The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
palewest
Side-Kick

Default the TIMELINE thread

What happens when?

There are obviously three timelines the movie is focusing on.

1973 - Sentinels first developed, first genetically modified organism created

2013 - First hybrid human/mutant gene created

2023 - Sentinels upgraded to Mark X

If there is an assassination to be stopped, do you think that is in 1973 or 2013?

What is the relevance of the hybrid gene being developed in our "present" time?

palewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Default Re: the TIMELINE thread

well if there is an assassination it will probably be 1973 but at same time singer may have thrown out the assassination thing and changed it, who knows

Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Double B
Side-Kick

My theory is that Wolverine will warn Xavier and Magneto of the awful future in 1973, and as they discuss ways to avert, Magneto will decide that the assassination of Trask is necessary and they have to stop him.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
palewest
Side-Kick

I suspect Magneto and his Brotherhood originally assassinated someone in response to the original development of Sentinels. This unexpectedly causes things to go further down that anti-mutant path, and ends up with the dystopian future of 2023. The X-Men have to fight the Brotherhood in 1973 to avoid that.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by palewest View Post
I suspect Magneto and his Brotherhood originally assassinated someone in response to the original development of Sentinels. This unexpectedly causes things to go further down that anti-mutant path, and ends up with the dystopian future of 2023. The X-Men have to fight the Brotherhood in 1973 to avoid that.
not according to what we heard from the comic con trailer

Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
palewest
Side-Kick

Do tell

Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Roguefan
Side-Kick

I wonder if we'll see a young senator kelly. Are there any other characters from X-Men that were proactively anti-mutant that haven't appeared on film?

Roguefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Maybe in the 80s we can see senator Kelly again

Old 08-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguefan View Post
I wonder if we'll see a young senator kelly. Are there any other characters from X-Men that were proactively anti-mutant that haven't appeared on film?
- Stephen Lang - helped build the Sentinels
- Cameron Hodge - Warren Worthington's old friend who was secretly working for the The Right doing anti-mutant stuff
- Graydon Creed - founded Friends of Humanity (not sure how big he was in the comics)
- Donald Pierce - member of the Hellfire Club
- Henry Gyrich - (Not positive on his anti-mutant-ness; he tends to piss off every superhero in one way or another)

Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Roguefan
Side-Kick

Hmm, maybe he's a kid and he gets scarred by some mutant event of some sort? or yeah, the 80's would be FC2...

regarding timelines, I wonder how cerebral DOFP will be. I like movies that make you think about the plot and movies that play with timelines, but I wonder if that would work for an X-Film.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Roguefan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
- Cameron Hodge - Warren Worthington's old friend who was secretly working for the The Right doing anti-mutant stuff
- Graydon Creed - founded Friends of Humanity (not sure how big he was in the comics)
- Henry Gyrich - (Not positive on his anti-mutant-ness; he tends to piss off every superhero in one way or another)
Cool Thanks! What about Angel's father?
And are there other human character that believe in mutant rights? Like Moira McTaggert?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguefan View Post
Cool Thanks! What about Angel's father?
And are there other human character that believe in mutant rights? Like Moira McTaggert?
IIRC in the comics Angel's parents didn't really care that he was a mutant. But don't hold me to that. Given that X3 established him as being in the cure business though I suppose he's a possibility (although personally I doubt it).

I'm blanking on anyone other than Moira, but there probably have been some pro-mutant rights nonmutants. They've had allies in the government. I remember way back in the early 60s comics Xavier had a friend/connection in the FBI that used to hook them up, but I think everyone forgot about him.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
kasjan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Gyrich was in X1, killed by Mystique.

Graydon Creed, maybe we will see him in future movie if Mystique and Victor had child before X1.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
Gyrich was in X1, killed by Mystique.
whoops, I guess I totally missed that one. haha

Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

This might come across as overly nitpicky, but this movie isn't dealing with three timelines; it's dealing with three time periods.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
This might come across as overly nitpicky, but this movie isn't dealing with three timelines; it's dealing with three time periods.
I like it to look it that way.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
IIRC in the comics Angel's parents didn't really care that he was a mutant. But don't hold me to that. Given that X3 established him as being in the cure business though I suppose he's a possibility (although personally I doubt it).

I'm blanking on anyone other than Moira, but there probably have been some pro-mutant rights nonmutants. They've had allies in the government. I remember way back in the early 60s comics Xavier had a friend/connection in the FBI that used to hook them up, but I think everyone forgot about him.
Oliver Platt!

Quote:
whoops, I guess I totally missed that one. haha
It's not a blatantly obvious inclusion. Easy to miss.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
TheFBI
Side-Kick

Itd be cool if we could get an infographic on this, showing the diverging paths and where each movie fits. Something similar to this: but obviously with the creation of sentinels/whatever changes the timeline

Last edited by TheFBI; 08-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.
TheFBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
palewest
Side-Kick

Quote:
Good point.

Well, I guess there are two timelines:

- crisis happens, dystopian future
- crisis averted, everyone lives happily ever after

Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ There's no evidence that we're getting an alternate timeline. Even if certain details are changed by the time travel in DoFP, we'll still have one timeline, just one that's been slightly altered.

As for how things line specifically line up, here are two breakdowns (one each covering the two possible placements of Origins: Wolverine) of events to date:
Breakdown #1
1962 - First Class
1973/1979 - DoFP (past); Origins: Wolverine
2003 - X-Men (bulk); X2: X-Men United; The Last Stand
2004/2006 - The Wolverine
2013 - DoFP (present)
2023 - DoFP (future)

Breakdown #2
1962 - First Class
1973 - DoFP (past)
1975/1981 - Origins: Wolverine
2003 - X-Men; X2: X-Men United; The Last Stand
2004/2006 - The Wolverine
2013 - DoFP (present)
2023 - DoFP (future)

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett

Last edited by DigificWriter; 08-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

here's for now how i think we should be looking at films

1840's-begining of Origins
1860's-Wolverine and Sabretooth In civil way(Origins)
circa 1917-Wolverine and Sabretotth In World war 1(Origins)
1944-Magneto as boy sent to conceration camp(X-Men/first Class) Boy Xavier meets young Mystique,Shaw and Young Magneto(First Class) Wolverine and
Sabretooth on D-Day(Origins)
1945-Wolverine as prisoner In japan(The Wolverine)
1962-Most of X-men;First Class
around 1973-Wolvine and sabretooth In vietnam,recruited In Team X and mission In Africa(Origins)
early 1973-Past part of X-Menays of Future Past
around 1979-the rest of Origins
1990's-Young Angel with father(X-Men:The Last Stand)
Sometime In the 2000's-The events of X-Men/X2/The Last Stand
2010's-The events of the wolverine
the post credit scene of the wolverine
The near future of DOFP
2023-the post apocalpyic prologue of DOFP

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ There's no evidence that we're getting an alternate timeline. Even if certain details are changed by the time travel in DoFP, we'll still have one timeline, just one that's been slightly altered.
"We've cracked it in a way that it makes sense. I had a two-hour conversation with James Cameron about time travel, string theory, multiverses and all that. You have to create your rules and stick with them. That's why Terminator and Back To The Future work so well. And there are certain mechanisms in X-Men, certain powers, perceptions and characters, that make this possible."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36317

“We also wanted to play with the notion of different times and stuff like the way that time affects destinies. It enables the film to not just be a sequel to First Class or X-Men 3 but to actually be its own thing.”

http://latino-review.com/2013/05/24/...cameron-sense/

"The movie takes place at different times. It deals with, I don't want to say time travel, but time displacement. A form of time travel which is steeped more in the X-Men [mythos]."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...men-last-stand

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

@marvelrobbins: The 'present' events of DoFP take place 10 years after The Last Stand. If those events are set in the real-life present, that retroactively places the events of TLS as having taken place in 2003.

@JackMercy: Yes, Singer's said those things, but they don't necessarily mean what you think they mean, especially since he just recently said that he wasn't tossing out the continuity entirely.

He also just stated that DoFP is an 'inbetweenquel' that 'takes place about ten years, give or take, after X-MEN: THE LAST STAND; and in the past it takes place about ten years after FIRST CLASS.'

Before anyone makes the argument that creating an alternate timeline doesn't 'toss out the continuity entirely', yes, it does, because it means that, for the 'new' timeline, there IS no continuity.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #24
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
"We've cracked it in a way that it makes sense. I had a two-hour conversation with James Cameron about time travel, string theory, multiverses and all that. You have to create your rules and stick with them. That's why Terminator and Back To The Future work so well. And there are certain mechanisms in X-Men, certain powers, perceptions and characters, that make this possible."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36317

“We also wanted to play with the notion of different times and stuff like the way that time affects destinies. It enables the film to not just be a sequel to First Class or X-Men 3 but to actually be its own thing.”

http://latino-review.com/2013/05/24/...cameron-sense/

"The movie takes place at different times. It deals with, I don't want to say time travel, but time displacement. A form of time travel which is steeped more in the X-Men [mythos]."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...men-last-stand

we know we are going to get 3 different time frames

1:Prologue In 20023(SPeculation but fits the comic con previes description)
2:Sometime In the 2010's(bad assumination to point to eaxt date)
3:1973

We know from Comic con preview Xavier and Magneto In present/near future want to prevent war with sentinles by altering their destinys of 1973 by the mindswitch Involving Wolverine

Bryan Singer has mention both the terminator and back to future so this hints
at

1:Time travel helps create to some extent events of earlier films
2:At end some events of X-Men the last Stand are changed
3:Combination of 2

Old 08-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
@marvelrobbins: The 'present' events of DoFP take place 10 years after The Last Stand. If those events are set in the real-life present, that retroactively places the events of TLS as having taken place in 2003.

@JackMercy: Yes, Singer's said those things, but they don't necessarily mean what you think they mean, especially since he just recently said that he wasn't tossing out the continuity entirely.

He also just stated that DoFP is an 'inbetweenquel' that ' takes place about ten years, give or take, after X-MEN: THE LAST STAND; and in the past it takes place about ten years after FIRST CLASS.'

Before anyone makes the argument that creating an alternate timeline doesn't 'toss out the continuity entirely', yes, it does, because it means that, for the 'new' timeline, there IS no continuity.
Bryan Singer has said events in future part of DOFP takes place 10 years after last stand.But he never said the date for trilogy or the date for 10 years later.
We don't even know what year the wolverine Is suspose to take place.It's bad thing to make too many assuminations.

Yeah we know those hoping for total erasure of most of series are going to be
disappointed there Is still the correcting a few things comments which who knows.The problem Is changing too much of last stand affects the wolverine and The WOlverine has been called the Iron Man of new shared X-Men/FF Universe by Mark Millar.