The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Default What if it flops?

Before you blow your lid calm down. I know this movie is gonna have a killer opening weekend. That's a given. I'm sure the trailers are gonna be amazing and I'm sure the anticipation is gonne be off the charts.

But let's say the movie doesn't go over well. Let's say it's deemed a critical failure. Not a mixed reaction, I'm talkin a legit NEGATIVE response. Critics slam the s*** out of it, fans walk away feeling bored and empty, the movie doesn't deliver on expectations, the movie feels sloppy... let's say the movie is just an absolute flop. What happens from there? What does WB/DC do? What's the gameplan?

edit: Do they just take a few years off and send a limo full of world class hookers to Christopher Nolan's and Christian Bale's doorstep all holding bags of money and an offer in writing that gives him part ownership in the studio?

Skrilla31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: What if it flops?

DC just does Batman. That's what happened after Superman IV, and when Batman fails (1998), they don't try. Does Catwoman count as "trying"?

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
combocaz
Side-Kick

If it flops then no DC movies from WB for 10 years.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
combocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Like TheFlamingCoco said, we will just get solo Batman movies.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Warner goes out and gets all the creative guys behind the Marvel movies.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Like TheFlamingCoco said, we will just get solo Batman movies.
But don't you risk overexposing Batman too? If this movie is a flop, it hurts BOTH brands... not just Superman. I'm not sure if audiences would take to ANOTHER Batman movie so quick. ESPECIALLY if it's another NEW actor playing him. Eventually the audience OD's and doesn't want it anymore.

If this movie flops, you gotta think they wait awhile before they try and reel out another Batman movie. And you also gotta think they're gonna try and do whatever they can to get Nolan and Bale to return. Because if 10 years from now they released a fourth movie that might be the only thing that would bring the people back.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

The movie would have to be Batman&Robin quality to flop. Even then, it would probably still break even.

However if it would, we get a solo Batman movie with the new Batman and probably The Riddler played by an A-List actor....then if that flops...Warners gives up and we get no more DC movies.

Or they give Nolan and Bale each a billion dollars to do a follow up to Rises.

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
dark_b
Side-Kick

''What if it flops?''

Then Zion will fall

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
GreenKToo
In the fire

I dont know if i would trust this in the hands of just snyder and goyer. I think goyer needs help writing, snyder will prolly be fine by himself but why chance it and lament it afterwards.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
But don't you risk overexposing Batman too? If this movie is a flop, it hurts BOTH brands... not just Superman. I'm not sure if audiences would take to ANOTHER Batman movie so quick. ESPECIALLY if it's another NEW actor playing him. Eventually the audience OD's and doesn't want it anymore.

If this movie flops, you gotta think they wait awhile before they try and reel out another Batman movie. And you also gotta think they're gonna try and do whatever they can to get Nolan and Bale to return. Because if 10 years from now they released a fourth movie that might be the only thing that would bring the people back.
I've heard arguments about people saying superhero fatigue will eventually set in. And that argument has been going on for the better part of a decade. How has that argument looked? If you make a good Batman movie, the people will show up. And Batman is the easiest hero to make a good movie of in the DC stable.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
I've heard arguments about people saying superhero fatigue will eventually set in. And that argument has been going on for the better part of a decade. How has that argument looked? If you make a good Batman movie, the people will show up. And he is the easiest hero to make a good movie of in the DC stable.
Not superhero fatigue, Batman fatigue.

Let's say hypothetically...

2012 - highly successful, bordering on legendary series comes to an end.
2015 - new Batman is cast in S v. B movie but it's a disaster all around.
2020 - another new Batman is cast in the hopes of starting a new franchise.

I dunno man. I'm not sure how excited the public is to see that last movie..

Old 08-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

^I refer you to my last sentence. I believe the audience is still there for him even if WF flops. Throw in some villains we haven't seen before, or ones that can be done better (Schumacher movies) get A list talent, etc...

Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

If it flops... I can't even think of anything. It just won't happen.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Then Malaka will say it was because they didn't cast Bomer.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats

I am sure it wont Flop it could go Fair but no flop

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

It won't flop. Visually the movie will look amazing. All of Snyders films are. It all depends on the script. I don't trust Goyer/Snyder.

I hope the rumors of an old Batman and inspiration from TDKReturns are false and it will be a young Batman and the story looks to Public Enemies/Worlds Finest.

We know Superman & Batman will go against Lex. That's it.

I don't trust Goyer but I don't see them ****ing this up. This film will likely have Superman as the main but be in a way a buddy copish film.

I do feel they need another writer with them. I would feel confident if they did.

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
king666
(‿)

If it flops, we won't get anything until 2020+

king666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Before you blow your lid calm down. I know this movie is gonna have a killer opening weekend. That's a given. I'm sure the trailers are gonna be amazing and I'm sure the anticipation is gonne be off the charts.

But let's say the movie doesn't go over well. Let's say it's deemed a critical failure. Not a mixed reaction, I'm talkin a legit NEGATIVE response. Critics slam the s*** out of it, fans walk away feeling bored and empty, the movie doesn't deliver on expectations, the movie feels sloppy... let's say the movie is just an absolute flop. What happens from there? What does WB/DC do? What's the gameplan?

edit: Do they just take a few years off and send a limo full of world class hookers to Christopher Nolan's and Christian Bale's doorstep all holding bags of money and an offer in writing that gives him part ownership in the studio?
Here we go again. The likelihood of a Superman-Batman team-up film after both franchises have come of some pretty successful runs is pretty remote in my book. I don't even know why we are even talking about this. If it ever did happen (as if...), I would blame it on the fact that they didn't use Bale as Batman (assuming he will not be returning).

Old 08-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
It won't flop. Visually the movie will look amazing. All of Snyders films are. It all depends on the script. I don't trust Goyer/Snyder.

I hope the rumors of an old Batman and inspiration from TDKReturns are false and it will be a young Batman and the story looks to Public Enemies/Worlds Finest.

We know Superman & Batman will go against Lex. That's it.

I don't trust Goyer but I don't see them ****ing this up. This film will likely have Superman as the main but be in a way a buddy copish film.

I do feel they need another writer with them. I would feel confident if they did.
It won't flop but it may perform the same way MOS does if it blows. Which I'm almost 100% sure it will. All I see is Goyer and Snyder ****ing this up.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
It won't flop but it may perform the same way MOS does if it blows. Which I'm almost 100% sure it will. All I see is Goyer and Snyder ****ing this up.
Snyder can make a great movie, he just needs a great script. I don't trust Goyer. Just get a third writer.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
Travesty
TEOL

I feel like every thread in here is designed around the idea of "will WB bring back Bale and Nolan".

Some of you are worse than crack addicts.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
Snyder can make a great movie, he just needs a great script. I don't trust Goyer. Just get a third writer.
Snyder has not made a truly great movie yet, and I have no reason to believe that he ever will. I think he is almost as much to blame as Goyer for MOS's shortcomings. He wasn't able to make those 'emotional' moments resonate much in MOS. Even those actions scenes he is so famous for could have been much more exciting if it had been directed differently. And a great script will definitely not come from Goyer.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

Quote:
Snyder has not made a truly great movie yet, and I have no reason to believe that he ever will. I think he is almost as much to blame as Goyer for MOS's shortcomings. He wasn't able to make those 'emotional' moments resonate much in MOS. Even those actions scenes he is so famous for could have been much more exciting if it had been directed differently. And a great script will definitely not come from Goyer.
Idk. Watchmen begs to differ.

Also Goyer was the one who wrote the screenplay for Batman Begins alone without Nolan.

I think they should call up del Toro and ask him for his help.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #24
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
It will do better than MoS just on the sensation alone. It's going to outperform "Avenger's: Age of Ultron" (I guarantee it). The biggest hurdles are to get the Batman fan on board and to figure out a marketing strategy that will be troll and critic proof (although just the mere name of Superman and Batman will more than likely solve that problem).

Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPBAGS View Post
Then Malaka will say it was because they didn't cast Bomer.
I laughed WAAY more than I should have.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote