The Avengers 93 42.86%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #251
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I think some just are choosing TDK in order to appear intellectual for some inane reason. Honestly, the two films are masterpieces in their own right for different reasons.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #252
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

Both are great.
I voted TDK because the Joker was just too good.

Monsieur Xavier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #253
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

The Joker was great but he and Two-Face were the best parts about TDK for me. The Avengers is better.

Both movies I have trouble sitting through some parts because of boredom, though. TDK just has more of those boring moments than The Avengers.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 11-19-2013 at 07:22 AM.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #254
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
I think some just are choosing TDK in order to appear intellectual for some inane reason.
I have this crazy theory: they like TDK more than Avengers.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #255
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Don't act like there isn't that twinge of condescension when comparing it to the latter in their posts though. Like apparently you're stupider for having watched it or something.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #256
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Don't act like there isn't that twinge of condescension when comparing it to the latter in their posts though. Like apparently you're stupider for having watched it or something.
In fact it's you who's saying that people liking TDK are this or that (intellectual wannabes, condescending). Yet you think other people are doing that. I think it's called projection.

Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 11-19-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #257
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

The Dark Knight - no competition honestly. Just a movie with way more substance than The Avengers.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #258
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

TDK over Avengers but I prefer Avengers to BB and TDKR.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #259
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think some just are choosing TDK in order to appear intellectual for some inane reason. Honestly, the two films are masterpieces in their own right for different reasons.
It's not about "appearing more intellectual". Some of just need content in our movies, it makes movies more satisfactory if they're about something, like Rush, Gravity, The Dark Knight, etc.

TDK is about whether or not Gotham needs a hero, and what kind of hero it needs. It explores issues like the surveillance state and the division of power within society. There's nothing like that in the Avengers. It's just a simple narrative. To call it a masterpiece is to cheapen the term.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #260
Victarion
Cut

The Avengers is a masterpiece within the comic book film genre. I prefer TDK because I find that story more appealing, but I can't ignore the fact that there were quite a few things working against The Avengers. That is succeeded as well as it did is a testament to it's status as a masterpiece of the comic film genre.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #261
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
The Avengers is a masterpiece within the comic book film genre. I prefer TDK because I find that story more appealing, but I can't ignore the fact that there were quite a few things working against The Avengers. That is succeeded as well as it did is a testament to it's status as a masterpiece of the comic film genre.
Depends on how many movies you're willing to label as "masterpiece within the comic book film genre". There have been approximately ~50 comic book movies. If 10 of them are masterpieces, then yes The Avengers is a masterpiece, but that cheapens the term.

I'd limit the term to:

Superman: The Movie
The Dark Knight
Maybe Spider Man or Spider Man 2, Maybe Iron Man.

I'd have to think more about those two. But you can't have 5 masterpieces out of 50 total movies. At most, 3.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #262
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Masterpieces within the comic book genre for me

Iron Man
The Dark Knight
Watchmen
Superman The Movie.
Spiderman 2

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #263
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Well, The Avengers is truly great, but The Dark Knight is fantastic. Love them both in their own ways.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #264
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Of possible interest, the top-10 comic book movies from imdb:

The Dark Knight, 9.0/10
The Dark Knight Rises, 8.6/10
Batman Begins, 8.3/10
Sin City, 8.2/10
V for Vendetta, 8.2/10
The Avengers, 8.2/10
Iron Man, 7.9/10
X-Men: First Class, 7.8/10
Kick Ass, 7.8/10
300, 7.7/10

Old 11-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #265
JKKS085
Side-Kick

I voted for TDK because no matter how you put it it is a far superior film. I can't think of anything (either it's directing, acting, photography, screenplay, music ...) being better in The Avengers.

That being said, I love The Avengers immensely and it's surely the most fun I had in theaters for years. I think it's probably the only flick I watched two times in a row too.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #266
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

The Dark Knight, for me. It was just a better made film.

They both felt like comic books coming to life. TDK felt like I was reading a Batman story arc or graphic novel. Avengers felt like I was reading a big team up.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #267
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

this is tough... but i'm gonna have to give it to the avengers. tdk is definitely 2nd though

XtremelyBaneful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #268
Hellion
He's Not Serious

I like both, but I give the edge to The Avengers.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #269
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
It's not about "appearing more intellectual". Some of just need content in our movies, it makes movies more satisfactory if they're about something, like Rush, Gravity, The Dark Knight, etc.
Thats exactly it for me. Avengers while a mostly fun popcorn flick had little to no development of the characters, little story, no emotion or drama. In short i haven't felt the urge to ever watch it again as there's no draw, outside of the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
Masterpieces within the comic book genre for me

Iron Man
The Dark Knight
Watchmen
Superman The Movie.
Spiderman 2
Great list, agreed. Though i'd include X-Men First Class or X2

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #270
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Depends on how many movies you're willing to label as "masterpiece within the comic book film genre". There have been approximately ~50 comic book movies. If 10 of them are masterpieces, then yes The Avengers is a masterpiece, but that cheapens the term.

I'd limit the term to:

Superman: The Movie
The Dark Knight
Maybe Spider Man or Spider Man 2, Maybe Iron Man.

I'd have to think more about those two. But you can't have 5 masterpieces out of 50 total movies. At most, 3.
Such rigid, arbitrary criteria are what really cheapen the term. You can't narrow something like this down to a cherry-picked number. If something has enough merit to be designated a masterpiece, then that's what's important, not a random percentile.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #271
Lord
All Mighty

The Avengers isn't really a masterpiece, it was just a well done event film, like Avatar in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #272
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Such rigid, arbitrary criteria are what really cheapen the term. You can't narrow something like this down to a cherry-picked number. If something has enough merit to be designated a masterpiece, then that's what's important, not a random percentile.
I suppose is everyhting is a masterpiece then nothing is.

Limiting it to a ceraint number is done to define speciality.

A persons top 3 are generally what they'd consider the masterpieces while the fourth to tenth would be the 'very good'

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #273
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post

A persons top 3 are generally what they'd consider the masterpieces while the fourth to tenth would be the 'very good'
According to who? Other than you arbitrarily making up these rules, name me anyone else with any authority on the subject who says this

random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #274
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Not only is that hyperbole, but it's not even in the same ballpark as what I was saying.

Quote:
So the numerical ranking defines the worth? As I said, that's arbitrary, but let's take a look at that.

At what point is the line drawn, and according to what criteria? Is this weighted based on genre? Surely genres such as true stories, dramas, and epics not only have more masterpieces than most others, but also have a higher percentage of them within their respective genres as well. As I said before, where does one draw the line?

Quote:
Again, that's far too arbitrary and rigid to be considered a standard. Let's say I've only seen 10 comic book movies, and those are Elektra, Green Lantern, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Blade Trinity, Catwoman, Superman 3 & 4, Steel The Spirit, and Howard the Duck; which one of those gets the distinction of being the masterpiece?

What you're both suggesting is hardly a reasonable measuring stick for judging what is and isn't superlative, and if that's some sort of standard, then I refuse to adhere to it. A masterpiece should be judged on merit, impact, influence, and a whole host of other things; where it 'stacks up' on someone's individual list is about the most irrelevant criteria I could imagine.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #275
Lord
All Mighty

The Avengers a masterpiece? It's just escapist fun, didn't need to be anything more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote