The Dark Knight 66 76.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #126
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Default Re: TDK vs SM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
You and every other person who's lived a few more years than others. But we're supposed to leave our disbelief at the door. That memory condition in Memento isn't possible, anymore than the one in 50 First Dates. You just go with the B.S. because you're trying to escape reality.

Can't speak to Memento or 50FD since I haven't seen them but in regards to TP and TDK: suspension of disbelief has to be EARNED. It comes from crafting a well made story that doesn't break it's own tone/rules with outlandish(for the IP they are presenting, that is) crap. They both fail miserably in that regard(Joker in God-mode in TDK and the out of no-where magic xerox machine in TP). Both require the film to indulge in plot convenience of the highest order and on top of that both come off as smugly thinking they're actually clever for doing so. That's what gets my gall the most. A dumb movie that has no illusions that it's dumb I can still enjoy and not be insulted by but a dumb movie that thinks it's the smartest kid in the class? Hell no.

I love to escape reality in a good film. I just don't see why I should be giving out mulligans when I've been given no good reason to do so.

Last edited by kedrell; 10-23-2013 at 02:39 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #127
jimbob
Side-Kick

If only Nolan kept those movies realistic. Like, say a teenager just walks into a research facility and happens to get bitten by a radioactive spider. Then, he can shoot webs out of his hand, gain super strength and walk up walls, all while looking perfectly human and going about his daily life. That sort of thing happens all the time. Well grounded in medicine, genetics and science. Pot, meet kettle.

jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #128
kedrell

Clearly you are clueless as to what I was talking about.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #129
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I can't vote on this. It's like picking between children - your bright and friendly one and your borderline sociopathic child - but children none-the-less. They are both flawed, yet stand as benchmarks in modern comic book cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Clearly you are clueless as to what I was talking about.
Indeed.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #130
jimbob
Side-Kick

Kedrell, the post wasn't directed at you, though I can certainly see why you would think that it was. Your double standards are breathtaking. You see what you're looking for, and back it with only subjective reasons.

jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #131
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Dramatised.
It tip toes between tragic and pathetic. A guy like that doesn't need an enabler. He needs help.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #132
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Can't speak to Memento or 50FD since I haven't seen them but in regards to TP and TDK: suspension of disbelief has to be EARNED. It comes from crafting a well made story that doesn't break it's own tone/rules with outlandish(for the IP they are presenting, that is) crap. They both fail miserably in that regard(Joker in God-mode in TDK and the out of no-where magic xerox machine in TP). Both require the film to indulge in plot convenience of the highest order and on top of that both come off as smugly thinking they're actually clever for doing so. That's what gets my gall the most. A dumb movie that has no illusions that it's dumb I can still enjoy and not be insulted by but a dumb movie that thinks it's the smartest kid in the class? Hell no.

I love to escape reality in a good film. I just don't see why I should be giving out mulligans when I've been given no good reason to do so.
Those two twists aren't equally untimed and unbelievable. In the Prestige, the machine was a result of Angler's obsession to push his act beyond Borden's. While's Borden's simple use of a twin lead to tragic loss, there comes another comparison to Angler's multiple sacrifices of himself where he questions which was the true Angler. It's heavy handed for a revenge drama but it was paced better than The Dark Knight.

Nolan's films have men who are driven by an obsession. Unfortunately there is never a safety net or a saving grace. So in the end the protagonist is always left with his journey unresolved.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #133
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
NI never really got into Spider-man, even as a kid. It's weird that he can walk on walls with gloves on, but he doesn't deliver a paralyzing bite to animals and suck out their innards.

You get the point of a superhero, right? Not a horror character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If only Nolan kept those movies realistic. Like, say a teenager just walks into a research facility and happens to get bitten by a radioactive spider. Then, he can shoot webs out of his hand, gain super strength and walk up walls, all while looking perfectly human and going about his daily life. That sort of thing happens all the time. Well grounded in medicine, genetics and science. Pot, meet kettle.
It looks like you direct this comment of yours toward kedrell
I can understand some of his frustration, the interrogation scene gives a semi-invincible Joker, not very realistic
Raimi's Spider-Man basks in its fantasy element, it's the kid with issues not pretending to be smarter than he is

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #134
Victarion
The Iron Captain

I'd argue that Nolan's decision with The Prestige wasn't out of nowhere magic. It's simply an element taken from the New Wave of science fiction. Works in this genre feature the conventions of classic sci-fi, but throws out the indepth explanations of the devices in favor of a more character driven narrative. A focus on how the conventions affect character development and relationships. Except The Prestige has less drug use and promiscuity than more of your New Wave.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #135
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

The Joker was not a god, he was a criminal mastermind who did have flaws.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #136
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
The Joker was not a god, he was a criminal mastermind who did have flaws.
What flaws did you notice in the film?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #137
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
What flaws did you notice in the film?
The very key thing that lead to his defeat. He had the wrong idea about the nature of people. He planned for those people in the boats to blow each other up but in the end they didn't.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #138
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Good point. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #139
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
The very key thing that lead to his defeat. He had the wrong idea about the nature of people. He planned for those people in the boats to blow each other up but in the end they didn't.
It is a good point, and coherent within the fiction (although I think in reality, he got the exact nature of man, but TDK's writers decided to lie about it).

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #140
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
It is a good point, and coherent within the fiction (although I think in reality, he got the exact nature of man, but TDK's writers decided to lie about it).
Unless we're talking about Comic Book Movie I'm sure the vast majority of the population are overall good.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #141
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
Those two twists aren't equally untimed and unbelievable. In the Prestige, the machine was a result of Angler's obsession to push his act beyond Borden's. While's Borden's simple use of a twin lead to tragic loss, there comes another comparison to Angler's multiple sacrifices of himself where he questions which was the true Angler. It's heavy handed for a revenge drama but it was paced better than The Dark Knight.

Nolan's films have men who are driven by an obsession. Unfortunately there is never a safety net or a saving grace. So in the end the protagonist is always left with his journey unresolved.
No, the machine was a wild goose chase that Bale sent Jackman on yet low and behold....there actually WAS a magic xerox machine. <cough>bull****!<cough> That's gotta be the biggest coincidence in the entire damn universe. Or maybe the film makers just think the audience are morons.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #142
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, the machine was a wild goose chase that Bale sent Jackman on yet low and behold....there actually WAS a magic xerox machine. <cough>bull****!<cough> That's gotta be the biggest coincidence in the entire damn universe. Or maybe the film makers just think the audience are morons.
Or you should be placing the blame for that one on the author of the book it's adapted from?

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #143
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Unless we're talking about Comic Book Movie I'm sure the vast majority of the population are overall good.
Oh yes. I mean, I bought it.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #144
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think the idea they were going for was that it was a direly unfortunate turn of fate that when Angier went looking for an actual miracle, he found one. However, the tragic twist of this "lucky break" is obscured by the constant deception.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #145
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
The rumors of the machine had to come from somewhere. No smoke without fire.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #146
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Or you should be placing the blame for that one on the author of the book it's adapted from?
If you are a film maker adapting a book and the story you're adapting does something dumb then you should change it. Movies and books are different mediums(though if it went down in the book just as it did in the movie then it's just as bad there) and changing things happens all the time. I'm not giving Nolan a pass just because of that. At best I'll spread the blame to whoever wrote the book as well.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #147
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
The rumors of the machine had to come from somewhere. No smoke without fire.

That's thin. Like tissue paper thin, IMO.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #148
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I think the idea they were going for was that it was a direly unfortunate turn of fate that when Angier went looking for an actual miracle, he found one. However, the tragic twist of this "lucky break" is obscured by the constant deception.

He wasn't looking for a miracle. Just a better way to one-up Bale's character.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #149
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
That's thin. Like tissue paper thin, IMO.
Which part?

Edit: I agree with you about the filmmaker's responsibility when it comes to adapting what may or may not work. In defense of the author's style, it's reminiscent of the New Wave sci-fi that was more focused on characters and their development than that of the futuristic machines (or aliens, or whatever conventions of traditional science fiction happen to be used).

Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #150
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
I think it was an ironic twist because it still involved Tesla. The man's genius is legendary, so who better to produce a real magical machine than the guy who also invented an earthquake machine? So in the long term Angler's obsession did lead him to his goal.

even with bare hands.