The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,172
Default What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Saw this thread on IMDB and figured I should make one here. This response was perfect and I deffinately agree with it:

Quote:
1) The continuity

2) Their hability to juggle different subgenres, different tones with different directors with relative consistent success whilst paying respect to the source material.

3) Their hability to chose the perfect casting, actors that are charismatic.

4) Their ability to translate the real sense of companionship and real friendship between actors when it's about TA or even GOTG. It seems to me than that element is one of the main reason of TA success. You could feel that they had a blast and are really close buddies. You feel like you wanna be part of the group because they really get on well together.
Even though haven been perfect (I disliked IM2 very much and the first half of AoS was meh), they have managed to make consistenly good and entertaining films. They have yet to make a truly 'bad' film imo. They're aren't afraid to take risks and moving out of their comfort zones, and always give the fans what they want. It's really amazing what they've managed to do in 6 years. I'm excited for AOU and Ant-Man.

What are your thoughts? My ranking for the MCU films:

1. Captain America : The Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man 3
3. The Avengers
4. Guardians Of The Galaxy
5. Iron Man
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Captain america: The First Avenger
8. Thor
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 2


__________________
"I'm going to show you something beautiful, everyone screaming for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings...Strings...There are no strings on me"- Ultron

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,826
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

The optimistic tone. Not only do the heroes save the world, but it is a world worth saving.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,061
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I love that they tried and it worked. I mean, the only reason we are 10 movies in with 5 more in production and 10 more on the horizon is because they are successful.

I love that people like them. It seems like I can have conversations with everyday girls and even my parents about Thor and Captain America and Rocket Raccoon and the MCU is a big reason for that.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Nokio
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,170
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I love that Marvel proved good movies can be made based off comics and not looked at as cheesy and for kids.

Marvel stayed as close as possible to the source material and made changes that was needed for a smother adaption to film despite being based more off the Ultimate universe with some elements of 616. They did a very good job.

How Marvel tied all the films together to show they are in a shared universe.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 470
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I love pretty much everything, the fact they had the guts to pull off a shared cinematic universe, and it works soooo well, the fact they haven't made a bad movie yet, granted all their movies are not brilliant, but none are terrible, the casting choices, Robert Downey JR as IronMan has become what Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine, you just can't imagine anyone else doing it because they nail the role.

The MCU has turned me into a little bit of a hater for what other studios are doing with Marvel properties, Sony is the worst, TASM2 was appalling, who knows what Fox is gonna bring us with the new FF reboot, and I lost a lot of love for the X-Men movies a while ago, although DOFP was alright, it still didn't bring me back to the fold, and it's all because Marvel Studios keep making good movies and I just don't understand why other studios can't do the same, people want Marvel Studios to have the rights back to these characters mostly because they want to see them on screen with the current MCU lineup, for me, I want them back because I just want to see these characters in a decent movie for a change.

Currently Marvel Studios reigns supreme not only in the comic book movie sense, but also the box office in general, and it's showing no signs of slowing down, if anything, it's speeding up, and I can't wait for all of it.

__________________
BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER
Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,826
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Personally, I appreciate Fox at least a little bit, just for them having the X-Men rights. As long as the X-Men are licensed elsewhere, Marvel won't be tempted to incorporate them into the MCU. And as long as the X-Men aren't incorporated into the MCU, there's not the temptation to slather on "hated and feared by a world they are sworn to protect" cliches onto the MCU.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick
 
Doctor Octopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,633
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

The great characterizations of the heroes.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Drizzle
*Cue Born to Be Wild*
 
Drizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Moon
Posts: 10,677
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

1. What I love most about it is the shared continuity. The fact that Tony Stark, Odin, and Howard the Duck all exist in this same cinematic universe still blows my mind.

2. The casting has been damn near perfect. So many of these actors embody the characters so perfectly that you can't imagine anyone else in the role, like RDJ. Even some of the less well-received performances like Mickey Rourke in IM2 weren't that bad. I've yet to see a Marvel Studios movie where I went "Man, he/she was terrible in that."

3. The amount of respect given to the source material. Gone are the days where superheroes in films had to be given black leather outfits because they "looked cooler" than their comic book costumes (SHIELD outfits notwithstanding) or a cloud Galactus that would be "more believable" than a giant celestial being. Now we have a Thor, Loki, Thanos , etc. who all look like they walked out of the comic pages.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick
 
The_Manhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 621
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

That there are so many different, both short-term and long-term storylines and payoffs, as well as many different types of characters - we have gotten to see stuff from ranging from World War II, to a high tech suit of armor acting as a nuclear deterrent, to the epic Dark Elf invasion of Asgard, to a talking tree and raccoon that have deep, layered portrayals. And one of the best parts about it, is that almost all (nothing is perfect) of this stuff fits pretty naturally within the universe that Marvel has established.

__________________
My Top 10 Superhero Movies
1. The Dark Knight 2. Man of Steel 3. Guardians of the Galaxy 4. The Avengers 5. The Dark Knight Rises 6. Thor: The Dark World 7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8. Batman Begins 9. Thor 10. Iron Man

Last edited by The_Manhunter; 09-06-2014 at 02:51 PM.
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Shakel92
Side-Kick
 
Shakel92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 480
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Quality of product. The " worst" MCU movie is still very good.

#itsallconnected

__________________
MCU > Anything DC
Shakel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,264
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I love that we got Guardians. Fell in love with Guardians back in 2008. Love that we got a WWII movie for Cap unlike the first one. Love the casting, for the most part it's all been very good. Love Thor as a character, Hemsworth does a great job. Love that they aren't the only option for Marvel movies

Most of all I love Groot. Such a lovable killing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
The MCU has turned me into a little bit of a hater for what other studios are doing with Marvel properties.
I feel the opposite.

I enjoy a good few of the movies of the MCU itself but I don't like the disrespect some hardcore fans show to the franchises that kick started the Marvel genre (don't mean you Sexy Magician) and paved the road on which the Marvel drives.

Before the shared universe schtick people just wanted good quality marvel movies and were happy when they came. Now there's an elitist group who dislike and wish to end non-MCU Marvel franchises just because they aren't Marvel Studios and as a fan of most Marvel franchises across all the various studios I don't like that.
Fair enough it's cool to not like a franchise but no X-Men or Spider-Man movie fans ever call for the other Marvel franchises to end and and be given away. The reverse should be the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Gone are the days where superheroes in films had to be given black leather outfits because they "looked cooler" than their comic book costumed.
I don't believe that was the reason. The last superhero movie was Batman & Robin which was a costuming disaster, Bat-Nipples are still lampooned today. Audiences viewed comic book costumes as corny at that point and weren't read for them then. If X-Men had accurate costumes it probably would've flopped and we wouldn't have any Marvel movies today. Even today some comic costumes won't be adapted faithfully (Hawkeye for example) as they are too difficult for the screen.

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-07-2014 at 02:01 AM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,478
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Shared universe, over-all quality control, deserved popularity, comic book accuracy, various genres explored, action set pieces, etc.

There's alot to love.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

It's all been said above, but yeah, what I love most about the MCU is the way that it destroyed the myths about the way CBM movies were "supposed" to work --- i.e., standalone, dark 'n' gritty, nerfing the powersets, downplaying colorful costumes and over-the-top aspects of the comics, focusing on the villain instead of the hero, etc.


The MCU took the opposite approach to the superhero movie than the methods Singer and Nolan used, and proved that a comic-book movie *can* look and feel and act like an honest-to-god comic book, and still be wildly successful. To this end, I commend Sam Raimi, Zack Snyder, and Kevin Feige/Marvel Studios for being the most faithful and loyal to the overall atmosphere of the comic-book superhero universe. Those three guys, in particular, are geeks who make comic-book movies for geeks, and I thank god for them every day.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,498
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I love that they can actually deliver honest-to-goodness great popcorn movies that have humor and wit that work, unlike what the other studios interpret as a "fun" comic book movie, which are basically borderline parodies overflowing with camp and cheese.

Saitou Hajime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #15
Silvermoth
Avenger
 
Silvermoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,909
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I love the extreme size of the universe but also the community that gives me something to talk about with fellow geeks

__________________
Mutant and proud.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #16
Puny Parker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 90
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Their films are seriously great fun, and are well written - they're devoting effort into building and expanding this universes with nicely done features. The several tones assigned to every single film - it adds a uniqueness and distinguishes every single film from another.

Puny Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
Oscorp
Side-Kick
 
Oscorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,528
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

The main characters are all so likeable and well written. They're super charismatic and work so well together. That's why it works so well that they're in a shared universe. The actors are perfect for their roles!

The heart put into these films. There is so much fun and love but also intensity. The tone is simply perfect. You can feel the love from everyone involved with most of these films.

Much thanks to what's mentioned above, the MCU is loved by all people, not just comic book fans. That's just incredible given how unknown these were Before to the general audience. That's one thing I love, how everyone's on the train for these!

There's some criticism towards the way Marvel Studios handle villains. That's because MS focuses so much on their main stars, and I think that's also why these films are so successful.

__________________
Yeah they should just cancel the films and not even bother and spend the budget on building a giant statue of toby macguire instead!
-BRAB

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #18
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT
 
Gr0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,115
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Can't really put it better than what some of you have already stated so... Ditto.

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
First Avenger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asgard
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Quality control.
The characters are visually amazing just like the comics.
The sense of fun and wonder mixed with tension and sad moments.
Fantastic casting.
It's all connected: movies,one-shots,TV series...
Every movie has its own tone and genre,there is something for everyone!
The spirit of the comics is respected and some elements are even better.

That's what comes to my mind,but the sure is that I love it as a whole.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick
 
DarthDaveBanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lan-dahn
Posts: 1,103
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Simply put, they realise why we love these characters so much and remain loyal to that.

__________________
You look upset. I like that.
DarthDaveBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #21
Nokio
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,170
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Personally, I appreciate Fox at least a little bit, just for them having the X-Men rights. As long as the X-Men are licensed elsewhere, Marvel won't be tempted to incorporate them into the MCU. And as long as the X-Men aren't incorporated into the MCU, there's not the temptation to slather on "hated and feared by a world they are sworn to protect" cliches onto the MCU.
Then you miss the whole point of the mutant struggle. It's the bain of what they are and the whole point of the team. It's tied in to their history. Fox don't get that and the Xfilms would be much better and closer in tone and feel to the comic.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT
 
Gr0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,115
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

It always seemed stupid that people should hate someone born with powers yet be fine with someone that got them accidentally.

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #23
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick
 
StarkTheProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,171
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I love the fact that MCU takes unknown characters, or "B-listers" and turns them into "A listers." Just look at Iron Man, and now Guardians. It's something fresh.

Plus, I am a believer that it saved the comic book movie industry.

__________________
I Believe in the MCU

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,091
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
I love the fact that MCU takes unknown characters, or "B-listers" and turns them into "A listers." Just look at Iron Man, and now Guardians. It's something fresh.

Plus, I am a believer that it saved the comic book movie industry.
Agreed. I love this. It proves that a character doesn't have to be a big name to draw people as long as the movies are good. Which as you say is vital for the success of the CBM industry because there aren't that many big names.

I love that Guardians of the Galaxy is doing better than TASM2. We want studios getting the idea that great movies are more important than big stars and licenses.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #25
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 470
Default Re: What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I feel the opposite.

I enjoy a good few of the movies of the MCU itself but I don't like the disrespect some hardcore fans show to the franchises that kick started the Marvel genre (don't mean you Sexy Magician) and paved the road on which the Marvel drives.

Before the shared universe schtick people just wanted good quality marvel movies and were happy when they came. Now there's an elitist group who dislike and wish to end non-MCU Marvel franchises just because they aren't Marvel Studios and as a fan of most Marvel franchises across all the various studios I don't like that.
Fair enough it's cool to not like a franchise but no X-Men or Spider-Man movie fans ever call for the other Marvel franchises to end and and be given away. The reverse should be the same
.
I can't argue with you, people say it was Blade, but for me the first X-Men movie shown the world comic book movies can work without being campy and childlike, and there is no doubt in my mind if it wasn't for that we may not have what we have today with the MCU. It's just for me, when these moves came out we didn't really have any other modern superhero movies to compare them to, so when you get major deviations from the source material, like in X-Men for example with the uniforms and the way they ruin potential for great characters by using them as cheap cameos, at the time this was ok and it felt necessary, then came along the MCU, which is pretty faithful to the comics, appearance and character wise and it still works brilliantly, GOTG just proves they are not one bit scared of going to the ridiculous side of Marvel, and they still pull it off whilst I feel other studios are still stuck on trying to bring to much realism and grittiness to these characters and it just falls flat.

I use to feel that any Marvel movie, regardless of studio was a good thing, but after Sonys TASM2 and what looks to be a majorly 'loose' adaptation of the FF over at Fox, it's hard to keep the faith, there is no denying that Marvel Studios just seem to able to add that little bit of extra spice to their movies that make them a cut above the rest, right now I would take a Marvel Studios Spider-Man that doesn't even need to be connected to the rest of the MCU, just so I can finally see a good Spider-Man movie.

__________________
BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER
Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.