The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #101
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Default Re: Marvel One-Shots

Yeah, I also think there's a "real" Mandarin out there. I think Kingsley embodied the image and Killian showed the sinister side of his motives (controlling the war, infiltrating the US presidency) but I don't think either was the true Mandarin. There was still someone or something pulling the strings. Maybe this one shot will show that or maybe in AoU or maybe even in Agents of Shield (the Clarvoyant could be that if Centipede is revealed to be AIM).

Or everything is just as it was. I also don't think Marvel is trying to fix any "mistake" that some may have seen with the Mandarin of IM3, because when you look at it outside of fandom it worked really well. But with this phase showing a lot of deception I wouldn't be surprised if there's something/someone else at the top of the 2 Mandarins we got in IM3.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #102
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
Yeah, I also think there's a "real" Mandarin out there. I think Kingsley embodied the image and Killian showed the sinister side of his motives (controlling the war, infiltrating the US presidency) but I don't think either was the true Mandarin. There was still someone or something pulling the strings. Maybe this one shot will show that or maybe in AoU or maybe even in Agents of Shield (the Clarvoyant could be that if Centipede is revealed to be AIM).

Or everything is just as it was. I also don't think Marvel is trying to fix any "mistake" that some may have seen with the Mandarin of IM3, because when you look at it outside of fandom it worked really well. But with this phase showing a lot of deception I wouldn't be surprised if there's something/someone else at the top of the 2 Mandarins we got in IM3.
Not so much fixing a mistake, but as I said, misdirection and planning for the future. We know they're thinking years and years ahead. Much of this has to be planned out already, at least in general terms.

An ancient sorcerer armed with magic alien rings would have been hard to swallow after Iron Man, but not so difficult to grasp after an alien invasion of Earth and the introduction of various other far out concepts.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 AM   #103
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Yeah I don't think IM3 will be the last of The Mandarin in the MCU by any means. I hope we somehow get to see RDJ go up against him in the future. It's sad thinking about him being out of the Tony role after two more appearances, but I know he'll make them memorable.

Oh and I don't think they'd trying to fix a mistake either, but I can already see the droves of people saying that if there is ever revealed to be more to the Mandarin. But as you said, these things are planned out years ahead, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see something more in the future.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #104
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

I just realized that almost each One Shot concerns a character or element from the film that was released before the one the One Shot was released with.

The Consultant, which came with Thor, featured Tony after becoming a consultant at the end of Iron Man 2 during a scene from The Incredible Hulk.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, which came with Captain America The First Avenger, had to do with an event off screen during Thor.

Item 42, which came with The Avengers, seems to be the only one so far that was almost directly related with the film it came with.

Agent Carter, which came with Iron Man 3, featured a character from the last solo film before The Avengers, which was Peggy Carter from Captain America The First Avenger.

Now All Hail the King, which is coming with Thor The Dark World, concerns a character from the previous film, Iron Man 3.

Unless this is all just a coincidence, the Captain America The Winter Soldier blu-ray might probably come with a One Shot concerning Thor The Dark World and Guardians of the Galaxy will have a One Shot concerning Captain America The Winter Soldier.
xD

A:IW1&2/ CA:CW/ T:R/ DS/ I/ A:AoU/ A/ GotG2/ BP/ CM

Last edited by GRangerPrimeNYC; 01-10-2014 at 06:33 AM.
GRangerPrimeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #105
Lord
All Mighty

Yeah, i think they should have tried to plan things in a way to release a short connected with the film it's released in

I want to see more of the Mandarin in the future, be it with Killian or a new mastermind, if they retcon it in a way that Killian too was used then i hope they don't just throw that character off as some bufoon. And if there's a 3rd "real Mandarin" then this time he will have to be chinese.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #106
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I'm digging the idea that Trevor is anticipating reprisals from the Ten Rings. Maybe Killian wasn't the head honcho he made himself out to be?

I mean come on

I myself quite liked IM3 and the Mandarin Twist but if that quote isn't setting up a potential future appearance by the real MCU Mandarin then I will be very surprised. Judging by thet quote Killian clearly didn't make up his entire shtick from nothing. If he based the Mandarin off a real legend we could very well see that explored in the future.

People have been mocked for suggesting that very thing on these boards but it doesn't feel so unlikely to me at this point. The serialization of these films is a very real thing and the idea that they could spend an entire film on misdirection is not as implausible as it once was.

But if that was the case, then why didn't The Real Mandarin/The Real Ten Rings put a quietus to this impostor immediately? I strongly doubt The Real Mandarin would've let this charade last past the first instance.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #107
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
I just realized that almost each One Shot concerns a character or element from the film that was released before the one the One Shot was released with.

The Consultant, which came with Thor, featured Tony after becoming a consultant at the end of Iron Man 2 during a scene from The Incredible Hulk.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, which came with Captain America The First Avenger, had to do with an event off screen during Thor.

Item 42, which came with The Avengers, seems to be the only one so far that was almost directly related with the film it came with.

Agent Carter, which came with Iron Man 3, featured a character from the last solo film before The Avengers, which was Peggy Carter from Captain America The First Avenger.

Now All Hail the King, which is coming with Thor The Dark World, concerns a character from the previous film, Iron Man 3.

Unless this is all just a coincidence, the Captain America The Winter Soldier blu-ray might probably come with a One Shot concerning Thor The Dark World and Guardians of the Galaxy will have a One Shot concerning Captain America The Winter Soldier.
xD
Agreed. Personally I'm hoping for a warriors 3 one shot.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #108
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
The Warriors Three come to Earth to help capture and tame Snowflake?

( guest starring the Agents of SHIELD! *eg* )

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #109
Jammat
Side-Kick

If we're spitballing, I'd love to see a one shot with Hawkeye free runnning with a bow and tranq. arrow, trying to take down the Jotnuheim monster that was left frolicking around London . It won't happen though, the CGI would be too expensive.

Jammat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #110
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The Warriors Three come to Earth to help capture and tame Snowflake?

( guest starring the Agents of SHIELD! *eg* )
It would be Zack Levi's return to TV since he played Nerd Herder turned Spy Charles Bartowski.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #111
Evan Drew
Side-Kick

The Warriors Three trying to reign in the beast that was left behind after the events of Thor:TDW.

Also, Agents of SHIELD have not even mentioned a roaming beast... a fact that would not have escaped notice... leaving the story open. It is perfectly set-up!

Evan Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #112
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
But if that was the case, then why didn't The Real Mandarin/The Real Ten Rings put a quietus to this impostor immediately? I strongly doubt The Real Mandarin would've let this charade last past the first instance.
His lair is too remote. You can't get cable that far out in the sticks. Yeah.

ok I got nothing. But it's not an insurmountable obstacle should they choose to go that route, I don't think.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #113
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

If SHIELD weren't able to find Trevor, I'm sure the Ten Rings have a hard time finding him too. Especially in the state they were after Tony and Obi dealt with them

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #114
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
If SHIELD weren't able to find Trevor, I'm sure the Ten Rings have a hard time finding him too. Especially in the state they were after Tony and Obi dealt with them
Who said SHIELD was looking for Trevor/Fake Mandarin? There's still nothing in IM3 that suggests he was even on their radar. The Americans were after him, yeah, and they couldn't even find him in their own backyard (so much for NSA Big Brother paranoia); but SHIELD is completely silent on the subject of the Fake Mandarin's alleged terrorist attacks.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #115
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Presumably the Mandarin was not a SHIELD priority at all, so long as he merely seemed to be a terrorist committing relatively ordinary terrorism. Which, given there was no evidence for him being anything but until during IM3, I can buy SHIELD not having figured anything out yet. And before they could rectify that, bam, Tony's already done the work for them.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #116
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Drew View Post
The Warriors Three trying to reign in the beast that was left behind after the events of Thor:TDW.

Also, Agents of SHIELD have not even mentioned a roaming beast... a fact that would not have escaped notice... leaving the story open. It is perfectly set-up!
Well, Jamie Alexander tweeted that she worked with Ky Furneaux today for something action-y related… she didn't say whether it was for Marvel or not though. But, maybe reading between the lines?

I am all for a Sif/Warriors 3 one-shot, if it's the same length as the Agent Carter one.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #117
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Well, Jamie Alexander tweeted that she worked with Ky Furneaux today for something action-y related… she didn't say whether it was for Marvel or not though. But, maybe reading between the lines?

I am all for a Sif/Warriors 3 one-shot, if it's the same length as the Agent Carter one.
I, too, would LOVE a warriors 3/sif one shot. I've been saying that it could be a mission set within Asgard, like a flashback to a "Tales of Asgard" style adventure from their youth. It could even be something that shows us the current state of Asgard deteriorating now that Loki is on the throne.

Another thought is that it could show sif and the warriors 3 stopping at an intergalactic pub after delivering the Aether to the collector. That way there is only one set they have to make, and the only expense would be the costumes. Drunken gods brawling with space freaks, anyone?

Either way, I think the W3 fit the one-shot MO perfectly: background characters with a lot of personality who would be a blast to flesh out a bit more on screen.

As for the "All Hail the King" news, it sounds promising/fun. I'm glad someone caught the Seagate prison reference, as I wouldn't have realized that connection on my own.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #118
cph9fa
Side-Kick

WOAH!!!

Early look at "All Hail the King":
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/1...hot-exclusive/

"Who is Trevor Slattery?"

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #119
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Looks fun

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #120
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post

xD
Heh, I feel silly for not noticing. Good call.

It seems they have all, so far, expanded on supporting allies, with Slattery being a false villain, but really, in the end, just an informant they turn.

If such a thing were true, that would remove Loki from the pool for the Thor 3 one shot, and leave Warrior's Four (my personal choice) or Darcy and Company (fanboys would die!) as the stars of choice. Warriors Four would be awesome... but... what can they do other than fight? More fish out of water jokes?

There's something really fun/funny in there about traveling to different realms looking for something innocuous.

Oh, you know what would rock my socks? Heimdall One Shot. What does Heimdall get up to, what does he see? It could be something vaguely philosophical with a smattering of comedy. If he sees something, can he do anything about it.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #121
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
WOAH!!!

Looks good so far!

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #122
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
WOAH!!!

Marvel easter egg character in that clip.

Jack Norriss is the videographer of the One-Shot bio of Trevor, and he's an actual minor Marvel comics character.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Jackson_Norriss_(Earth-616)

Norriss has dabbled with superheroes before, "mascoting" for The Defenders and becoming a SHIELD agent, actively involved with the investigation of Nomad, a character who assumed Bucky Barnes' identity in the 1950s alongside the fake Captain America (later revealed to be the homegrown terrorist, The Grand Director).

Dunno if there's plans to develop Norriss further than this, but he's got interesting ties to the stories of Cap, Bucky and Valkyrie in the comics.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #123
Silvermoth
Avenger

So excited to see Trevor again. This looks really good and you can tell ben is a really nice guy for taking time to do this.

I mean, I'm sure he was a nice guy before but I just mean now you know

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 AM   #124
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

I'm just glad the quality keeps going up with each One-Shot.
The first two were cute but weren't much to get excited about.
Item 47 was well made, although on par with Agents of SHIELD, btw how the hell have those characters not been involved with the show?!
Then the Agent Carter one was absolutely fantastic and the upcoming one promises to be just as good, what it lacks in action it might make up in easter eggs.

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #125
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Presumably the Mandarin was not a SHIELD priority at all, so long as he merely seemed to be a terrorist committing relatively ordinary terrorism. Which, given there was no evidence for him being anything but until during IM3, I can buy SHIELD not having figured anything out yet. And before they could rectify that, bam, Tony's already done the work for them.
But the problem is that that doesn't jive with the first film at all. SHIELD was very interested in learning about the Ten Rings organization. That's why they had Coulson constantly try to debrief Tony after he got back. And for a significant chunk of this movie, everyone thought that The Mandarin was the LEADER of the Ten Rings, so it's a contradiction. Then again, Shane Black didn't seem to really care if he contradicted things from the first two films anyway, so it's not surprising.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote