The Avengers 93 42.86%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #301
Thoix
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I'm not a fan of TDK trilogy. I thought they were good movies, but horrible Batman films.
How are they horrible Batman films?

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #302
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

avengers but tdk definitely second

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #303
Rorschach2012
$

These are the two greatest superhero movies of all time.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #304
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

The Dark Knight is a better movie, but The Avengers has a bigger comic book feel to it.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #305
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I loved The Avengers on my first couple viewings (9.5/10), but now that the excitement of these heroes meeting has worn off, I'm not a big fan anymore.

-Looks a TV movie
-Groan-worthy cutsey dialogue throughout ("I was having 12% of a moment")
-Plot is not compelling (Characters come together. Loki screws around. Characters arrive to save the day).
-Screen-time dedicated to plots that go nowhere (Phase 2)
-Random characterization/themes ("Humans crave subjection", blah blah, "You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers", etc)

Still has a few great lines though. ("It seems to run on some form of electricity!"). I give it a 6.5/10 now.

TDK on the other hand was great on first watch, although the pacing of the final act threw me for a loop (original grade of 8.5/10). Since then, I've grown to enjoy it even more. Nothing has gotten old. I now give it a 9/10.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 12-31-2013 at 05:50 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #306
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
-Looks a TV movie
Okay, seriously. There should be a moratorium against this. Either you mean "its cinematography doesn't look like a movie", in which case you should provide some actual evidence for this ( which *no one* has yet done, aside from the meaningless issue of aspect ratio ). Or you mean "it actually looks like a TV movie in production quality", in which case you are lying to yourself or everyone else.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #307
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Okay, seriously. There should be a moratorium against this. Either you mean "its cinematography doesn't look like a movie", in which case you should provide some actual evidence for this ( which *no one* has yet done, aside from the meaningless issue of aspect ratio ). Or you mean "it actually looks like a TV movie in production quality", in which case you are lying to yourself or everyone else.
I've got to agree with him. It's hard to put my finger on but the look of the film screams TV movie rather than theatrical film with a huge budget like it is. Might have something to do with the cameras they used.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #308
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
The Dark Knight is a better movie, but The Avengers has a bigger comic book feel to it.
im gonna have to say avengers is the better movie overall but dark knight is a close second. both of them are 2 of the best movies ever, and they just so happen to be comic book movies.

but the ending of tdk didn't make sense. whereas avengers may have been flawed from beginning to end, was a great premise from beginning to end as well, having all those superheroes coming together on screen.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #309
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
im gonna have to say avengers is the better movie overall but dark knight is a close second. both of them are 2 of the best movies ever, and they just so happen to be comic book movies.

but the ending of tdk didn't make sense. whereas avengers may have been flawed from beginning to end, was a great premise from beginning to end as well, having all those superheroes coming together on screen.
Which part(s)?

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #310
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I'm not a fan of TDK trilogy. I thought they were good movies, but horrible Batman films.
I pretty much have the same view, I love the movies but don't find them good Batman/comic book films minus Batman Begins. Batman Begins is like a living comic in the same way Burton's Batman films felt like that to me.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #311
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I pretty much have the same view, I love the movies but don't find them good Batman/comic book films minus Batman Begins. Batman Begins is like a living comic in the same way Burton's Batman films felt like that to me.
As a Batman fan I do not understand how anyone can say TDKT are not good Batman films.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #312
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
I've got to agree with him. It's hard to put my finger on but the look of the film screams TV movie rather than theatrical film with a huge budget like it is. Might have something to do with the cameras they used.
That's what I think. The Avengers seemed like a very high budget TV movie because of the way it was filmed.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #313
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
As a Batman fan I do not understand how anyone can say TDKT are not good Batman films.
The argument is because there isn't enough 'Batman' in the movies, which frankly is absurd. The Batman mythology is more than just the suit, or even Bruce Wayne, it encompasses all of Gotham City. I honestly don't know how any Batman fan can say with a straight face these aren't good Batman movies.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #314
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
It's not the aspect ratio, the cinematography on the film is pretty ordinary and does make it look like an expensive TV production.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #315
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It's not the aspect ratio, the cinematography on the film is pretty ordinary and does make it look like an expensive TV production.
Again, stop using weasel words. Give me *specifics*. What about the cinematography makes it look like a TV movie? How was X scene shot to cause this, and if it were shot "movie like", how would that scene be different? What technique did they use or not use?

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #316
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Again, stop using weasel words. Give me *specifics*. What about the cinematography makes it look like a TV movie? How was X scene shot to cause this, and if it were shot "movie like", how would that scene be different? What technique did they use or not use?
What specifics would you like? There's a complete lack of film texture and a lack of depth to the imagery in Avengers that you usually see in big budget movies. There's a softness to the imagery that is comparable to TV which probably has something to do with Whedon being comfortable with the format. Compare the video quality between Avengers and the first Iron Man movie, there's a huge difference in the cinematography. I'm not quite sure what you need to 'prove' there's a clear difference. If you can't tell the difference you might need your eyes checked.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #317
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

I've only seen that complaint here, I wasn't aware so many users here are cinematographers.
I don't at all understand these comments, it seems like quite the nitpick.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 01-01-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #318
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I've only seen that complaint here, I wasn't aware so many users here are cinematographers.
I don't at all understand these comments, it seems like quite the nitpick.
Well, this is a film forum, and those kind of details are going to be picked up.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #319
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
How are they horrible Batman films?
If anything, Nolan's Batman films come closer to truly representing the 'concept' of Batman than any other interpretation in any medium to date, even the source material.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #320
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
If anything, Nolan's Batman films come closer to truly representing the 'concept' of Batman than any other interpretation in any medium to date, even the source material.
Seriously? You are on Planet ten or something. They're decent but flawed films( see I can use than BS too) but lose much of Batman's characteristics and unique character IMO.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #321
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Wall Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
What specifics would you like? There's a complete lack of film texture and a lack of depth to the imagery in Avengers that you usually see in big budget movies. There's a softness to the imagery that is comparable to TV which probably has something to do with Whedon being comfortable with the format. Compare the video quality between Avengers and the first Iron Man movie, there's a huge difference in the cinematography. I'm not quite sure what you need to 'prove' there's a clear difference. If you can't tell the difference you might need your eyes checked.

I guess I need my eyes checked.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #322
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
Which part(s)?
why didn't they just say the joker killed all those people? if joker even tried denying it it's not like anyone would buy it since he's been killing people like breathing

Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #323
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Because he didn't kill them, and Gordon and Batman would never frame anyone for multiple murders, even someone as rotten as the Joker.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #324
Filmfreak
Newbie First Class

Didn't the whole hostage situation occur after the Joker's capture? How could they frame him for something that happened afterwards when he was detained?

Filmfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #325
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Because he didn't kill them, and Gordon and Batman would never frame anyone for multiple murders, even someone as rotten as the Joker.
okay but I think that's really weak. they wouldn't further vilify the joker to save 2face's name but they would vilify batman? that does NOT make sense to me. they both realized they were trying to cover up for something horrible, so why not put it on a horrible person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfreak View Post
Didn't the whole hostage situation occur after the Joker's capture? How could they frame him for something that happened afterwards when he was detained?
you mean when 2face held gordon's family hostage? the killings occurred throughout that whole day. joker wasn't captured until the night.