The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
MANOFSTEELtrilogy
Side-Kick

Arrow Is Batman justified when he refuses to kill? Do you wish he was more like Superman?

Generally I don't mind either way, as I'm not a Batman fan. But do some of you who like Batman feel a bit 'robbed' when you see Batman wuss-out? The only time Batman's lack of menace might bother me is if he waves the finger at Superman.

There is a difference between justice and the law obviously. And I think Batman puts the law above justice, while Superman is wise enough to see justice and not be blinded by the law. Then again, Batman didn't receive guidance from Jor-El and merely thinks like a human (not a mistake, just a limitation).

Maybe in the next film we will see Superman enlighten Batman and educate him on the limitations of the law and the need for real justice.

MANOFSTEELtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Default Re: Is Batman justified when he refuses to kill? Do you wish he was more like Superma

Are you trolling?

You watched MOS right? What makes you think Supes is going to choose to kill again after his reaction to killing Zod?

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Batman justified when he refuses to kill? Do you wish he was more like Superma

Batman doesn't really care about the law. If he did, he wouldn't be Batman.

INTERNAL laws, however

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Neither heroes should be killing. Having said that, only one modern Batman has not killed, and that is Clooney, however, in that series, he began as a mass murderer.

This is clearly supposed to be some kind of trolling Superman vs Batman thread, and in that spirit:

5/10, made me respond.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Man of Steel
Superman

I still don't think that it was Superman who killed Zod, and anyways, no hero should kill. Ever.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Except in real life

Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOFSTEELtrilogy View Post
Generally I don't mind either way, as I'm not a Batman fan. But do some of you who like Batman feel a bit 'robbed' when you see Batman wuss-out? The only time Batman's lack of menace might bother me is if he waves the finger at Superman.

There is a difference between justice and the law obviously. And I think Batman puts the law above justice, while Superman is wise enough to see justice and not be blinded by the law. Then again, Batman didn't receive guidance from Jor-El and merely thinks like a human (not a mistake, just a limitation).

Maybe in the next film we will see Superman enlighten Batman and educate him on the limitations of the law and the need for real justice.
So much wrong in this post.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

It wasn't Superman who killed Zod. I think that much is clear. He's not a manchild who hid from his true calling because Daddy Dearest MkII hornswaggled him into it.

'You need to hide, Clark'.

'Why?'

'Well because I said so and because people are xenophobes'.

'Nope, don't buy it'.

'Fine, I'll just let this tornado kill me'.

'Okay, you've convinced me'.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
StraightSix
Side-Kick

SHH poster Shikamaru posted this in another thread. All that needs to be said imo. Great post by him.

The claim that "Batman not killing is BS" is BS in-and-of-itself. Out of all the superheroes in comics, the no-kill rule is more important to Batman than any other superhero and it forms who he is as a person more than any other superhero. This includes even Superman.

The vast majority of other superheroes don't kill simply because they're superheroes and killing is bad...because they're superheroes. It doesn't work that way for Batman. The reason for why he does not kill and does not use guns is engrained into his character. These two things have molded him and his mythos in a way that they haven't molded any other character and his mythos.

There are so many reasons for why this is the case that requires me to get into the entire essence and philosophy behind Batman and his mythos but I'll keep it simple: Notice how often the no-kill theme plays a roll in Batman stories. In most other superhero stories, it is there but is more concealed and only comes out once in a while throughout their stories. In Batman stories, the theme is constantly there and is in many ways the very core of many stories. Also notice how much controversy and disgust a lot of people have for Batman not killing the Joker. Some people have even said that they can't stand Batman altogether because of that. When you think about it, shouldn't they feel this way about most superheroes since it is a known fact that most superheroes don't kill? Yet barely anyone critiques Superman and Spider-Man for not killing Lex and the Green Goblin respectively, who are both far more dangerous than Joker in the first place. Batman gets so much more criticism in comparison to them for simply not killing a street-level psychopath. This is because, as I said (and I hate to say this since I really like both Spidey and Supes), there is no other superhero whose no-kill rule is as attached to the core of their being as it is to Batman.

When you make it ok for Batman to kill, you not only change him but you change his entire world. You completely alter the Batman/Joker dynamic. The Batman/Ra's dynamic. The Batman/Gordon dynamic. His friendship with Superman. The entire message behind vigilantism that comes with Batman. Robin's entire purpose for existing is gone. Everything about Batman as we know him and his world as we know it would completely change, and I don't think people realize this.

If you do not like the idea of Batman's no-kill rule being so attached to him, Batman is not a character that's meant for you in the same way how the Punisher is not a character aimed at people who don't like the idea of superheroes killing. I am not trying to offend anyone for saying this, but it is essentially true and there is nothing wrong with that. There is no comic book character that can be targeted and loved by everyone. That's not to say that you can't be bothered once in a while or have disturbing thoughts here and there about Batman's decision to spare the Joker (we all have those sometimes, even the hardcore fans) but if it constantly disturbs you to the point that it affects your overall enjoyment of Batman content and your overall opinion of Batman, then Batman is not a character designed to appeal to you personally.

As a side note, I find it very interesting how much criticism Batman gets for his methods from a political point of view. It seems that left-wings always critique him for having methods that are too extreme while right-wings critique him more for not having methods extreme enough.

Also, the claim that Batman is sparing the Joker for selfish reasons is not really true. In a way, he is keeping Gotham and the whole world more safe. That may sound ridiculous, but allow me to explain.

Psychologically speaking, Batman is a monster in human form. Bruce Wayne has intentionally transformed himself into such a larger-than-life creature. As Dennis O'Neil and Frank Miller once said, the interesting thing about Batman is that he is a monster but is on the good side. This same creature that is currently on our side walks on the edge of insanity every night. The only thing keeping him away from crossing that line - a line very thin when it comes to someone like Batman - is his no-kill rule. From the moment he breaks that rule, he has crossed that line. If he justifies one murder, he will be able to do it again.

That is where the issue with Batman killing arises. Batman is no cop. If a cop was to murder someone, he would still be bound by the laws of the legal system that would prevent him from crossing that line. And even if the cop did cross that line, it would barely have any effect because cop are just ordinary people with limits.

On the other hand, Batman does not have those luxuries. He answers to no one and is a larger-than-life creature not bound by human limits. Think about what it would mean if someone like Batman went around killing people. He is the world's greatest detective. Arguably the world's greatest tactician. Arguably the most obsessed and most motivated superhero in the DC universe to get the job done. Has prepared contingency plans to take down any member of the JLA if they were to go rogue. Is this really someone you would want to go around deciding who gets to live and who gets to die? Imagine the danger that would come from that. There would be very little people could do to stop Batman in that situation.

On top of that, it is not Batman's job to kill the Joker in the first place. He set out to stop crimes from happening. Once he stopped the crime at hand, he lets the (honest) police take care of the rest. It is entirely up to the Gotham City Hall what happens from that point on and whether or not the Joker gets to live. And if the Joker got the death penalty tomorrow, Batman would have no problem with it (yes, I know there is a story where the Joker got the death penalty and Batman intervened but I found it to be very out of character).

StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Sun_Down
Groovy

I hope Bats gives Supes endless grief about killing Zod, making Supes vow to never kill...then Batman kills like 40 people.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post

This is clearly supposed to be some kind of trolling Superman vs Batman thread, and in that spirit:

5/10, made me respond.
This is glorious

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:

Um, my guess is that Batman will "educate" Superman in that killing is a no-no. Because honestly Superman is not a killer. Snyder went for a profound ending by having him break his rule at the end of MOS, but that was bad/lazy writing because the rule was never established to begin with. If you want to see that ending done right, watch TDK where Batman has to kill a friend he once admired (Harvey Dent) to save a child of another friend, while he lets something as repugnant as the Joker live.

Now there is a moral quagmire. Snyder's Superman killed someone because Snyder is infatuated with physical violence. It is the same reason for his speed ramping in 300 and the added gore and severed limbs and bone-through-skin injuries put into Watchmen.

So, I am sure they will both kill the joint villain at the end of the movie.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
A&W
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Batman doesn't really care about the law. If he did, he wouldn't be Batman.

INTERNAL laws, however
Exactly. I dont see Batman waiving a warrant around before breaking and entering peoples houses. And what about all the assaults he has committedover the years. There is a reason Batman never became a cop. He is above the law. Superman does not consider himself above the law.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
storyteller
Side-Kick

Batman in the Burton films actively kills people. He creates situations where people will die.
Batman intentionally kills the joker, he could have let him go and caught him later.
Nolans Batman for the most part does not. But like Superman in Man of Steel, there comes a point where a choice needs to be made. He killed Dent but because it was the only way to save the boy and if he could have saved Dent he would have.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Burton's Batman straps dynamite to a thug. Surely he could have found another way to handle this guy, but nope, lets strap dynamite to him and blow him up and then smirk about it. But it's ok, the thug's death came off screen.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

That is beautiful.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't think Batman really needs to kill. Sort of the advantage of dealing with mortal enemies, you can knock out. Superman didn't really have a choice with Zod.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I wouldn't be surprised if this new Batman has killed plenty of people.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #19
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Yes he is justified, but to be completely honest, I wish Batman was more like the Punisher at times.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #20
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

EDIT: I copied and pasted a rant I wrote on a previous thread here only to notice that someone has already done it first.

Thank you, StraightDix.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 08-04-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
D.P.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
SHH poster Shikamaru posted this in another thread. All that needs to be said imo. Great post by him.

The claim that "Batman not killing is BS" is BS in-and-of-itself. Out of all the superheroes in comics, the no-kill rule is more important to Batman than any other superhero and it forms who he is as a person more than any other superhero. This includes even Superman.

The vast majority of other superheroes don't kill simply because they're superheroes and killing is bad...because they're superheroes. It doesn't work that way for Batman. The reason for why he does not kill and does not use guns is engrained into his character. These two things have molded him and his mythos in a way that they haven't molded any other character and his mythos.

There are so many reasons for why this is the case that requires me to get into the entire essence and philosophy behind Batman and his mythos but I'll keep it simple: Notice how often the no-kill theme plays a roll in Batman stories. In most other superhero stories, it is there but is more concealed and only comes out once in a while throughout their stories. In Batman stories, the theme is constantly there and is in many ways the very core of many stories. Also notice how much controversy and disgust a lot of people have for Batman not killing the Joker. Some people have even said that they can't stand Batman altogether because of that. When you think about it, shouldn't they feel this way about most superheroes since it is a known fact that most superheroes don't kill? Yet barely anyone critiques Superman and Spider-Man for not killing Lex and the Green Goblin respectively, who are both far more dangerous than Joker in the first place. Batman gets so much more criticism in comparison to them for simply not killing a street-level psychopath. This is because, as I said (and I hate to say this since I really like both Spidey and Supes), there is no other superhero whose no-kill rule is as attached to the core of their being as it is to Batman.

When you make it ok for Batman to kill, you not only change him but you change his entire world. You completely alter the Batman/Joker dynamic. The Batman/Ra's dynamic. The Batman/Gordon dynamic. His friendship with Superman. The entire message behind vigilantism that comes with Batman. Robin's entire purpose for existing is gone. Everything about Batman as we know him and his world as we know it would completely change, and I don't think people realize this.

If you do not like the idea of Batman's no-kill rule being so attached to him, Batman is not a character that's meant for you in the same way how the Punisher is not a character aimed at people who don't like the idea of superheroes killing. I am not trying to offend anyone for saying this, but it is essentially true and there is nothing wrong with that. There is no comic book character that can be targeted and loved by everyone. That's not to say that you can't be bothered once in a while or have disturbing thoughts here and there about Batman's decision to spare the Joker (we all have those sometimes, even the hardcore fans) but if it constantly disturbs you to the point that it affects your overall enjoyment of Batman content and your overall opinion of Batman, then Batman is not a character designed to appeal to you personally.

As a side note, I find it very interesting how much criticism Batman gets for his methods from a political point of view. It seems that left-wings always critique him for having methods that are too extreme while right-wings critique him more for not having methods extreme enough.

Also, the claim that Batman is sparing the Joker for selfish reasons is not really true. In a way, he is keeping Gotham and the whole world more safe. That may sound ridiculous, but allow me to explain.

Psychologically speaking, Batman is a monster in human form. Bruce Wayne has intentionally transformed himself into such a larger-than-life creature. As Dennis O'Neil and Frank Miller once said, the interesting thing about Batman is that he is a monster but is on the good side. This same creature that is currently on our side walks on the edge of insanity every night. The only thing keeping him away from crossing that line - a line very thin when it comes to someone like Batman - is his no-kill rule. From the moment he breaks that rule, he has crossed that line. If he justifies one murder, he will be able to do it again.

That is where the issue with Batman killing arises. Batman is no cop. If a cop was to murder someone, he would still be bound by the laws of the legal system that would prevent him from crossing that line. And even if the cop did cross that line, it would barely have any effect because cop are just ordinary people with limits.

On the other hand, Batman does not have those luxuries. He answers to no one and is a larger-than-life creature not bound by human limits. Think about what it would mean if someone like Batman went around killing people. He is the world's greatest detective. Arguably the world's greatest tactician. Arguably the most obsessed and most motivated superhero in the DC universe to get the job done. Has prepared contingency plans to take down any member of the JLA if they were to go rogue. Is this really someone you would want to go around deciding who gets to live and who gets to die? Imagine the danger that would come from that. There would be very little people could do to stop Batman in that situation.

On top of that, it is not Batman's job to kill the Joker in the first place. He set out to stop crimes from happening. Once he stopped the crime at hand, he lets the (honest) police take care of the rest. It is entirely up to the Gotham City Hall what happens from that point on and whether or not the Joker gets to live. And if the Joker got the death penalty tomorrow, Batman would have no problem with it (yes, I know there is a story where the Joker got the death penalty and Batman intervened but I found it to be very out of character).
I was going to paste this as well. Definitely all that needs to be said. I feel there are more Superman fanboys than Batman here. Also a mixture of outright Batman haters or people who are ignorant of the character.

I read someone refer to Batman as a "cancer" of the DC cinematic universe.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #22
Man of Steel
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ Except in real life
Yes, except in real life. But there, they honestly don't have a choice. When Superman, Batman or any other fictional character does it, that's just bad writing.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
Klidokrator
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
I read someone refer to Batman as a "cancer" of the DC cinematic universe.
How the most easily adaptable hero of comics is the "cancer" of DCCU is beyond me...

Old 08-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:

I don't think Batman needs "justification" for his decisions. He has set a standard for himself, and lives by it. Case closed.

I also don't think he's "wussing out". I think it takes far more skill and restraint to operate as he does, as opposed to going for the quick solution. Batman is not liscensed to kill, regardless.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
Yes, except in real life. But there, they honestly don't have a choice. When Superman, Batman or any other fictional character does it, that's just bad writing.
Because in good, accurate writing, there is always a choice.

Last edited by Marvin; 08-04-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote