1 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #126
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Default Re: Neill Blomkamp’s next project... ELYSIUM? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Not trollish at all. I was the first person from his board to have seen the movie but every one of my critical comments was being reneged and called wrong by Persona. Who hadn't seen it. Who was defending it just because he wanted it to be good. And then after he saw it and loved it he even himself stated that his opinion is biased because he wanted to love it, etc, etc.

So, no, I don't want to participate in conversation or critical analysis anyone who exchanges any chance at objectivity for blind fanboyism. It's masturbatory behavior.
Watch your step getting off that high horse. It's a long fall.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #127
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Cliched or not I just thought it was boring. If this was a fun and entertaining formulaic flick I wouldn't care. But this was dull, and filled with uninteresting dialogue through most the film. Besides some cool visuals and gadgets there's just not much going on. Felt like you could have cut an hour out of it and the film would essentially be the same. Really not much there in the script even though the film thought there was because of its themes. Had alot of potential but even the action was a let down imo. Too bad.

4/10

All I kept thinking watching it (besides more people need to explode) was when the hell will Cameron move forward on Battle Angel Alita.
Hell yes

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #128
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

I adored Elysium. Did it have its flaws? What film doesn't? There were a few gripes I had with the script but I think Blomkamp delivered again. Damon and Foster were good but Copley stole the show. I needed this film after the disappointment that was the Thor trailer.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #129
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I really, really, really liked it. It is overly sentimental at points, and the kid is straight emotional blackmail, just like the kid alien in District 9. But I really enjoyed it.

Kruger goes right to the top of the list of characters that I love and hate with equal intensity. Sharlto was great and it is worth watching the film just for him.

The thing that I think would have benefited the film the most is

I would have opened the film on the shot of Max in the mirror and cut the nun. Heck, probably scrap all the flashbacks. To sappy, to on the nose imo. It would have all worked a lot better without imo.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #130
lime
Movie critic

Watched it. It was a bit of a let down. Flat story full of cliches. But the score and Visual Effects were fantastic.

lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #131
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

JeremyJahns says it's AWESOMETACULAR.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #132
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

On a bit of side note. These might be the best robots I can remember seeing on film. A real weight to them. Made each look like a serious threat.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #133
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Would you guys say this is an action movie or a dialogue movie with sprinkles of action? (I haven't seen it yet)

Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #134
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
Watched it. It was a bit of a let down. Flat story full of cliches. But the score and Visual Effects were fantastic.
I'll never understand this. We've gotten to a point in cinematic history where every film is technically cliched nowadays.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #135
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Not getting the Jodi Foster hate at all. I was ready for some bizarre accents and terrible acting. It never showed up, not even for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Would you guys say this is an action movie or a dialogue movie with sprinkles of action? (I haven't seen it yet)
I'd say it is an sci-fi action film. It sets a mood relativily quickly, and about half way through the second act the action kicks into gear, there is a steady dose.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #136
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Seeing it tomorrow.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #137
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

But can I take my 2 year old kid to see it?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #138
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I'll never understand this. We've gotten to a point in cinematic history where every film is technically cliched nowadays.
I will say this about the cliched comments. Cut down on the flashbacks and the overt sentimentality during some scenes and I think the cliched comments wouldn't be coming up so much. Hell I really liked it, but I almost rolled my eyes twice. It stands opposite the gritty nature of the characters and story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post

Actually other then two scenes, I'd probably say yes.

But one is pretty bad.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #139
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:

I'm taking my 6 month old kid.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #140
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Neither do I. Foster was quite solid. In fact, good. I don't see how she was terrible or mediocre.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #141
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
I'm taking my 6 month old kid.
Well, if any group of moviegoers know how to be quiet during key scenes of a film, it's them.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #142
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Neither do I. Foster was quite solid. In fact, good. I don't see how she was terrible or mediocre.
I thought Foster was good to. It literally baffles me. Especially in the same summer as The Wolverine, where we do have a complete fail in the female villain role.

I have no idea what the complaints are about her accent. Her character seemed to have a slight French accent that was clearly fading to me.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #143
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I will say this about the cliched comments. Cut down on the flashbacks and the overt sentimentality during some scenes and I think the cliched comments wouldn't be coming up so much. Hell I really liked it, but I almost rolled my eyes twice. It stands opposite the gritty nature of the characters and story.
I agree with you. Several of those moments made me groan but overall I liked them too. At times though, you have to wonder if the director and/or writers insert these cliched moments at will. I mean, if you were a writer, wouldn't you go out of your way to avoid cliches?

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #144
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, if any group of moviegoers know how to be quiet during key scenes of a film, it's them.
Little ones at the movies are like guns. Little ones don't ruin the movie going experience, the dumbass parents that brought them do.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #145
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I thought Foster was good to. It literally baffles me. Especially in the same summer as The Wolverine, where we do have a complete fail in the female villain role.

I have no idea what the complaints are about her accent. Her character seemed to have a slight French accent that was clearly fading to me.
Exactly. Critics can have their own opinions but I am appalled by some of the hate Foster is receiving. A few of these critics praised Viper. Did I miss something here?

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #146
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree with you. Several of those moments made me groan but overall I liked them too. At times though, you have to wonder if the director and/or writers insert these cliched moments at will. I mean, if you were a writer, wouldn't you go out of your way to avoid cliches?
My thing with the scenes here is that it is all of telling, not showing. You cut them, you probably knock off 5-8 mins and the movie has a harsher, more appealing feel imo. The opening scene, before Max in the mirror, completely unnecessary and just pours on the sentiment.

We should be learning about Max and Frey's relationship in the hear and now. It was all there in the actual scenes. No need for the flashbacks. It almost feels like they think I am dumb.

Quote:
Exactly. Critics can have their own opinions but I am appalled by some of the hate Foster is receiving. A few of these critics praised Viper. Did I miss something here?
The drugs? You forgot to take the drugs before watching the films?

Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #147
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Nope. Not from you. You will defend the movie till the end of time regardless of how it turned out. No objectivity = no interest. Move along.
Quote:
Not trollish at all. I was the first person from his board to have seen the movie but every one of my critical comments was being reneged and called wrong by Persona. Who hadn't seen it. Who was defending it just because he wanted it to be good. And then after he saw it and loved it he even himself stated that his opinion is biased because he wanted to love it, etc, etc.

So, no, I don't want to participate in conversation or critical analysis anyone who exchanges any chance at objectivity for blind fanboyism. It's masturbatory behavior.
just incredible.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #148
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Once more:

BLOMKAMP: It depends on the kind of film you want to make. Elysium really is the film I wanted to make. Again, if I don’t die of Legionnaires’ disease, looking back on it like five films down the line it may be the most expensive film and it will be something I will eternally be proud of. So it was the film I wanted to make. But answering your question, the next film I want to make is far lower budget than this and is ****ing mental. And the film after that is…I think it may end my career. It’s a comedy and I don’t know what will happen and I like that I don’t know what will happen. If it’s too volatile and people just hate it and I get booted out of Hollywood I can go back painting paintings and stuff. To have a bunch of lower budget, very interesting, super edgy films and not have something cinematic- my whole goal with this was cinema, big scale cinema and archetypal storytelling and archetypal lead character. I would not be happy to be a guy that didn’t have that in my body of work. So that’s really the thinking.

Blomkamp made exactly the movie he wanted to make, he knows about all the archetypes, clichés and such.

Tim_Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #149
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
Once more:

BLOMKAMP: It depends on the kind of film you want to make. Elysium really is the film I wanted to make. Again, if I don’t die of Legionnaires’ disease, looking back on it like five films down the line it may be the most expensive film and it will be something I will eternally be proud of. So it was the film I wanted to make. But answering your question, the next film I want to make is far lower budget than this and is ****ing mental. And the film after that is…I think it may end my career. It’s a comedy and I don’t know what will happen and I like that I don’t know what will happen. If it’s too volatile and people just hate it and I get booted out of Hollywood I can go back painting paintings and stuff. To have a bunch of lower budget, very interesting, super edgy films and not have something cinematic- my whole goal with this was cinema, big scale cinema and archetypal storytelling and archetypal lead character. I would not be happy to be a guy that didn’t have that in my body of work. So that’s really the thinking.

Blomkamp made exactly the movie he wanted to make, he knows about all the archetypes, clichés and such.
That doesn't mean you can't criticize it though.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #150
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Sure, but at least it's a conscious decision.

Tim_Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote