The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Which X-Men "Cast" (Team) should FOX give priority to?
X-Men: The First Class (Team from the Past Era) 19 22.89%
The "Original X-Men" (Team from Present Era) 43 51.81%
They should try to make films featuring both around the same time 19 22.89%
I Don't Know 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #76
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which X-Men "Cast" (Team) should FOX give priority to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well the OT is more iconic in the way that the original Star Trek cast is always going to be more iconic than the reboot cast. But just because Nimoy and Shatner are more iconic it doesn't mean that they will or should still be doing movies with them.

In any case, I suspect that if more present-day movies get made, they will largely revolve around Wolverine plus some brand new characters, with characters like Kitty, Rogue etc. mostly relegated to the sides, kinda the way they are likely to be in DoFP. I don't think that they'll ever be promoted to more prominent roles. I mean with DoFP, there was absolutely no reason why they couldn't think of a way to have a group of characters from the future travelling into the past, the fact that Wolverine is the only one is IMO telling.
Scheduling. Just too many moving parts to isolate all these actors and have them clear their schedules for a few months, unless you are paying them a ****load of money. Jackman probably had nothing major lined up following The Wolverine, and Fox nabbed him for another Wolverine role. They probably sold it to him based on the fact it was annother ensemble and Jackman being a team player and all. Plus, he's still the lead in DoFP. They can't pay everybody to be leads, especially when you already have the FC cast. Making Kitty a time traveler would not have have generated the kind of buzz DoFP is currently getting. Collectively, you do generate that buzz.

Last edited by Mr.M; 08-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #77
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They won't have longevity, because their films won't sell that much compare to the films featuring the OT cast.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #78
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Not to sound negative, but they need to make as many good movies with Steward and Mckellen before they leave us.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #79
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Not to sound negative, but they need to make as many good movies with Steward and Mckellen before they leave us.
They've already given us enough. Picard, Gandalf, two trilogies of LotR, 4 Trek movies plus Generations, X-Men... there is only so much the fans can ask for. I think they are probably done after this. I'm assuming there roles will be pretty light but singnifcant in DoFP, which I expect will be there final appearance as these characters.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #80
Lord
All Mighty

We all know WOlverine will have all the priority

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #81
def28
Side-Kick

Scott and Jean's introduction and relationship are fairly crucial to the the X-Men mythos. We have yet to really see any of that yet. Add Ororo's backstory, Sinister as a villain, Genosha or the possibilites of Gambit, Polaris and Dazzler and you can have a really strong FC sequel. There can also be Havok and Cyclops sibling rivalry if Alex doesn't bite the dust in DOFP. Which I think would play out really well.

The only thing Im dieing to see from the OT cast the way they are set up is AOA. I'll take that over a FC movie. Otherwise I'd prefer they stick with FC because that team roster can get good in the 80s. If they change up alot of the continuity in DOFP I guess that can lead to some more possibilities with the OT. But right now I'm more interested in seeing new takes on Cyclops, Storm and Jean. I just see them retreading the same things in the original trilogy if they go the route of the OT with bringing Cyc and Jean back. We already know how they end, and what they are like later in their lifes. Not as many new things to explore. Singers not gonna change his vision of X1 and 2 completely so it's gonna be more of the same. I also don't see Singer all of a sudden taking an interest in Berrys Storm, so a younger version is the best bet for that character to get any development attention imo.

Last edited by def28; 08-14-2013 at 01:47 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #82
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I also don't see Singer all of a sudden taking an interest in Berrys Storm, so a younger version is the best bet for that character to get any development attention imo.
Well I wouldn't be so sure, it seems like if it wasn't for Halle Berry's pregnancy she would have featured quite heavily in DOFP.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #83
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I don't think they would consider bringing back the OT cast unless an AoA film was on the table. Otherwise the universe with the OT is probably done, and whomever gets cast for FC 3 will probably continue in those roles in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Well I wouldn't be so sure, it seems like if it wasn't for Halle Berry's pregnancy she would have featured quite heavily in DOFP.
Insert Cyclops...

Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #84
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
We shall see when it comes out. This film has been confirmed to mostly take place in the past so I doubt that. Either way movie Storm has zero backstory and I don't ever see that being explored this late in the game with Berry in the role.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #85
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
her pregnancy only effected action scenes, if she was to have character development then pregnancy wouldn't effect that

storm hasn't really been given much to develop anyway

Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #86
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Halle could have still done heavy dialogue. If anything, whatever action she sees in the film was cut short. That could mean the character gets injured or dies, but Halle would still be able to do the dialogue if that's the case. So while her action was cut short, I doubt her role in the story and screenplay was impacted much. I don't think they wanted to pay Halle for a feature role with the money they figured they had to spend, and Halle was a team player and took a smaller role regardless.

Gueststar beat me to it...

Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #87
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Scott and Jean's introduction and relationship are fairly crucial to the the X-Men mythos. We have yet to really see any of that yet. Add Ororo's backstory, Sinister as a villain, Genosha or the possibilites of Gambit, Polaris and Dazzler and you can have a really strong FC sequel. There can also be Havok and Cyclops sibling rivalry if Alex doesn't bite the dust in DOFP. Which I think would play out really well.

The only thing Im dieing to see from the OT cast the way they are set up is AOA. I'll take that over a FC movie. Otherwise I'd prefer they stick with FC because that team roster can get good in the 80s. If they change up alot of the continuity in DOFP I guess that can lead to some more possibilities with the OT. But right now I'm more interested in seeing new takes on Cyclops, Storm and Jean. I just see them retreading the same things in the original trilogy if they go the route of the OT with bringing Cyc and Jean back. We already know how they end, and what they are like later in their lifes. Not as many new things to explore. Singers not gonna change his vision of X1 and 2 completely so it's gonna be more of the same. I also don't see Singer all of a sudden taking an interest in Berrys Storm, so a younger version is the best bet for that character to get any development attention imo.
So agree with everything you said here. So much more room to grow and tell more stories and introduce more characters if they move forward with the First Class crew instead of the OT cast.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #88
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
her pregnancy only effected action scenes, if she was to have character development then pregnancy wouldn't effect that

storm hasn't really been given much to develop anyway
I'm not too sure about that, i used to think that but then this relatively recent interview with Halle has got me thinking.

Quote:
I was so happy to work with Bryan [Singer] again and I think it was nice for everyone to get back together. I wasn't in as much as I was meant to be though," Halle adds, referring to her pregnancy. "That kind of coloured what my involvement could be, which was why I was one of the first ones in and the first ones out," she says. "My ever-growing belly was posing a constant challenge! What I could do was getting more limited so the role that I play is so different from what it could have been, due to my surprise pregnancy.
http://www.**************.com/fansit...Wkt4G1lwgeb.99

If all it did was affect her action scenes why didn't she say so. I think her pregnancy somehow impacted the role as a whole. She isn't in the movie as much as she was meant to be. If this movie just affects her action scenes then why is her role 'so different than what it could have been' I doubt they would remove Storm from all action scenes and thus her role really wouldn't be all that different especially if she retains all her other non-action scenes. I think her pregnancy affected her role greatly.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #89
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I'm not too sure about that, i used to think that but then this relatively recent interview with Halle has got me thinking.

http://www.**************.com/fansit...Wkt4G1lwgeb.99

If all it did was affect her action scenes why didn't she say so. I think her pregnancy somehow impacted the role as a whole. She isn't in the movie as much as she was meant to be. If this movie just affects her action scenes then why is her role 'so different than what it could have been' I doubt they would remove Storm from all action scenes and thus her role really wouldn't be all that different especially if she retains all her other non-action scenes. I think her pregnancy affected her role greatly.
That quote disheartens me a lot. We could finally have had a brilliant and powerful Storm (under Singer's direction to ensure no repeats of the X3 stuff) but it sounds like it's now much diluted. I wonder what was cut. Pregnancy has an obvious effect on physical stuff - fighting, flying in a harness, running.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #90
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
That quote disheartens me a lot. We could finally have had a brilliant and powerful Storm (under Singer's direction to ensure no repeats of the X3 stuff) but it sounds like it's now much diluted. I wonder what was cut. Pregnancy has an obvious effect on physical stuff - fighting, flying in a harness, running.
I echo you sentiments. But I'm still hoping that what we do get from Storm in DOFP is still great and that we get to see more of her in sequels to come.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #91
Mars123
Side-Kick

But remember halle was happy with the secret revelation in the movie so there's something to look forward to!

Mars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #92
semperfibrandy
Side-Kick

Anybody have a clue what the revelation could be? I know I read that it has something to do with her character that needed to be addressed. I just can't think about what that could be.

semperfibrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #93
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
There is no decent reason why the OT franchise deserves more focus than the FC franchise. I mean...other than studio greed & fanboy nostalgia.
And as if the FC franchise would keep the franchise running for more than a decade. Its not just the fanboys who want to see the OT cast back. To see this day, people are asking for a X-Men 4 movie and now that the OT cast is officially back. X-Men is once again on people's radar. Its actually the fanboys who are pushing for a FC series/trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Pepper Potts is a different kind of role, she's a love interest and a character with an important relationship to the main hero. Storm was never really established that way. Besides, are they making any more Iron Man films?

Like I said, I don't mean to say that Storm is not going to show up in any present-day films that might get made, I just wouldn't expect her to have a major role.
And Storm is not even the lead character in any of the movies. And you mentioned you are struggling to think of a CBM franchise that has a woman over 45 in a leading role.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-14-2013 at 08:22 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #94
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
You can't argue the fact that a X-Men film just featuring the FC cast won't outsell all X-Men films. If FOX thinks they will earn more money with the OT cast, they will be making more films with them. Plain and simple. And look at the film that we are getting next year, its more of a direct sequel to X3 than a sequel of First Class.

First Class set up a lot of things for a potential First Class 2 film, but those things are not happening (for example, Emma Frost not returning) because they are mixing the FC cast with the OT cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
So agree with everything you said here. So much more room to grow and tell more stories and introduce more characters if they move forward with the First Class crew instead of the OT cast.
And that can't be said if they move forward with the OT cast. All they need to do are put the focus on the team and not just Wolverine and introduce more characters (which they did in X2/X3). There's more limitations to First Class and people will just see those films as pre-X1 films and if they couldn't connect the things that already happened in the original trilogy, then that would lead to a lot of questions from the GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I don't think they would consider bringing back the OT cast unless an AoA film was on the table. Otherwise the universe with the OT is probably done, and whomever gets cast for FC 3 will probably continue in those roles in the future.
I doubt it.

With Singer fully-involved again and Vaughn/Goldman not rewritting the script for DOFP. The future looks bright for the OT cast.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-14-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #95
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
And as if the FC franchise would keep the franchise running for more than a decade. Its not just the fanboys who want to see the OT cast back.

"as if" The FC cast keeping this franchise going for a decade+ is a perfectly reasonable expectation. Their popularity is only growing, they are YOUNG, and there are plenty of x-men stories that can be told through them.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #96
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
"as if" The FC cast keeping this franchise going for a decade+ is a perfectly reasonable expectation. Their popularity is only growing, they are YOUNG, and there are plenty of x-men stories that can be told through them.
Like what? Origin stories of Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey? Even if they have a dozen stories to tell, its not gonna change the fact that those stories will be set in the past, set before the first X-Men film. And if they will retcon all the modern-day X-Men films such as X1, X2, X3, The Wolverine and the modern-day characters of DOFP. I don't think that would really help the series.

And with their plans of doing a X-Force movie and a possible team-up of FF/X-Men, I doubt those two teams will be set in the previous decade too.

Its better if they move forward to the present and do the crazy big stuffs with more well-known characters such as Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Shadowcat, Colossus, etc... For Cyclops/Jean Grey, if the GA really want to see those two characters again, FOX would probably just bring back James Marsden/Famke Jannsen.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #97
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
You can't argue the fact that a X-Men film just featuring the FC cast won't outsell all X-Men films. If FOX thinks they will earn more money with the OT cast, they will be making more films with them. Plain and simple. And look at the film that we are getting next year, its more of a direct sequel to X3 than a sequel of First Class.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #98
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

^

Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #99
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Obviously, you can't argue your points very well, if you are just gonna post pictures like that.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #100
TheGoddess
Banned User

Just give me my damn Storm Origins: Memoirs of A Goddess

Or sum ish!!
I don't care if it's with Halle or a new actress. Her back story is one of the most detailed and one of the best out of ALL the X-men.I like her story more than Logan. We get the same **** about him being a part of weapon X, being a soldier, participating in many different wars, aging slowly, can't remember his past etc..

It's bad enough they over saturate him in the comic world.

It's the obvious way to go.The only X-men who are with origin stories though are Gambit, Wolvie and Storm.

I think both timelines could co-exist though.

TheGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote