier of Ninty franchises.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Kamiya
Is that IGN thing your god or something?
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #111
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I definitely want W101, but I'll buy GTAV first. I have a birthday in October so it'll probably be the next month when I get it.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #112
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, Nintendo still has a few tricks up its sleeve, but it needs to throw its users a bone, and fight for more third party titles.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #113
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

The question, though, is it worth it in the end? At the rate that most 3rd party games sell on the Wii U, Nintendo is going to either have to pay out or lower publishing fees. With those games selling so little, is it beneficial or does it make them lose even less? Personally, I would try to go for it, but it'd be a potentially big financial risk. It's a hard call to make.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #114
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Depends on the titles. I can't imagine GTA V not being profitable.

With other titles, I can see it being an issue, but as I keep saying, once the PS4 and the Xbone hit the market, the Wii U is dead in the water with major third party companies, since, it can't handle 8th gen games. So any third party games from that point on will have to be specially made for the Wii U.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #115
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Well, the Wii U userbase is only what, 4 million or so right now? I could see it not being profitable, or at least not profitable enough for Ninty to have shell out more to get it on their system.

Really, though, what you're talking about isn't new to Nintendo. The Gamecube was basically dead from a 3rd party viewpoint, and the Wii was in a different way (it got a lot of games, but generally got skipped over for shovelware).

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #116
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I consider the Gamecube to be something of a failure, in that it sold (considerably) less than all of Nintendo's other consoles, and the competition (well, except the Dreamcast, but... we all know what happened there). It's my least favorite Nintendo console.

I think the Wii U was a mistake, but, it's out there, and I can't see Nintendo dropping it any time soon.

Nintendo could still rough it out. They do have their own killer apps.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #117
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

It's a failure because it was in a distance third place, even behind a complete newcomer to the market. It was successful in that it made Nintendo profit. It was 50/50 in the succeed/fail part.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo will just tough out the Wii U, at least for a few more years. I think it'll end up building up to at least a GC level userbase at least. That's not really good, but the handheld market will balance it all out.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #118
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I do hope this doesn't turn into a trend, where Nintendo keeps making less powerful consoles than their competitors.

The Wii had a few things going for it the Wii U does not.

Once the "real" Mario games hit the store, we'll see how well it does. And then there's always Smash Bros and Zelda, though after Skyward Sword, I'm skeptical of Zelda's appeal (beyond hardcore Nintendo fans).

Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #119
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

I don't expect them to do it again. The Wii was explosive, but the Wii U seems to show it was more lightening in a bottle than Nintendo probably hoped.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #120
zenith16
Side-Kick

As I said and keep saying the reason why the Wii sold was mostly the price and the fact that it was always in the media such as "Abc Evening news " almost often on helping those with memory loss, the Elderly and Health issue's such as obesity with kids. That went along way. right now there's not much of that happening with the Wii U. in advertizing or the news. they need more advertising and alot more. it wasn't just one thing but alot thing's. but the low price did help (all due to stock market nearly crashing ). it was sorta about the timing too and people not wanting to spend too much and wanting deal for a system like that.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-08-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #121
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Actually, I'd say the motion technology - which ironically the others derided, as well as a very popular kids line up is what put it over the top. Well, the price was a major factor too, I'm sure.

Not to mention launching with a Zelda game, that was genius.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #122
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Actually, I'd say the motion technology - which ironically the others derided, as well as a very popular kids line up is what put it over the top. Well, the price was a major factor too, I'm sure.

That's true I'm not discounting that but the Resession is still a big factor with that among the others and it's timing and people/ parents wanting a deal too. which is why I always head back there. but as I said it's a lot of factors even those I forget to mention the other factor some times. though it didn't work for all the games it was supposed have the motion controller was something.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-08-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #123
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, Nintendo has lost that edge. The new consoles all have motion technology, and the PS4 is only 50 bucks away.

Still, I figure Nintendo will drop 50 bucks off, in the next year.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #124
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:

Genius or common sense?

Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #125
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, Nintendo has lost that edge. The new consoles all have motion technology, and the PS4 is only 50 bucks away.

Still, I figure Nintendo will drop 50 bucks off, in the next year.
That will go along way especially now that there will be games coming out each month.

Oh Ice man marvel finally started putting those video's of what they
did at SDCC on youtube when they put up that video they did with victor Lucus on that whole channel for video games and comic's I'll send your way via pm. well if they put it up.

Last edited by zenith16; 08-09-2013 at 12:35 AM.