The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #76
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 4

That's usually how most villains become villains. It's always some small insignificant **** that just sets them off. Ironically the people that lose more in the comicverse actually end up being heroes more often than not.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #77
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I think I'm just gonna accept that every villain for Spidey films will be sympathetic. I don't know why they do this over, over, over, and over again. I mean, Lizard is the only villain that had damn reason to not be dark in some way. Norman is a rich douchebag, Octavious is power hungry, Sandman is a hardened criminal, Brock is a dick.

Joker didn't have a good start.
Loki didn't have a good start.
Vanko didn't have a good start.
Zod didn't have a good start.
Red Skull didn't have a good start.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #78
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I think I'm just gonna accept that every villain for Spidey films will be sympathetic. I don't know why they do this over, over, over, and over again. I mean, Lizard is the only villain that had damn reason to not be dark in some way. Norman is a rich douchebag, Octavious is power hungry, Sandman is a hardened criminal, Brock is a dick.

Sure, Joker wasn't empathetic, but he wasn't meant to be. His character was an archetype that was representative of larger thematic elements in the film (the ying to Batman's yang, etc...). Much of Nolan's series relied on literary cues like this. Which is great and works very well for that particular character in that particular story Nolan was telling...

Loki was very empathetic. You really felt for him, feeling angry and betrayed by his father, etc... He was the guy who had been dealt a bad hand and who lashed out.

Vanko is similar (although the character was really poorly written), a guy who goes out to avenge his father for reasons he believes to be true.

Zod was also very empathetic, an angry, misguided soldier doing his best to protect his people/lineage. He thought what he was doing was right.

Red Skull, well, yeah, he was pretty much just "evil" (and consequently, not that interesting).

So yeah, none of those characters are just out and out "evil", out to conquer the world or whatever (Except for the Skull. lol). Someone being a rich douchebag, power hungry, hardened criminal or a dick are hardly interesting, multitiered characters that can bring forth some emotion or captivate the audience.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #79
Spideyfan117
Yo When's Mahvel!?

A character being "evil" should only be one part of the overall story. There HAS to be something more to them than that in order for them to be interesting. Elaborating on the events that lead them to pursue a villainous life is one method of achieving that. Allegory is also a way to achieve that. For example, it's not a superhero film, but the original 1954 Godzilla, the titular creature wasn't just destroying the city for the sake of being evil. He was driven into a rage by nuclear fallout and is, in fact, symbolic of the horrors of nuclear energy. That's a good example how you make an antagonistic character (evil or otherwise) interesting.

Spideyfan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #80
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Obviously, we all know that's the case. Non-disclosure agreements, all that good stuff. None of us want the movie spoiled, especially not me.

I was just referring to the bit about about Max's mom forgetting his birthday. Reporters and news outlets are always asking Foxx to tell them about his character and how/why he turns into a villain, and one of Foxx's go-to responses is that his mom forgets his birthday. Not only does that sound pretty lame (especially when we read it over and over again), but it's also technically a spoiler in it's own right. Something he probably never should have said in the first place.
Technically, yes, it is a spoiler and it came out just after Foxx had been cast. He probably hadn't gotten the memo about what he wasn't supposed to talk about but since he already did, it's ok for him to continue or it's very likely that he is allowed to talk about the one aspect and there are other things he isn't allowed.

Anyways, it sounds like you are too focused on that one statement. On paper it may sound silly but if you take into context how he's been so ignored, and so pushed around, he feels like a nobody. He's incredibly depressed and in a sad, dark place in his life because of this I can only imagine how upsetting it would be to have your own mother forget about the day you were born. It's such a simple thing really, however it can still have a powerful effect, imo of course.

And Electro isn't much of a complex story to begin with. He's a very straightforward character. But in interviews Foxx has talked and emphasized about how he wants to make the audience feel for Max. He's talked about the 'big three'...Max's job, his social/love life, and his home/family. According to Foxx, each aspect will play a role in setting up how life is so sad and difficult. Foxx wants us to connect with Max and I believe we will.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #81
Loki882
Side-Kick

Villains who are simply "evil" for no reason, with VERY few exceptions, are just BORING. I'm doing this because I'm a bad guy, how uninteresting. I prefer more complex characters. I want even the villains to have SOME dimensions, they can be bad guys, but they're should be something more to them. It's no coincidence that my favorite villains are the more complicated ones (Magneto, Loki, Doctor Doom, etc).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #82
JOE

The Joker did it without a clear origin. It's very rare to see something along those lines. He liked chaos. He was simple. Yet goes down as one of the best villains in movie history, deservingly so.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #83
Loki882
Side-Kick

I did say that there were exceptions, just not that many of them. Also, the Joker is sort of a unique case. One, he wasn't even really a character per se, more of a force of nature who shows up out of nowhere to reek havoc. Two, he at least had a set ideology that was fairly interesting, it wasn't just a "take over the world, be a dick" type of thing.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #84
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Given what Jamie Foxx said in the article about Sinister 6, it sounds like Electro will die in ASM2..

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #85
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Given what Jamie Foxx said in the article about Sinister 6, it sounds like Electro will die in ASM2..
u trollin?

Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #86
JOE

Yeah it's pretty clear it'll be the exact opposite... He literally said electricity never dies, how do you figure he's going to?

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #87
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
i hope he is accidentally named electro by spidey like in TSSM cartoon
I loved his origin in TSSM.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #88
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post

He was an okay villain. The worst one out of all you listed.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #89
Loki882
Side-Kick

Hugo Weaving was really good as Red Skull. The problem is that they didn't give him all that much to do, he was really underused. The same is true of Mickey Rourke as Whiplash, they stuck him in a lab for the entire second half of the movie, that was dumb.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #90
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Yeah it's pretty clear it'll be the exact opposite... He literally said electricity never dies, how do you figure he's going to?
Yeah I know, but it sounded more to me like he was talking about a future "resurrection". Like, "Yeah, if they do the Sinister 6 I'm sure they'll be able to make Electro come back despite "dying" in ASM2" or something.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #91
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Yeah I know, but it sounded more to me like he was talking about a future "resurrection". Like, "Yeah, if they do the Sinister 6 I'm sure they'll be able to make Electro come back despite "dying" in ASM2" or something.
yeah i took it to mean this as well.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #92
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajendo View Post
Um do we know how spidey supposedly "betrays" Max?
Didn't someone say that there is a sort of team up between Electro and Spidey? I figured that Rhino was beating the hell out of Spider-Man and Max shows up to save his hero. Except Max is reckless with his powers and Spidey scolds him or forces him to stop. Max resents this and feels betrayed, making him hate his former idol.

Just my guess.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #93
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Didn't someone say that there is a sort of team up between Electro and Spidey? I figured that Rhino was beating the hell out of Spider-Man and Max shows up to save his hero. Except Max is reckless with his powers and Spidey scolds him or forces him to stop. Max resents this and feels betrayed, making him hate his former idol.

Just my guess.
If you look at the comic con teaser you notice spidey saving max from a mysterious flipping over flying car that just about misses him... best guess that's down to rhino, I mean I'm not saying it was aiming for him but just rhino being wrecking havok

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 09-15-2013 at 11:23 AM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #94
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
If you look at the comic con teaser you notice spidey saving max from a mysterious flipping over flying car that just about misses him... best guess that's down to rhino, I mean I'm not saying it was aiming for him but just rhino being wrecking havok
Could be. It could also be Aleksei smashing cars out of the way as he drives the truck, pre-Rhino costume.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #95
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Could be. It could also be Aleksei smashing cars out of the way as he drives the truck, pre-Rhino costume.
Maybe but personally I think the police chase will open the film and I think introducing max in a crowd that just about to get hit by a car probably ain't right way to do it

I mean I might be wrong but that's how I can see it working, I suspect we will see who max is and how people talk to him and treat him before we get to the scene where he meets spidey just so we can understand why he becomes obsessed with him

Just my guess though, will see

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 09-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #96
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Maybe but personally I think the police chase will open the film and I think introducing max in a crowd that just about to get hit by a car probably ain't right way to do it

I mean I might be wrong but that's how I can see it working, I suspect we will see who max is and how people talk to him and treat him before we get to the scene where he meets spidey just so we can understand why he becomes obsessed with him

Just my guess though, will see
I never said that the scene with Spidey saving Max was his introduction, but you're right, we will find out next year.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #97
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Lol, his character in Collateral in was named Max too. Similar looking to Max Dillon.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #98
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Some thoughts on Electro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmLCAY-zYUs

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #99
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Lol, his character in Collateral in was named Max too. Similar looking to Max Dillon.

This would have been a great look for Max Dillon. Instead, they had to go over the top into caricature territory.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #100
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I like it not caricature at all to me.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote