The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #26
Victarion
Cut

Default Re: Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 4

The Sinister Six's goal should be to carve out their own territory in New York. This could turn the city into a warzone where the generals are the S6; Spider-Man has to stop them.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
The Villain
Side-Kick

I for one certainly looking forward to seeing Jamie Foxx as Electro. I don't want to sway off topic to far however would some people have excepted Foxx as Shocker? This is not a pick against Electro at all just an idea.

I mean Shocker maybe less of a threat for some critics but given directors like Webb & co a beefed up role for someone like Shocker as a main villain could be achieved.

Electro is absolute classic 60s Spider Man so is Shocker. I just think perhaps characters like Shocker may also work lesser villain or not.

If Shocker ever gets to a movie screen in near future I would love to see a bit of the old costume but again updated for todays audience.

Any ideas or concepts?

The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #28
JOE

Shocker is too one dimensional to devote a movie to him. He'd be a side villain like they're doing with Rhino.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Shocker is too one dimensional to devote a movie to him. He'd be a side villain like they're doing with Rhino.

Everyone said that about Electro too (and they were right). So what did they do? They revised his entire character. Boom. Now everyone seems to love it.

Shocker's actually got a few interesting stories from throughout the years. So it is totally doable.

If TASM2's Electro has taught us anything (along with guardians of the galaxy), it's that you can take just about any b-level, two-dimensional character, give him a sob-story background, add new elements to the character and the "fans" will love it. Bring on the Spot, Rocket Racer, Carrion, Molten Man, etc...

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Everyone said that about Electro too (and they were right). So what did they do? They revised his entire character. Boom. Now everyone seems to love it.

Shocker's actually got a few interesting stories from throughout the years. So it is totally doable.

If TASM2's Electro has taught us anything (along with guardians of the galaxy), it's that you can take just about any b-level, two-dimensional character, give him a sob-story background, add new elements to the character and the "fans" will love it. Bring on the Spot, Rocket Racer, Carrion, Molten Man, etc...
True, yet in terms of powers I find him very bland. Electro is a lot more versatile. The disappearing in electrical sockets, flying etc just makes him that much more of a threat. Shocker is like a guy with a big gun as far as I'm concerned.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
True, yet in terms of powers I find him very bland. Electro is a lot more versatile. The disappearing in electrical sockets, flying etc just makes him that much more of a threat. Shocker is like a guy with a big gun as far as I'm concerned.
As far as I know, the travelling through outlets and flying is only a very recent addition to the character (like, within the last few years).

Is a character only as interesting as their powers? I think not. Otherwise, Bane is just a really strong guy, Ra's al ghul is a guy who is a ninja, Joker is a crazy dude, etc...

It's easy to make a character sound boring by describing them in the most simplistic way possible.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #32
JOE

What other comparable dynamics does Shocker bring to the table that Bane brought to TDKR, Ra's al Ghul to BB and Joker to TDK?

Apples and oranges, IMO.

He's a solid B villain.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #33
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Quote:

Electro was actually my second fav villain, if not the first. So when I heard he was the villain I was stoked.
And I actually like Shocker too, but they probably chose Electro due to electricity. Idk.
The way I see it, I think they have to put the B-Level villain on the pedestal if they're the main villain mainly for the sake of storytelling. But I see what you're saying as well. It could kinda be seen as "cheap" and stereotypical for them to do that.

And dude I'm actually interested in molten man. Haha I don't know much about him but enjoyed watching the TSSM episode.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:

Those other villains aren't B level.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #35
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
What other comparable dynamics does Shocker bring to the table that Bane brought to TDKR, Ra's al Ghul to BB and Joker to TDK?

Apples and oranges, IMO.

He's a solid B villain.
We could ask the same about Electro (in the comics) and the answer is none. Hence, they have revised the character from the bottom up.

They'd do the same with the Shocker. Not saying I'd want it done, but it could very easily be done.

Off the top of my head, I recall in the ultimate series, the Shocker being a recurring "loser" character who is constantly defeated by Spider-Man until he finally gets it together (late in the series), captures and "defeats" Spider-Man, unmasking him, etc...

There was another story arc where Shcoker loses control of his gauntelts, making him more powerful than ever, but at the same time, there's a countdown to when they'll reach their maximum capacity and destroy the city with shockwaves.

Tweak these concepts, revise them a bit and there you go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
And dude I'm actually interested in molten man. Haha I don't know much about him but enjoyed watching the TSSM episode.
They're committing Rhino to celluloid, now let's see Mark Raxton on screen.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #36
JOE

Quote:
Bring on the Spot, Rocket Racer, Carrion, Molten Man, etc...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spot.jpg (126.9 KB, 0 views)

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #37
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Quote:
They're committing Rhino to celluloid, now let's see Mark Raxton on screen.
Maybe Jim Carrey is playing him..

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Jame Foxx talks electro

Quote:
"I think with all of the Spider-Man villains there is a certain empathy to them. The way we crafted Electro, when he's Max you definitely feel for him because he's been sort of shut out and no one really cares about him. And it's his birthday and even his mom forgot his birthday, so you will feel that. So when he does turn into Electro it's serious venom, he really wants to hurt everybody, and when he feels like Spider-Man betrays him he really wants to hurt him bad."

Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #39
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
We could ask the same about Electro (in the comics) and the answer is none. Hence, they have revised the character from the bottom up.
Some people seem to forget that when it comes to writing, anything is possible, especially in this case if you don't religiously follow what the character did or didn't do in the comics.

I agree with you. Shocker can easily be touched up from the comics to have more depth and motivation in a film. I've seen this complaint in the past about other characters that "wouldn't work on film" or "wouldn't be a formidable opponent". A lot of fans don't stop and think that whichever writers are doing this or that Superhero film can do almost anything they want, with the comic companies/studios approval of course.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Not sold yet of Foxx as Electro

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I think Foxx is going to be great as Max Dillon, especially after seeing the SDCC footage. I think its a matter of whether or not the writers did a good job.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #42
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think Foxx is going to be great as Max Dillon, especially after seeing the SDCC footage. I think its a matter of whether or not the writers did a good job.
Right. There shouldn't be any question as to whether or Not Foxx can effectively portray the character. Foxx is a fine actor and Electro certainly isn't a character that has been portrayed many times over the years, bringing along with it, certain expectations (ala Heath Ledger's Joker).

It's all up whether the writing is up to snuff.

Lots of people seem to be genuinely confused about the difference between writing and acting though (eg. blaming Tobey Maguire for the poor writing of SM3, etc...)

Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #43
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Right. There shouldn't be any question as to whether or Not Foxx can effectively portray the character. Foxx is a fine actor and Electro certainly isn't a character that has been portrayed many times over the years, bringing along with it, certain expectations (ala Heath Ledger's Joker).

It's all up whether the writing is up to snuff.

Lots of people seem to be genuinely confused about the difference between writing and acting though (eg. blaming Tobey Maguire for the poor writing of SM3, etc...)
Jamie Foxx has proved himself as a good actor many times over, so I have no worries about the casting. Based on what we saw in the SDCC footage, I think he will do great and give it his best. Its a matter of getting a good script and a solid storyline at this point.

I think Orci and Kurtzman have done a good job with ST, STID, and MI3, especially with villains, so here's hoping for the best!

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #44
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Jamie Foxx has proved himself as a good actor many times over, so I have no worries about the casting. Based on what we saw in the SDCC footage, I think he will do great and give it his best. Its a matter of getting a good script and a solid storyline at this point.

I think Orci and Kurtzman have done a good job with ST, STID, and MI3, especially with villains, so here's hoping for the best!
I liked Star Trek ID as well, but I would have preferred more a presence from Khan in the story (no fault of Cumberbatch). They built up the character, did the big (unsurprising) reveal and then there wasn't much for him to do. Not a very effective character/villain (not as much as he should have been anyway).

Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #45
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Not sold yet of Foxx as Electro
Neither am I.

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #46
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

A good actor: yes

Electro: can't see it

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #47
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I mean, what can you really do with Electro? His origin is so straightforward, you kind of have to add to the slate. Guy has an inferiority complex, decides to go on crime sprees.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #48
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
A good actor: yes

Electro: can't see it
Why? What element of the character of Electro do you have difficulty believing Foxx will be able to portray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I mean, what can you really do with Electro? His origin is so straightforward, you kind of have to add to the slate. Guy has an inferiority complex, decides to go on crime sprees.
Exactly.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #49
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I just think it's an unusual casting, I don't look at Foxx and go "if he's gotta be anyone, he's gotta be Electro!"

I might be wrong. We'll see

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #50
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, and I know this is an example that has never, ever been used in debate, what about Ledger and Joker?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote