1 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #151
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Neill Blomkamp’s next project... ELYSIUM? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
Sure, but at least it's a conscious decision.
I am not disagreeing with that. But if a director came out and said they are going to make a crappy movie, can you then not criticize it?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #152
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

I really liked it, not a home run and current state of the genre advancement that District 9 was but it's also a lot better than most scifi being made today.

Just the way Neill integrates cgi, creates new and interesting technology, and action scenes make this ****ing awesome.

Damon, who I don't like much was solid and really liked Fichter being in it for a bit. Foster was neat for a change but nothing overtly bad just underused/written. The stand out of course is Sharlto pulling a 180 from D9 and that Spyder guy. Spyder had some very cool dialect and pronunciation/faces while speaking. Both of those guy's crew were also pretty fun and entertaining for typical fodder in films like this.

Gosh, though those robots were so great. This guy is so good at this stuff, same with the ships. Everything was so real and honest. My favorite moment was when one was landing and the ramp opened up, a piece of debris flew in just like it would if it was a real like a helicopter. Making fake and the real stuff seamless... Also, the way they exploded people was so beautiful, and those crazy guns (maybe not as cool as that sonic one in D9) were wonderful.

Flashbacks weren't overtly bad but not really necessary. I wish they would have dug deeper into the societal differences of the average citizen, this was done a lot better with Wikus in D9. And, the politics/purge needed more than a simple word scrawl. I know we picked up way later, but they should have drilled home more about them being so against healing anyone. Being rich was a cop out, if they have the tech (healing tubes) than they could put them on ships and save earth one person at a time. Even show us why this tech was held more by the rich and not passed along to the government and other groups.

Solid 8/10, could have been another 10/10 like D9 with some minor editing and a tighter script.

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #153
Persona
Side-Kick

Poni, what the heck are you talking about, dude. i made a post that responded to two of your gripes, length and racism, when the movie is well under 2 hrs and then i talked about the international casting for both Earth and Elysium. but i acknowledged in that same post that you had seen the movie and i hadn't so your opinion had more validity than mine (but now we share validity).

Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #154
theShape
Creature of Darkness

In terms of the completely over-cliche'd nature of this film (one of my complaints as well as several other people here)...I'll start by saying that there's nothing wrong with a good cliche. Cliches are NECESSARY and sometimes (as some defenders of the film have stated) impossible to avoid. We can spend time picking notable cliches and story tropes out of MANY critically/financially successful films, but there's no need.

One of the big problems with Elysium is that the cliches are coming at us from all angles of the film spectrum, and they are all blatantly obvious to us (the viewers, or at least me). It's not as if the film is based on one particular familiar tale. There's just too much familiarity (and mediocrity) in a film that seemed like it was at least supposed to feel "fresh". As someone posted, I understand that THIS is the movie the director wanted to make -- a big, expensive action film with archetypal characters and what not -- but that's not really an excuse.

In Elysium, we've got:

- A dead-beat protagonist with a shady, criminal past trying to go straight and stay out of trouble, but in order to get what he wants, he's gotta do ONE LAST JOB for his criminal friends
- A dead-beat protagonist with little to live for who suffers through a traumatic near-death experience, after which he is essentially retrofitted with "super powers". At first, his new-found power is only planned to be used for a simple task, but is eventually used for the greater good as our protagonist becomes somewhat of a self-sacrificing "superhero".
- Ticking clock (5 DAYS TO LIVE), race against time
- A very Chris Nolan-ish framing device with flashbacks to our protagonist's youth and his childhood love
- Heavy-handed political overtones -- illegal immigration, the 1% vs. the 99%, etc **This is not such a bad thing, since political allegory has been a staple in all of the best sci-fi films. However, while District 9 delivered it's own political overtones in a truly imaginative way, Elysium just lays it on heavy-handedly and with little purpose.**

Read on for more:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

- A young, innocent child tells our protagonist a story that also serves as a metaphor for his character trajectory
- A shady politician pulling the strings of the "evil plot"
- An evil mirror version of our protagonist (Copley), similarly retro-fitted with "super powers" of his own.
- Childhood love gets kidnapped and somehow drawn into this evil plot
- Oh, yeah, and her child is tragically dying
- At the film's climax, this villain gets a super-suit upgrade before the final battle with our protagonist.

We could go on and on here, but you get the idea so far. Those are just the things that popped into my head just now. The little things about Elysium were great -- robots, technology, laws, the idea/design of the 'Elysium' space station in general -- but it's the grand gestures that make the movie fall flat. Here's a quote from a critic that I found to ring true:

"Things eventually turn into a typical bash-a-thon, with the mechanically enhanced Max duking it out with Kruger and company while trying to save his own life and that of the daughter (Emma Tremblay) of a childhood friend (Alice Braga).

The dying kid shows how trite writer-director Neill Blomkamp (“District 9”) is willing to get. Add on the one-dimensional nature of virtually all the other characters and you end up with an epic about saving humanity that feels more manufactured than human."

michael1975 on Superman/Batman movie -

"I no longer care. I am so utterly disappointed it's not even funny. When movie comes out and his horrible I'm going to come back here and laugh and say "I told you so"."

Last edited by theShape; 08-09-2013 at 08:09 PM.
theShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #155
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

If you can pick this film apart so much, how do you enjoy any movie these days let alone life... itself?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #156
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I hardly see that as nitpicking. As much as I love them, RedLetterMedia's Star Wars reviews are nitpicking. theShape broadly addressed what he perceives to be flaws of the film in the adequate amount of words. I do not see any nitpicking.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #157
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
If you can pick this film apart so much, how do you enjoy any movie these days let alone life... itself?
You forget where you are for a minute?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #158
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

If films didn't have these 'cliches' than they'd be very boring, if not even exist.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #159
def28
Side-Kick

That's not true but Elysium is dull and boring regardless.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #160
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
If films didn't have these 'cliches' than they'd be very boring, if not even exist.
See, you just plain missed my point, it seems. I even stated at the beginning of my post that cliches and familiar story tropes are near impossible to avoid...and they should not be avoided. They are necessary for storytelling purposes in most cases. Things like a damsel in distress, hero kisses the girl at the end, dead-beat guy becomes a good guy...you know, these are things we're going to see in movies forever and ever. The best films, however, are the ones that deliver those familiar things to us in ways that are unique, fresh, and exciting.

It's one thing to take a few typical movie cliches (race against time, dying kid who delivers the message of the movie) and work from there, but when you have so many familiar ideas built into one film, there's not much to get excited about. There's not one thing you recognize from your Screenwriting 101 class...there's a dozen. THAT was one of my problems with the film.

Also, Elysium seems to be throwing some heavy ideas out at us during the film, especially during the first half. But by the time the third act comes around, the film just gives up on delivering any real significant message and turns into a by-the-numbers knock-em, sock-em action flick...too much happens too quickly, and there's no significance to any of it. Jodie Foster's death, for instance.

As far as nitpicking, you're a little off with that designation. Nitpicking is criticizing smaller, less crucial elements of the film...reaching into the tiniest details to find something to ***** about. What I'm doing is quite the opposite. I'm discussing the fundamental flaws in the overall execution of Elysium, a film that could've been pretty special but comes off as pretty typical. The concept of Elysium is pretty amazing -- even describing the plot in one sentence makes it sound instantly intriguing. The execution was, sadly, NOT so amazing.

"I no longer care. I am so utterly disappointed it's not even funny. When movie comes out and his horrible I'm going to come back here and laugh and say "I told you so"."
Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #161
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Hang on, let me try to be condescending, too.

"If you can ignore such glaring flaws in the underwhelming mess that was Elysium because you allowed yourself to be distracted by the 'cool CGI n robots', how can we value your opinion on film...at all?"

How was that?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #162
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Not getting the Jodi Foster hate at all. I was ready for some bizarre accents and terrible acting. It never showed up, not even for a second.

I'd say it is an sci-fi action film. It sets a mood relativily quickly, and about half way through the second act the action kicks into gear, there is a steady dose.
Really? I don't understand, she speaks what seems like perfect French, yet her French accent is on the verge of being laughable. There were times I forgot she was in this movie. Talk about underutilized.

This movie kind of sucked. Bland all around. It didn't get good until the third act. By then I was wondering what the hell I was watching before it. And Damon, I like the guy and all, but here I finally understood people's criticisms of him being bland. And God, I can't remember the last time I saw a bland protagonist like that. The script was a jumbled mess. Things could have been either removed, lengthened or switched around.

Three good parts:

Copley,
his face getting blown up and then the repair

I can't believe this is the same guy who made District 9.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #163
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really liked it, not a home run and current state of the genre advancement that District 9 was but it's also a lot better than most scifi being made today.

Just the way Neill integrates cgi, creates new and interesting technology, and action scenes make this ****ing awesome.

Damon, who I don't like much was solid and really liked Fichter being in it for a bit. Foster was neat for a change but nothing overtly bad just underused/written. The stand out of course is Sharlto pulling a 180 from D9 and that Spyder guy. Spyder had some very cool dialect and pronunciation/faces while speaking. Both of those guy's crew were also pretty fun and entertaining for typical fodder in films like this.

Gosh, though those robots were so great. This guy is so good at this stuff, same with the ships. Everything was so real and honest. My favorite moment was when one was landing and the ramp opened up, a piece of debris flew in just like it would if it was a real like a helicopter. Making fake and the real stuff seamless... Also, the way they exploded people was so beautiful, and those crazy guns (maybe not as cool as that sonic one in D9) were wonderful.

Flashbacks weren't overtly bad but not really necessary. I wish they would have dug deeper into the societal differences of the average citizen, this was done a lot better with Wikus in D9. And, the politics/purge needed more than a simple word scrawl. I know we picked up way later, but they should have drilled home more about them being so against healing anyone. Being rich was a cop out, if they have the tech (healing tubes) than they could put them on ships and save earth one person at a time. Even show us why this tech was held more by the rich and not passed along to the government and other groups.

Solid 8/10, could have been another 10/10 like D9 with some minor editing and a tighter script.
Wow, nearly agree with everything you said. And I thought I was the only one who liked Spyder (he reminded me alot of Eric Bana for some reason) but alas, Sharlto stole the show.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #164
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Honestly, if you were to give me the main premise of Elysium, I would make it a full on action movie and a summer popcorn flick.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #165
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Not getting the Jodi Foster hate at all. I was ready for some bizarre accents and terrible acting. It never showed up, not even for a second.

I'd say it is an sci-fi action film. It sets a mood relativily quickly, and about half way through the second act the action kicks into gear, there is a steady dose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Wow, nearly agree with everything you said. And I thought I was the only one who liked Spyder (he reminded me alot of Eric Bana for some reason) but alas, Sharlto stole the show.
Spider reminded me a lot like Eric Bana as well.

I could have seen an entire film about Kruger doing sadistic ****. He was just wasted on this movie.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #166
Harley2004
Side-Kick

I liked what this movie had to say, and Matt Damon was great. I am glad directors like Blomkamp, that only go to cgi when they have no other choice. This was not like watching the Avengers or something, he built everything and the movie looks so much better for it.

The shaky-cam, throughout was ridiculous. During the action scenes, I could not see what was going on, at all. So many things I liked about the movie, and I literally would not get it b/c of the ridiculous way the action scenes were shot.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #167
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley2004 View Post
I liked what this movie had to say, and Matt Damon was great. I am glad directors like Blomkamp, that only go to cgi when they have no other choice. This was not like watching the Avengers or something, he built everything and the movie looks so much better for it.

The shaky-cam, throughout was ridiculous. During the action scenes, I could not see what was going on, at all. So many things I liked about the movie, and I literally would not get it b/c of the ridiculous way the action scenes were shot.
True about the shaky cam. Many people in the audience started to groan about it too. This is one of these director fads I wish would just die.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #168
Grievous
General of the Droid Army

I enjoyed this movie. Not as good as District 9 but it was good. It had a strong political theme like Avatar but if you can look past that and just enjoy the movie for the action and plot then it was great.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #169
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Three good parts:

Copley,

Well that sucks you didn't enjoy the film , but I thought I'd say something about the gruesome grenade scene. A friend of mine died (in Iraq) in the back of a Bradley(tank) because a weapons malfunction blew half of his face off. I was in a different tank at the time , but I saw when he was pulled out and they had a makeshift j-tube down his throat to try to keep him breathing. Usually films don't remind me of real life violence, but that scene actually took me out of it for a minute.
I thought it was a bit of a cheat for that character to be resurrected, but at the same time it was a cool concept. I didn't want that character to die so soon anyway. I thought the death of Jodie Foster's character was too sudden and anti-climatic.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #170
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Really? I don't understand, she speaks what seems like perfect French, yet her French accent is on the verge of being laughable. There were times I forgot she was in this movie. Talk about underutilized.

This movie kind of sucked. Bland all around. It didn't get good until the third act. By then I was wondering what the hell I was watching before it. And Damon, I like the guy and all, but here I finally understood people's criticisms of him being bland. And God, I can't remember the last time I saw a bland protagonist like that. The script was a jumbled mess. Things could have been either removed, lengthened or switched around.

Three good parts:

Copley,

I seriously doubt she was attempting to do a full on French accent. It felt like a fading French accent that still bleeds through.

Quote:
Spider reminded me a lot like Eric Bana as well.

I could have seen an entire film about Kruger doing sadistic ****. He was just wasted on this movie.
Spider was pretty cool.

I agree on being able to watch an entire film about Kruger. Dude was insane.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #171
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

How does Jodie Foster die?

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #172
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
How does Jodie Foster die?
Kruger, stabs her in the neck with a piece of glass

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #173
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Damn this is frustrating listening to people talk about the film when I have to wait two weeks to see it, especially with some pretty polorizing views on it.

HAWKEYE PUNISHER WOLVERINE WAR MACHINE

DREDD
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #174
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

This thread makes me laugh so hard, so much hate for it

Tim_Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #175
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator