The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #51
Harrier
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

The gauntlets are fine with me, although in live action you would need to tone them down a bit. The only thing I don't like as much is the boots.

Other than that, what they've done in the Arkham games is the most believable Batman suit I've seen.

Watch some videos online of the BTAS in the game, or even the 70's one and see how silly they look.

For that matter the Batman Beyond Suit in the game also looks weird, although I've always disliked that one to begin with.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #52
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The gauntlets are fine with me, although in live action you would need to tone them down a bit. The only thing I don't like as much is the boots.

Other than that, what they've done in the Arkham games is the most believable Batman suit I've seen.

Watch some videos online of the BTAS in the game, or even the 70's one and see how silly they look.

For that matter the Batman Beyond Suit in the game also looks weird, although I've always disliked that one to begin with.
These aren't the only options.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #53
regwec
Shakespearo

Yes. Why do people assume we need to lift something from a videogame, rather than start from scratch and use the comicbook original as a starting point for a new design?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #54
Harrier
Side-Kick

I'm saying if you started from scratch, coming up with something like the Arkham games would be good.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #55
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

The Batsuit should be like this, only with a thicker, more durable material/kevlar influence .

PS. I don't mind ditching the briefs.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #56
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
No, it doesn't. That looks absolutely hideous. It is even more ugly and bulky than the TDKR suit, but with the added insult of those extraneous Robocop style gauntlets.

I feel sure that the AA design is reposted so much because, apart from those seen in the Nolan movies, it is the only one that people know. There has to be an explanation like that for the continued advancement of something so foul.
Or cuz it's the closest to the comics we have in a more 'live action' look?

It's a nice compromise, rubber and thick, but with the color and personality of the comic look.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #57
regwec
Shakespearo

It is no more "live action" than the comics themselves- the materials are all just the work of an artist, and the proportions are less realistic than those commonly seen in comics.

Rubber is a ridiculously unrealistic, impractical, ugly and immoveable material to use. The game might get away with it by being able to "cheat" with animation, but for an actor wearing a costume, it is a big mistake.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Yes. That's why I prefer cloth, but with Arkham EARS. Adding some texture to this design would make it perfect, IMO.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #59
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, it doesn't. That looks absolutely hideous. It is even more ugly and bulky than the TDKR suit, but with the added insult of those extraneous Robocop style gauntlets.

I feel sure that the AA design is reposted so much because, apart from those seen in the Nolan movies, it is the only one that people know. There has to be an explanation like that for the continued advancement of something so foul.
I don't mean to put you on the spot but this is like the third time I asked you this question: What is so hideous or bulky looking about the Arkham suit other than the gauntlets and boots? I admit those are way too bulky but take those away and the suit is pretty much the fabric suit of the comics.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #60
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
I still don't see it as logical that because Supes doesn't have the trunks, it would look out of place if Batman did. Superman is an alien with alien designed clothing and Batman is about as "down to earth" as you can get. Small differences in their uniform makes more sense. I would think one of the major themes in the movie would be the differences between the two characters both stylistically, thematically, and psychologically. Having Batman wear his trunks would be one small way of adding to that theme. And if when they do the JL movie, so what if its only Bats and Diana have the trunks (unless they go old school and give Aquaman his black trunks for a third trunks wearer)? And the only ones I see finding it silly are those that already hate the trunks anyway.
Anyway, as I said in my other post, I understand that it's highly unlikely the trunks will make it to the screen, and I'm OK with that. But at least I would like to think there is no legitimate reason why they couldn't at some point. And, up to now I have yet to see anyone come up with truly compelling reason why the trunks could not work in a live-action film.
Batman's outfit should look just as inhuman as Superman's Kryptonian outfit since his whole purpose was to not look human and give off the impression that he is a giant bat-monster/demon. As for showing how the difference in their psychologies, that's another reason why I don't think the trunks will work. Superman is more human at heart than Batman is (at least in modern times) and if they go that direction in the movies too, the trunks wouldn't fit too well with that IMO.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #61
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Well, the did design Batman's physique as being hugely out of proportion, but that's all I can see for it. It's actually one of the sleeker armored designs I've seen, and clearly it looks cooler than the TA Captain America suit some people want to adapt.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #62
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I don't mean to put you on the spot but this is like the third time I asked you this question: What is so hideous or bulky looking about the Arkham suit other than the gauntlets and boots? I admit those are way too bulky but take those away and the suit is pretty much the fabric suit of the comics.
Sorry not to have replied more fully before. The cranium is disproportionately undersized which, coupled with the antennae ears come from the top of the head rather than the sides, makes Batman look like a tic. The neck is comically thick, mlike a silver back's. The belt buckle is larger than the pouches, which is silly. The proportions overall are terrible, and although not strictly part of the suit, they do make it look even worse. Add in the absurd boots and gauntlets, and you have a lot of fail.

As I have said many times, if you take away everything terrible about the AA suit, you are just left with a vanilla comic book costume. Which would be fine.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #63
A&W
Side-Kick

Quote:
A. Yes you're right, I am an old fart Batfan, been a fan since BEFORE Adam West came around. And, I suppose that's part of the reason I prefer the trunks, I'm just so used to seeing them after about 50 years of being a Bat-fan, that the suit just looks really odd to me without them. I
B. Yes you are probably right, I have my doubts as to whether I'll ever see a live-action Batsuit with the trunks and I'm actually OK with that, as long as the suit is well designed otherwise. (I kinda like the new "52" design) It just bothers me when I see people saying such things like the trunks "won't work" in a movie ,whatever the hell that's supposed to mean, or such monumentally childish reasons like they "look stupid".
your age is irrelevant. Bring on the trunks!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #64
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorry not to have replied more fully before. The cranium is disproportionately undersized which, coupled with the antennae ears come from the top of the head rather than the sides, makes Batman look like a tic. The neck is comically thick, mlike a silver back's. The belt buckle is larger than the pouches, which is silly. The proportions overall are terrible, and although not strictly part of the suit, they do make it look even worse. Add in the absurd boots and gauntlets, and you have a lot of fail.

As I have said many times, if you take away everything terrible about the AA suit, you are just left with a vanilla comic book costume. Which would be fine.
Other than the gauntlets and boots (which I already addressed), the majority of your complaints are about Batman's physique as opposed to the suit itself. The complaints that do apply to the suit itself (i.e. belt buckle) are for the most part really minor and could easily be altered (again, I already addressed the gauntlets and boots).

Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #65
A&W
Side-Kick

People say bats needs armour because he is human. Tony stark needs armour. Batman is way out of iron man's leage. Batman doesn't need thrusters or rocket launchers or a mechanical suit. That is not what the character is about.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #66
A&W
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ Yes. That's why I prefer cloth, but with Arkham EARS. Adding some texture to this design would make it perfect, IMO.
that is perfect!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #67
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Other than the gauntlets and boots (which I already addressed), the majority of your complaints are about Batman's physique as opposed to the suit itself. The complaints that do apply to the suit itself (i.e. belt buckle) are for the most part really minor and could easily be altered (again, I already addressed the gauntlets and boots).
Right. So, if we gave him different boots, gauntlets, ears, neck, belt, and different proportions so that what's left didn't look as awful, all would be well.

But then we just have the comic book original, don't we? Take away all the ugly features listed above, and you just have the comicbook suit, with a couple of rivets.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #68
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Right. So, if we gave him different boots, gauntlets, ears, neck, belt, and different proportions so that what's left didn't look as awful, all would be well.

But then we just have the comic book original, don't we? Take away all the ugly features listed above, and you just have the comicbook suit, with a couple of rivets.
In my opinion, just putting another person in the suit (one with normal body proportions) plus getting rid of the boots and gauntlets would be enough. I would also fix the belt buckle, now that you pointed it out .

Old 08-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #69
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Yes, the use of something implies to be tough fabric is fine.

Batman has a large area to stow gadgets, between his back and the cape. Anything could be there- he could pull a trombone out from behind his back. I am against cluttering his costume up with pouches, or bulking it out, in a Rob Liefeld style.
LOL, I call that the "Bugs Bunny Syndrome", where Bugs will reach around to his back and pull out something like a six-foot long sledge hammer seemingly out of nowhere.

*splat*

Last edited by Bathead; 08-09-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #70
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Batman's outfit should look just as inhuman as Superman's Kryptonian outfit since his whole purpose was to not look human and give off the impression that he is a giant bat-monster/demon. As for showing how the difference in their psychologies, that's another reason why I don't think the trunks will work. Superman is more human at heart than Batman is (at least in modern times) and if they go that direction in the movies too, the trunks wouldn't fit too well with that IMO.
Well I just simply disagree with all of that, but at least you've put some thought into it, other than the usual simplistic and childish "The Underoos look stoopid" that seems to be a common sentiment here.

*splat*
Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #71
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I just simply disagree with all of that, but at least you've put some thought into it, other than the usual simplistic and childish "The Underoos look stoopid" that seems to be a common sentiment here.
Fair enough.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #72
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&W View Post
People say bats needs armour because he is human. Tony stark needs armour. Batman is way out of iron man's leage. Batman doesn't need thrusters or rocket launchers or a mechanical suit. That is not what the character is about.
He should have light armor that can withstand bullets and knife puncture. His cowl should be as durable as a motorcycle helmet.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #73
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
He should have light armor that can withstand bullets and knife puncture. His cowl should be as durable as a motorcycle helmet.
Yeah. Though he SHOULD have a robot suit for fighting Superman. When he isn't he should have his regular outfit.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #74
D.P.
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah. Though he SHOULD have a robot suit for fighting Superman. When he isn't he should have his regular outfit.
I think that might border on corny if he has a full robotic suit. General audience will view it as an Iron Man rip off.

I would have him wear armor additions on top of his existing lightweight fabric suit like the picture I have already posted here:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

That's where the bulky boots and guantlets that regwec hates so much can come into play and make a bit more sense.

Quote:

I think you aversion to the Arkham suit has less to do with the actual design but with the art direction as a whole.

The big, bulky, meat-head looking character models can be seen all throughout the game. All of Joker's goons are 6'5" and 300 lbs. I'm not a fan of it either.

I'm looking past that at this juncture though.

Quote:
Yes. Why do people assume we need to lift something from a videogame, rather than start from scratch and use the comicbook original as a starting point for a new design?
I don't think anything needs to be lifted from a video game literally piece by piece. I think it's a good 3D representation of what the grey cloth/armor suit can look like, therefore making it a good reference point when trying to create a live action version.

This is as close to seeing the grey suit brought to life we have gotten thus far, so I'd rather appreciate it the good aspects of it for what they are. Obviously things can/should be changed.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Yes, it's essentially the comic suit in some ways, but looking at something on the page in 2D can only go so far.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #75
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
And removing the outer-undies.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Closed Thread