The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #76
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman casting thread for Man Of Steel 2 - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Really hoping for it. If WB is smart they will listen to the criticisms and get someone other than Goyer in there or at least someone to assist him with it this time. He clearly is better with input.
That's the problem right there. If WB is smart, they will listen to the criticisms. Unfortunately, they are not. You can legitimately argue that WB is mentally retarded at this point. The fact that they were expecting MOS to make at least $1 billion is evidence of that. Regardless of the MOS' quality and of how it was marketed, there is no way it could have ever made $1 billion.

Also, just to inform you, WB did get someone other than Goyer in there - Snyder . People can say whatever they want about Goyer, but he is by no means a horrible writer. He just needs someone there to polish his scripts and to translate his ideas better on page. He always delivers great scripts when co-writing with a great writer there to polish his stuff. The problem with MOS' script is that it lacked that polishing and didn't feel like a "final draft". Now there will be someone there to provide that and it is a bad writer. It gets worse than even that. Snyder also plans to talk to Frank Miller and get some ideas for the film from him. Asking Frank Miller in the 21st century for some input in a film is literally going out of your way to make the film suck. Hearing that is what pretty much killed this entire film for me. Whatever teeny tiny little hope I had for this film is now gone.

Plus, say what you want about MOS, but despite its flaws I feel that the production crew put a lot of heart into it and at least tried to find the best possible balance between Superman's godlike nature and his humanity, plus the best balance between modernizing him while still keeping who he is intact. Whether or not they succeeded is entirely subjective (they really succeeded IMO) but at least they tried. With this film, it doesn't even feel like they're trying or putting any heart into it. Snyder even admitted that he is only doing this because WB made him do it. Goyer said they don't even have a title yet. They're asking Frank Miller for help.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #77
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

It still makes me wonder that how come Cavill said in numerous interviews, interview after interview, during filming and after filming, that MOS was the best screenplay he ever read.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #78
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Goyer's (and Nolan's) story ideas for MOS were so bad. What in the whole wide world is the codex? That was an absolutely ludicrous MacGuffin. Just balls.

They absolutely need to get a writer to work with Goyer, even Cameron buckled in and hired writers for Avatar sequels. The Avengers had good dialog, good character interaction, a clean structure, and a forward moving plot. The WB or Goyer films tend to get weighed down in dreary drama which is inherently preposterous because of its absurdity and lame attempts at realism.

And simply based on MOS's performance, I absolutely don't think MOS 2 will be the biggest film of 2015. I expect Star Wars, Avengers 2 and Bond 24 to handily beat MOS 2 at the box office. They probably all of them will also have better reviews.
Pacing, story structure, and dialogue were all the problems with MOS. Other plot elements were very hazy as well.

I half think WB will want to distance themselves from selling Superman/Batman as a "MOS sequel" to the mainstream and that they might just be better touting it as a Superman/Batman movie. Not saying it will be the biggest of 2015 either way, I was just saying if it were a success (and I hope it is - but only if it is good :-/ ), I'm worried WB will attribute that to Batman and think that Superman can't work on the big screen.

**** Goyer.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #79
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Let's not turn this thread into which Superman actor sucked the most

I agree. There are posters that would flame you for saying that on the X-boards though
I know they would but there are also some that agree with me, I've seen their posts. I love Wolverine but X-Men is about a goddamn team, he gets too much character development and screentime at the expense of others. Yes they should use him to market overseas but those of us in the states are getting sick of him.

I know I'm off topic, I'll get back on.

I know I'm off topic so I'm one to talk but can we get this thread back onto casting? If I want to argue about the screenplay I'll go into another thread.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #80
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
That's the problem right there. If WB is smart, they will listen to the criticisms. Unfortunately, they are not. You can legitimately argue that WB is mentally retarded at this point. The fact that they were expecting MOS to make at least $1 billion is evidence of that. Regardless of the MOS' quality and of how it was marketed, there is no way it could have ever made $1 billion.

Also, just to inform you, WB did get someone other than Goyer in there - Snyder . People can say whatever they want about Goyer, but he is by no means a horrible writer. He just needs someone there to polish his scripts and to translate his ideas better on page. He always delivers great scripts when co-writing with a great writer there to polish his stuff. The problem with MOS' script is that it lacked that polishing and didn't feel like a "final draft". Now there will be someone there to provide that and it is a bad writer. It gets worse than even that. Snyder also plans to talk to Frank Miller and get some ideas for the film from him. Asking Frank Miller in the 21st century for some input in a film is literally going out of your way to make the film suck. Hearing that is what pretty much killed this entire film for me. Whatever teeny tiny little hope I had for this film is now gone.

Plus, say what you want about MOS, but despite its flaws I feel that the production crew put a lot of heart into it and at least tried to find the best possible balance between Superman's godlike nature and his humanity, plus the best balance between modernizing him while still keeping who he is intact. Whether or not they succeeded is entirely subjective (they really succeeded IMO) but at least they tried. With this film, it doesn't even feel like they're trying or putting any heart into it. Snyder even admitted that he is only doing this because WB made him do it. Goyer said they don't even have a title yet. They're asking Frank Miller for help.
They need a cowriter for Goyer. It's simple. And was it not Snyder's idea to make Superman kill Zod?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #81
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

So how about that Batman casting?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #82
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
It still makes me wonder that how come Cavill said in numerous interviews, interview after interview, during filming and after filming, that MOS was the best screenplay he ever read.
Perhaps what was on paper was better and more realized than what was eventually on film. I can see that as being the case, sadly.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #83
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Right, right, Batman casting.......

Wish we'd hear something new soon. How many new rumors ya'll think we'll get this week?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #84
Rodrigo90
Winky wink!

Who else is left?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #85
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPBAGS View Post
Welling was the "Blur"

Seriously, I liked Smallville and Welling. I felt the producers and executives at Warner really held everything back during the last season or so. They robbed the fans who waited 10 seasons to see him in the suit.
Nah, they gave exactly what should be expected from a show about Superman and not about Superman at the same time. The best thing to come from it is a lesson on how not to do a superhero show. Don't bother if you aren't willing to go all in.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 08-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #86
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Right, right, Batman casting.......

Wish we'd hear something new soon. How many new rumors ya'll think we'll get this week?
Whatever number it was last week, add two, subtract three, multiply by zero, and divide by one...

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 08-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #87
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Who else is left?
Tom Cruise.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #88
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
They need a cowriter for Goyer. It's simple. And was it not Snyder's idea to make Superman kill Zod?
It was both of their idea. Surprisingly, Nolan was against it.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #89
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Tom Cruise.
Please let Batman run.

~SHH SIX~
Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #90
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Perhaps what was on paper was better and more realized than what was eventually on film. I can see that as being the case, sadly.
I don't know about that. Even on paper, it seems badly concieved to me.

But maybe that says more about the other scripts Cavill was getting.

Last edited by slumcat; 08-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #91
Wheels
They see me rollin'
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Tom Cruise.
Only if it's Tom Cruise is playing Les Grossman playing Batman.

$$$$

Quote:
There's been an awakening... Have you felt it?

The Dark Side, and the Light.

Last edited by Wheels; 08-12-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #92
maluka
Banned User

Quote:
Probably on Bomer forums.
Not necessarily lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
Im sure he does have some support. You have just gone about this all wrong. All you've done is really post pictures of him, most of which haven't been very appealing, and then never back it up with examples of how and why he'd make a good Wayne/Batman, it takes more than being handsome...Peoples frustrations with you have led to them being completely turned off by the idea of Bomer for the role.

Are you psy?
I've posted all pics of him where he is in "playboy" mode, I've posted some videos to show his abilities, I've explained the similar features between Bruce and Neal, I've showed some pics to explain how he would be great under the suit thanks to his wonderful chin.

Or you don't read me, or just pay too much attention to the pics to read my comment.

And you don't help.
I've spend too much time speaking to people who think he's "pretty" or "pixie", trying to make them change their mind about him.

I've even posted some pics of him wearing Bruce Wayne's hat in WC.

But some people keep telling he's like a pixie (aka Peter PAN and I still don't see any resemblance)
You can't expect me to shut up when you write that king of things.
He has nothing like Peter Pan.
You bash too much the other actors when you support another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Indeed .
I was surfing with my remote the other day ,
As soon as I landed on a rerun of WC , I turned the channel.
Right now, I have no intent of ever watching it again .
You've already said that, man.
I can't even watch WC without thinking about you saying he looks like a pixie.

Quote:
I'm personally going to create a MB appreciation thread, just for maluka
Do!

Last edited by maluka; 08-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #93
maluka
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Man Of Steel has the better action and effects sure and maybe Cavill looked more like Superman in the comics but just because he's new and hunky doesn't mean he's a better actor or even played a better role. Did I give two ****s when he learned to fly 30 minutes into the movie? No I don't care, it wasn't good or exciting. Did I care about his relationship with Jonathan Kent after their two minutes of screen time together? NO I didn't.

"You're a monster Zod, and I'm going to stop you" god I cringed and felt embarrassed for telling my friends this was going to be a good movie.
I don't think you can judge when you make a comparison between the serie and the movie.
Tom Welling was C.Kent during years, while we only watch Cavill during two hours in MOS. And I thought it was exciting when he learned to fly.
You couldn't expect to care too much about the relationships in this movie because there is not enough time to know all the characters...

Old 08-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #94
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Who else is left?
Val Kilmer.

(watching BF now)

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #95
Rodrigo90
Winky wink!

A few more months of enduring this

Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #96
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOFSTEELtrilogy View Post
Does Batman have to be white?
Not if Perry White doesn't have to be white, and if Superman does not have to be white. Doubt me on that? Is Dean Cain white? He was born Dean Tanaka, because his biological father was of Japanese descent. So, Superman does not have to be white. Arguably they have even cast a non-white Lois Lane, but that depends on how you define white. Teri Hatcher is a quarter-Syrians, which by the standards used at my high school would have clearly made her non-white. She is also part Choctaw, but realistically that does not make her non-white. If the census had their way, she would say she was white on the census, but I am not convinced the census is right to try to class Arabs as white.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #97
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

I think they will have their new Batman by September by going Bale was cast in September.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #98
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
No.

There's nothing inherent in the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman that says his ethnicity has to be Caucasian (White), especially in the multi-ethnic, multi-racial society we currently live in. Wayne might be an 'Anglo' surname, but, with adoptions being commonplace these days, there's absolutely no reason why Bruce couldn't be of non-white ethnicity.
Then there are people like my nephew who has the very Anglo surname of Lambert, but his mother is from Mexico and very clearly identifies with her Aztec ancestry. I have known other Latinos with last names such as Johnson.

On the other hand, the vast majority of African-Americans have last names that are Anglo. For example, White is in theory an Anglo name. However I have zero problem with an African-American having it as a last name, because at Wayne State University I had an African-American classmate whose last name was White.

I could also point out people I knew who were half-Filipino or half-Korean with Anglo last names. Adoption is one way, but there are others.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #99
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
You don't know the character awfully well, do you?
What about Bruce Wayne dictates that he must be white?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #100
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Quote:
He has to be white because he's always been white and works fine the way he is. He's not an obscure character or one that's been lagging for years in need of a reboot, if it's not broke, don't fix it, Batman should remain white.
Sort of like Perry White should remain White? Oh wait, they changed that. I see no reason to impose a race-based casting criteria on Batman. This is one way that L&C was the wave of the future, they gave us two leads cast with people from the mixed ethnic backgrounds that are going to become more and more common. over half the children born in the US last year were "non-white", but many of them had one parent who was white.

Closed Thread