Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #76
NanaT
X-Men United!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
From what you're seeing??? What have you seen? A couple of screencaps? Come on now. You haven't seen anything. We have very little info on what exactly will be going down in the 70's. I highly doubt anyone will get "bored". There is way way too much potential for character build up and character interactions with the 70's crew for things to be boring. And its not like the 70's portion wont have its share of action sequences or "exciting parts" either. Those moments won't be exclusive to the future side of the film.
To be fair she is entitled to his opinion. And she doesn't garner any excitement from the FC side of things. True there is little to base her opinions on but she has seen just about the same amount of FC as she has of the OT and yet he still manages to gain excitement for things involving the OT. xDOFPx, I believe didn't enjoy First Class as much as you or some other people did so she really has little reason at this point to be excited for them. Her opinion may change pending on if she is shown any thing that makes her excited to see the return of the 70's cast and setting. When it comes down to it she really shouldn't have have to reserve her opinion on this, however should she feel the need to she could very well amend her initial observations.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER

Last edited by NanaT; 08-07-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #77
Karelia
We Are Groot

Well if they're filming still, I'll hold out some hope they're keeping Cyclops a secret. Although he seems to not mind letting a lot of information spill about the film.

So maybe... He's just... not... in the film.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Old 08-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #78
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
The "what I've seen so far" argument just does not apply when all we have are a bunch of leaked screenshots.
I think it does apply.

Granted, all we've seen is low quality screencaps, and some behind the scenes stuff that Bryan Singer has tweeted, and not an ounce of footage, but it still gives us a glimpse into what they are doing, and allows us to play the speculation game on what we think is going to happen.

If I am allowed to express how awesome I think the future segments are going to be with the main trilogy cast, based upon the look of costumes, set pieces, and the plot points that I believe I can make out from what pictures we do have, then I think that he's allowed to not be as excited about the First Class portion of the film based upon the same amount of information.

It's not like he's stating factually what is or isn't going to happen based on the info we have. He's just basing an opinion off speculation, like we all are.

If I'm allowed to be excited based off of "what we've seen", then he's allowed to be cautious using the same data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post
Well if they're filming still, I'll hold out some hope they're keeping Cyclops a secret. Although he seems to not mind letting a lot of information spill about the film.

So maybe... He's just... not... in the film.
I think it's best to just assume he's not in the film.

While Singer has said he's going to "fix" some things, he's also come out and said he's going to maintain continuity. The last film that came out, that is setting up the new movie, strongly connected itself to the movie that killed Cyclops, so I don't necessarily see that being undone. And the changes that we know ARE being made, such as Xavier and Magneto, all had those seeds planted in the earlier movie anyways.

I love Cyclops as much as the next guy, and I still hate that he was killed off, but I'd hate to see him plugged in just for the sake of doing it. If they can do it in a smart and well done way, sure. But I hope they just don't plug him in with the excuse of "TIME TRAVEL HURP DURP!"

However, Singer has lied before to keep a surprise. But I wouldn't count on Cyclops coming back.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #79
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

He may have a brief cameo.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #80
The Batman
The Dark Knight

They gave Cyclops limited screentime when they adapted two storylines where Cyclops played a major role.

With that in mind, why would they try and make screentime for him in this film when he has no role in the comic version?

When the cast is already loaded as is?

And especially when, as Singer has indirectly said, there is no logical way to explain how Cyclops survived in X3?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #81
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
From what you're seeing??? What have you seen? A couple of screencaps? Come on now. You haven't seen anything. We have very little info on what exactly will be going down in the 70's. I highly doubt anyone will get "bored". There is way way too much potential for character build up and character interactions with the 70's crew for things to be boring. And its not like the 70's portion wont have its share of action sequences or "exciting parts" either. Those moments won't be exclusive to the future side of the film.
I've also seen filming pictures and heard bits and pieces of the storyline and I'm not particularly interested in what I've seen and heard so far. I'm not a FC fangirl so just them being there isn't enough to excite me.

I need a plot that actually makes me interested and so far I'm not. I am in the future stuff as it already looks good with them obviously fighting for survival and the time travel portion of things. The FC beyond the initial time travel seems to less exciting so far. I'm not really interested in what younger Magneto, Professor X and Mystique are feeling. Hopefully there is a lot more action than some shootings and a bit of fighting each other.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #82
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I think it does apply.

Granted, all we've seen is low quality screencaps, and some behind the scenes stuff that Bryan Singer has tweeted, and not an ounce of footage, but it still gives us a glimpse into what they are doing, and allows us to play the speculation game on what we think is going to happen.

If I am allowed to express how awesome I think the future segments are going to be with the main trilogy cast, based upon the look of costumes, set pieces, and the plot points that I believe I can make out from what pictures we do have, then I think that he's allowed to not be as excited about the First Class portion of the film based upon the same amount of information.

It's not like he's stating factually what is or isn't going to happen based on the info we have. He's just basing an opinion off speculation, like we all are.

If I'm allowed to be excited based off of "what we've seen", then he's allowed to be cautious using the same data.

I think it's best to just assume he's not in the film.

While Singer has said he's going to "fix" some things, he's also come out and said he's going to maintain continuity. The last film that came out, that is setting up the new movie, strongly connected itself to the movie that killed Cyclops, so I don't necessarily see that being undone. And the changes that we know ARE being made, such as Xavier and Magneto, all had those seeds planted in the earlier movie anyways.

I love Cyclops as much as the next guy, and I still hate that he was killed off, but I'd hate to see him plugged in just for the sake of doing it. If they can do it in a smart and well done way, sure. But I hope they just don't plug him in with the excuse of "TIME TRAVEL HURP DURP!"

However, Singer has lied before to keep a surprise. But I wouldn't count on Cyclops coming back.
arguably bringing back Cyclops is far easier than a wheelchair bound Xavier that looks the same though...

his "death" was offscreen, far easier to wriggle out of than Xavier being vaporised before everyones eyes

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #83
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
To be fair he is entitled to his opinion. And he doesn't garner any excitement from the FC side of things. True there is little to base his opinions on but he has seen just about the same amount of FC as he has of the OT and yet he still manages to gain excitement for things involving the OT. xDOFPx, I believe didn't enjoy First Class as much as you or some other people did so he really has little reason at this point to be excited for them. His opinion may change pending on if he is shown any thing that makes him excited to see the return of the 70's cast and setting. When it comes down to it he really shouldn't have have to reserve his opinion on this, however should he feel the need to he could very well amend his initial observations.
Thank you. Though I am a she

I was never a fan of FC so I won't automatically be excited for their material simply because it exists. I'm not some blind fan who eats up everything I'm thrown. I haven't really enjoyed an X-men movie since X2 so that is why the OT parts excite me more. They feel more in line with that. Only darker. I am happy Singer is back with the OT cast.

The FC parts seem more them fighting amongst themselves and young Xavier being emo. It doesn't fill me with joy so far. I don't actually care much about those characters to begin with. I'm mostly back for the OT characters. I don't deny it and yes that will colour how I view what others may think looks brilliant because they love the FC characters.

Last edited by xDOFPx; 08-07-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #84
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

This is my problem with basing an opinion on leaked screenshots.

Yes, we're all crawling the internet looking for this stuff. But we're not meant to see these, at least not like this. These are images taken from someone's phone, from an angle because the phone is hidden so the person filming this illegally won't get caught. They're just screenshots of places where the recording managed to pick up a halfway-decent shot when his video was paused.

This not how a trailer or actual stills from the film are meant to be presented to fans, which is why I think it's wrong to make decision on how exactly the movie looks based on this. Understand the source of what you're seeing and try to reserve judgement until you see something official, at least.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #85
kasjan
Side-Kick

Cyclops will have his cameo in middle credit scene.
What would he did in Montreal, he's not Halle's boyfriend.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #86
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
Thank you. Though I am a she

I was never a fan of FC so I will automatically not be excited for their material simply because it exists. I'm not some blind fan who eats up everything I'm thrown. I haven't really enjoyed and X-men movie since X2 so that is why the OT parts excite me more. They feel more in line with that. Only darker.

The FC parts seem more them fighting amongst themselves and young Xavier being emo. It doesn't fill me with joy so far. I don't actually care much about those characters to begin with. I'm mostly back for the OT characters. I don't deny it.
I do apologise, so sorry. shall amend.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #87
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Soooo we get a new Thor2 trailer today but no DoFP trailer still.

I am dissapoint

Old 08-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #88
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
arguably bringing back Cyclops is far easier than a wheelchair bound Xavier that looks the same though...

his "death" was offscreen, far easier to wriggle out of than Xavier being vaporised before everyones eyes
His death may have been "offscreen", but it was well established that he was killed.

Jean Grey confirmed she killed Scott. Xavier, who has mental ties to all of his students, felt Scott die and confirmed it himself when he confronted Phoenix.

I think all of these deaths and de-powerings are a little bit lame to undo, in the grand scheme of things, I think it's convoluted, a cop out, and just overall bad storytelling to kill someone off in a franchise, only to undo that through "HERP DERP TIME TRAVEL!" or "HERP DERP MIND SWAP!" or clones or whatever. These kinds of things are why comic books are never taken seriously as literature.

Am I saying it's impossible to bring Cyclops and Xavier back from the dead, or Magneto and Rogue back from being cured? No. And hopefully the explanation for them is good, and hopefully is a bit better than just "HERP DERP CURE DIDN'T WORK!" I trust that Singer and his creative team have something in store for the returns that we do know about, and IF Scott does come back, I hope he has something good in store for that as well. I just want this stuff to be well thought out and properly done, and not just go with the "time travel" cop out. That doesn't make for interesting, or even good, storytelling.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #89
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
Cyclops will have his cameo in middle credit scene.
What would he did in Montreal, he's not Halle's boyfriend.
Well you never know.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #90
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I do apologise, so sorry. shall amend.
No problem Easy mistake to make as most on here are guys. I assume everyone else is as well. Everything you said I agreed with. It's just my opinion on the FC parts. I'm sure many will love those bits.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #91
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
They gave Cyclops limited screentime when they adapted two storylines where Cyclops played a major role.

With that in mind, why would they try and make screentime for him in this film when he has no role in the comic version?

When the cast is already loaded as is?

And especially when, as Singer has indirectly said, there is no logical way to explain how Cyclops survived in X3?
It isn't plausible to think that they'll bring him back for a major/supporting/minor role. Honestly, they shouldn't.

However, I don't think it's implausible to believe in the possibility of an after the credits scene hinting at his return... especially since Singer seems to be aiming to please the fans with this movie.

You officially have no life.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #92
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:

Yes, we're all crawling the internet looking for this stuff. But we're not meant to see these, at least not like this. These are images taken from someone's phone, from an angle because the phone is hidden so the person filming this illegally won't get caught. They're just screenshots of places where the recording managed to pick up a halfway-decent shot when his video was paused.

This not how a trailer or actual stills from the film are meant to be presented to fans, which is why I think it's wrong to make decision on how exactly the movie looks based on this. Understand the source of what you're seeing and try to reserve judgement until you see something official, at least.
I think people are keeping things in context, but I still think people are entitled to form an opinion on the direction of the film from what we know, whether that opinion is good or bad.

I'm completely excited about what I see, and I feel like what little we've seen looks absolutely beautiful and like everything I ever could have imagined from this film.

Could I be wrong? Absolutely. I was wrong about X-Men 3* and X-Men Origins: Wolverine*

But I'm not going to hamper my excitement about what I see, and what I am absolutely loving at the moment, just because I haven't seen more.

* - I still love these movies, but neither one of them were what I thought they were going to be based on trailers and marketing.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #93
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

The 70s stuff is where alot if not most the story takes place, sentinels, trask and what sounds like loads of people with guns, the army? So they ain't just fighting among themselves

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 08-07-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #94
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Soooo we get a new Thor2 trailer today but no DoFP trailer still.

I am dissapoint
Well, Thor 2 is November, and DOFP is next May, so...there you go.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #95
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Well, Thor 2 is November, and DOFP is next May, so...there you go.
and boy do I wish it was the other way around

But surely it would be better to get a proper look at a trailer instead of dodgy, angled, awkward mobile phone shots taken from behind someones head.

It doesnt do Fox any favours for peoples first sight of the film to be this poor quality.

Ok I am just convincing myself here arent I

At least there is a good chance it will be soonish.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #96
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:

Oh no, it isn't the look of the FC parts I have a problem with. They look good. I have no issues with the direction or the look of the characters. It's the context of the plot that is bothering me. What I know of it so far doesn't sound as exciting as the future parts. The future parts seem more like the comics if you get what I mean. The characters even in just these screencaps feel more like what we've spent 13 years wishing for and only gotten some of so far.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #97
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
OMG OMG OMG NEW PICS!!!

They all look amazing! A few notes:

- I lightened the pic of Storm and it's Logan standing next to her with Xavier behind them in a wheelchair and Magneto further back.

- Sunspot and Warpath have similar costumes (which might be similar costume Logan's wearing in the leaked, grey-hair pic) that aren't totally cohesive with the X-Men uniforms.

- The shots of Sunspot and Bishop are both in front of the same door/tunnel opening.

- I think that might be Colossus carrying Rogue (unless Daniel said he didn't film with Anna) only because I can't make out any facial hair.

- The shots of Blink and Warpath are from the same spot and this is probably from the opening scene (since it was stated that they're the first characters you see).
Huh? What pics?

edit: nevermind.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #98
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post
It isn't plausible to think that they'll bring him back for a major/supporting/minor role. Honestly, they shouldn't.

However, I don't think it's implausible to believe in the possibility of an after the credits scene hinting at his return... especially since Singer seems to be aiming to please the fans with this movie.
I think Singer is trying to please fans...within reason. Like Nell said, even if Scotts death was off screen, there is enough evidence to suggest that Cyke did die. And I think Singer is disappointed not just with them killing Cyclops, but doing it in a way that makes it difficult for him to return in a logical manner.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #99
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
The 70s stuff is where most the story takes place, sentinels, trask and what sounds like loads of people with guns, the army? So they ain't just fighting among themselves
Been there and done that with the army which is why it does nothing for me. The Sentinels in the 70's are bound to be less extreme versions as well. The future parts seem like what we've never seen before in the X-Men movies. That is exciting.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #100
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
Oh no, it isn't the look of the FC parts I have a problem with. They look good. I have no issues with the direction or the look of the characters. It's the context of the plot that is bothering me. What I know of it so far doesn't sound as exciting as the future parts. The future parts seem more like the comics if you get what I mean. The characters even in just these screencaps feel more like what we've spent 13 years wishing for and only gotten some of so far.
So your judging by screen caps to decide that they are like the characters you wanted for 13 years?

I sense a certain amount of disappointment with expectations like that