The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Default Adamantium: Yes or No?

Easy question...

Since we all know that the concept is to send present (or future) Wolverine's mind back into 1973 Wolverine's body, we are trying to determine what they will be able to do with him in that timeline.

So, easy question...

Will 1973 Wolverine have adamantium or not?

Some have pointed to Wolverine Origins to say that since 3 mile island happened in 1979, and it can be assumed that 3 mile island was a cover-up to what happened there with Deadpool, Wolverine, Sabertooth and Gambit; that it was in 1979 that Logan got his adamantium, so 1973 Wolverine can't have it, right?

But then Singer could just discard the whole Origins thing (I know many of us would love to pretend it never happened), or he could say that the 3 mile island incident in 1979 was due to a different situation and not the fight scene shown in Origins. That in fact the whole adamantium bonding, etc., actually happened in 1971 or 1972. It's all in how you play with the dates. If it was in year one of Vietnam that Wolvie and Sabertooth fought, were "executed", and were "hired" by Striker, that the year would be like 1965 or 1966. They could try to say that he was working on Stikers team for a couple of year and left in say 1968. He then hooked up with Silverfox and was living with her for what, a year or two, before Sabertooth got back into the picture. That could make it 1970 or 1971. If this was the case then he could have had the adamantium bonded in 1970 or 1971, and not in 1979. This way, in 1973, Wolverine could have already had the adamantium and would now be leading a new life in which he was trying to deal with the loss of his memories...

So, which will it be?

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Adamantium: Yes or No?

Nope, in my opinion the adamantium-bonding process happened in the 80s not 70s.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Please explain.

The only plot point that I can see used to determine that it was in 1979 was 3 mile island and that would be only if the 3 mile island incident was a cover-up for Wolverine's fight there. If not, then what else could make you conclude that he got the adamantium in the 80's?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Nope, in my opinion the adamantium-bonding process happened in the 80s not 70s.
Based on what?

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Please explain.

The only plot point that I can see used to determine that it was in 1979 was 3 mile island and that would be only if the 3 mile island incident was a cover-up for Wolverine's fight there. If not, then what else could make you conclude that he got the adamantium in the 80's?
I think he either got the adamantium in 1979 or a few years afterwards.

If the end of Origins was the X-Men movie version of Three Mile Island Incident, then it was 1979.

But would Stryker be able to run a mutant prison and lab next to an operational power station? I doubt it. Plus Gambit's dialogue on the plane trip to the facility suggests he is aware of the island as a bad place. That would suggest that the Three Mile Island Incident had taken place earlier in 1979 (as in our world) and that when the island was then abandoned and became a no-go area (because of the risk of radiation), Stryker set up his mutant prison and experimentation lab there in the subsequent years. So it could be many years after 1979 when the end of Origins took place.

In X1, Xavier mentioned that Wolverine had been on the run for 15 years. Some here say that X1 is set around 2003 (a 'not too distant future' after its 2000 release date) and subtracting 15 years from that gives you a year of 1988 for the end of Origins.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Honestly, I'm all for them ignoring Origins, but at the same time, I don't really have an issue with seeing Wolverine adamantium free for nearly an entire film. Could be interesting.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

We know that the adamantium procedure happened six years after Logan parted company with Stryker and Team X, but the exact year in which the latter occurred has not yet been established and there are two equally valid years in which it could have occurred: 1973 and 1975. Either way, though, the events of DoFP are going to take place BEFORE the adamantium procedure by a number of years unless the emergence of Sentinels and the events of DoFP end up accelerating things, although I can't really see that happening personally.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Honestly, I'm all for them ignoring Origins, but at the same time, I don't really have an issue with seeing Wolverine adamantium free for nearly an entire film. Could be interesting.
Same here. If he has adamantium claws in the 70's I won't mind one bit.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
Based on what?
When Prof X met Wolverine in X1, Prof X said its been like 15 years since Wolverine lost his memory or running or something. And Wolverine's memory loss/adamantium bonding process happened in the same year/same month and probably same week too. And I'm pretty sure X1 was set in the late 90s or early 00s. Going with that 15 year gap, the adamantium bonding process happened in the 80s.

And I don't really consider the date of " the 3 mile island incident" as the same date when Wolverine loss his memory.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ I firmly believe that the '15 years earlier' stuff has since been retconned.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Retconned by what?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Origins: Wolverine and what we know about DoFP primarily.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #13
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ Origins: Wolverine and what we know about DoFP primarily.
I refuse to believe that the happenings of Origins: Wolverine is connected to the three mile accident that happened in March 1979,.

Who knows if after the Three Mile accident in 1979, Stryker used that island for his mutant experiments.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ There are two possible dates for O:W's events to happen in: 1979 and 1981.

This is based on the bulk of the film taking place six years after Logan and Victor's recruitment by Stryker, with said event either having taken place in 1973 or 1975.

This is also based on the assumption that the trilogy takes place in 2003.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

He's only missing his adamantium claws.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

If Team X's Africa mission takes place in 1973 and DoFP's events take place following it, Logan won't get his adamantium enhancements for another six years after DoFP's events provided nothing is changed.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #17
Dusk
Side-Kick

Doesn't Stryker have a role in DOFP? Perhaps Wolverine's operation will play into the plot of the film?

Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
Perhaps Wolverine's operation will play into the plot of the film?
I doubt it unless they plan to completely change the circumstances under which said operation happens.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Perhaps Wolverine's operation will play into the plot of the film?
God I hope not. Two movies is enough.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Same here. If he has adamantium claws in the 70's I won't mind one bit.
Yep. Me too. And who knows, maybe we'd even get a scene of the Fass ripping Wolvie's metal out.

But like I said, either way I don't mind it. However, anything that ignores Origins is a good thing in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne
He's only missing his adamantium claws.
They're talking about 70's Logan Vile.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
Mars123
Side-Kick

Mmmm gonna be interesting what they do with claws around, whether its the 70s, present future, maybe even x5?

Mars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Doesn't Stryker have a role in DOFP? Perhaps Wolverine's operation will play into the plot of the film?
I hope not!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #23
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Please explain.

3 mile Island didn't come into service until 1974, so Stryker could not have been using it in 1973 anyway.

The place was also a no go area for a good while after the accident in 79, which would place the events in Origins there in the early to mid 1980's, which in turn fits Xavier' "15 years" comment to Wolverine. Plus Xavier was seen too, older, bald and walking, not a long haired bearded wheel-chaired hippie.

If he does have adamantium in 73 then the timeline must have already been altered.

Looking at the apparent Sentinel history stuff from the viral site (very much at odds with the original trilogy and Origins, and Erik's comments in the Wolverine's credit scene regarding humans 'building' a weapon, not that they already have one and have had it for some time) I am inclined to think that may well be where they are going with this (not giving him the metal earlier, but that the past that creates the Sentinel future is already an alternate from the OT, one changed before Wolverine is sent back to try and set things straight).

Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ So what you're thinking is they will have something change the past (which means someone will have to go back to affect it, pre-1973), which will alter the future so Trask becomes a powerhouse and the Sentinal program happens.

Then in the future (is this a new future) Xavier and Magneto will come up with a way to send Logan's mind back in time. So why do they select 1973 instead of the time when the past was actually changed?

Also this creates brand new questions on how changing the timeline works. For example, would time change around the people in existence, or would there be multiple timelines, meaning the Wolverine that we knew, and the Xavier and Magneto that we knew, are not the same ones because it is a different timeline?

If you think about it, for the general audience, this makes things very confusing. If instead it was simply that Xavier and Magneto realize that the future is going to be bad for mutants and that the point in time when this happened was in 1973 when the first Sentinal Mark I was released, it's easier. It could be that Xavier was contacted by someone in the future informing him of how bad it will be (Bishop maybe?). Wolverine's mind would need to be sent back in time to that point to take over his 1973 body to prevent the release of the Sentinals in order to save the future. He is sent back and he meets up with the 1973 X-men. Beast and he work along with Xavier (who is still having issues dealing with his paralysis) to defeat the Sentinal program. 1973 Magneto and Mystique will come into play, whether it is with Wolvie and Beast, or against, since the X-men wouldn't want additional human hysteria about mutants.

Either way, the Sentinals are never released and Wolvie's mind is sent back to the future. He then finds that some things are "fixed". For example, Jean Gray is alive, which means that Scott is probably alive as well. You get the idea...

This is simple and it's clean. Easy for the GA to understand.

If it was something more involved, like the assassination of Kennedy in the 60's which causes all of this, then why not send Wolvie to that point to stop it? Just like, if what you are saying is the case, that the past that creates the Sentinal future is an alternate, then why not send Wolvie back to prevent that change?

Now, based on all of this, and the fact that we saw bald Xavier at the end of Origins in his wheelchair, 1973 Wolverine should not have his adamantium yet. But, as I've said before, I have no problems with them just forgetting about most of what was in Origins!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

1973 WOULD be when the past was changed, as that's the year Trask produced the first Sentinel(s).

Quote: