The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
paypaytr
Side-Kick

Default Ghost Rider Topic

What will happen to ghost rider in future?
he is my favorite comic book character and i liked first movie(second was **** i know i know)
but i still think first one good comic adaption

marvel bought rights last year february. so they need to use him somehow?

he is more well known and cool character then obscure characters like Luke cage, dr strange and black panther

paypaytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Blackman
C'mon Son

Default Re: Ghost Rider Topic

I think they should reintroduce him in a Midnight Sons movie. Perhaps a Doctor Strange sequel. Doctor Strange: Midnight Sons

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Ghost Rider is my second favorite comic book character I sure hope he's gets another film in the next 5-7 years.

Personally GR's design in the 2nd film was jaw droppingly amazing, I hope the next films keeps that basic design.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 08-05-2014 at 05:52 PM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

his time may come again. maybe in phase 4. maybe with less overacting.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Did Marvel buy back the rights or did they just revert? My understanding was they just reverted and my guess is Marvel will probably not use him for a little while. Maybe eventually, but I don't think they're in any rush.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Sony gave them back after the last movie didn't live up to their expectations

ZWERG/ELF

Old 08-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'd like them to highlight the Spirit of Vengeance concept throughout the ages before they get to Johnny Blaze

A Trail of Tears adaption would be awesome. I wouldn't see Marvel doing it though as it's be dark and in the past, they couldn't keep Cap in WWII for more than one movie sadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Did Marvel buy back the rights or did they just revert? My understanding was they just reverted and my guess is Marvel will probably not use him for a little while. Maybe eventually, but I don't think they're in any rush.
Sony gave them back to Marvel. They could've held onto them as they had no requirement to give them back for another seven years but they chose to hand them back

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 08-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Ghost Rider's a tricky character. He's kinda like the Hulk in that he's expensive to have on screen, you lose the actor's performance and he's not really evenly matched with anyone. He's a force of nature. *Penance Stare* Besides all that, he's not really a superhero in any conventional sense, so he doesn't appeal on that same wavelength.

And then to top it all off, he's not the Hulk. He doesn't tap into that deep anger psyche with bright green colors. He rather taps into that sort of biker and death culture that was really really big in the 90s/GenX heyday, but doesn't appeal as widely now, but it's still y'know, Hellfire and these dark themes, so it doesn't pull in the kids but it's also too comic booky to pull in people who like really dark horror stuff. So it's stuck in the middle in a way.

It's tough as heck to make popular. Sony gave it two solid shots. Like Punisher, Ghost Rider and his really dark criminal killing schtick works as a great, GREAT foil to heroes who believe in things like trials, jailtime, banishment and depowering. Ghost Rider playing the opposite end of Dr. Strange's fiddle would be really cool.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Six
Six Six Six

The character of Ghost Rider would definitely appeal to the Netflix crowd, but the main problem is he would be expensive to do on a tv budget. I'm thinking maybe they are testing the waters with the Defenders. After all, Iron Fist is likely to be just as expensive as a Ghost Rider one would be. He's got his chi powers in, and his dragon fighting stuff.

I wouldn't write it off completely, but I think it will be a while until we see Ghost Rider again.

Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Ghost Rider's a tricky character. He's kinda like the Hulk in that he's expensive to have on screen, you lose the actor's performance and he's not really evenly matched with anyone. He's a force of nature. *Penance Stare* Besides all that, he's not really a superhero in any conventional sense, so he doesn't appeal on that same wavelength.

And then to top it all off, he's not the Hulk. He doesn't tap into that deep anger psyche with bright green colors. He rather taps into that sort of biker and death culture that was really really big in the 90s/GenX heyday, but doesn't appeal as widely now, but it's still y'know, Hellfire and these dark themes, so it doesn't pull in the kids but it's also too comic booky to pull in people who like really dark horror stuff. So it's stuck in the middle in a way.

It's tough as heck to make popular. Sony gave it two solid shots. Like Punisher, Ghost Rider and his really dark criminal killing schtick works as a great, GREAT foil to heroes who believe in things like trials, jailtime, banishment and depowering. Ghost Rider playing the opposite end of Dr. Strange's fiddle would be really cool.
Great post 👍

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
Kiltman
E-list Character

Having him show up in a Midnight Sons or a Thunderbolts movie.

I agree that he'd be best as a cog in a team at this point. If people see him done well maybe give him a movie or mini-series down the line.

Wrote it somewhere else on here but whenever Doctor Strange meets Mephisto, it'd be great for him to say something hinting at making a deal with Johnny Blaze.

Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I think they should reintroduce him in a Midnight Sons movie. Perhaps a Doctor Strange sequel. Doctor Strange: Midnight Sons
This! Go ahead and close the thread!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltman View Post
whenever Doctor Strange meets Mephisto, it'd be great for him to say something hinting at making a deal with Johnny Blaze.
I don't see that happening in the next decade, though. with Strange 1 probably dealing with Mordo and/or Dormammu, with villains like Shumma-Gorath, Satannish or Nightmare or even the Mindless Ones for potential sequels, Mephisto isn't high priority when it comes to Dr. Strange

ZWERG/ELF

Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think part of what they should do is stop turning him into some kind of rogue demon. Instead, have the Ghost Rider entity be an angel of vengeance: just, but terrifying. Play up the idea that good is not nice, but just because its not nice doesn't mean its evil.

Which is to say, please: less Johnny Blaze, more Dan Ketch?

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
Kiltman
E-list Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I don't see that happening in the next decade, though. with Strange 1 probably dealing with Mordo and/or Dormammu, with villains like Shumma-Gorath, Satannish or Nightmare or even the Mindless Ones for potential sequels, Mephisto isn't high priority when it comes to Dr. Strange
Perhaps, but who's to say Mephisto would have to be the main villain.

He touches so many different characters that he would be some nice connective tissue to add to the MCU.

But yea I can't see it happening in this first Strange film. Once audiences buy into the supernatural side of things, which I really think they will if we get a great actor as Strange. I think it's safe to say that is when Ghost Rider, Mephisto, and the whole list of Supernatural characters start to get focused on and added.

Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #16
Blackman
C'mon Son

I agree that Ghost Rider is harder because of all that demonic imagery, etc. Not saying he needs to be R but he is a more adult hero.
I really liked the idea of Ultimate Ghost Rider's origin
Quote:
Young twenty-something couple Johnny Blaze and Roxanne Simpson decided on a cross-country trip across the United States. One day they came across a bar where they befriended a biker gang, who kept buying them beer. The friendship was a ruse as they killed an intoxicated Blaze as part of a Satanic ritual. During the ritual, they bartered their souls with Satan in exchange for wealth and power. Satan granted their request but kept the upper hand. The deceased Blaze also made a deal that Satan will get his soul in exchange for the assured safety of Roxanne. For twenty years Blaze trained to become the Ghost Rider, burning away his Christian baptism and searing away anything that was soft on the inside, and was sent into the world to get his revenge. He tracked down and killed the members of the motorcycle gang—now rich and in positions of power—individually. Due to these deaths, an executive order comes down from the White House: kill the Ghost Rider. The Avengers are recruited into the mission with no knowledge of the Ghost Rider except that he is 7 ft tall and has the strength of Thor.[12] When the Avengers were unsuccessful in stopping the Ghost Rider from killing his next target, the truth behind the Ghost Rider is learned, and the leader of the motorcycle gang is now the Vice-President of the United States, Michael Blackthorne. The Vice-President sold his soul to become a Ghost Rider, AKA Vengeance, and the two get into a fight which the Avengers are unable to stop. Johnny drags the Vice-President into a church which turns them both back into human form, allowing the Punisher to finish off the Vice-President. Pleading his case, Johnny is allowed to leave. He is later seen in a park with Satan watching Roxanne, who was brought back to life with no memory of what was done. Satan agrees to let her live her life if Johnny continues to be his Ghost Rider, to which he agrees.[13]
Obviously there has to be some alterations, like no Avengers, no presidential order, but I like the idea of Ghost Rider being a revenge movie.
Like the Hulk though he should be reintroduced in a team movie.

The best choices for Johnny Blaze are Ryan Kwanten (True Blood) and Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)

Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #17
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^Good choice. Not really feeling the whole Avengers team jobbing for Ghost Rider though. I'm sure just one Avenger would be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Great post 👍
Thanks man.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #18
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

I could really get behind Aaron Paul for Ghost Rider.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #19
Blackman
C'mon Son

No Avenger should be in it.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #20
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Oh sorry, I skipped that paragraph. My bad.

I think the story structure does benefit from a 'straight hero' to emphasize GR's otherness... but then again, that is very Hulk-like, isn't it?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
paypaytr
Side-Kick

Ghost rider still holds up well. Actually people see me little crazy but its much better looking and cinematic than MCU . (Expect GotG). Avengers looking GR1 looks really cheap.

Aaron paul is a very good actor can handle ghost rider very well make him popular again.Skull Hard Rock music these things are still cool if you market them

i hope they dont do him TV show. he is not into this also he doesnt have a lot arc to fulfill TV shows.
it would be boring like AOShield

Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
paypaytr
Side-Kick

Actually GR vs Hulk movie would be awesome

Old 08-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #23
Blackman
C'mon Son

Ghost RIder vs Hulk movie wouldnt be a good move

Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
paypaytr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Ghost RIder vs Hulk movie wouldnt be a good move
it would be atleast better than
Thor 1,2 Captain America 1 IncHulk Iron Man 2,3

thats enough

Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by paypaytr View Post
it would be atleast better than
Thor 1,2 Captain America 1 IncHulk Iron Man 2,3
Not really. Theres no guarantee of that.

Ghost Rider vs Hulk does not feel organic at all. I think introducing GR in Doctor Strange, which I hope/some think will delve more into the supernatural/magic side of the MCU