2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #376
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Neill Blomkamp’s next project... ELYSIUM? - Part 1

Saw it a few days back and I found it passable. Nothing special and definitely nowhere near the level District 9 was on.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #377
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyzovrezon View Post
I saw it today. For cinematography, I thought the best part was the opening aerial shot going over Earth. We were sitting down front and it felt like being on a ride.

As for the plot, it was a typical dystopian story of people struggling to survive in horrible conditions while an elite few have all the privileges and utilize the power of their influence to control others.

I also found the story to be an allegory for the necessity for and morality of universal health care.
Or from the perspective of a few billion people, real life.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #378
dark_b
Side-Kick

yeah but in real life rich people are not evil because they are rich haha

dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #379
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Multi-billionaire's who derive their wealth through knowingly and harshly exploiting foreign workers and that use their clout in politics to maintain the status quo? Yep, arguably evil.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #380
OcStat
Side-Kick

Not arguably, definitively.

In my opinion anyway.

Finally saw the movie yesterday and I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting so much gore but now thinking back on District 9 that is silly of me. Matt Damon is the man, the first act of the movie was very well done, it got a little more straightforward as it progressed but so did D9, not necessarily a bad thing. I just enjoyed learning about the world the movie was set in. I didn't know the movie was set in LA so that was a "whoa" moment for me. I visited Mexico recently, my band played a show down there, just a 20 minute drive and a fence that seperates the here and now from "LA 2150". Slight exaggeration, but you would be surprised.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #381
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

I saw it a short while back and enjoyed it. Maybe less than D9. Matt Damon was good in it though.

I do think that Blomkamp is good at building towards and ramping the energy up towards the conclusion/ending. With both D9 and Elysium I was engaged in the central characters and what would happen to them.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #382
Persona
Side-Kick

hey, guys, remember this movie.

anyways, i wrote a sorta after-the-fact review of the thing. here:

http://thedamper.com/reviews/frenetic-and-frayed/

Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #383
dark_b
Side-Kick

i think this short movie is inspired by Blomkamp's style from D9. gritty,dirty and robots. i am happy that creative people are inspired by Blomkamps style. it works very good for scifi movies

http://vimeo.com/75781782

Old 10-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #384
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I missed this at the cinema but I have pre-ordered the steelbook Blu Ray.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #385
StarLord
Legendary Outlaw...

I love looking into the development of a character, so I just had to find out some more about Copley's character Kruger and luckily enough, Sharlto did an AMA on Reddit about a month ago.

On preparation:

Quote:
Preparation really depends on the character - for Kruger i had an itunes playlist called "KRUGER" and it was full of more aggressive style music - wrap, some metal tracks - i would listen to the music every day on my way into set, and sometimes during breaks at the trailer. The song i listened to the most was DROP THE WORLD by lil wayne and eminem.
Kruger's background:

Quote:
Kruger was inspired by okes from the south and 3-2 battalion right from the start of his invention. i hope they forgive me that he had to be a villian in this one. if he could have been the good guy i would have prefered that as his character certainly isn't how i see my friends from "the south" or in fact 3-2 battalion.
For those interested, the full AMA (there are also some questions about D9 and Oldboy) - http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...harlto_copley/

I thought this movie was excellent and the visuals and scenery were absolutely stunning. I know I'm real late to the party, apologies.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #386
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

It's pretty sad how forgettable this turned out to be. I was optimistic but not stoked, yet was ultimately disappointed. Shame. Great fx.

Eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #387
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Pretty much the same way I felt. A lot of wasted potential.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #388
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

It reminds me of how I felt about Green Lantern. I don't have any bad feelings towards it, but just kind of feel sorry it didn't work out. It could have been so good. I just end up shaking my head and saying what a shame it is. I cannot summon any type of strong feelings either way, hence forgettable.

Eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #389
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I do think Elysium will improve with repeat viewings though, the movie had a lot to register in your mind and so I will be watching this a few more times at least.

I watch every movie twice because of the amount of times a 2nd viewing has totally changed my opinion of a movie.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #390
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I know this is a complaint by many, but damn was the shaky cam annoying at times.

Great movie though.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #391
jacobed
Banned User

It was unbearable. I think the action scenes will be better while watching them on your tv, I find shaky cam to better with a smaller screen. But still it was horribly filmed, really was disappointed with this movie.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #392
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Well this movie certainly benefitted from a 2nd viewing, with me anyway, I enjoyed it much more on BD as I think the visuals stood out even more and the shakey cam didnt seem as bad.

I could make things out more clearly especially in the action scenes which was a huge improvement, the action is pretty damn good now and the central story is still very good with Damon holding things together with a quietly good performance, while Copley gives us the villain of the year in Kruger. I will be watching this again and appreciating it more and more I think. Still not D9 level but a movie I really like now.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 12-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #393
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

What a disappointment this was. I hope he can bounce back with Chappie, cause I love District 9.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #394
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Kruger is a fine henchman, but he made for a poor villain.

What was his plan anyway? Did he have one beyond I'm mad? He's going to take over Elysium? Yeah that'll work.

Even Foster's character's plan didn't make a whole lot of sense upon closer examination.

The whole movie, its world, and it's characters felt extremely underdeveloped.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #395
dark_b
Side-Kick

i swear to god watching the movie felt like Elysium was realesed 3 months after D9. like the whole movie was rushed into writting and into production. shocked....shocked that this movie was realesed 4 years after D9. 4 years.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #396
Zeus
Side-Kick

Not sure what the hate is, I loved this movie

Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #397
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Not sure what the hate is, I loved this movie
Same here.

If you keep your eyes open and stay aware of the times, every so many years fanboys jump on the next big criticism for films trying to act like film experts. Recently everyone has been throwing out the "it wasn't deep enough"and "the character had no arc". Usually I have no problem with those complaints but the amount of people who throw that out for nearly every movie now shows that it's more of a trend.

Could the movie have touched on social issues a bit more? Sure, but just because it didn't doesn't mean it's a bad movie. That's also another criticism I don't care for, when people consider a movie bad because it didn't play out the way They wanted it to.

I didn't love the movie, I put it in the "I really liked it" range. I think it's far from being bad or even subpar though. Then again I really liked Prometheus minus a few things and wasn't confused by it.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #398
Zeus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Same here.

If you keep your eyes open and stay aware of the times, every so many years fanboys jump on the next big criticism for films trying to act like film experts. Recently everyone has been throwing out the "it wasn't deep enough"and "the character had no arc". Usually I have no problem with those complaints but the amount of people who throw that out for nearly every movie now shows that it's more of a trend.

Could the movie have touched on social issues a bit more? Sure, but just because it didn't doesn't mean it's a bad movie. That's also another criticism I don't care for, when people consider a movie bad because it didn't play out the way They wanted it to.

I didn't love the movie, I put it in the "I really liked it" range. I think it's far from being bad or even subpar though. Then again I really liked Prometheus minus a few things and wasn't confused by it.
It is a different kind of film from District 9 too...It was bigger in scope and ambitious. I loved it, and it was emotional. I enjoyed the movie and I hope to own it on DVD

Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #399
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
It is a different kind of film from District 9 too...It was bigger in scope and ambitious. I loved it, and it was emotional. I enjoyed the movie and I hope to own it on DVD
I'm picking it up tomorrow on Blu-ray during my lunch break.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #400
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Its worth it on BD guys, the picture is great and I could make out many things a lot clearer, especially the action, which I found hard to follow in the cinema.

D9 just kept on getting better and better with repeat viewings, Elysium has done for me on a 2nd viewing as well.