The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Which X-Men "Cast" (Team) should FOX give priority to?
X-Men: The First Class (Team from the Past Era) 19 22.89%
The "Original X-Men" (Team from Present Era) 43 51.81%
They should try to make films featuring both around the same time 19 22.89%
I Don't Know 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which X-Men "Cast" (Team) should FOX give priority to?

But,It's not.

And besides star trek Is bad example.You will never see any stories In Trek universe In so called prime universe apart from novels and comic books.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Depends on what stories you want to go with.

Mutant Massacre, Mr. Sinister (along with introductions of young Cyclops and Jean Grey), Friends of Humanity, these would all belong in the First Class era.

Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, Shadow King / Astral Plane, stuff like that should all be the future / main trilogy cast.

Personally, while I am in favor of the series coming to an end before it over extends itself, if continuing movies are to be made, while I prefer the main trilogy cast (I believe that a team of Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Colossus, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, and a wheelchair bound and bald Xavier, is more iconic to the X-Men world than a team of Banshee, Beast, Havok, and an Xavier with a full head of hair - although the First Class team would obviously change, as is what my proposal for continuing that franchise entails), I think creatively, the better material can come from the First Class crew.

With Days Of Future Past effectively acting as X-Men: First Class 2 (as well as X-Men 4), and the leap in time to the 70's, a future First Class 3 can take another leap in time, and introduce characters like Cyclops (in the existing timeline, he is recruited to the X-Men not too terribly long after the events of Days Of Future Past, and if my theories about Days Of Future Past prove true, Xavier recruiting a new team would be appropriate anyways), Storm, keep Beast, add Gambit cuz I want, and then use the film to expand on the recruitment of Jean Grey that we saw from X-Men: The Last Stand. This could introduce the Mutant Massacre storyline, as well as Mr. Sinister, as that's all interconnected anyways. I'm totally find with a team consisting of Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Jean Grey, and Gambit, Mr. Sinister will allow us to see a new villain that's not Magneto or William Stryker as well as give us an iconic villain that fans have wanted to see for sometime, while adapting some beloved stories that can still fit in with everything else that's been established thus far.

Because of the state of the world post Days Of Future Past, I feel like that world would start leading towards things like Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, Astral Plane, Asteroid M, and other stories like that that are a bit more out there. That's not inherently bad, and can work if well done, but those aren't the stories I'm necessarily clamoring for, and while Hugh will probably be happy to play Wolverine until the day he dies, the days of guys like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, etc... are limited.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
But,It's not.

And besides star trek Is bad example.You will never see any stories In Trek universe In so called prime universe apart from novels and comic books.
You like myself, have no idea what they have planned for DOFP so you saying it's not doesn't mean anything. None of us know.

And how could you possibly know what's in store for Star Trek? Seems like a lot people here have developed some precognition.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
semperfibrandy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Not really. If the First Class timeline is treated like how Star Trek 2009 was treated then they can tell ANY story they wanted too and not have to erase or harken back to continuity that was established in X1-3 or The Wolverine.
That is true. I'm just more inclined to watch the original cast, not the FC cast. While I like the movie, I just feel more invested to watch the original cast.

semperfibrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Not really. If the First Class timeline is treated like how Star Trek 2009 was treated then they can tell ANY story they wanted too and not have to erase or harken back to continuity that was established in X1-3 or The Wolverine.
I think it's obvious that's not what happened though. X-Men: First Class went out of it's way to connect it to the main trilogy, and The Wolverine was pretty explicit in connecting to X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. These movies are obviously intended to be one timeline.

Granted, Days Of Future Past is gonna throw a monkey wrench into the equation, but I think it's clear that the movie isn't aiming to 'undo' or create parallel timelines.

I mean, I suppose it's not out of the question. I suppose it's possible that somehow Days Of Future Past splits the franchise into 2 parallel timelines, one of the main trilogy, that includes X-Men, X2, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: First Class, and The Wolverine that all leads into the events of X-Men: Days Of Future Past, and the bleak future, and a second timeline that includes X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days Of Future Past, and any potential X-Men: First Class sequels beyond that, acting in essence as a reboot, allowing them to do whatever it is they wanna do with the First Class series, but I still don't really think I see them going that direction when the most recent movie that just came out - released less than a year before the big Days Of Future Past movie - blatantly connected itself to the previous movies, specifically what are largely considered amongst the fanbase to be the worst 2 films in the series.

Last edited by Nell2ThaIzzay; 08-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

First Class had general connections yes but that does't necessarily mean that it couldn't essentially be treated as it's own alternate timeline - especially after DOFP.

We have no IDEA how DOFP is going to end. We're all just assuming that it'll end with some nice, neat corrected original timeline but for all we know it could essentially end the same way the original story line in the comics did. Wolverine goes back to the future and realizes nothing changed - they just created a new timeline.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #32
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
First Class had general connections yes but that does't necessarily mean that it couldn't essentially be treated as it's own alternate timeline - especially after DOFP.

We have no IDEA how DOFP is going to end. We're all just assuming that it'll end with some nice, neat corrected original timeline but for all we know it could essentially end the same way the original story line in the comics did. Wolverine goes back to the future and realizes nothing changed - they just created a new timeline.
I just added a big edit to my post you responded to.

But I would say that re-establishing the opening sequence from X-Men with the movies very first frame is more than a general connection.

On top of that, outside of the statement of being 17 when they met in X-Men, Xavier and Magneto's relationship played out pretty much the way Xavier described it to Wolverine. Beast was established in X-Men: The Last Stand as a previous student and member of the X-Men, and he reappeared as one of the founding members of the team and school, while other originals like Cyclops, Jean Grey, Angel, Iceman, or depending on how you look at it, Storm as well, who would have been too young were excluded.

First Class was blatantly a prequel and not some sort of "alternate timeline".

It is possible that Days Of Future Past creates an alternate timeline for the future of the First Class series, but I don't know how much I really see Fox investing in an alternate timeline when the last 2 movies they've invested in quite clearly connected themselves to the same singular timeline. And like you said, the original comics didn't really do that either.

I would say that one way or another, X-Men: Days Of Future Past is probably the end of the main trilogy cast, whether or not the inevitable First Class series is an alternate timeline or not. While this movie is effectively acting as an X-Men 4, I think that the heavier focus on the First Class cast is a strong indicator that the franchise is moving forward with them, not with the old guys.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #33
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Well I certainly agree with you there.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #34
def28
Side-Kick

Until DOFP I have no idea what's the better option. Depends on if it's good and how it ends.

I'm down for both crews though. Probably leaning more to the FC crew. With Cyc, Jean and Storm additions.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

A disappointment to me, to be sure. While X-Men: First Class is probably my favorite of the series, I actually prefer the main trilogy characters and time period. I feel it's more iconic.

That being said, if in fact the series continues with the new First Class crew, and this is the final hoorah for the main trilogy cast, I couldn't be happier than to see them go out with an adaptation of Days Of Future Past, getting to see them running around fighting Sentinels, in all their glory for one last time with Bryan Singer at the helm.

I'm quite open and vocal about my love of X-Men: The Last Stand (it's my 2nd favorite behind X-Men: First Class) but I'm glad to see this be their last outing instead. It's looking to be the movie that I wanted X-Men 3 to be - which is essentially the X-Men running around fighting Sentinels and a true impending sense of doom

And Sentinels are being done better now than they ever would have been in X-Men 3, just due to the fact that they will be the sole focus of this storyline. I feel like this is a great "passing of the torch" movie. Hugh, Halle, Ian, Patrick, Anna, Ellen, Shawn, Daniel, all handing the reigns over to James, Michael, Nicholas, and Jennifer to officially take over the series and make it their's now too.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

For logistical reasons they should give priority to OT sequels. The cast are older so their sequels should come first before some of the cast get too old to play the characters anymore. And the simple fact that now the OT gang are back in the public eye it makes sense to give them the next X-Men movie. FC can wait a little while as they need to age as a cast for the next movie anyway.

xDOFPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #37
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

No if you are gonna do a prequel then it would be better to do it before carrying on with the OT, no point waiting till the OT are over then go on here if the prequel to that

If you can flesh out these characters before the next OT film then do it, will benefit the OT big time with alot of these not well fleshed out characters

First class actually made me appreciate xavier and magneto more

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 08-13-2013 at 02:57 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #38
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
No if you are gonna do a prequel then it would be better to do it before carrying on with the OT, no point waiting till the OT are over then go on here if the prequel to that

If you can flesh out these characters before the next OT film then do it, will benefit the OT big time with alot of these not well fleshed out characters
No it wouldn't be better. DOFP will change some of the past so they won't be true prequels anymore anyway. They'll technically be two distinct timelines for the audience from then on.

It makes sense to give a sequel to the OT cast so we can really see what the altered future is like. It's the more sensible continuation of DOFP.

xDOFPx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #39
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
While X-Men: First Class is probably my favorite of the series, I actually prefer the main trilogy characters and time period. I feel it's more iconic.
Definitely. I'd prefer the FC actors were in modern times. If they could somehow make that work, that would be a perfect scenario for me. But that aint gonna happen.

Although an 80s FC flick does sound pretty friggen rad.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I would go equal treatment. I'd like to see a Sinister film for FC 3. Then an AoA film with the OT cast right after. Maybe even make a trilogy out of it, although you could film some flashback scenes and move them into the AoA movie. I'd like to see FC 3 and AoA filmed back to back. X-Force can get a more action oriented director that also ties into AoA. Three more films should about cover it and wrap up the saga. It's like three trilogies of X-Men right there.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #41
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
No it wouldn't be better. DOFP will change some of the past so they won't be true prequels anymore anyway. They'll technically be two distinct timelines for the audience from then on.

It makes sense to give a sequel to the OT cast so we can really see what the altered future is like. It's the more sensible continuation of DOFP.
We don't know that Days Of Future Past is changing the future / creating a parallel timeline.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #42
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post

what the alternative future where cyclops is alive... some how because stuff differently happened that we wont know about? i'm assuming they will keep FC and OT in continuity and in which case whatever happens in FC sequel will explain the events that follows the new timeline, i honestly do think singer has a plan there to fix alot of the continuity problems

i know some are saying maybe they will split the timeline into different directions in which case i'm not quite sure about that, i have my doubts that is the case

you can't change the future for the OT and also go a different timeline with the FC, i'm not sure that makes sense to do both

Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #43
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I would go equal treatment. I'd like to see a Sinister film for FC 3. Then an AoA film with the OT cast right after. Maybe even make a trilogy out of it, although you could film some flashback scenes and move them into the AoA movie. I'd like to see FC 3 and AoA filmed back to back. X-Force can get a more action oriented director that also ties into AoA. Three more films should about cover it and wrap up the saga. It's like three trilogies of X-Men right there.
i agree

Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
what the alternative future where cyclops is alive... some how because stuff differently happened that we wont know about? i'm assuming they will keep FC and OT in continuity and in which case whatever happens in FC sequel will explain the events that follows the new timeline, i honestly do think singer has a plan there to think alot of the continuity problems

i know some are saying maybe they will split the timeline into different directions in which case i'm not quite sure about that, i have my doubts that is the case

you can't change the future for the OT and also go a different timeline with the FC, i'm not sure that makes sense to do both
I think the OT will eventually play itself out coming off the changes made in 1973, but it will be a slightly different variation of the OT. I don't think you can change Stryker or Jean's fates because that would undo X2 and X3 entirely. I still think we are stuck with that version of the Phoenix for now, but a different incarnation could always appear later on.

Honestly, the Cyclops thing, I think he will be written back in if Singer is gungho about providing fan service. I could see the future scenes where the X-Men are outgunned, but Cyclops comes back as a last minute reveal. We have a three year gap from The Wolverine after credit scene and TLS, and another seven years until DoFP (future). That means there is plenty of time to explain Cyke's possible whereabouts. Considering the future is only supposed to be an action packed 45-50 minutes or so, I can see them slipping Marsden in at some point.

Outside of that, I don't think the fans have too many problems with the current narrative and the way things played out in the OT.

Last edited by Mr.M; 08-13-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I think the OT will eventually play itself out coming off the changes made in 1973, but it will be a slightly different variation of the OT. I don't think you can change Stryker or Jean's fates because that would undo X2 and X3 entirely. I still think we are stuck with that version of the Phoenix for now, but a different incarnation could always appear later on.

Honestly, the Cyclops thing, I think he will be written back in if Singer is gungho about providing fan service. I could see the future scenes where the X-Men are outgunned, but Cyclops comes back as a last minute reveal. We have a three year gap from The Wolverine after credit scene and TLS, and another seven years until DoFP (future). That means there is plenty of time to explain Cyke's possible whereabouts. Considering the future is only supposed to be an action packed 45-50 minutes or so, I can see them slipping Marsden in at some point.

Outside of that, I don't think the fans have too many problems with the current narrative and the way things played out in the OT.
I don't even know if we're gonna get that much, that's like half the movie almost. But I'd love it if that were the case.

I don't know what they are gonna do with potential timelines. I have a few theories.

The main, prevailing one, is:

X-Men: First Class -> X-Men Origins: Wolverine -> X-Men -> X2 -> X-Men: The Last Stand -> The Wolverine are all a singular timeline, and it is this timeline that leads to the future of X-Men: Days Of Future Past. So the future portions of the film are all within the same timeline as the previous 6 movies.

So from there, we have the time travel back to 1973. The comic book storyline of Days Of Future Past has Kitty Pryde returning to the future, and nothing has changed. But I believe the time travel now has 2 main possibilities:

1.) The time travel exists in the above listed timeline, meaning the events of Wolverine traveling to the past, meeting Xavier and Magneto, and whatever happens in 1973, is all part of the timeline. It won't actually undo or change a single thing, because this is what always happened in the timeline to begin with. The Xavier and Magneto that we see in X-Men met Logan in 1973 and experienced whatever it is they will experience in the movie, and this is what always happened. But it will also mean that the bleak, apocalyptic future will always happen, as that's what's meant to happen. Nothing can be nor will be changed. This theory presents the timeline as follows:

X-Men: First Class (1944-1963) -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (1973) -> X-Men Origins: Wolverine (1975-1981) -> X-Men (2013) -> X2 (2013) -> X-Men: The Last Stand (2013) -> The Wolverine (2014-2016) -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2023)

Future First Class movies will fit in on that timeline anywhere between X-Men: Days Of Future Past and X-Men (1973-2013), and the possibility exists for future main trilogy cast X-Men films taking place in or after this bleak future.

2.) The original timeline of the 6 movies remains the same, leading to the events of 2023 Days Of Future Past. However, the time travel events of Days Of Future Past -aren't- part of the natural history of the timeline - I.E.: The Xavier and Magneto that we met in X-Men never met Logan, he had never time traveled in time yet, and the time travel will change the events of 1973. This adds many different options.

a. Logan traveling back in time is obviously a new development for the time frame as we know it, and doesn't necessarily need to match up with Xavier and Magneto not knowing Logan in X-Men, because they wouldn't have until 2023 came along and Logan had to be sent in time. But the events of X-Men: Days Of Future Past do change the events that lead up to the Sentinel takeover, and it never happens. However, outside of that, that's the only real change that's made. The Sentinel takeover never happens, but the rest of the timeline plays out the same way. This timeline looks as follows:

X-Men: First Class -> X-Men Origins: Wolverine -> X-Men -> X2 -> X-Men: The Last Stand -> The Wolverine -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2023) -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (1973) -> New Days Of Future Past future (2023)

b. Logan traveling back in time does create a new timeline. The original timeline exists all the same, but now instead of the events of 1973 leading into the main trilogy, and everything else playing out the same, a new timeline is created, and there are 2 parallel timelines that branch off of each other at the events of 1973. That leaves the timeline looking like this:

X-Men: First Class -> X-Men Origins: Wolverine -> X-Men -> X2 -> X-Men: The Last Stand -> The Wolverine -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2023) -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (1973) -> X-Men: First Class (future sequels / continuation of new cast and timeline)

Old 08-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #46
xrs13
Cold as ice

I think they could focus on both by having the FC continue with different villains and the OT continuing with this set up storyline. They can bring back scott and jean really, I mean they just have to alter the timeline so she didnt die or does come back. Its no biggie seeing as this is a comic book movie

xrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #47
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

If an alternate timeline is used then any additional First Class sequels wouldn't have to lead into X-Men 1 because in an altered timeline X-Men or any subsequent events after that never or won't happen - that's the point of an alternate timeline.

Essentially that way, they could reintroduce Storm, Jean, and Cykes or hell even Kitty, Iceman, or Rogue in a late 70's or 80's setting and get away with it because it's an alternate timeline. They wouldn't have to make events connect to X1 or X2 or any other movie in that case.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #48
xrs13
Cold as ice

the only issue with that is I dont know if the general audience will get it, and thats when people really start questioning timeframes and it becomes a bigger mess than now and ahhhhh haha

xrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #49
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
the only issue with that is I dont know if the general audience will get it, and thats when people really start questioning timeframes and it becomes a bigger mess than now and ahhhhh haha
If the general audience got it in Star Trek 2009, they'd get it in this as well. It's the exact same thing.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #50
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
I think they could focus on both by having the FC continue with different villains and the OT continuing with this set up storyline. They can bring back scott and jean really, I mean they just have to alter the timeline so she didnt die or does come back. Its no biggie seeing as this is a comic book movie
"no biggie seeing as this is a comic book movie" is the same sort of dismissive attitude that gets us movies like Batman & Robin, or the hated Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, etc...

When the movies are treated seriously, and not just incorporating absurd plot arcs just cuz "it's a comic book movie" is when we get X2, X-Men: First Class, The Dark Knight trilogy, etc...

Quote:
If an alternate timeline is used then any additional First Class sequels wouldn't have to lead into X-Men 1 because in an altered timeline X-Men or any subsequent events after that never or won't happen - that's the point of an alternate timeline.

Essentially that way, they could reintroduce Storm, Jean, and Cykes in or hell even Kitty, Iceman, or Rogue in a 70's or 80's setting and get away with it because it's an alternate timeline.
I don't think they are going to go that drastic, however, as I don't see Fox investing in the past 2 movies that so blatantly and explicitly connected to a singular timeline just to toss it aside for a new one that unabashedly goes against everything set up.

I do believe this movie is being used as a "passing of the torch" from the original cast to the new cast, with the new cast going off on their own adventures, but I also believe there's going to be some sort of respect given to the original timeline going forward.

We'll find out for sure in what... 9 months?