The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America Sequels

View Poll Results: Who should be the "Female Lead" in the next film? Agent 13 or Black Widow?
Black Widow 9 12.68%
Sharon Carter (Agent 13) 57 80.28%
Someone Else (Specify) 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Who should be the "Female Lead" in the next film? Agent 13 or Black Widow?

Well it's no secret that there are some, if not a lot, who wished that Agent 13, aka Sharon Carter, could have been more prominent in "The Winter Soldier".

Needless to say, the belief is that her role will be expanded upon in the third Captain American film.

However, in the same time, many were impressed with both Black Widow's characterization in this film and her chemistry/interactions with Steve Rogers in this film.

So my question is, if you guys had a choice based on what you've seen so far in "The Winter Soldier", who would you guys prefer to be/remain as the "Female Lead" for the next Captain America film between Natasha/Black Widow or Sharon/Agent 13?

Or is there some other character that you guys had in mind?

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
batboy99
BTVS

Default Re: Who should be the "Female Lead" in the next film? Agent 13 or Black Widow?

Why can't we have both?

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who should be the "Female Lead" in the next film? Agent 13 or Black Widow?

If forced to choose just one, then I'd pick Sharon. I loved BW and her role in this movie, but I feel like they set it up really well for Sharon to have a much bigger role next time around. Natasha's comments at the end seemed to be deliberately pointing in that direction. I'm hoping that Marvel will finally get off of their collective asses and finally give BW her own movie.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

As much as I love BW, it was pretty clear at the end that the Russo brothers are going to use Agent 13 in the next movie.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

You know, I gotta admit, major props to the Russos for not going down the cliche route of having Steve and Natasha hooking up with each other.

I mean, seriously, it would have been so easy for them (the Russos) to pair up the two on a romantic note given how great their chemistry was. The intimacy shared between two characters, it's not often I see a fictional pairing between a man and a woman where they can be that close (and not related to each other) and yet still not cross that line.

They're pretty much the MCU's version of Harry and Hermione.lol

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
You know, I gotta admit, major props to the Russos for not going down the cliche route of having Steve and Natasha hooking up with each other.

I mean, seriously, it would have been so easy for them (the Russos) to pair up the two on a romantic note given how great their chemistry was. The intimacy shared between two characters, it's not often I see a fictional pairing between a man and a woman where they can be that close (and not related to each other) and yet still not cross that line.

They're pretty much the MCU's version of Harry and Hermione.lol
Not to mention Evans and Johansson's close friendship offscreen. I actually wouldn't have had much of a problem if Steve and Natasha HAD hooked up precisely because they had such good chemistry. But yes, it was cool to see a superhero movie go the non-traditional route in that regard for once.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I loved BW in this movie, but now its time to giver her her own movie so in Cap 3 I hope Sharon gets more focus.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(4)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(5)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(6)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(7)Godzilla-8(8)Neighbours-8(9)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(10)The Lego Movie-7.5(11)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(12)Robocop-7.5(13)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(14)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(15)47 Ronin-6(16)The Monuments Men-5(17)Ride Along-5(18)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Give BW a film and elevate Sharon's presence (and have her and Steve fight Crossbones and Sin.)

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

It's safe to assume that Black Widow won't be in the next Captain America film. They set up Sharon Carter in this film for a reason. It will be Cap, Falcon, and Carter.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

It's gonna be Black Widow, since they've already established her as a close ally of Steve's and that she's already worked with Sam and possibly has an unrevealed history with Bucky.

Sharon will have a bigger role, I'm guessing she'll be Steve and Natasha's source in the CIA. She'll offer some help in terms of intelligence or logistics, but she won't be doing the legwork or fighting the big battles.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
Raiden
What a bunch of...

I think after AOU, BW is primed for a solo movie for herself, because as a supporting character she can't really go higher after 3 Marvel movies without it, so I think it is better to make Sharon the main leading lady in Cap 3.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
If forced to choose just one, then I'd pick Sharon. I loved BW and her role in this movie, but I feel like they set it up really well for Sharon to have a much bigger role next time around. Natasha's comments at the end seemed to be deliberately pointing in that direction. I'm hoping that Marvel will finally get off of their collective asses and finally give BW her own movie.
All this.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #13
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'm curious, do they maybe want to change Sharon's relation from Peggy Carter? They would only refer to her as Sharon here. She was never revealed as a Carter.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

They could potentially make her Peggy's granddaughter, meaning Cap is indirectly responsible for Sharon even being alive.

Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I'm curious, do they maybe want to change Sharon's relation from Peggy Carter? They would only refer to her as Sharon here. She was never revealed as a Carter.
Emily VanCamp and the Russo's all referred to her as "Sharon Carter" in interviews. Also, in her first scene with Cap, she mentioned that she was on the phone with her "aunt." Anyone who knows Sharon from the comics could guess what they're probably referencing.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
HamBone
Newbie First Class

If I had to pick I guess I would go with Black Widow. Since her role is so much larger than Sharon's, plus her being in 2 other MCU films, I'm naturally more invested in her. She and Steve have great dynamic. He seems to bring out the more playful side of her. That being said, I would actually be surprise if she returned for Cap 3. And I'm going to go on record and say I don't think we'll get a BW movie. I don't think Marvel has any real intention of making one.

As for Sharon, I feel like her role in the MCU could go either way. She could become Steve's love interest in the 3rd film or she could fall to the wayside.

HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #17
seishin87
Side-Kick

I voted someone else. Not because I don't want Sharon. It's almost a given she's gonna be a bigger role, possibly the main/lead female role in Cap 3. That said I feel ScarJo as Widow in Cap has been done justice. Maybe have Nat show up in something else during Phase 3. Maybe she'll be in Ant-Man? As for Cap 3 I want them to introduce another female role, I want to see Rachel Leighton/Diamondback. She is a personal favorite of mine and basically kinda the Cap's Catwoman/Bad girl type character with a diamond and serpent theme. Not to mention her backstory ties into Crossbones, so that could be a way to develope both characters. With Sharon in the mix it would be interesting to see good girl/ bad girl type dynamic going on. I know I'm not the only one who would like to see an adaption of Diamondback.

seishin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #18
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

they pretty much set 13 up exactly like they did Natasha in IM2. They telegraphed her playing a larger role in later films.

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #19
CB Fan
The Watcher

Let Sharon take over, I was hoping to see more of her in TWS but I like the set up for the bigger role in Cap3.

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #20
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
It's safe to assume that Black Widow won't be in the next Captain America film. They set up Sharon Carter in this film for a reason. It will be Cap, Falcon, and Carter.
Going after Bucky with Crossbones getting in the way.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 04-05-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #21
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I gotta admit, a part of me feels bad that I just want to see Steve Rogers actually enjoy having the luxury of knowing what it's like to be in a actual romantic relationship with someone within the MCU, and that I'm hoping Sharon ends up taking the challenge...but in the same time, I really don't want her to be lost within the shadow of being CA's love interest.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #22
Loki882
Side-Kick

The trick is to show that she's a badass former SHIELD turned CIA agent who just happens to be dating/sleeping with Cap. She can do fine on her own, she's with Cap because she likes/loves him, period. That's how you do it.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 AM   #23
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Agent 13, of course!

As much as I liked Black Widow in the Winter Soldier, I feel like she shouldn't stay as a supporting character in Captain America movies. I think after Avengers 2, Black Widow's next appearance should be in a Hulk movie or her own movie.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #24
speno94
Side-Kick

Yeah, I think Agent 13 should be the female lead in Cap 3 as well.

I agree that Black Widow shouldn't stay a supporting character in the Cap films. I think the reason she was in this particular film is because they wanted to continue that camaraderie that BW and Cap had in the Battle of New York in Avengers and also because the audience already know who this she is, so there is no setting her up in Cap 2 and you can jump straight into the film.

Also I think they put her in this film as a nod to her relationship between her and WS in the comics even though they weren't going with the relationship route, but yeah, I don't think she will be in future Cap films.

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #25
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Black Widow.

Though I have a sneaking suspicion Whedon is going to pair her with The Hulk in Ultron (which is giving me bad Buffy/Spike flashbacks). She might get her own film but there's no real reason she can't do both especially since there doesn't seem to be room on the schedule for a solo for her for the next 3-4 years. It's also not as if she wasn't basically a co-lead in this one.

I loved their chemistry and while it only built up to a great friendship with some flirting I think it could evolve into something very romantic and maybe even shock a bit sexy. They're lucky enough I think to have matched Steve exceedingly well twice with his female lead and the first time it had to be cut off because of moving the story forward. To do it again seems to be throwing away a great opportunity for an actual great pairing in the MCU. The only long term one that really works in Tony/Pepper and that really didn't pay off until their third film with an Avengers assist.

I thought Van Camp did fine as Sharon (far more believable in her short scenes as an agent than Cobie Smolders as Maria Hill - she's too soft for Hill) but her interaction with Steve was so minimal it's pretty much just him starting over from scratch again. If it's Evans' last solo as Cap it's not going to have much weight (at least nothing to match the ups and downs of the comics - which include her killing when brainwashed and then mistakenly killing his child) even if it's successful. Also, by the next film Steve will have even closer/stronger relationships with Sam and Bucky than anyone new. Hey how about one of them as someone else. Come on Marvel, be truly daring!

Last edited by TalismanRing; 04-05-2014 at 09:41 AM.
TalismanRing is offline   Reply With Quote