The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Which X-Men "Cast" (Team) should FOX give priority to?
X-Men: The First Class (Team from the Past Era) 19 22.89%
The "Original X-Men" (Team from Present Era) 43 51.81%
They should try to make films featuring both around the same time 19 22.89%
I Don't Know 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #51
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: Which X-Men "Cast" (Team) should FOX give priority to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
If the general audience got it in Star Trek 2009, they'd get it in this as well. It's the exact same thing.
Except that when Star Trek 2009 came out, there hadn't been a Star Trek movie in quite some time, and was all in all a reboot that happened to use alternate timelines as their justification for rebooting.

In the case of Days Of Future Past, there will have been a movie less than a year earlier, and another one less that 3 years earlier, that blatantly connected themselves to a singular time frame. X-Men: Days Of Future Past is being marketed as a blatant sequel to the movies that came before it, where as Star Trek 2009 was marketed as a whole new deal. So no, it's not the same exact thing.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #52
xrs13
Cold as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Except that when Star Trek 2009 came out, there hadn't been a Star Trek movie in quite some time, and was all in all a reboot that happened to use alternate timelines as their justification for rebooting.

In the case of Days Of Future Past, there will have been a movie less than a year earlier, and another one less that 3 years earlier, that blatantly connected themselves to a singular time frame. X-Men: Days Of Future Past is being marketed as a blatant sequel to the movies that came before it, where as Star Trek 2009 was marketed as a whole new deal. So no, it's not the same exact thing.
this is what I mean, its more the fact if the OT were to continue then it would be confusing having two sets of x-men films when one was a prequel that became a new timeline so no longer has anything to do with the other films, and then what we get another prequel for the OT showing how Scott and the likes were found.

also by "its a comic book movie" I am applying the logic that in x-men phoenix does return along with lots of other characters, especially now Xavier is back, I don't think it makes sense to say he can but nobody else should because then it doesn't have the same impact. My gripe with X3 handling of phoenix was that it didn't really have an impact for me personally. I felt more from Xavier tiny scene at the end of the wolverine than I did for phoenix in the entire movie of x3. I think if they were to have the timeline changed and go to the age of apocalypse it could very easily be done where Scott and Jean come back, heck even have Scott evil because sinister has taken him under his wing.

You usually say that films like x3 cant be ignored but the very point you made just then kinda says that should be the case, because x1 and 2 were tonally far darker than 3 and so many characters died in that which I found moved the films into the fantastical rather than the serious. Granted Singer seems to be moving it back but like I said in a "comic book movie" anything can happen and should happen provided there is a good enough reason

xrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #53
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I have said it once and il say it again an at least 1 more FC sequel is a must and it would be better for it to happen first after DOFP after xForce you can make mcavoy and fassbender look older, mcavoy will probably be bald as xavier at that point

But if you want to carry on with characters like cyclops,jean and storm in a new light I think it would work to give us a fresh view on the backstory of certain characters

Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #54
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

If they were to continue with the First Class Cast, I honestly wonder if they'll try to explain on how Xavier and Magneto didn't know who Wolverine was at the start of “X-Men 1”. I mean unless Xavier and Magneto, along with everyone else from the group in the 70’s had their memory wiped out, how would they not know Wolverine, let alone a lot of other things after Wolverine’s travel to the past?

Also, regarding the original cast, I think it’d be better to get a few more films out of them first then move on completely with the new cast since best to use Ian and Patrick while they can still perform their roles so that they don’t have to do some major recasting later on.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #55
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
this is what I mean, its more the fact if the OT were to continue then it would be confusing having two sets of x-men films when one was a prequel that became a new timeline so no longer has anything to do with the other films, and then what we get another prequel for the OT showing how Scott and the likes were found.

also by "its a comic book movie" I am applying the logic that in x-men phoenix does return along with lots of other characters, especially now Xavier is back, I don't think it makes sense to say he can but nobody else should because then it doesn't have the same impact. My gripe with X3 handling of phoenix was that it didn't really have an impact for me personally. I felt more from Xavier tiny scene at the end of the wolverine than I did for phoenix in the entire movie of x3. I think if they were to have the timeline changed and go to the age of apocalypse it could very easily be done where Scott and Jean come back, heck even have Scott evil because sinister has taken him under his wing.

You usually say that films like x3 cant be ignored but the very point you made just then kinda says that should be the case, because x1 and 2 were tonally far darker than 3 and so many characters died in that which I found moved the films into the fantastical rather than the serious. Granted Singer seems to be moving it back but like I said in a "comic book movie" anything can happen and should happen provided there is a good enough reason
But Phoenix came back in the comics because she was a cosmic goddess. This is not the case in the movies. In the movies, Phoenix is nothing more than a split persona for Jean Grey. Jean never died at the end of X2 - her powers kept her alive underneath Alkali Lake. She then later -allowed- herself to be killed on Alcatraz. And Xavier apparently never died in X-Men: The Last Stand, as he was able to transfer his consciousness to another body which is why he's alive, why he can come back and others can't. These fates have already been easily explained.

Bringing Jean back only needlessly convolutes the story. You can say Jean transferred her consciousness, but that defeats the purpose of her allowing herself to be killed in the first place. Cyclops doesn't have mind control powers, he's not a telepath, and it was established by Jean Grey and Professor X alike - both the characters that have psychic bonds with him - that he was killed.

These people aren't coming back. Nor should they.

I didn't make any point that said X-Men 3 (or any other X-Men film) should be ignored.

It actually removes the meaning for deaths when everyone can come back from it, not the other way around.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #56
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Original cast of course! They've got the eye of a tiger!

They're more appealing as a group, the characters that they are portraying are more well-known and this movie series peaked with them.

Quote:
I think for longevity sake it would certainly have to be the First Class team.
They won't have longevity, because their films won't sell that much compare to the films featuring the OT cast.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-13-2013 at 10:19 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #57
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Original cast of course! They've got the eye of a tiger!

They're more appealing as a group, the characters that they are portraying are more well-known and this movie series peaked with them.

They won't have longevity, because their films won't sell that much compare to the films featuring the OT cast.
Young Magneto and Xavier appeal to alot of people, an a mystique with a personality does as well.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #58
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I think they should move forward with a FC sequel first, followed by a sequel with the OT cast. But simply taking into account the casts as they are now, I'll take Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, Colossus, Shadowcat, and Rogue over the FC quartet.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #59
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
Young Magneto and Xavier appeal to alot of people, an a mystique with a personality does as well.
They are still not that recognizable compare to Patrick's portrayal of Prof X and Ian's portrayal of Magneto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I think they should move forward with a FC sequel first, followed by a sequel with the OT cast. But simply taking into account the casts as they are now, I'll take Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, Colossus, Shadowcat, and Rogue over the FC quartet.
A first Class sequel can really wait. James/Michael needs to AGE! if they are really gonna bring the younger version of Cyke, Ororo and Jean.

And my dream line-up for X5 - Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Shadowcat, Rogue, Bishop, Psylocke and the return of the Cyclops. I think Prof X will be back too since I don't see them killing him again. Magneto/Mystique should take a break after DOFP.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #60
Farren
Side Kicker

The only original characters that still hold interest for me are Ian!Magneto and Hugh!Wolverine.

Team McFassbender!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #61
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Neither team should get priority.

There is still alot of story they can and should tell with the past X-Men, and alot they need to tell with the Future/Present X-Men. Especially with X-Force, The Fantastic Four, Singer's Mashup film, and the inevitable Age of Apocalypse film all being in the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #62
semperfibrandy
Side-Kick

Well in reality, the OT cast should in my opinion seeing it's been next year 8 years since we have seen them all together. There is plenty of time to do the younger generation.

semperfibrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #63
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
the only issue with that is I dont know if the general audience will get it, and thats when people really start questioning timeframes and it becomes a bigger mess than now and ahhhhh haha
Quote:
If the general audience got it in Star Trek 2009, they'd get it in this as well. It's the exact same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post

Actually I had no idea the Star Trek reboot was set in an alternate universe to the original Star Trek series when I saw the movie. Like I only found out about it in the internet last year.

This "alternate universe" shtick wouldn't work to X-Men. And as if the First Class cast can capture the success of the first three X-Men movies. If they can, it wouldn't be a bad idea to move forward with them but I don't think thats the case. DOFP wouldn't be buzzing so much right now, if its only featuring the FC cast.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-14-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #64
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I love how people cite that the OT is more iconic, essentially denying the chance for the FC cast to reach that status, too. DoFP is going to surprise lots of people, I think.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #65
semperfibrandy
Side-Kick

Well I don't think that's it's more iconic. It's just what we originally got. I'm hoping we get plenty of movies from OT and maybe 2 or 3 more from FC.

semperfibrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #66
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Well the OT is more iconic in the way that the original Star Trek cast is always going to be more iconic than the reboot cast. But just because Nimoy and Shatner are more iconic it doesn't mean that they will or should still be doing movies with them.

In any case, I suspect that if more present-day movies get made, they will largely revolve around Wolverine plus some brand new characters, with characters like Kitty, Rogue etc. mostly relegated to the sides, kinda the way they are likely to be in DoFP. I don't think that they'll ever be promoted to more prominent roles. I mean with DoFP, there was absolutely no reason why they couldn't think of a way to have a group of characters from the future travelling into the past, the fact that Wolverine is the only one is IMO telling.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #67
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The difference between the OT cast of the X-Men and the OT cast of Star Trek are the OT cast of the X-Men still look good for their age, they are still bankable, marketable and obviously, they are still willing to return and people still get excited with them. Of course its silly to think that they should play these characters forever, but as of right now, they still look good and if DOFP ended up outgrossing all the previous X-Men films, it will be a strong indication that the GA are more interested to seeing the cast that started this film series.

Maybe if Hugh/Halle are already in their mid 50s, it would be the right time to replace them but as of right now, thats not the case. So FOX should take advantage of this and release more films with the OT cast while Hugh/Halle still looks good for their age and the rest of the OT cast are still willing to return.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-14-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #68
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
In any case, I suspect that if more present-day movies get made, they will largely revolve around Wolverine plus some brand new characters, with characters like Kitty, Rogue etc. mostly relegated to the sides, kinda the way they are likely to be in DoFP. I don't think that they'll ever be promoted to more prominent roles. I mean with DoFP, there was absolutely no reason why they couldn't think of a way to have a group of characters from the future travelling into the past, the fact that Wolverine is the only one is IMO telling.
Not really. OT characters like Shadowcat and Rogue might have been relegated to the sides in DOFP but thats because the film is also featuring the first class cast and the another time period. We don't know if thats gonna happen in X5.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #69
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Halle looks great for her age, but I struggle to think of a CBM franchise that has a woman over 45 in a leading role.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #70
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Halle looks great for her age, but I struggle to think of a CBM franchise that has a woman over 45 in a leading role.
So her age should be an issue now?

And just because most CBM franchises doesn't have a woman over 45 in a leading role, its not a big reason to ditch Halle Berry to make room for less-appealing cast.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-14-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #71
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Her age -is- the issue as far as Hollywood is concerned. There are plenty of great-looking actresses over 40 around with not that many great roles to share, and certainly not leading roles in comic book movies.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #72
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Her age -is- the issue as far as Hollywood is concerned. There are plenty of great-looking actresses over 40 around with not that many great roles to share, and certainly not leading roles in comic book movies.
Well its not like her role as Storm expires when she reaches that certain age. Halle Berry already appeared in 3 X-Men films and next year, in her 4th X-Men film. Its not like they are just about to cast her as Storm.

And with that logic, I guess they should recast Pepper Potts in a few years since Gwyneth Paltrow is already in her early 40s.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-14-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #73
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Pepper Potts is a different kind of role, she's a love interest and a character with an important relationship to the main hero. Storm was never really established that way.

Besides, are they making any more Iron Man films?

Like I said, I don't mean to say that Storm is not going to show up in any present-day films that might get made, I just wouldn't expect her to have a major role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Not really. OT characters like Shadowcat and Rogue might have been relegated to the sides in DOFP but thats because the film is also featuring the first class cast and the another time period.
But it was totally up to the filmmakers to decide who is going to play major roles in this movie. If they wanted Kitty and Rogue to be the main players instead of the FC cast, they would have found a way to do it.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 08-14-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #74
The Batman
The Dark Knight

There is no decent reason why the OT franchise deserves more focus than the FC franchise. I mean...other than studio greed & fanboy nostalgia.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #75
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

I love the OT but I would like to see what they can do with FC moving forward as well. I think it would be cool to be backstory of some underutilized characters in the movie. Seeing a young Storm,Jean, and Scott would be awesome to me.

BeholdMe is offline   Reply With Quote