The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
bes628
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Batman justified when he refuses to kill? Do you wish he was more like Superma

Batman really at most would be justified in killing of the Joker, but even then the Joker is at least containable as opposed to Zod.

Just my POV.

bes628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: Is Batman justified when he refuses to kill? Do you wish he was more like Superma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Um, my guess is that Batman will "educate" Superman in that killing is a no-no. Because honestly Superman is not a killer. Snyder went for a profound ending by having him break his rule at the end of MOS, but that was bad/lazy writing because the rule was never established to begin with. If you want to see that ending done right, watch TDK where Batman has to kill a friend he once admired (Harvey Dent) to save a child of another friend, while he lets something as repugnant as the Joker live.

Now there is a moral quagmire. Snyder's Superman killed someone because Snyder is infatuated with physical violence. It is the same reason for his speed ramping in 300 and the added gore and severed limbs and bone-through-skin injuries put into Watchmen.

So, I am sure they will both kill the joint villain at the end of the movie.
But the rule is now established. As the above quoted post by Shikamaru points out, Batman doesn't kill for a reason while most others don't kill because they are good guys. MOS has now created a motivation behind why Superman does not kill.

And I would not consider the writing to be lazy. If it were, they wouldn't have debated about the decision and would have no understanding of the ramifications that come with Superman commuting such an act, which is simply not true. People can not like the choice but it was a brave choice because of the controversy and conversations it has started. There's nothing lazy about that.

Also, I don't think Superman needs anymore education on the subject because he now knows that killing is not the way. If anything, and big if at that, Superman is in more of a position to teach Batman because Bats is pushed to that brink more often and Superman has been there and done that. Obviously, that contradicts what I said above a little bit hence why I said it is a big "if." It wouldn't be the route I would go but I wouldn't be bothered by it.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Marvin
Side-Kick

If this was most any other heroic origin most people might see this decision for legitimate establishment for an aversion to killing as credible.

With superman, it appears it's not so good.
Again, I'll say it, just about all other cbm heroes killed their enemies this summer, I'm glad this isn't being swept under the rug.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #29
Krumm
Beer Snob

How do you find it not a legitimate basis for a "no-killing" rule?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
How do you find it not a legitimate basis for a "no-killing" rule?
That's just it, I do.
I'm also curious why others don't seem too. Outside of the idea that it's just not part of the what they see as the 80 year tradition.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

The funny thing is super heroes have been killing villains in the films for decades, Superman in Superman II and III, Batman on '89, Returns, Forever, Spider-Man in Spider-Man's 1, 2 and 3 (well sort of), and so on.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That's just it, I do.
I'm also curious why others don't seem too. Outside of the idea that it's just not part of the what they see as the 80 year tradition.
Gotcha, I was misreading it and I agree.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #33
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
The funny thing is super heroes have been killing villains in the films for decades, Superman in Superman II and III, Batman on '89, Returns, Forever, Spider-Man in Spider-Man's 1, 2 and 3 (well sort of), and so on.
Spider-Man didn't kill GG. He just dodged him.

He didn't QUITE kill the person who murdered Uncle Ben. He just didn't bother to save him as he backed off of the building.

PS. Supes totally killed Nuclear Man in 4.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Spider-Man didn't kill GG. He just dodged him.

He didn't QUITE kill the person who murdered Uncle Ben. He just didn't bother to save him as he backed off of the building.

PS. Supes totally killed Nuclear Man in 4.
Yeah I was on about the guy who "killed" his Uncle Ben. It's the same situation as Batman with Ra's.

Oh yeah I knew about Nuclear Man, I just have several examples

Old 08-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #35
The Guard
Side-Kick

Personally, I see Batman not killing and his cherishing of all life as his most beautiful and powerful character element.

But I also see it as his biggest character/heroic flaw.

Is he justified? There are two sides to that argument.

Let's face it, while Batman is not responsible for the actions of his supervillains or evil men, if he killed them, he could prevent a catastrophic loss of innocent life. THE DARK KNIGHT sort of got to this point, but I still don't think that any movie has quite captured the crux of the issue. I don't think Chris Nolan quite understood why Batman doesn't kill, beyond the basic moral issue, and the idea that "It seperates us from them". He certainly didn't explore it very well after THE DARK KNIGHT, and it was sort of forgotten about when he finally did kill (Dent, the events in TDKR), which is a shame.

Batman, in my mind, doesn't kill because it's become a complex of sorts for him. Almost a meta-commentary on the character's portrayal over the years, and the inherent flaws within. The modern portrayal of Batman has a sort of psychological inability to kill, in the end. And I don't know that he realizes this, because at the same time, he also recognizes how easy it would be for him to do so, logically speaking, and holds the belief that it's a slippery slope, and fears becoming like those he fights. It's another type of duality within the character, and I love it. At least that's the take I prefer. It encompasses pretty much all his thoughts on killing over the decades.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #36
Marvin
Side-Kick

There's an argument to be made that Spiderman did Kill GG actually.

Especially given all the talk of good vs bad writing around these parts. That spider sense is a hell of a plot device if you catch my drift.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #37
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
There's an argument to be made that Spiderman did Kill GG actually.

Especially given all the talk of good vs bad writing around these parts. That spider sense is a hell of a plot device if you catch my drift.
Yeah good point

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #38
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #39
Marvin
Side-Kick

I'll raise you

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Pay particular attention to superman's intent here.

Moreover, the debate rages as to what exactly was Batman's motivation in pulling superman out. Bruce Tim is sort of the man around forums, so I'm sure it was something swell.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #40
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I didn't like that line and I didn't like they way Superman acted in that episode in general anyway.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #41
MANOFSTEELtrilogy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Are you trolling?

You watched MOS right? What makes you think Supes is going to choose to kill again after his reaction to killing Zod?
Superman isn't stupid enough to let Zod live and watch the world be destroyed. He knows killing is the only option when faced with a threat like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Um, my guess is that Batman will "educate" Superman in that killing is a no-no.
Is Batman really stupid enough to rather let Zod live and watch the world be destroyed? And its not like Batman can tie Zod up in his little ropes and wait for the little police to arrive. Superman needs to educate Batman if Batman is under the impression than the law can save the world....

MANOFSTEELtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #42
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Honestly, if Batman had been in the same situation that Superman was in MOS, with no way out, he would have done the same. The only difference is that we wouldn't have as nearly as much people complaining about it? How do I know? The fact that not many complained about how Batman killed a truck driver during the final chase in TDKR.

People defend that by saying that given the situation, he had no choice, well it was the same thing for Superman in MOS and yet the red caped hero gets more trouble about it.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Tbh I always thought to me that the no kill rule was more a Superman thing than a Batman thing so I couldn't give a **** if Batman killed people. Superman though is another story BUT in MOS he had no choice whatsoever and I loved it in that.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #44
Lord
All Mighty

It's a sad day when a thread is made about how Batman would never kill but Superman would

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #45
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
It's a sad day when a thread is made about how Batman would never kill but Superman would
This. Just this.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #46
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Well tbh this thread is stupid for that anyway cause on film Batman's killed many times, much more than Superman has. Yes Supnan dud kill Zod on MOS, and people mon about it yet give no other way that Superman could have stopped Zod because there wasn't one.

At the same time I think people need to differentiate in their minds stuff like this when it comes to movies. These are not adaptations of the comics we read, they're inspired by them so they are going to make changes from time to time. When you have a series of comic based films sometimes you have to figure out ways to end the story, and sometimes killing the villain makes the most sense for the story. These movies are not made directly for us, we don't make these films millions/billions of dollas the GA does and not one person I know who isn't a comic fan is bothered when the hero kills. I'm not saying I want to see my heroes kill but if its necessary like it was in MOS them I'm all for it but just remember these are films not comic books.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #47
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only sad thing about is that Batman has killed in all three of his films and we are having this debate now. It's even sadder that we've already been given our answer to the superman question on several different occasions thought his book and cinematic cannon.
Sad is the only way to describe it.

More over.
Problem is we don't often see these particular heroes put into the situation, not truly.

What would batman do if he was strapped to a chair and given to buttons. One destroys the world, the other kills the joker....and for once their isn't a way out. People are avoiding the debate of what batman would do.

We know what superman would do, we also know what superman would do when given a way out. What would batman do, anyone that thinks Bruce would let the world blow up is perhaps beyond reasoning with on this issue.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #48
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
In a way. But in another way, it shows that Superman cares more for humanity than his personal feelings. Doomsday/Zod in MOS had the capability of wiping out mankind as we know it, and needed to be stopped.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #49
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
The only sad thing about is that Batman has killed in all three of his films and we are having this debate now. It's even sadder that we've already been given our answer to the superman question on several different occasions thought his book and cinematic cannon.
Sad is the only way to describe it.

More over.
Problem is we don't often see these particular heroes put into the situation, not truly.

What would batman do if he was strapped to a chair and given to buttons. One destroys the world, the other kills the joker....and for once their isn't a way out. People are avoiding the debate of what batman would do.

We know what superman would do, we also know what superman would do when given a way out. What would batman do, anyone that thinks Bruce would let the world blow up is perhaps beyond reasoning with on this issue.

You know people's bigger argument against Superman killing Zod was he shouldn't have been out in that situation. Which I always thought was laughable, if they're doing a realistic take on Superheroes then it makes sense they'd be out into that type of situation at least once.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #50
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I didn't like that line and I didn't like they way Superman acted in that episode in general anyway.
Of course you don't. However that doesn't mean it's not in Tim's characterization. It begins to beg the question of:
If you like the character as he has been written over the years vs If you like the character as you see him.

That's Bruce Tim's superman, period. He has his good moments and his bad, as most heroes do.