The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,826
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Making Stryker a Mutant would be great. He openly hates Mutants and tries to supress them. It'd be a metaphor for hating a part of himself. Like a self hating Jew

Plus his son is a mutant and the X-Gene is hereditery right?
The X gene comes from the male, according to X2.

But, it's all a crap shoot, two humans can have a mutant, and two mutants can have a human. That was the case with Sabretooth and Mystique's Graydon Creed, who was human.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

About the TMI accident: The automatic assumption seems to have been that Logan's fight with Deadpool is meant to have depicted the 'true' cause of the accident, but I'm inclined to believe the dates of 1975 (Vietnam prologue)/1981 as given by the Wikipedia article for the film's events because it makes the overall timeline much more organic.

Since we know we're going to see Logan during what would have been his service in Vietnam in DoFP, I'm expecting the movie to give us a concrete answer one way or the other regarding the placement of O:W, even if it's done retroactively.

Edit: Real-world data, although not universally believed by everyone, suggests that there were very little adverse health effects caused by the TMI accident, so it would have been very possible for him and his associates to have set up their base on the island in the years following it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry

Last edited by DigificWriter; 08-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Mars123
Side-Kick
 
Mars123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bath, England
Posts: 838
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

@digificwriter I really like you dates..... Plus I agree, it's much easier to recon the 15 years ago comments from xavier as its merely said and not shown its easier to forget hence the retcon it be harder to retcon the TMI INcident in O:W

Mars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

^ The dates I cited aren't 'mine', but thanks for the comment anyway.

At any rate, DoFP should tell us something definitive about the X-Franchise's chronology and continuity one way or the other, much like the Hyrule Historia did with the chronology of The Legend of Zelda.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,326
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

But Us Involvement In vietnam ended In 1973 and speculation Is the paris peace accords are part of plot of DOFP.The recruitment and mission In africa can't happen In 1975.Wolverine has to leave team X by early 1973 to fit In with DOFP.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #31
Mars123
Side-Kick
 
Mars123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bath, England
Posts: 838
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Isn't wolverines mind transported back to his former consciousness in the 70s? Then he would need to be in the USA?

200 posts already?? Geez....

Mars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #32
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

@marvelrobbins: Like I said, DoFP should tell us a lot when it comes to the chronology. Until then, though, I'm still inclined to believe in the 1975/1981 placement for O:W even if it doesn't line up with real-world events.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,670
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Wolverine leaves Team X in 1973, he is next seen in 1979 (bad in the TMI incident) so he has 5 years to be back in the US before returning to Canada and meeting Kayla.

DOFP will change his timeline at the very least, from 1973 on.

Whats interesting is that if the timeline is changed for Logan he won't go through the adamantium bonding process

CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Wolverine leaves Team X in 1973, he is next seen in 1979
That's ONE possibility, but isn't yet set in stone.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #35
Mars123
Side-Kick
 
Mars123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bath, England
Posts: 838
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Unless, he gets on a plane....lol

Mars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #36
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
DOFP will change his timeline at the very least, from 1973 on.
You can't say that like it's a fact because we don't know anything about how DoFP is going to play itself out.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #37
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,826
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Wolverine leaves Team X in 1973, he is next seen in 1979 (bad in the TMI incident) so he has 5 years to be back in the US before returning to Canada and meeting Kayla.

DOFP will change his timeline at the very least, from 1973 on.

Whats interesting is that if the timeline is changed for Logan he won't go through the adamantium bonding process
That would be one way of wiping XMO out of continuity.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,670
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
You can't say that like it's a fact because we don't know anything about how DoFP is going to play itself out.
Well with time-travel people go off on a different tangent than they were naturally on. Either way it will change Logan as instead of doing whatever he did do between '73 & '79 he'll be doing what he does in DOFP which will be different

CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #39
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

^ I really wish people would drop this notion of dropping entire swaths of events from the franchise's continuity.

Everything we currently know suggests rather strongly that everything that is currently in continuity will still be in continuity by the end of DoFP, but certain things might be changed so that they played out slightly differently than we saw them originally play out.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,670
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

I think events will change from the movies we know but they won't be retconned, what could happen is they become and alternate timeline, they exist and happened but the future movies exist in an alternate timeline where they happened differently

CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #41
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,826
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

I'm fairly certain XMO is getting cut out, I mean look at Stryker. The actor they got is like 40 years younger than Danny Huston.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
Mars123
Side-Kick
 
Mars123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bath, England
Posts: 838
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

I think singer will be respectful to all films even if he tweaks or adapts parts to change the outcome.

I agree you can't get rid of certain parts of the films..... Where as the odd line like the 15 years stuff

Mars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #43
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I'm fairly certain XMO is getting cut out, I mean look at Stryker. The actor they got is like 40 years younger than Danny Huston.
Helman is 27, Huston was 46 when he played Stryker in O:W... but, as I've already said once, actor ages mean NOTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Well with time-travel people go off on a different tangent than they were naturally on. Either way it will change Logan as instead of doing whatever he did do between '73 & '79 he'll be doing what he does in DOFP which will be different
We don't know what Logan did between the time he left Team X and the bulk of the events of O:W, so we can't say that the time travel is going to change things for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
I think events will change from the movies we know but they won't be retconned, what could happen is they become and alternate timeline, they exist and happened but the future movies exist in an alternate timeline where they happened differently
Singer has said he's keeping the existing continuity, but still changing some things. You cannot keep parts of the existing continuity by creating an alternate timeline because said timeline will not HAVE any continuity.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #44
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,826
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Helman is 27, Huston was 46 when he played Stryker in O:W... but, as I've already said once, actor ages mean NOTHING.
I meant 20, but come on, he's going from an older gray haired man in one movie, to a visibly younger one in this one. Somethings rotten in Denver.


Last edited by S. Grundy; 08-05-2013 at 04:38 AM.
S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #45
BMM
Side-Kick
 
BMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,388
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

I've said this before, but technically Danny Huston was too old to play William Stryker in X-Men Origins. 27 year old Josh Helman, on the other hand, better approximates Brian Cox's younger age, as Cox was 27 in 1973.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #46
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I meant 20, but come on, he's going from an older gray haired man in one movie, to a visibly younger one in this one. Somethings rotten in Denver.
Huston looked like he could've been in his middle 30s in O:W, at least to me.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry

Last edited by DigificWriter; 08-05-2013 at 08:55 AM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #47
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 422
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post
^ What makes you say Origins takes place in either 1979 or 1981? The Three Mile Island accident? In that case, what makes you say 1981? In X1, Xavier said that it had been nearly 15 years since Logan had lost his memory, and in X2 this point was reiterated by Stryker when he said he hadn't seen Logan in 15 years.

So, wouldn't it make more sense to assume that Origins took place in 1988?
In X-men Origins Wolverine got adamantium 15 years ago X1

Where can we see that the operation took place in 1979

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #48
Arawn Fenn
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 67
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Singer has said he's keeping the existing continuity, but still changing some things. You cannot keep parts of the existing continuity by creating an alternate timeline because said timeline will not HAVE any continuity.
If you create an alternate timeline branching off from the timeline of the "existing continuity", this still maintains the existing continuity in its original timeline. It's the same thing that happened in Star Trek. Even if you use the single-timeline model and thus instead of an alternate timeline you have changes to "the" timeline, the existing continuity isn't being ignored in any way, it's just the stuff that happened before the timeline was changed.

Arawn Fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #49
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

The more I think about what Singer has said concerning it, the more I'm starting to think that DoFP will end up being the X-Franchise's 'Ultimatum'/'Flashpoint' (i.e. an event that 'shuffles' things but doesn't entirely erase what had happened previously), and am convinced that the majority of the current continuity of the franchise will be maintained in some form, even if some details of the current continuity have been changed as a result of the time travel in the film.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #50
marvelanddcfan
Side-Kick
 
marvelanddcfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 629
Default Re: X-MEN Movie-Verse Timeline

I honestly think DoTFP is gonna retcon ALOT, because many things don't make sense. For instance, how was Charles xavier bald with complete use of his legs at the end of Origins, if he lost use of his legs at the end of first class, when he still had hair decades earlier? How are there two Emma frosts? How were Eric and Charles friends when they found Jean, after the events of first class? How is Havok older than cyclops?? A lot doesn't make sense, the mess ups are endless. Time travel needs to be involved in the new movie, to hopefully fix the mess.

I really hope DotFP will be altering the timeline somehow, otherwise the xmen films are just doomed.

marvelanddcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.