The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 09-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #51
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I mean, what can you really do with Electro? His origin is so straightforward, you kind of have to add to the slate. Guy has an inferiority complex, decides to go on crime sprees.
Exactly. I like how later on in the comics, Electro did have more of a backstory with him mom and such, so they are incorporating some of that into the movie. I'm not sure of where the "outcast" concept comes from... I know we've seen that before in the 2003 animated series on MTV (which I did like a lot), so its possible that series had some influence on TASM2 in terms of Electro's character.

Otherwise, he is a character that has a lot of potential. He is very powerful, and I think there are a lot of possibilities for him on the big screen. It was just up to the filmmakers to fill in some of the missing gaps, in this case a bigger/better backstory. So far I like what I am hearing.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #52
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I just think it's an unusual casting, I don't look at Foxx and go "if he's gotta be anyone, he's gotta be Electro!"

I might be wrong. We'll see
Who would you look at and think "he's definitely Electro!"

Like Terry said, Electro is a character you've got to bring a lot to. He's not this legendary character like the Joker that has been portrayed so many different ways in the past and is so imbued in pop culture that he needs to be portrayed in a very particular way or else it's "wrong".

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #53
Picard Sisko

^Agreed. Electro is a character that needed added depth and dimension, and that's what the writers have done. They needed an actor who can fit their interpretation of the character, not the Electro we've seen in the comics. Otherwise just about any white actor would fit the part to play this guy:

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #54
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Jame Foxx talks electro

Seriously. Max sounds like a self depreciating wuss.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #55
Picard Sisko

Well, imagine being the guy who gets pushed around, ignored, and taken advantage of. You're smart, and have a lot to offer to the world, but nobody really pays attention to you because you are either socially awkward, and just look... dorky. You feel betrayed by everyone, even the person you once thought was your hero (Spider-Man). Then suddenly you are given powers... what do you do with them? He didn't choose the path of the hero. He never had an Uncle Ben to tell him "with great power, comes great responsibility." So now he sort of "crashes" and lets loose... and must be stopped.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
Picard Sisko

Here is my biggest question... when and why does Max decide to call himself "Electro?"

Yes, of course, he has electrical powers. But why does he call himself "Electro?" Maybe Spider-Man gives him that nickname? He gets it from the Daily Bugle? Perhaps Doc Ock is the one he is talking to in the promo and decides to call him that?

Maybe "Electro" is Max giving himself that new identity. He hated his life, and now this is the beginning of a new one. And what would be better than starting out your life as an electrically powered supervillain other than naming yourself "Electro?"

Thoughts? Ideas?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #57
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

I'm not sure where he actually gets the name Electro in this movieverse however I think him naming himself goes along with your second paragraph. It's about creating a new identity. He's saying Max died in the accident and now all that's left is Electro. He's been ignored, pushed around, forgotten, and he's been burned, even by Spider-Man. So, now, Electro is born and he's pissed. He's gonna make the world know him, fear him and feel every bit of his wrath and there's no way he'll ever be forgotten again.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #58
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
I'm not sure where he actually gets the name Electro in this movieverse however I think him naming himself goes along with your second paragraph. It's about creating a new identity. He's saying Max died in the accident and now all that's left is Electro. He's been ignored, pushed around, forgotten, and he's been burned, even by Spider-Man. So, now, Electro is born and he's pissed. He's gonna make the world know him, fear him and feel every bit of his wrath and there's no way he'll ever be forgotten again.
That just gave me chills... can't wait to see this movie.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #59
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
i hope he is accidentally named electro by spidey like in TSSM cartoon

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #60
Ajendo
Side-Kick

Um do we know how spidey supposedly "betrays" Max?

Tyrion: I wish to confess...
Ajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #61
Picard Sisko

Nope. I think Electro does something bad, thinking Spider-Man would approve of his actions. When Spider-Man tries to stop him, he feels betrayed...

idk, something along those lines maybe?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #62
theShape
Creature of Darkness

I wonder how many times Foxx is going to mention that Max's mom forgets his birthday in interviews. Seriously, doesn't have have anything else to say?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #63
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I wonder how many times Foxx is going to mention that Max's mom forgets his birthday in interviews. Seriously, doesn't have have anything else to say?
He probably can't give away that much information about the movie, so he probably doesn't. Even Marc Webb repeats himself a number of times in all his interviews.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #64
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
I think all the actors are tied down as to what they are allowed to talk about, so there's gonna be a lot of repitition, lol. And it sucks hearing the same stuff over and over but I'd rather they keep a bunch of stuff closely guarded anyway...a less spoiled movie-watching experience will be more exciting imo.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #65
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I think all the actors are tied down as to what they are allowed to talk about, so there's gonna be a lot of repitition, lol. And it sucks hearing the same stuff over and over but I'd rather they keep a bunch of stuff closely guarded anyway...a less spoiled movie-watching experience will be more exciting imo.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #66
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Obviously, we all know that's the case. Non-disclosure agreements, all that good stuff. None of us want the movie spoiled, especially not me.

I was just referring to the bit about about Max's mom forgetting his birthday. Reporters and news outlets are always asking Foxx to tell them about his character and how/why he turns into a villain, and one of Foxx's go-to responses is that his mom forgets his birthday. Not only does that sound pretty lame (especially when we read it over and over again), but it's also technically a spoiler in it's own right. Something he probably never should have said in the first place.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #67
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Obviously, we all know that's the case. Non-disclosure agreements, all that good stuff. None of us want the movie spoiled, especially not me.

I was just referring to the bit about about Max's mom forgetting his birthday. Reporters and news outlets are always asking Foxx to tell them about his character and how/why he turns into a villain, and one of Foxx's go-to responses is that his mom forgets his birthday. Not only does that sound pretty lame (especially when we read it over and over again), but it's also technically a spoiler in it's own right. Something he probably never should have said in the first place.

Foxx "spoiled" these same details almost from day one. I remember him coming out and divulging all the stuff about his mother, etc...very shortly after he had been cast.

Let's be honest. There's not much to Max Dillon other than him being a looked down upon misfit and "loser" who gets powers and goes berserk, taking revenge against those he believes wrong him. So, he thinks he's Spidey's sidekick and his mother forgets his birthday. I doubt there's anything more substantive or that there are any grand revelations to his character other than that. It's a simple story and he's a simple, straightforward character.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #68
JOE

Unless the Chameleon is really pretending to be Max... Dun Dun Dun Dun...

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #69
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Seriously. Max sounds like a self depreciating wuss.
He really does, and that's disappointing. He sound like the 10yr old kid, who goes home, get a gun, bring it to school, and shoots the two kids who have been picking on him, while shooting numerous other innocent bystanders. A complete Wuss...and that ladies & gentlemen is your main villain, that many of you are going goo-goo & ga-ga about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
What element of the character of Electro do you have difficulty believing Foxx will be able to portray?
You want to cast someone who's natural persona fits the persona of the character you are asking the actor to play or someone who naturally have similar physical characteristics of the character....and the best possible scenario is a combination of both.

The persona that Webb is characterizing Max, just simply do not fit or even come close to anything remotely thought of as a Jamie Foxx character. They are asking Jamie to play essentially a wuss character and play him seriously. Not in a comedic way like "In Living Color" or in some comedy. Which leads me to terry78:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I mean, what can you really do with Electro? His origin is so straightforward, you kind of have to add to the slate. Guy has an inferiority complex, decides to go on crime sprees.
I agree with that analysis; however, if Webb wanted Jamie Foxx to be his guy, then you have to tweak the character to fit what the actor does best or is known for. In this case, Webb could have re-invented the characters a little, away from what he is in the comics and adapt some of Jamie's persona into the character Max.

In otherwords, Max should have already been a shady guy, with some street sense & hustle to him, much like the street thug that Max is in the comics; but obviously, more urban type-casting given we are talking about Foxx, who is good at playing such a slick role like that. As oppose to him playing a nerdy, engineer, with a comb-over, that appear to be out of touch with vibe of society around him...that certainly is a type-cast that any "white guy" that Picard Sisko has pointed out below, can certainly play.

You don't have to agree; but, do you guys get what I'm saying? You want the actor's persona to somewhat match the persona of the character he is tasked to play. Again, which leads me to Picard Sisko:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Electro is a character that needed added depth and dimension, and that's what the writers have done. They needed an actor who can fit their interpretation of the character, not the Electro we've seen in the comics. Otherwise just about any white actor would fit the part to play this guy:
I understand that, which is why you tweak Max character a little and re-invent him slightly to fit the silver screen version of him.

Again, Webb made Max a nerdy wuss, engineer, who works at Oscorps...which btw is a major re-invention of the character. As oppose to being what he is in the comics, either a street thug or an electrician(he has essentially two backgrounds in the comics).

I say, given that Foxx is your guy, I would have made Max a street muscle in the city's one of many small criminal elements, whom happens to have a background as an out-of-work maintenance electrician. Dib & dab in the underworld to make some ends, to maintain a living. The street punks, some who are guys he grew-up a lifetime with, could be his family and closest companions. They could be on a big time job, with major cheese on the line, for some "Big Man" since there's a hint of underworld elements being set up for future films.

They could breaking into one of Oscorps satellite sites or warehouse. Spidey ruin the heist, as one is killed, Max is involved in the accident that changes his life forever, two or web & captured, and one gets away...whom later informs Max that his best bud got killed, as he is wondering what is happening to him(Max). This leads to Max wanting to go after Spidey. Ties the heist not only to Oscorps, but to what Rhino was going after as well, had Max & friends was able to bring down the electrical security system(background as an electrician).

It don't have to happen like that, just giving an example how the character's persona could best fit Foxx persona, in portraying a type of character that fit what Foxx does best. Foxx is essentially playing a character that is written & best suited for an actor who can portray "deranged white guy" on screen.

Also, I can't really see Foxx just shooting lightening bolts, and not throwing punches, dipping & dodging, slick get away, and using his wits & and smart as quips. We don't seem to be getting that from this character...this is what appear to be lacking, that Foxx would completely own. He just don't fit the persona of this Max that Webb has created, imho.

We shall see.....

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #70
JOE

It's unfair to assume that until we see the movie. He might make the audience shed some tears for all we know. Could be touching.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #71
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Quote:
It's my contention that's all he got to hang his hat on, in his attempt to make the character appear sympathetic and/or relatable....which again, I said in the previous post, only is relatable to those bullied kids that go get a gun, bring it to school, killing a number of innocent people except the very ones that bullied him.

Come on....he's what portrayed as a "40 year old virgin" and is hurt that his mom(whom he lives with) forgot his birthday??? That's your villain....how relatable & sympathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
It's unfair to assume that until we see the movie. He might make the audience shed some tears for all we know. Could be touching.
Wait...how is that unfair, and different from you? It's a critique, so it's just as unfair for you to assume it will be a tear-jerker, until we actually see the movie.......and see if that's the case.

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #72
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post
It's my contention that's all he got to hang his hat on, in his attempt to make the character appear sympathetic and/or relatable....which again, I said in the previous post, only is relatable to those bullied kids that go get a gun, bring it to school, killing a number of innocent people except the very ones that bullied him.

Come on....he's what portrayed as a "40 year old virgin" and is hurt that his mom(whom he lives with) forgot his birthday??? That's your villain....how relatable & sympathetic.

Wait...how is that unfair, and different from you? It's a critique, so it's just as unfair for you to assume it will be a tear-jerker, until we actually see the movie.......and see if that's the case.
I said "he might" as a direct response to it being the opposite of what you're saying. It's a hypothetical instead of "it seems like" implying it's already decided.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #73
SpeterMan3
Formerly SpeterMan3

I don't think there's much of anything that Jamie Foxx can't do.

SpeterMan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #74
Smoke87
Side-Kick

All that stuff sounds like the makings of a great villian to me. Someone ignored crapped on his whole life and then given crazy unimaginable power. I think Foxx is gonna kill this role.

Smoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #75
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke87 View Post
All that stuff sounds like the makings of a great villian to me. Someone ignored crapped on his whole life and then given crazy unimaginable power. I think Foxx is gonna kill this role.
I'm with you all the way on that.

I haven't seen or heard anything I don't like about Electro. Right now, as I've said many times over, it all depends on whether or not he is well written and the film has a good script. If the movie fails, I highly doubt it will have anything to do with Jamie Foxx's performance or even the type of character he is playing. Its all about the directing and the script at this point.