The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #401
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
This couldn't be more wrong.

There's a million ways to do a Superman film that aren't S:TM. And I honestly think the fan response is more than acceptable and warranted. How would you feel if the next Batman movie has day-glo my little pony colors, and ends with Batman pulling a gun and shooting Joe Chill. That's what the bleak color, destruction, and murder was like in MOS.
I'd watch that movie

Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #402
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Glass half-empty. There are a lot of pessimistic people who are Superman fans. It's really weird.
I would say its ironic, but it actually makes sense. They sincerely love the perfect form of good that superman is to them. This is not what necessarily interests me. To me it's the idea of a man with all the power in the world CHOOSING to be a symbol of hope and good despite having the opportunity to do otherwise. It's an experience that leads him here, not some innate sense of brainwashing goodness. The combination of his upbringing and his desire to help people evolves him into the hero he becomes.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #403
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I would say its ironic, but it actually makes sense. They sincerely love the perfect form of good that superman is to them. This is not what necessarily interests me. To me it's the idea of a man with all the power in the world CHOOSING to be a symbol of hope and good despite having the opportunity to do otherwise. It's an experience that leads him here, not some innate sense of brainwashing goodness. The combination of his upbringing and his desire to help people evolves him into the hero he becomes.
Safe to say it's something different to everyone.
However you will encounter a good amount of people telling you want it is otherwise it's a failure.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #404
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

A lot of people see Superman as a a beacon of hope
but he evolved Into that .
Superman killed a lot of the enemy during WWII.
I see The MOS Superman as The Golden Age Superman, and there was a lot of death in his history, but he eventually became who he is today .

Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #405
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Well the defense of this kind of Superman here, is no doubt why Snyder/WB went that way. Snyder said that they needed to 'fix' Superman, and that's what they meant.

Dismiss it as you want though, there's alot of longtime Superman fans that were put off by what they did. I think that's something. Since Bats gets all the love here, just try and imagine if they did a movie that was like the 60's Batman series. Would people defend it saying 'It's part of Batman's history' like the golden age Superman argument.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #406
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I think it's sad to stick a character in a box (and ALL fans are guilty of this), and expect them to stay there.

For me, what makes Superman so great is not that he does everything perfectly -- he's been a wimp, an *******, and a complete moron at times. What makes him great is that whatever goes wrong, he picks himself up, dusts himself off, and moves forward. As Henry said, it's his unbreakable spirit that is so admirable.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #407
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
A lot of people see Superman as a a beacon of hope
but he evolved Into that .
Superman killed a lot of the enemy during WWII.
I see The MOS Superman as The Golden Age Superman, and there was a lot of death in his history, but he eventually became who he is today .
um, I don't recall superman going around killing all that many people in this movie. Just one(alien). And unlike the WW2 comics, he kinda remorsed after the fact.

That's the difference. He didn't just kill alien after alien after alien and then make a joke about it. He's very much the same superman from the modern comics, only difference is one he's green and two he didn't have a way out.
When similar happens in the modern comics(and it has) you get a similar effect.

Fans can keep talking about this style of story not being inline with comics all they want, but when they get onto the this isn't the superman from the books..nah.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #408
Tobias
Side-Kick

I am not dreading but I am totally curious to see the questions Snyder gets asked by fan-boys or reporters at his next appearance or interview and his answers. Ya'll know these questions are coming and will be at the top of the list.

Is WF a sequel to MOS?

Is WF meant to showcase Batman, Superman or will they share the story equally?

Are there any plans for another MOS solo film?

Will JL follow immediately WF and will you direct?

Your reaction to the MOS reviews - Are they things in hindsight you would have done differently?

Last edited by Tobias; 08-21-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #409
georgec
Not a hero

I feel bad for Snyder. I can't imagine how much is being asked of him and how many directions he's being pulled toward by different people.

I guess that's the business, but he's been given quite a Herculean task. A live-action Batman/Superman film. If the jury is still out on Snyder, this movie will make or break his legacy.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #410
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I feel bad for Snyder. I can't imagine how much is being asked of him and how many directions he's being pulled toward by different people.

I guess that's the business, but he's been given quite a Herculean task. A live-action Batman/Superman film. If the jury is still out on Snyder, this movie will make or break his legacy.
I'm not a big Snyder fan but I agree - plus WB will probably be dictating a lot of things in the film. If it underperforms Snyder will get the blame even though it will likely not be how he would have done things if left to his own druthers.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #411
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I'm not a big Snyder fan but I agree - plus WB will probably be dictating a lot of things in the film. If it underperforms Snyder will get the blame even though it will likely not be how he would have done things if left to his own druthers.
Yup. I have to imagine Snyder is fighting hard as hell for the better interests of this film.

Anybody remember how hard Snyder fought to keep the studio from ruining Watchmen?

http://io9.com/5165227/the-version-o...-studio-wanted

Even if one argues that film shouldn't have been made in the first place to honor the wishes of Alan Moore, you have to appreciate that Snyder fought so hard against WB's impositions.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #412
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Yup. I have to imagine Snyder is fighting hard as hell for the better interests of this film.

Anybody remember how hard Snyder fought to keep the studio from ruining Watchmen?

http://io9.com/5165227/the-version-o...-studio-wanted

Even if one argues that film shouldn't have been made in the first place to honor the wishes of Alan Moore, you have to appreciate that Snyder fought so hard against WB's impositions.
One of the folks at SH speculated Snyder could walk if the studio basically takes the reins of the film from him. However, that same person pointed out that Snyder is in position to be creative head of JL, Batman and the other DC characters going forward and, even if MOS is dropped, that would be hard to walk away from.

Last edited by Tobias; 08-21-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #413
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Should Superman fans be worried about this quote?

Quote:

Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henrys Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I cant wait to work with him.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #414
georgec
Not a hero

Probably.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #415
Loki882
Side-Kick

No, it simply means that Batman will be more experienced than Superman (and more word-weary and cynical). That is not a bad thing.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #416
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I just hope it’s not the scenario where Batman teaches Superman to be a better hero; best compromise would be both of them teaching each other something valuable.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #417
Loki882
Side-Kick

Superman saved the entire human race from extinction in MOS, on his first day. I'd say he's off to a very good start in the hero department.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #418
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I kinda hope that Batman's on his second Robin while Clark spent all those years traveling for no real reason (within the context of the film).

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #419
Loki882
Side-Kick

Casey Affleck is Nightwing.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #420
WormyT
Side-Kick

My biggest fear is they will cast Ben Affleck. Wait....what?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #421
Loki882
Side-Kick

I guess we know why he isn't directing Justice League.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #422
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I guess we know why he isn't directing Justice League.
Who knows, maybe he will?

Snyder is contracted only for two more "Superman" movies, right?

Or would that equate to MoS2 then JL?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #423
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

If anything, though, Clark should seem wiser, but in an unexpected way. I think Bruce is more in tune with the dark nature of man, but Superman is more in tune with mankind's POTENTIAL.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #424
Loki882
Side-Kick

I have to believe that Affleck will have at least some creative input. He's an Academy Award winning Screenwriter and Director, they'd be fools not to consult him at least a little.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #425
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Honestly, one of my concerns is that due to Affleck's star power, along with how Batman is now the veteran within the DCU, that his Batman will be pretty much like Bruce Timm's Batman, where Batman was in charge of the entire show.

Closed Thread