3/6 15 19.74%
2/6 2 2.63%
1/6 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #51
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men movie franchise overall ranking

X1 - After many years, this one is actually my favorite because oh how it establishes the world. Bryan fought such an uphill battle with the low budget and skeptical studio. I love how he took the time to carefully give each character a good introduction. Like how Cyclops and Storm were seen from the distance first to build up the anticipation, Mystique's brilliant transformation in the helicopter, and Xavier and Magneto meeting at the debate. Yes, the movie looks dated now, but that's not totally the movie's fault.

X2 - My second favorite. It made the world bigger and dialed the characters up a good notch. The mutants were finally starting to become larger than life. However, I wasn't a big fan of the story that was created. This is the reason it falls behind X1 for me.

X3 - Not good. I was so sad sitting there in the theater because when there was about 20 minutes left, I truly just wanted it to be over. I was grinding my teeth at how bad it turned out. There are some good ideas and good scenes. I actually liked a lot of the Jean vs. Xavier scene (particularly the musical score). And the idea of Hank being personally affected by the possibility of the cure was great but ultimately left unexplored. I didn't even mind Xavier being killed off, but so much of the story was just dumb dumb DUMB.

Origins - Awful. Only watched it once. Ruined Gambit for the franchise. Almost ruined Emma. Shouldn't have included the Cyclops story. will.i.am?? At least we got to see Hugh partially naked and wet.

First Class - Beautifully shot. The best looking X-Men movie so far. Good sets, location shoots, costuming, and other details. It was polished (except for the rushed final act). Except for some cheese, the story was solid as well. However, it shouldn't have included throwaway subplots like Angel and Darwin. Also, it ultimately turned kind of problematic in a storytelling sense so I'm glad that the "First Class of X-Men" is being (hopefully) written away as just an "experiment" that Charles and Erik conducted. But I'm forever thankful for Fassy.

The Wolverine - Solid solid movie. It doesn't impact the world of X too much, but it was a nice story. The Japanese cast were awesome and kudos to the newcomers. I liked that the movie took itself seriously but the last 30 minutes were a bit... hard to watch. But again, always a pleasure to ogle Hugh!

Last edited by josh8; 08-05-2013 at 03:52 AM.
josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #52
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

X1 - Good, but tough for me to watch. The X-men were so limited in their abilities. You have a guy who can launch nuclear powered beams by looking at you, a telepath/psychic, a Weather Goddess and a trained, indestructible trained assassin. Just felt like they were very cheap on the action..
X2 - Pretty Good. Still felt that Cyke, Storm and Jean were severly underpowered.
X3 - awful
Origins - awful
First Class - incredible
The Wolverine - Good

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
Lord
All Mighty

X-3 isn't exactly bad but very medíocre, Origins Wolverine is the only one i trully consider bad, that film was really terrible, both as an adaptation, as a prequel and as a movie itself.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #54
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

To be honest, while I hold X2 as the best of the series, that isn't really saying much. I don't think that any of the films are really that good. Enjoyable, re-watchable? Sure, but no where near what I was ever expecting or hoping an X-Men film to be. A lot of cheesy moments and bad dialogue, missed opportunities, horrible/no character development, etc. I wouldn't rate any of them past a 7/10.

If I had to rank them:

X-Men: United
X-Men: First Class
X-Men
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Haven't seen The Wolverine yet.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #55
Loki882
Side-Kick

Steyin, what exactly do you expect in an X-Men film anyway, I'm curious? Four of these movies seem like perfectly valid, if somewhat different, takes on the material to me. Ciscostudent, the reason why the powers were limited in X1 was because Fox wasn't sure that the movie would sell and so they gave Singer a pretty small budget given the powers involved.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #56
Mystique's Leg
Side-Kick

I'd rank the movies this way:

1. First Class: aside from all the liberties it took, it remains my favorite. I like its colorful energy, the outstanding performances (I even like Emma Frost), the music, the setting and, though it still is a popcorn-blockbuster, there are some really beautiful thoughtful moments.
2. X2: Nightcrawler in the White House! Plastic prison! X-mansion attack! Mystique's infiltration! Phoenix' sacrifice! And above all, not the overtly cliché action scenes seen in many films.
3. X-men/The Wolverine: I can't prefer one above the other. The first was the beginning of it all and was pretty dark. What I like about the Wolverine is that the movie takes its time for everything to unfold, especially how Wolverine mourns about Jean Grey (the last scene between them is very sad and rather depressing IMHO). The movie is a solid, though not a big succes, but I hope Fox will follow this route of making these movies. They shouldn't aim for mind-numbing action like in Man of Steel.
4. The Last Stand: Amazing score! Decent action! Beast! A proper Kitty! The cure is an interesting plot. That's about it. I don't like the many characters that just stand there without saying anything, especially Colossus and Arclight. It just doesn't feel like how people behave in real life.
5. X-men Origins: Wolverine: meh.

Mystique's Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #57
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Steyin, what exactly do you expect in an X-Men film anyway, I'm curious?
I think the major issues for me stem from the casting and characterizations. I felt them lacking so much from what I was used to. Add in the fact that the films essentially become Wolverine films with little focus on the others (in my eyes at least), and mistreated\underwhelming themes. Sure the whole catalyst of mutants are a threat is there, but by the time we see it in mass (a la X3), it seems a bit late and underwhelming, like it should have had major repercussions earlier on. I just felt that even the animated series was more mature and handled things better than the films ever did. In the end there is a lot left to be desired.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #58
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
My honest ranking of the movies thus far

X-2: X-Men United - Awesomely amazing
X-Men: First Class - Awesome
X-Men - Great
The Wolverine - Surprisingly decent
X-Men: The Last Stand - Huge disappointment
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Horrible
That's pretty much how I would rank them as well. I would change The Wolverine from being decent to good though.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #59
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
X1 - Good
X2 - Good
X3 - Bad
Origins - Bad
First Class - Good
The Wolverine - Good
Ditto!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #60
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

X2-Excellent
The Wolverine-Very good
X-Men first Class-good
X-Men-Good
X-Men origins:Wolverine-Bad
X-Men the last Stand-Very Bad

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #61
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Good poll result. 66% good flicks

CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #62
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
To be honest, while I hold X2 as the best of the series, that isn't really saying much. I don't think that any of the films are really that good. no where near what I was ever expecting or hoping an X-Men film to be.
Those are my sentiments. Except I haven't seen them all only the trilogy. Walked out of the first massively disappointed. Didn't see X2 at all until my dad showed it to me on DVD because he liked it a lot. Thought it was decent. Saw TLS for free at the cinema and walked out as disappointed as I did when I saw the very mediocre first movie and this time I hadn't even paid for it. So I've just written the franchise off entirely. Patiently waiting on the inevitable reboot in a couple of decades.

As a life long X-Men comic fan it kinda breaks my heart that none of these movies have ever connected with me at all since they're the only ones we got but it is what it is.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #63
BoredGuy
Killing Time

first was good, second was amazing, third was disappointing, origins sucked ass, first class was OK, and the wolverine was pretty good

still waiting for them to hit x2 levels again, hoping DOFP will be the one

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #64
Loki882
Side-Kick

X2 was much more of a last stand than X3, all mutants were facing extinction if Stryker won. In X3, Magneto wanted to kill some kid and had no interest in going after the X-Men, much lower stakes. Heck, even X1 had higher stakes since the fate of every major world leader hung in the balance.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #65
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

6/6

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #66
NJCaliboi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
X2 was much more of a last stand than X3, all mutants were facing extinction if Stryker won. In X3, Magneto wanted to kill some kid and had no interest in going after the X-Men, much lower stakes. Heck, even X1 had higher stakes since the fate of every major world leader hung in the balance.
We get it! U hated X3....lol If you've done nothing else, you've at least been clear on that.

NJCaliboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #67
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCaliboi View Post
We get it! U hated X3....lol If you've done nothing else, you've at least been clear on that.
People are allowed to hate X3 if they want to. There was really no need to respond like that.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #68
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
That's pretty much how I would rank them as well. I would change The Wolverine from being decent to good though.
I might have to rewatch The Wolverine to see if I'd rank it as good because I probly was a bit biased before watching it. But again, I was pleasantly surprised with the final result. Gives me a lot more hope for DoFP.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #69
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

In order:

01.) X-Men: First Class
02.) X-Men: The Last Stand
03.) X2
04.) X-Men
05.) The Wolverine
06.) X-Men Origins: Wolverine

In depth:

*X-Men
I think this is a very good adaptation of the basic premise of the world, and with everything that came after it, a very good introduction. The events of the movie are rather unspectacular, but it has some great character moments and I feel truly captured the heart of what the X-Men world is about.

*X2
Picking right up where X-Men left off, but upping the stakes. Has the first really memorable action sequences of the series, with the Nightcrawler White House attack, Pyro outside of Bobby's house, and the first truly breathtaking sequence of the film with Jean's sacrifice at Alkali Lake. I do feel like the 3rd act dragged on a bit too long, and I wasn't a fan of the overly choreographed Wolverine v. Lady Deathstrike fight, but this movie really brought the X-Men series to new heights.

*X-Men: The Last Stand
What can I say about this film? More like, what can't I say? I have never had a movie that provoked such an emotional response. Never before had I followed a film's production before, this was the first time. I gathered every bit of news and information about this film that I could, and to this day, X-Men 3 is by far my most anticipated film of all time. Which also led up to it being my most disappointing film of all time. Studio politics interfered, and for the first time in the series, we got some truly offensive changes to the source material. But despite that, there was still a lot of promise for this film. Unfortunately, the trailers and marketing wrote a check that the film itself simply couldn't cash. In addition to the offensive changes like killing Cyclops and curing Rogue, the movie missed in a lot of other areas as well and just didn't live up to the potential.

All that said, X-Men: The Last Stand is a truly bittersweet film. Never before had I been able to hate a movie so much, but love it at the same time. This film made me realize how subdued Singer's films were. Which wasn't a bad thing, as I believe Bryan Singer made the right creative choices for the 1st 2 films, and setting the tone and the world. But it was nice to see these characters finally unleashed. In many ways, it felt more like the comic book and cartoon characters we'd all come to know and love. For the first time, we saw Magneto as a true terrorist threat, instead of just talking about it. Magneto took a step up as a leader for his cause and had not one, but 2 great monologues / speeches. While the film on the whole lacks the emotional punch that it should have had, the emotional moments it does have get it just right. Beast was an amazing addition to the franchise, and I believe one of the best characters in the series to this point. And after going back and re-reading both the Dark Phoenix Saga as well as the Gifted run that this film is based off of, I realize that it didn't bastardize the source material as much as it's claimed to have done.

In the end, I have to look at this film as missed potential, but still took the series in a new direction that it needed to go. The movie wasn't what it should have been, and by watching deleted scenes and alternate scenes, what the movie truly could have been. The right scenes were filmed for this movie, with Logan's speech to Iceman ("You go to war, you might not come home"), or Rogue rejecting the cure, but were cut in favor of the wrong versions of these scenes. In many ways, is the film of the main trilogy that angers me the most, especially when I know the material exists to make a completely better version, but at the same time, it's also the film of the main trilogy that I enjoy the most that does things the most right. It's a very bittersweet movie that can be both my most hated and most beloved of the trilogy all at the same time.

*X-Men Origins: Wolverine
I can take all the same things I said about X-Men: The Last Stand and copy and paste it all here, because this movie elicits many of the same emotional responses. It doesn't elicit the highs that X-Men: The Last Stand does, for a variety of reasons - I prefer the X-Men as a team as opposed to individual characters, so off the jump this movie was at a handicap for me. But the lows are by far the lowest of the franchise.

Plot points like adamantium bullets are forced and contrived. A computer controlled Deadpool that is controlled by Stryker typing commands into a keyboard is just awful. I don't inherently hate the film version of Deadpool, I like him being a Weapon X experiment, and I even like the arm swords, but giving him Cyclops powers was too much. The Blob scene in the boxing ring is just horribly cheesy, along with the fire escape scene, and virtually every mutant having enhanced leaping ability is just lame.

But like X-Men: The Last Stand, the film isn't without things done right. When the movie tries to be, I think it develops some character really well. I enjoyed the build and the relationship between Logan and Kayla, and his time spent in Canada after escaping Team X. After escaping Weapon X, I enjoyed his time with the Hudsons before they were killed by Agent Zero. Creed was portrayed and developed very well, and for the short time he was in the film, Gambit was portrayed very well as well. Whether the connection was intentional or not, as a Gambit fan, I really enjoyed the history that was implied between Gambit and Sabretooth, and how it fits into their own history in the comics. Even the adamantium bonding procedure, which should have been a better scene than it ultimately was, I still really enjoyed.

Unfortunately, like X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine suffers from poor scene selection. The proper mind erase sequence was filmed for the movie, and would have made even the adamantium bullet make more sense, but unfortunately it was cut out. That one single scene could have changed so much of the movie for me.

In the end, this movie is by far the worst of the series. That said, I still don't buy into the hyperbole surrounding it. While it's the worst of the series, it still has a lot of things that I feel it does right, that offer a truly enjoyable experience and make it a worthwhile entry into the series. But the film is certainly not without its flaws, and its flaws are many.

*X-Men: First Class
When this film came out, I had the least amount of hype for it that I had ever had for an X-Men film. I wanted the series to be done and over with - not because it sucked, but because I felt it had done all it needed to do. Plus, I am not happy with Matthew Vaughn dating back to his X-Men 3 days, so his attachment to the project concerned me. But I started to build some hype once the trailers hit, and once I finally saw it, boy oh boy was I pleasantly surprised.

The most unnecessary film in the entire series, that had no business being any kind of good, somehow ended up being the best in the series, despite probably being the most inaccurate film to date. But what it did with the characters, and how it developed the character, tone, and heart of the world, but unleashed these characters, it was an overall perfect storm and combination of ingredients.

As with any film, it is not without its flaws. I could tell that Matthew Vaughn was more worried about making "A Matthew Vaughn Film" rather than an X-Men film, and all through the pre-release hype all he could do was talk about how he wanted to make a James Bond movie, and it showed. But when he actually focused on making an X-Men movie, it was tops.

I still don't like cliche plot points like spinning booths that lead to secret rooms, secret breakaway submarine bases, cheesy sequences and montages that have maps blowing up, or nuclear blasts as the USSR and American flag wave in the background, or juvenile moments like Beast groping a mannequin (or the deleted Magneto in drag scene), and there's definitely some moments of poor dialogue, but moments like Xavier digging in Magneto's mind and finding the memories of his mother, or Beast and Mystique discussing the cure, or Magneto and Xavier discussing what to do when they confront Shaw, or Mystique finally embracing her mutation, or Magneto paralyzing Xavier, and the split between Magneto's side and Xavier's side as Mystique tells Beast to be proud of who he is, are some of the most well filmed emotional moments of the series.

No matter what you think of the 2 movies that came before it, X-Men: First Class truly brought the franchise back around and gave it a much needed shot in the arm.

*The Wolverine
This film to me is very similar to X-Men, in terms of the fact that it's overall an accurate depiction of the story being told, and doesn't take very many drastic deviations from the source material, but at the same time, doesn't really do much outstanding. That doesn't mean it's a bad film. I love X-Men, and I love The Wolverine. But it simply adds the least to the overall world, and doesn't really raise the stakes too terribly high. Like I said with X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I prefer the X-Men as a group as opposed to individuals, and this particular story is one that I didn't have much personal attachment to, so I was probably only ever going to enjoy it so much. But for me, this movie was as good as it could have been, and I enjoyed it as much as I possibly could have. It truly reached its potential with me. It's a very well done movie, and a welcome addition to the franchise. Very happy to see how well it respected the series it was adapting, and very happy to see it connect itself to the past movies the way it did, but in the end, this was really just a filler film until the real movie comes out next year.

Last edited by Nell2ThaIzzay; 08-06-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #70
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCaliboi View Post
I agree...cool avatar Blackfox!
Cheers my xman friend

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #71
TheGoddess
Banned User

X1- Really good as an introduction into the X-men myhtos for the general public.It setup your main characters(mainly Wolvie ). Gave you the back story of the X-men and it's purpose,and what it means to be a mutant. showcased everyone's abilities and what not. Also opened doors for modern day CMB films. Without the success of the first X-men movies and Spiderman films,Marvel Studios might not have been possible,or could have still been in development.

X1 along with X-2 are classics.

X2 - Was one of those movies where it was definitely better than the sequel. It was a rare thing because a lot of people are like,nothing beats the original ,and blah blah blah..but honestly X2 was critically acclaimed the best superhero film..that is until Avengers came along lol.

I really liked the inclusion Of Kurt,and the little moment he and Storm had,also how he and mystique had a brief moment. the opening white house scene was bomb too.One of the best moments in a comic book film.That scene alone is why when I get pissed at some of Signer decisions,I know he can be a brilliant director.

X3- was **** plot wise.It could have went somewhere,but did not unfortunately. They should have either strictly did the cure storyline or Dark Phoenix Saga.It was a big fat mess to combine the two....but I have to admit the action scenes and choreography were thrilling. Even though Logan and Storm got their asses whooped at Jeans house,it was a pretty cool fight scene. Also Magneto on the freeway flipping all those trucks and cars, the Bridge lifting, Juggernaut chasing Kitty etc(lol)

Now that I look back,X3 isn't that bad..but it's baaaad

I void Wolverine Origins movie..yuck!

First Class was Superb!! It rebooted the whole franchise without actually starting over. It put the X-men back into the forefront and basically reminded everyone "Hey were still here,the Avengers aren't he other Superhero team you know"

Also it took the X-mythos even further back showing how Charles and Erik were once friends and two Charles established the X-men.

Have yet to see "The Wolverine". I'm going this friday

TheGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #72
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

If I were to rate them and I am:

Xmen - 7.5/10
Xmen 2 - 8.5/10
X3 - 5/10
Origins 3/10
FC 8/10
The Wolverine 9/10

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #73
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

X-Men - 8/10
X2 - 9.5/10
X-Men: The Last Stand - 7/10
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 5/10
X-Men: First Class - 9/10
The Wolverine 8/10

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #74
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
If I were to rate them and I am:

Xmen - 7.5/10
Xmen 2 - 8.5/10
X3 - 5/10
Origins 3/10
FC 8/10
The Wolverine 9/10
Wow, TW crawled to your #1 spot, eh? Nice!

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #75
First Avenger
Side-Kick

X2 9.0
fc 8.5
tw 8.0
x1 7.5
x3 6.0
xmo 4.0

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote