The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Who's the best choice to be Ms. Marvel?
Kristen Bell 4 6.67%
Abbie Cornish 14 23.33%
Katee Sackhoff 39 65.00%
Maggie Grace 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #326
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
What are those concerns, explain them to me, because that sounds like a cheap copout. What they're saying is that people should be content with female heroes playing supporting roles to men, no that's not good enough and its ********.
Or, everyone that is not a white man is playing a supporting role to a white man. It is a bit tiring. Wonder when we will get a good female hero movie, or even more out there, a good Black, Asian, Indian, Native American, Latino or Arab lead role, either it be a man or a woman. And this whole thing about women not able to carry a film, we all know Kick Ass would have been crap if it weren't for Hit Girl.

Well, as for the title question, I like the idea of Charlize Theron or maybe even Angelina Jolie in the role.

Last edited by warhorse78; 11-17-2013 at 03:46 PM.
warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #327
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I completely agree with your points, and it's an industry-wide issue. Like I said, it doesn't excuse the fact that Marvel's slow with developing female centric CBMs. Studios everywhere don't like to green light action pictures that have females at the center of the storytelling and butt-kicking. That's why we have to keep talking about it and putting pressure on Hollywood to change their ways.

I would say that IM and Thor and The Hulk were pretty well-recognized prior to their movies getting made. Ant-Man? He was hand picked by Edgar Wright and Marvel wanted to work with him. It's basically been in a long in-development period and is only finally now getting off the ground.

As for GOTG, I think, or at least I hope, it signals that Marvel's willing to take bigger risks with development of their properties. It's a cosmic, family-friendly action adventure with merchandising potential out the wazoo. But it does have one of the more diverse (racial and gender) casts so far, and signs point to Gamora and Nebula having some really good development and action.

I'm extremely critical of Marvel in this department, believe me. But I'm also hopeful that they'll do right by us fans clamoring for more diversity.
Even sadder, is that hollywood has all the proof they need in the box office, with the likes of Titanic, Avatar, Hunger Games, Aliens, and hell, even Gravity have had great money making success with female heroes. And the female audience is huge, just look at the number 2 movie this weekend, Best Man's Holiday was 80% women, and Black women at that, a genre that is seriously ignored by hollywood for whatever stupid reason they can come up with.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #328
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
???

Is Wolverine a female character?
That would explain alot!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #329
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I've decided I want Sandra Bullock as Carol Danvers... On a related note, I reeeeeeeeally wanna see Gravity.
I wouldn't mind her either. She went blonde-ish in The Blind Side, and Sandy is a huge box office draw, she'd make a great addition to the MCU.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #330
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Jessica Drew is both a SHIELD and SWORD agent. She'd fit in perfectly.
True... it would be cool to see them do a bit of a buddy role dealing with whatever the issue is from the other side, so to speak. That could be a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Even sadder, is that hollywood has all the proof they need in the box office, with the likes of Titanic, Avatar, Hunger Games, Aliens, and hell, even Gravity have had great money making success with female heroes. And the female audience is huge, just look at the number 2 movie this weekend, Best Man's Holiday was 80% women, and Black women at that, a genre that is seriously ignored by hollywood for whatever stupid reason they can come up with.
Most of those films involve very strong male heroes. The most successful ones had male heroes at the center. Best Man Holiday pulled in $30 Million... Hollywood already knows they can make money off a female led film that costs 17M.

What they're looking for is proof that, all other things being equal, a female action film will perform just as well as a male action film. They don't want to know that the very best female action films that have everything going for them can do well, they already know that, that was never really in question. They want to know that even so-so okay female action films can do well, as many so-so okay male action films have. Barring that, they want to know if they do make a female action film that's totally awesome, it will make a billion dollars, as several great male action films have done.

Hollywood makes plenty of female-centric films, and loves to feature them in action in which they are constantly in peril, like in Gravity, or Hunger Games or Alien. These films are usually classified as horror or disaster movies more than action. What Hollywood doesn't have is proof that women want/enjoy the traditionally male fantasy of going up against a bunch of guys and beating the snot out of them, as a superhero must/should... at least not to the degree that men want/enjoy seeing male characters do that.

And if that's true, as it seems to be, then spending $150M on a male superhero movie is always a better investment than spending $150M on a female action movie, unless there's something specific about this property that people will love. That's what they're looking for. It may not be just and righteous, but it's not arbitrary or random at all.

I personally think Ms. Marvel, because of the strong male hero presence and the way that she stands in for a fan of superheroes (or that whole cute fangirl dream in general) and the way she goes up against far superior foes can really be that female action hero that everyone loves, not just people who feel it's overdue. I think even people who are perfectly satisfied with the female supporting heroes can fall in love with Carol Danvers. I think she's that neat - assuming she's handled reasonably well. I think if Ms. Marvel had a unique powerset or setting, it would be in the docket to be made right now.

Edit: I also think that as Catching Fire smashes records and starts to edge towards that Billion dollars, film studios will start to look for other properties that young women are into to adapt. That's why we're seeing Divergent and Book Thief. If there were female superheroes that lots of women were into, I think those would be getting adapted right now... unfortunately, the truth is that Wonder Woman and Ms. Marvel don't test well, they're not known and their basic concepts don't have instant appeal and emotional resonance the same way that a young girl trapped in a world she can't control does, which is what all these YA books are about, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I wouldn't mind her either. She went blonde-ish in The Blind Side, and Sandy is a huge box office draw, she'd make a great addition to the MCU.
At just about 50, I think Sandra might be a bit old for Carol Danvers. I think if they were going for box office draw the strongest person they could get might be Cameron Diaz. I can't think of anyone else with any draw who is appropriate, imho.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 11-17-2013 at 09:07 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #331
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

After the little jab that was taken at Daredevil and co, I'm not sure we'll see a Ms. Marvel film in the near future.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #332
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

A jab? I missed it, what happened?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #333
Dr. Evil
Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
He might mean Daredevil to Netflix?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #334
haephestus
Side-Kick

Re: Jab

Maybe the comment that IF Daredevil proves popular enough on the small screen then and ONLY then will they look at bringing him to the big screen?

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #335
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Carol will never work on TV. She needs too high of a budget.

Also, how would this line work in a sequel?

Captain Marvel: Request to utilize your couch, sir?
War Machine: Carol, what are you doing here at this hour?
Captain Marvel: Okay, I know I'm an alcoholic but you have to believe me. My therapist is evil and she's trying to kill me... What's that look for?

Also, Carol begins the sequel on the beach wearing a swimsuit that looks like her old black and yellow outfit.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #336
cph9fa
Side-Kick

In light of the Iron Man trilogy, I kinda doubt they'll make her an alcoholic, but I still laughed at the "evil therapist" bit. That seems like the kind of wry, deadpan, "Ha ha, only serious," flavor of humor that Carol seems to have.

Last edited by cph9fa; 11-18-2013 at 06:30 PM.
cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #337
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Bob Iger and one of his henchmen kind of buried the four Netflix Defenders characters, citing them as characters who "Would probably not have gotten movies."

if Daredevil, a top 10 Marvel solo hero, and Luke Cage, one of the poster boys of the last 10 years worth of Avengers comics aren't "film" worthy, it just calls into question which characters are.

2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #338
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

That's fair, but I'm not sure it was a comment on worthiness, but interest to the filmmakers. These are characters who haven't even been mentioned for films, save Luke Cage briefly five years ago. Captain Marvel likely wouldn't have been mentioned either, but fans keep asking for it, so it keeps coming up. It has a script, even if not a director. It's primed, just not pushed. DD and co, iirc, were not like that. Now if the Netflix are quite successful, and then people clamor for them, they will be, and more likely to be filmed since they already have an audience and actors.

Evil therapist, yes! I definitely agree that Carol should have a high level of snark and wit. Deadpan is awesome. In my head I see Lawson/Mar-vell as a sort of Dr. Who-ish eccentric alien, not unlike ultimate Maher Vehl with Carol, his 'companion' as a deadpan comedy sidekick. A little snark, a little taking things like life and death too serious, a little straight faced pulling Mar-Vell's chain.

A Rhodey cameo has to happen. Even in the first film. And honestly, I think cameos, especially from MCU supporting characters to bolster new properties might be a great idea. I agree, the alcoholism won't fly. Maybe some meta-alcoholism like Tony's poison in IM 2, perhaps she's losing control of her powers in the proverbial second one. That would be new and cool.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #339
cph9fa
Side-Kick

I try to look at "film-worthy" stories not so much as being better or worse, but rather in terms of choosing the right medium for the story that needs to be told. There are only so many films that Marvel can make in a year, so they have to prioritize them carefully.

Their current films focus on the big, epic, cinematic, larger-than-life properties, which translate into high visual-effects blockbusters, and which can't be done properly on a small screen. In addition, they have to focus on the overall story they're trying to tell. For phase 1 that meant introducing the "big four" Avengers. Moving forward, that means expanding into the cosmic side of things, towards an ultimate confrontation with Thanos, as well maintaining sequels for established franchises.

With absolutely no disrespect to the "street-level" heroes, they can probably be depicted quite well without the big-budget effects of, say, Thor or Iron Man, so there's less necessity for Marvel to dedicate one of their precious few movie slots to them. The fact that Marvel is making series for them is, I think, testament enough to the popularity and worthiness of these stories. There are even some pros: even a single-season series will give these characters more time to be developed than the film characters have.

Whether Carol gets a movie anytime soon (and I do have my doubts), she at least fits into Marvell's current film mold better than a street-level hero.

Anyway, on to a Captain Marvel film. Yes to the Col. Rhodes cameo, definitely. And I suppose Dr. Who could work as a template, though I've never watched it myself. It seems a bit too wibbly-wobbly for my tastes, but my sister is a huge fan.

There's been plenty of talk about who should play Carol, but what about Mar-Vell? There's been some variability to his appearance in the comics, so there is some lee-way here. Originally, as Dr. Lawson, he appeared as an older gentleman, with short silvery hair and a square jaw (actually, not dissimilar to George Clooney). Then at some point, he got "cosmic awareness" which caused his hair to become blond and wavy, seemingly taking at least 20 years off his appearance.

OK, first lets get the mandatory first-choice out of the way: Nathan Fillion!

With that out of the way, I'll suggest they keep him older; a veteran war-hero. Since the part would be for a supporting role in a single movie (rather than a recurring lead role) Marvel could go for a bigger "star-power" name if they chose. That would also place an emphasis on his death. They also like to go for actors who are enthusiastic about their roles.

This may be a bit out of left-field, but ever since I've heard he wanted to play a superhero, I've had the thought that Tom Hanks could pull off an aloof yet charming Kree warrior who is destined to die tragically. But I'm pretty bad at fan-casting, so give me some alternatives.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #340
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

For Mar-vell:

Nicholaj Coster-Waldau
Josh Holloway
Aaron Eckhart
Karl Urban

Hmmm… I'm drawing a blank of mid-early 40s actors who could pull off the look. Although they don't have to necessarily stick to the white/blond hair template for the character.

For as much flack as people give Marvel that's a pretty freaking great group of filmmakers. Kind of feel spoiled."

--Chewy
Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #341
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

I know it's not going to happen but I've been mauling over the idea that Agent 13 in Winter Soldier isn't Sharon but actually Carol.

How would you receive such a twist/surprise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #342
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

i wish that Mystique was usable for a Ms.Marvel/Captain Marvel movie. she's like one of her only mastermind villains.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #343
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
I know it's not going to happen but I've been mauling over the idea that Agent 13 in Winter Soldier isn't Sharon but actually Carol.

How would you receive such a twist/surprise?
As it is with the Wonder Woman movie, I want a woman, not a kid.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #344
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
She's 27 years old...she's not a kid. I swear, some people want everyone to be 40 in these things.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #345
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
Well, we already know from AoS that SHIELD isn't above hiring a bunch of kids... (I'm kidding! I really enjoy AoS!)

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #346
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
I try to look at "film-worthy" stories not so much as being better or worse, but rather in terms of choosing the right medium for the story that needs to be told. There are only so many films that Marvel can make in a year, so they have to prioritize them carefully.

Their current films focus on the big, epic, cinematic, larger-than-life properties, which translate into high visual-effects blockbusters, and which can't be done properly on a small screen. In addition, they have to focus on the overall story they're trying to tell. For phase 1 that meant introducing the "big four" Avengers. Moving forward, that means expanding into the cosmic side of things, towards an ultimate confrontation with Thanos, as well maintaining sequels for established franchises.

With absolutely no disrespect to the "street-level" heroes, they can probably be depicted quite well without the big-budget effects of, say, Thor or Iron Man, so there's less necessity for Marvel to dedicate one of their precious few movie slots to them. The fact that Marvel is making series for them is, I think, testament enough to the popularity and worthiness of these stories. There are even some pros: even a single-season series will give these characters more time to be developed than the film characters have.

Whether Carol gets a movie anytime soon (and I do have my doubts), she at least fits into Marvell's current film mold better than a street-level hero.

Anyway, on to a Captain Marvel film. Yes to the Col. Rhodes cameo, definitely. And I suppose Dr. Who could work as a template, though I've never watched it myself. It seems a bit too wibbly-wobbly for my tastes, but my sister is a huge fan.

There's been plenty of talk about who should play Carol, but what about Mar-Vell? There's been some variability to his appearance in the comics, so there is some lee-way here. Originally, as Dr. Lawson, he appeared as an older gentleman, with short silvery hair and a square jaw (actually, not dissimilar to George Clooney). Then at some point, he got "cosmic awareness" which caused his hair to become blond and wavy, seemingly taking at least 20 years off his appearance.

OK, first lets get the mandatory first-choice out of the way: Nathan Fillion!

With that out of the way, I'll suggest they keep him older; a veteran war-hero. Since the part would be for a supporting role in a single movie (rather than a recurring lead role) Marvel could go for a bigger "star-power" name if they chose. That would also place an emphasis on his death. They also like to go for actors who are enthusiastic about their roles.

This may be a bit out of left-field, but ever since I've heard he wanted to play a superhero, I've had the thought that Tom Hanks could pull off an aloof yet charming Kree warrior who is destined to die tragically. But I'm pretty bad at fan-casting, so give me some alternatives.
I kind of liked Armie Hammer for either Captain Marvel or Adam Warlock, but after the Lone Ranger, Disney won't touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

Last edited by KangConquers; 11-19-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #347
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Lol, Dr. Who is very wibbly-wobbly, I wouldn't copy any of the style of the show, but the way they have this character that is so knowing but seems so erratic and is actually crazy like a fox, without seeming crazy so much as eccentric, I think that's brilliant and makes a ton of sense for a smart but good guy alien. The fact that his alleigances are so easily shaded add a lot of texture to this species traitor.

As for casting Mar-Vell, I think Aaron Eckhart is a great pick, I think Hanks might be a bit old at nearing 60. There's a reason the comics took 20 years off his age before making him a hero. Someone who I think would be incredibly compelling is Matt Damon. He would be a Hyoooooge win, and pretty much ensure success.

On Agent 13, as much as I want to see Carol, I don't think she'd be best served by being a Captain America supporting cast member. Let Sharon Carter be Sharon Carter, and let Carol Danvers be Carol Danvers. I'd hope to see Carol established in the background of several movies and on Agents of SHIELD (kids and all) Agent Coulson style. That'd be ideal, but she could just make a splash with her film, that's an option too.

Mystique would be nice, but Karla Sofen makes for a great mastermind villain, as does Henry Peter Gyrich and MODOK for that matter. The lack of Mystique and Deathbird and the Brood is unfortunate, but if the Inhumans can stand in for the mutants for the Avengers, perhaps she can get involved in some of their problems since the mutants' problems are unavailable.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #348
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd hope to see Carol established in the background of several movies and on Agents of SHIELD (kids and all) Agent Coulson style.
For that matter, Agent May is actually pretty close to Danvers in terms of skills and personality.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #349
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

She is. When I first saw that casting announcement I was like... Carol? Is that you? Somehow I could tell it was meant to be played non-white, but other than that, I'm like, this is Carol.

Ward and May could have very easily been Quartermain and Danvers, imho. That said, I'm sure a 'replacement' pilot during a Melinda May focus episode could be interesting. I think seeing her do some piloting for Captain America on a mission in Cap 3 could be fun, testing out some aircraft for Stark Industries, going on a SWORD strike mission that crosses paths with GOTG and/or Thor... could be fun, possibly, even if not in all those places.

OR she could do a full 3-6 episode recurring run/story arc on Agents of SHIELD, could also be interesting. Heck, who knows, by the time she get sher movie she could be a guest on Jessica Jones or Luke Cage too.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #350
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
She's 27 years old...she's not a kid. I swear, some people want everyone to be 40 in these things.
James Bond was written to be in his 40's when he became a 00 agent.
With age comes experience.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote