The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Default What is your favorite DC Era?

What is your favorite DC Era? Specifically by decade... Do you like the 40's, 50's, 60's, the 70's, 80's, 90's or today? Discuss your favorite stories from the company's history, characters etc. If you want to go by age (golden, silver, bronze, modern) you can do that to.

I personally believe that DC was best in and ruled the 1970's. I love 70's Batman and it was this period that Superman became interesting, IMO. The Spectre by Michael Fleischer was great stuff. Aquaman had a great story in Death of the Prince. I could go on and on. I also appreciate the 80's and early 90's as the 80's gave us the graphic novel, John Byrne's Superman revamp, Batman Year One and DKR, Killing Joke etc.

Discuss!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Default Re: What is your favorite DC Era?

I grew up during the modern age but looking back and re-reading books from DC's entire publishing history the bronze age stories appeal to me the most.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Steve Englehardt wrote one of the best Batman stories of all time and I really liked Green Lantern Green Arrow by Denny O'neil even if it is a bit dated. DC had great horror books in the 70's also like House of Mystery. I may also be one of the few that appreciates Denny O'neil's Superman!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

The Seventies remains my favorite decade for comics [DC and Marvel.]

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

I'm a big fan of DC in the 80's and 90's. Recently, I've been going back and picking up alot of books from those eras and as I see what else was out, I go further and check them out as well. I think this time period really showed a burst in creativity in both writing and art and, if it was a superhero book, managed to have an intelligence and weight to it, all the while still feeling like a superhero book, albeit maybe not for kids. The 80's also saw the rise in horror comics. The 90's, atleast in terms of what Vertigo was dishing out, was nothing short of incredible.

The 80's had, aside from the usual books, Moore and Veitch's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol, Sandman, Jaime Delano's run on Hellblazer, Timothy Truman's Hawkworld mini(which has to be one of the greatest comics no one ever talks about), Perez's Wonder Woman, Mike Grell on Green Arrow, Denny O'Neil's The Question.

The 90's had Doug Wheeler's, Nancy Collins' and Mark Millar's runs on Swamp Thing(Wheeler and Collins were unfairly maligned, in my opinion. Wheeler's was convoluted but decent, and Nancy Collins domesticated ST instead of sending him on trials like EVERYONE else did but led to some GREAT stories, especially the last 15 or so issues of her run. Millar's run is arguably equatable to Moore's run and is the only thing by him that I enjoy), Sandman Mystery Theatre(more people need to read this), Robinson's Starman, The Demon, Ennis' Hellblazer run, Books of Magic, John Ostrander's run of The Spectre and the Hawkworld on-going, Preacher, all three of Timothy Truman and Joe R. Lansdale's Jonah Hex minis, Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, The Power of Shazam, JLA, The Invisibles, Shade The Changing Man.

Probably missing a bunch, but these are the ones I've been going back to and I love everything.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I really love the 80's thanks in large part to Alan Moore and his many contributions, as well as George Perez's pretty definitive (imo) reinvention of Wonder Woman. I think it was a great period of introspection for the genre, especially at DC/Vertigo, imo.

Thought I have to say, I really enjoy the post-90's Modern Age. Starting somewhere around Morrison and Waid's work on JLA in the late 90's, I feel like there were just so many great runs, minis and elseworld tales to come out in the decade leading up to the New 52.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

The 30's and 40's

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

70's

Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
Steve Englehardt wrote one of the best Batman stories of all time and I really liked Green Lantern Green Arrow by Denny O'neil even if it is a bit dated. DC had great horror books in the 70's also like House of Mystery. I may also be one of the few that appreciates Denny O'neil's Superman!
I bought Strange Apparitions back in 1999 and found it a more enjoyable read than most of the ongoing No Man's Land stuff of the time. It became my favorite Batman run. Sadly about 5 years ago I moved into a room at an apartment I where my name wasn't even on the lease.

I moved because a friend was living there and said it was ok for me to move in and help him with rent. So SA was one of the TPB's I picked up from my mom's place where I still keep most of my comic book collection. Well about 2 months after the room was locked without my knowledge because apparently only my friend was supposed to be in that apartment and the owner got mad when they found out I was also living there. They locked the room with all my belongings including SA in it and I never saw that book or Batman in the 70's (another TPB I brought there with me) again.

I learned my lesson never move out without signing a lease if you're going to rent. But then I've been trying to rebuy SA ever since only to find out it's been discontinued and now goes for about $70 on average on Amazon when I didn't even pay $20 for it when I bought it back in 1999. It's crazy as hell to me that such a great & IMO definitive Batman story is now discontinued. Yet they keep reprinting **** like Hush like there is no tomorrow

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men

Last edited by Cain; 08-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I bought Strange Apparitions back in 1999 and found it a more enjoyable read than most of the ongoing No Man's Land stuff of the time. It became my favorite Batman run. Sadly about 5 years ago I moved into a room at an apartment I where my name wasn't even on the lease.

I moved because a friend was living there and said it was ok for me to move in and help him with rent. So SA was one of the TPB's I picked up from my mom's place where I still keep most of my comic book collection. Well about 2 months after the room was locked without my knowledge because apparently only my friend was supposed to be in that apartment and the owner got mad when they found out I was also living there. They locked the room with all my belongings including SA in it and I never saw that book or Batman in the 70's (another TPB I brought there with me) again.

I learned my lesson never move out without signing a lease if you're going to rent. But then I've been trying to rebuy SA ever since only to find out it's been discontinued and now goes for about $70 on average on Amazon when I didn't even pay $20 for it when I bought it back in 1999. It's crazy as hell to me that such a great & IMO definitive Batman story is now discontinued. Yet they keep reprinting **** like Hush like there is no tomorrow

That's an unfortunate story, but Hey, you can get the Strange Apparitions stuff in this:
http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Dark-K...arshall+rogers

Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
That's an unfortunate story, but Hey, you can get the Strange Apparitions stuff in this:
http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Dark-K...arshall+rogers
Oh that's pretty cool. Since I didn't finish buying all the single issues of the Dark Detective series back when it was being published it's inclusion is a nice bonus. Thanks for the info

Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

yeah. $40 bucks may be a bit steep, but for all the stories, it is worth it!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

I'd say the 70's. Maybe because of nostalgia since I started to read comics then as a little kid. But the comic book art of Neal Adams, Curt Swan, Dick Giordano, Walt Simonson, Jim Aparo etc made such a huge impression on me that it's hard to say anything else, and it holds up so well today compared to many modern artists.

When it comes to stories, concept etc in that period I agree with others above. And there's of course no coincidence that my avatar is Paul Kirk/Manhunter, a great story by Archie Goodwin and totally amazing art by Walt Simonson from the mid 70's with Batman as a guest character.

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Cosmic
Theosophist

^This. I look back now with greater appreciation of what these guys did, than I ever had before.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
i'd say the 70's. Maybe because of nostalgia since i started to read comics then as a little kid. But the comic book art of neal adams, curt swan, dick giordano, walt simonson, jim aparo etc made such a huge impression on me that it's hard to say anything else, and it holds up so well today compared to many modern artists.

When it comes to stories, concept etc in that period i agree with others above. And there's of course no coincidence that my avatar is paul kirk/manhunter, a great story by archie goodwin and totally amazing art by walt simonson from the mid 70's with batman as a guest character.
amen!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Shazam
Side-Kick

Liked those 40's stories.....I remember reading those old reprints in those 100 page issues back in the 70's......Simon and Kirby , Alex Toth, Carmine Infantino, Mort Messick, Jack Cole, Bob Kane.........I could go on....The Golden Age was the best!

Last edited by Shazam; 09-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
Rocketman
Side-Kick

For me (specifically Batman), it was from the launch of Legends of the Dark Knight all the way to the end of No Man's Land, so roughly 1989-1999.

The first 20 issues of LotDK are simply unmatched, in my opinion. That is Batman.

Shaman: #1-5
Gothic: #6-10
Prey: #11-15
Venom: #16-20

And the first 20 issues come directly after Batman: Year One, so it's a perfect beginning to a new continuity.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
The Batman
The Dark Knight

For me, it generally depends on the character. For example, the 70's are my favorite era for Batman. The classic rogues weren't overused, Batman was a superhero james bond with only three books, and he was an actual human being. For Superman, my favorite era is essentially anything before post crisis. JLA's best era was Grant Morrison, and for GL I'd have to go with the Geoff Johns stuff.

But if I had to choose one...Bronze age for sure.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

Quote:
I also appreciate the 80's and early 90's as the 80's gave us the graphic novel, John Byrne's Superman revamp, Batman Year One and DKR, Killing Joke etc.
Crap, I seemed to forgot to mention those great benefits of the the 80's and 90's when great graphic novels like above mentioned came out, stuff like that didn't (afaik) exist before. Watchmen is another good example from that era.

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
Crap, I seemed to forgot to mention those great benefits of the the 80's and 90's when great graphic novels like above mentioned came out, stuff like that didn't (afaik) exist before. Watchmen is another good example from that era.
Yes. These great stories are simply a product of people taking chances that companies weren't willing to take in the 70's. It's just where the world of comics had progressed to. In the 80's everything became overly serious, political and dark partially as a result of Reagan-ism, but still fun and in the 70's, everything was still, more or less, classic comic book fun and innocent!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #21
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

80s for Batman, 70s for Superman.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #22
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

The modern era is my favourite

Books like Batwoman, Secret Six, Gotham Central, Demon Knights, The Movement

The kind of comics i want to read starring the kind of characters I want to read about

There was some good stuff in the 80's and 90's too though. Morrison and Pollack,'s runs on Doom Patrol, Starman, Tom and Mary Bierbaum's Legion of Superheroes run, Sandman, Shade the Changing Man...good stuff

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Gotta go with the 80's personally; but the New 52 makes almost anything from the past look even better.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #24
Silicon Surfer
Side-Kick

Anytime Pre-Crisis.

Silicon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Panthro
Catman Begins

When Wally West was the Flash

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote