The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: What if it flops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
It will do better than MoS just on the sensation alone. It's going to outperform "Avenger's: Age of Ultron" (I guarantee it). The biggest hurdles are to get the Batman fan on board and to figure out a marketing strategy that will be troll and critic proof (although just the mere name of Superman and Batman will more than likely solve that problem).
No. Because Avengers had CRAZY hype and great WOM.

But let's say, people are more skeptical (from MOS not reaching SOME expectations), and the Superman part makes around 460 million worldwide. There are a crazy amount of Batman fans out there now, and even though TDKR disappointed quite a few, they want to see the legend continue (I'm sure most won't even know it's a reboot).

So I expect the Batman group will bring in 700 or 800 million. Together that's a billion and a quarter.

So no matter what, it's almost guaranteed to make bank.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
No. Because Avengers had CRAZY hype and great WOM.

But let's say, people are more skeptical (from MOS not reaching SOME expectations), and the Superman part makes around 460 million worldwide. There are a crazy amount of Batman fans out there now, and even though TDKR disappointed quite a few, they want to see the legend continue (I'm sure most won't even know it's a reboot).

So I expect the Batman group will bring in 700 or 800 million. Together that's a billion and a quarter.

So no matter what, it's almost guaranteed to make bank.
Do you see as much press about "Avenger: Age of Ultron" (AAOU) as you do /? I don't think so.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
Idk. Watchmen begs to differ.

Also Goyer was the one who wrote the screenplay for Batman Begins alone without Nolan.

I think they should call up del Toro and ask him for his help.
I actually found Begins to be the least entertaining of the trilogy.

Yes, they need to call someone, anyone good who can help.

Quote:
It will do better than MoS just on the sensation alone. It's going to outperform "Avenger's: Age of Ultron" (I guarantee it). The biggest hurdles are to get the Batman fan on board and to figure out a marketing strategy that will be troll and critic proof (although just the mere name of Superman and Batman will more than likely solve that problem).
I guarantee it will not outperform Avengers: Age of Ultron. It will open great based on sensation alone but after that the movie will need to depend on it's own quality to continue doing well. Plus this will be some new untested Batman, not Bale. If it was Bale, I still don't think it would outdo Avengers but it may come closer. And I trust Whedon way, way more than I trust Snyder and Goyer to tell a good story.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #29
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Del Toro would be an awesome person to contact.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
Monicabbm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Do you see as much press about "Avenger: Age of Ultron" (AAOU) as you do /? I don't think so.
The interest in MoS 2 is in the new Batman. Because of it, almost every day we have a rumor about it.

The Avengers 2 doesn't need this right now. The first film is a great success, there is great expectation for TA2.
Look what happened to iron Man 3. The film is the highest grossing of the year, the guy responsible for this, Downey Jr., will be at TA2. And yet we have Thor 2 and Captain America 2. If these two films become a hit...

Monicabbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #31
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I feel like this question will be asked for every DC film that gets made...

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #32
STARMAN
Side-Kick

If it flops everyone on this forum will be calm and rationale about it.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #33
LEVITIKUZ
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

If this is anything like the animated movie Worlds Finest or Public Enemies where we have Bats/Supers take on Lex then this will be good.

With Snyder, he understands the characters. I mean Martin Campbell wasnt thrilled with GL. We just need a third ****ing writer.

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
STARMAN
Side-Kick

We kept hearing about another writer for MOS and it never happened. I don't expect it to happen here either.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #35
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
If this is anything like the animated movie Worlds Finest or Public Enemies where we have Bats/Supers take on Lex then this will be good.

With Snyder, he understands the characters. I mean Martin Campbell wasnt thrilled with GL. We just need a third ****ing writer.
This!!!!

"The director looking at "World's Finest" and "Public Enemies" ideas for inspiration."-The SuperMan homepage (great fan site)

I feel like he's the most in tune with the fanbase, for good or bad. I'm sure years ago right after SR came out, fans were clamoring for a comic-bookish action-based Superman film. And on that front, he delivered.

However, he came off of a very strong franchise that raised the bar for CBM's in some ways. Combine that with scripting problems (not entirely his fault) and rapid editing (he should REALLY get a better, less frenetic editor) and MOS reception has been divisive.

I feel like he can earn his reputation back by doing Batman justice, and furthering Clark's story.

But he'll need a writer that is better with dialog, character dynamics, and a general narrative to do so.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

This is flop proof.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #37
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

I predict the general audience will love it.

Some comic fans will love it. Most will find a way to hate it, because their "Guy" got shafted.

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
The Guard
Side-Kick

There's a chance any movie will flop. If another Superman film flops, WB will probably go straight to JUSTICE LEAGUE, which might be the plan anyway after a second Superman film. They're not going to want to miss out on the team up money.

And even if it flops, there's a chance it could be a pretty solid film. So we could have two good Superman movies, one with Batman in it, and still potential for a JUSTICE LEAGUE franchise.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #39
samsnee
Side-Kick

It's going to make bank. WB won't care about critics at that point.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPBAGS View Post
Then Malaka will say it was because they didn't cast Bomer.
That gives me a raging Bomer.

Anyway, this movie can receive worse critical reviews than Superman Returns (75% RT) and still be a great film, obviously critical review means nothing there. If it receives worse critical reviews than Man of Steel (56% RT) it's still guaranteed to be a huge financial success, as MoS is pushing $650mil worldwide. If it receives worse critical reviews than Green Lantern (26% RT) then we can be worried, but it won't likely cause WB to give up on DC. Considering GL was a superflop and they are still going strong.

I say this "flop" scenario is unlikely at best.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #41
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I don't think critics really need to be brought up in terms of a film flopping.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #42
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
There's a chance any movie will flop. If another Superman film flops, WB will probably go straight to JUSTICE LEAGUE, which might be the plan anyway after a second Superman film. They're not going to want to miss out on the team up money.

And even if it flops, there's a chance it could be a pretty solid film. So we could have two good Superman movies, one with Batman in it, and still potential for a JUSTICE LEAGUE franchise.
Another Superman flop? The previous one was 7 years ago.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #43
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't even really think SUPERMAN RETURNS was a flop. I meant if the sequel to MAN OF STEEL flops. It's been described as "another Superman film" by Snyder. I guess I should have said "a Superman sequel".

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #44
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Before you blow your lid calm down. I know this movie is gonna have a killer opening weekend. That's a given. I'm sure the trailers are gonna be amazing and I'm sure the anticipation is gonne be off the charts.

But let's say the movie doesn't go over well. Let's say it's deemed a critical failure. Not a mixed reaction, I'm talkin a legit NEGATIVE response. Critics slam the s*** out of it, fans walk away feeling bored and empty, the movie doesn't deliver on expectations, the movie feels sloppy... let's say the movie is just an absolute flop. What happens from there? What does WB/DC do? What's the gameplan?

edit: Do they just take a few years off and send a limo full of world class hookers to Christopher Nolan's and Christian Bale's doorstep all holding bags of money and an offer in writing that gives him part ownership in the studio?
What if it DOESNT Flop?

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
What if it DOESNT Flop?
If it doesn't break $1bil I will be surprised.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #46
D.P.
Banned User

If it's a critical failure, it won't do much to deter them moving forward if it has a killer opening weekend like you stated.

They continue to make Transformer sequels despite the fact that they are panned by critics.

Hypothetically, if Bats vs Supes does bad critically (which it won't), Snyder/Nolan/Goyer will just up their game for the next movie.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #47
Superchan
Side-Kick

A movie with superman and batman will not flop, it's impossible! It may not may make a billion (very very improbable!!) but this film has more than enough hype to match avengers and star wars (if done well that is!).
Now Critically it may very well flop (snyder/goyer team is a hit and miss) but with the amount of money it will generate, WB will just go ahead with JL while replacing the goyer/snyder team that's all.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #48
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
A movie with superman and batman will not flop, it's impossible! It may not may make a billion (very very improbable!!) but this film has more than enough hype to match avengers and star wars (if done well that is!).
Now Critically it may very well flop (snyder/goyer team is a hit and miss) but with the amount of money it will generate, WB will just go ahead with JL while replacing the goyer/snyder team that's all.
Right, like they replaced Goyer/Snyder for Batman/Superman when MOS flopped with the critics.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #49
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I love it how people assume it's going to do massive numbers just because Batman is in it. Before we start comparing things to Avengers lets not forget that Avengers on top of it being a it's own team up film was actually, you know, good. I know it's hard to believe that the quality of the film actually had something to do with it generating the numbers it did but I'm sorry to say to the naysayers that a large chunk of the money came from Avengers actually delivering a good film. The team up aspect gets you a big opening weekend only.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #50
serenity

Hi, newbie here, I am so sorry if this is not the appropriate thread for this question. I wondered about this while reading this thread:

Has there ever been a movie that was announced on Comic Con but was later shelved, or delayed for some years?

serenity is offline   Reply With Quote