The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #26
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Respectfully, Shika, I see NO reason why they wouldn't work. I certainly hope you're not going to say "Well Superman doesn't wear them here so Batman shouldn't either" as I think that's nonsense.

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*
Bathead is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #27
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D
 
Majik1387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Theme Park central
Posts: 38,769
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Simple answer; because the trunks look stupid.

Majik1387 is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #28
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,674
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Respectfully, Shika, I see NO reason why they wouldn't work. I certainly hope you're not going to say "Well Superman doesn't wear them here so Batman shouldn't either" as I think that's nonsense.
I was about to say just that. It would look ridiculous for Superman to not wear them and for Batman to wear them. Batman is seen as darker and edgier than Superman and also as a much bigger badass (for the record, being more badass =/= being a better character so calm down, Superman fans). It would be ridiculous to portray Batman as just that with the trunks while the superhero who is more of a boyscout lacks them. If both of them had the trunks, it would work. If both didn't, it would work. Heck, even if Superman had them and Batman didn't, I still think it would work to an extent. But I don't think most people will be able to take things seriously if Batman has them but Superman doesn't.

Keep in mind that if you give Batman the trunks, Batman and Wonder Woman will be the only superheroes by the time JL rolls around to wear their briefs on the outside. The latter has them on the outside because her superhero outfit lack long pants in the first place. Then it would get worse when/if they characterize Batman as a demon in human form and the least human JL member at heart, which is what he is often portrayed as in comics. People will question it and find it a bit silly.

This is all just my opinion, of course.

Shikamaru is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #29
A&W
Side-Kick
 
A&W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,174
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Batman should have trunks in this inverse. Your picking it apart way too much. Superman will probably have them in the JL film

__________________
Well let's send them a message. That this..... THIS IS OUR LAND!!!!!!!!!!!
A&W is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #30
theShape
Creature of Darkness
 
theShape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Inside your mind.
Posts: 10,957
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Wrong. There are plenty of fans that like the trunks that have been a part of the costume for over seventy years.
Your title of "The Oldest Geek" leads me to believe you have been a Batfan for several decades. I think I once saw you mention something about your age, and if my memory serves me correctly, you might really be the oldest Batman fan here?

If so, I just want to say that I'm sorry you will most likely never see Batman's trunks on a live action version of the character before the end of your lifetime (not counting West's).

You say there's no reason trunks wouldn't work, and maybe you're right. There is no legitimate way to discredit them, and if a filmmakers really wanted to, he/she might be able to make the trunks work. But let's just be logical here. It's probably not going to happen this go-around. Does not seem likely at all, so the trunk supports should once again brace themselves for a lack of trunks on this new Batman.

__________________
Past the point of no return...
theShape is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #31
D.P.
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagotham
Posts: 2,452
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3



I mean, Arkham gets it right...right?

Due to the psuedo-realistic art style/graphics, I think the best bet is to use Arkham as a source of inspiration moving forward.



Not anything that hasn't been suggested before, but isn't it pretty obvious?





I mean, we'll always debate this until the end of time due to preference, but if we all can't agree on this, then something is wrong.

In conjunction with this (Which has been posted a million times):



Quote from artist:

Quote:
THIS IMAGE: I wanted Batman to be composed of triangular shapes to emphasize how dangerous he is. I also didn't want to draw him big and bulky because in my version he's primarily an acrobat, not a bodybuilder. He's constantly doing flips and jumping off rooftops, so he'd be extremely lean. I also gave him the more armored costume because

1) It looks cool

2) Having an outfit that looks more like protective gear while everyone else is wearing more "costume-y" outfits visually reinforces the fact that he's human and mortal. It reminds us that he NEEDS this to protect him and that's a trait that I (and I think most people) like about batman.

I also made Batman's skin even more pale here than in the Bruce Wayne pic to further emphasize the lack of warmth in Batman, and it also helped to add more contrast against the darkness of his suit. I like the idea of his face being that one little speck of pale, cold, humanity peeking out from this huge enveloping shroud of darkness.


Last edited by D.P.; 08-09-2013 at 01:30 AM.
D.P. is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #32
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Simple answer; because the trunks look stupid.
No, they don't.

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*
Bathead is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #33
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Your title of "The Oldest Geek" leads me to believe you have been a Batfan for several decades. I think I once saw you mention something about your age, and if my memory serves me correctly, you might really be the oldest Batman fan here?

If so, I just want to say that I'm sorry you will most likely never see Batman's trunks on a live action version of the character before the end of your lifetime (not counting West's).

You say there's no reason trunks wouldn't work, and maybe you're right. There is no legitimate way to discredit them, and if a filmmakers really wanted to, he/she might be able to make the trunks work. But let's just be logical here. It's probably not going to happen this go-around. Does not seem likely at all, so the trunk supports should once again brace themselves for a lack of trunks on this new Batman.
A. Yes you're right, I am an old fart Batfan, been a fan since BEFORE Adam West came around. And, I suppose that's part of the reason I prefer the trunks, I'm just so used to seeing them after about 50 years of being a Bat-fan, that the suit just looks really odd to me without them.
B. Yes you are probably right, I have my doubts as to whether I'll ever see a live-action Batsuit with the trunks and I'm actually OK with that, as long as the suit is well designed otherwise. (I kinda like the new "52" design) It just bothers me when I see people saying such things like the trunks "won't work" in a movie ,whatever the hell that's supposed to mean, or such monumentally childish reasons like they "look stupid".

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*
Bathead is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #34
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Has anybody ever tried a Batman suit manip based on Nite Owl?

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #35
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I was about to say just that. It would look ridiculous for Superman to not wear them and for Batman to wear them. Batman is seen as darker and edgier than Superman and also as a much bigger badass (for the record, being more badass =/= being a better character so calm down, Superman fans). It would be ridiculous to portray Batman as just that with the trunks while the superhero who is more of a boyscout lacks them. If both of them had the trunks, it would work. If both didn't, it would work. Heck, even if Superman had them and Batman didn't, I still think it would work to an extent. But I don't think most people will be able to take things seriously if Batman has them but Superman doesn't.

Keep in mind that if you give Batman the trunks, Batman and Wonder Woman will be the only superheroes by the time JL rolls around to wear their briefs on the outside. The latter has them on the outside because her superhero outfit lack long pants in the first place. Then it would get worse when/if they characterize Batman as a demon in human form and the least human JL member at heart, which is what he is often portrayed as in comics. People will question it and find it a bit silly.

This is all just my opinion, of course.
I still don't see it as logical that because Supes doesn't have the trunks, it would look out of place if Batman did. Superman is an alien with alien designed clothing and Batman is about as "down to earth" as you can get. Small differences in their uniform makes more sense. I would think one of the major themes in the movie would be the differences between the two characters both stylistically, thematically, and psychologically. Having Batman wear his trunks would be one small way of adding to that theme. And if when they do the JL movie, so what if its only Bats and Diana have the trunks (unless they go old school and give Aquaman his black trunks for a third trunks wearer)? And the only ones I see finding it silly are those that already hate the trunks anyway.
Anyway, as I said in my other post, I understand that it's highly unlikely the trunks will make it to the screen, and I'm OK with that. But at least I would like to think there is no legitimate reason why they couldn't at some point. And, up to now I have yet to see anyone come up with truly compelling reason why the trunks could not work in a live-action film.

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*

Last edited by Bathead; 08-09-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Bathead is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #36
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,878
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Simple answer; because the trunks look stupid.
Not really, No.

They CAN look stupid, but it really depends on the execution.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #37
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,878
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post


I mean, Arkham gets it right...right?

Due to the psuedo-realistic art style/graphics, I think the best bet is to use Arkham as a source of inspiration moving forward.



Not anything that hasn't been suggested before, but isn't it pretty obvious?





I mean, we'll always debate this until the end of time due to preference, but if we all can't agree on this, then something is wrong.

In conjunction with this (Which has been posted a million times):



Quote from artist:
Recent reports (which seem to hold weight do to the timing of DC's announcements) said that prior to the Batman/Superman movie being announced, WB planned to have a new Batman film in 2016 based heavily on the Arkham games, but when it was decided to have MOS2 feature Batman , they decided to do an Arkham movie still, but in animated form (Batman: Assault on Arkham) and for 2014 instead.

My point is, if that is true, we could see some Akrham game influence moving forward.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #38
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Now, I really hate the trunks, but I find it funny that Singer (who's being blamed for the X-outfits) actually used the trunks in a post-BB world. Love it.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #39
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep
 
Uroboric Forms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 961
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

There are plenty of believable reasons you can conjure up in favour of the trunks on Batman (crotch protection, a harness for if he attaches the grapnel to his belt to reel himself up, etc) and and black against grey is far less jarring in a modern, live-action sense. I have nothing against Superman wearing the trunks, but it wouldn't have worked with the MOS suit. With Batman, I don't think this is the case.

Uroboric Forms is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #40
D.P.
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagotham
Posts: 2,452
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Recent reports (which seem to hold weight do to the timing of DC's announcements) said that prior to the Batman/Superman movie being announced, WB planned to have a new Batman film in 2016 based heavily on the Arkham games, but when it was decided to have MOS2 feature Batman , they decided to do an Arkham movie still, but in animated form (Batman: Assault on Arkham) and for 2014 instead.

My point is, if that is true, we could see some Akrham game influence moving forward.
I think it would be a smart move considering the Arkham-verse seems to toe the line between fantasy and reality.

You can satisfy both sides of the fanbase. The realists and those who want to see rogues like Croc and Freeze.

In terms of the Batsuit though, I think they've nailed it.

D.P. is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #41
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,720
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
I mean, Arkham gets it right...right?

No, it doesn't. That looks absolutely hideous. It is even more ugly and bulky than the TDKR suit, but with the added insult of those extraneous Robocop style gauntlets.

I feel sure that the AA design is reposted so much because, apart from those seen in the Nolan movies, it is the only one that people know. There has to be an explanation like that for the continued advancement of something so foul.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #42
D.P.
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagotham
Posts: 2,452
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
No, it doesn't. That looks absolutely hideous. It is even more ugly and bulky than the TDKR suit, but with the added insult of those extraneous Robocop style gauntlets.

I feel sure that the AA design is reposted so much because, apart from those seen in the Nolan movies, it is the only one that people know. There has to be an explanation like that for the continued advancement of something so foul.
How do you feel about the design minus the bulk?

D.P. is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #43
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep
 
Uroboric Forms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 961
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Hey what's wrong with Robocop

Uroboric Forms is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #44
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,720
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
How do you feel about the design minus the bulk?
Minus the bulk and the crappy proportions, it is the comicbook suit, with ugly gauntlets. There is nothing specific in its favour. We might as well just say that we want the comicbook suit. Which is a pretty good idea, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
Hey what's wrong with Robocop
He isn't Batman. That's reason enough for anyone to feel ashamed of themselves.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #45
D.P.
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicagotham
Posts: 2,452
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Minus the bulk and the crappy proportions, it is the comicbook suit, with ugly gauntlets. There is nothing specific in its favour. We might as well just say that we want the comicbook suit. Which is a pretty good idea, really.
Well, it executes the segmentation and texture well, so there's that. Trying to make a 1 of 1 comic book suit could easily end up looking like cheap spandex if it isn't handled properly. The cowl is one of the better cowls I've seen outside of the pages of a comic.

As far as the guantlets, I don't hate them, but I think they could be justifiable in order for Batman to carry more gadgets on his person. I don't think the belt is enough. Extra 'rangs, etc.

I don't aim to change your mind in regards to the guantlets though, as you've demonstrated time and time again how much you hate them on the forums. Just offering some rationale for them.

D.P. is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #46
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Well, it executes the segmentation and texture well, so there's that. Trying to make a 1 of 1 comic book suit could easily end up looking like cheap spandex if it isn't handled properly. The cowl is one of the better cowls I've seen outside of the pages of a comic.

As far as the guantlets, I don't hate them, but I think they could be justifiable in order for Batman to carry more gadgets on his person. I don't think the belt is enough. Extra 'rangs, etc.

I don't aim to change your mind in regards to the guantlets though, as you've demonstrated time and time again how much you hate them on the forums. Just offering some rationale for them.
Well, that rationale would still work, even if you greatly reduce the bulk on both the gauntlets and boots, and give the body more realistic proportions. At that point he Arkham suit would indeed actually be the comics suit, which would be fine with me also, but the thing about the Arkham suit I find compelling is the material the body suit is made of looks like a material that could be highly protective, and yet flexible enough that Batman could pull off the gymnastic moves he's famous for, which has never really been properly portrayed on screen before.

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*
Bathead is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #47
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,720
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Yes, the use of something implies to be tough fabric is fine.

Batman has a large area to stow gadgets, between his back and the cape. Anything could be there- he could pull a trombone out from behind his back. I am against cluttering his costume up with pouches, or bulking it out, in a Rob Liefeld style.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #48
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,067
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
No, it doesn't. That looks absolutely hideous. It is even more ugly and bulky than the TDKR suit, but with the added insult of those extraneous Robocop style gauntlets.

I feel sure that the AA design is reposted so much because, apart from those seen in the Nolan movies, it is the only one that people know. There has to be an explanation like that for the continued advancement of something so foul.
Thank you.

I can't stand the art direction / costume design in these games.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #49
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Anything could be there- he could pull a trombone out from behind his back.
Ah, the way the Highlander TV series of ole did it.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #50
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,554
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Thank you.

I can't stand the art direction / costume design in these games.
I don't have a problem with any of the costumes, except Bane. The real problem was using Wildstorm to copy Jim Lee's art style, but only as a halfway point.

Still it works in the established world contextually.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.