The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which is better?
The Dark Knight 125 57.34%
The Avengers 93 42.66%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #351
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
that guy that hooks up with catwoman said that she divorced him and moved to ohio
Sure, but the interrogation must have happened that very night.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #352
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.
 
XtremelyBaneful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,059
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Sure, but the interrogation must have happened that very night.
oh yeah, missed that part of your post. i dunno about that but i would assume gordon just made her say that batman killed dent

XtremelyBaneful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #353
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 306
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
Seriously? You are on Planet ten or something. They're decent but flawed films( see I can use than BS too) but lose much of Batman's characteristics and unique character IMO.
The concept of Batman was that of a MORTAL man who must acquire skills to combat crime and fight against the evil that took his parents and prevent others from experiencing what he did as a child. One of the most unique fact about Batman is that he does not possess superpowers and must compensate without them

There is no way in hell any mortal man could acquire the skills possessed by the comic version (extreme knowledge in virtually every science known to man, mastering "127" different styles of martial arts, and just being an overall extreme Gary Stu). You'd have to be Sylar from heroes or Duncan MacLeod with hundreds of years of history to accumulate those kind of skills.

Nolan's Batman is a less-than-perfect man in a heightened reality. Comic Batman is a ridiculously prefect demi-god who is able to casually dispose of super-powered beings on a daily basis.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #354
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.
 
XtremelyBaneful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,059
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
The concept of Batman was that of a MORTAL man who must acquire skills to combat crime and fight against the evil that took his parents and prevent others from experiencing what he did as a child. One of the most unique fact about Batman is that he does not possess superpowers and must compensate without them

There is no way in hell any mortal man could acquire the skills possessed by the comic version (extreme knowledge in virtually every science known to man, mastering "127" different styles of martial arts, and just being an overall extreme Gary Stu). You'd have to be Sylar from heroes or Duncan MacLeod with hundreds of years of history to accumulate those kind of skills.

Nolan's Batman is a less-than-perfect man in a heightened reality. Comic Batman is a ridiculously prefect demi-god who is able to casually dispose of super-powered beings on a daily basis.
I disagree. If the comic's premise of batman was to make a genius human with no superpowers, that's what christian bale was and that's wat I thought he was too.

XtremelyBaneful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #355
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 39,005
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

I want to say something on this topic. Firstly, I think there are 3 true "masterpieces" within the CBM genre: Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight, and The Avengers. All 3 films are entirely different, but I think all are amazing pieces of art.

People keep labeling Avengers as a "popcorn" film in here, and this is a term I truly hate. The Dark Knight is a movie about a man in a batsuit fighting a clown. Yes, it has much deeper themes than that and it is a genius piece of work, but it is STILL a popcorn film. However, it tries to be a more artsy popcorn film. This is perfectly fine, but the Avengers way isn't somehow a lesser art form. Do I hear people complaining that Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark are just "fun popcorn" movies? People would say BLASPHEMY to hearing that, but guess what, THEY ARE! Raiders isn't a deep movie about the human condition. It is a fun movie about a guy on an adventure to stop Nazis from recovering an ancient artifact. It doesn't try to make you feel feelings you didn't know you had, but it is STILL widely regarded as one of the best films ever. Avengers is made with the same intent a film like Raiders of the Lost Ark was: be very good, entertaining fun. There is nothing wrong with that, and not attempting to convey a deeper message as hard as The Dark Knight does doesn't make Avengers a lesser piece of art.

Simply, I feel they're just 2 different types of action films, and they're masterpieces in their own right. I grew up an Avengers fan more so than a Batman one (though I still love Batman), so my natural preference it towards Avengers. But, that doesn't mean I look down upon The Dark Knight either. Both films are brilliant. I have enough love in my heart for them both.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #356
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,855
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

^^^^I agree with every word of that (minus the Spidey 2 part. Great movie though.). I love both films so much. I kinda hate that they're always pitted against each other even though I understand why.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #357
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,980
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Ok, so I re-watched Avengers for the first time since 2012 the other day. Now let me preface this by saying this film is soooooooo much fun, and in actual fact I can't not like this movie. That said, it really only comes together in the last 50 mins, nothing of much interest happens in the build up, and in fact some of what happens is just down right silly and flat out boring. The thing with Avengers is I can more or less fast forward to the good parts of the film and not lose anything with the experience. that is the difference between that film and TDK. But that inner nerd in me also doesn't mind and through it all is actually screaming 'Get 'em Cap, smash 'em Hulk!' etc, basically just letting that inner 8 year old in me loose. I honestly can't take anyone seriously who calls it a masterpiece because at its core there's nothing all that amazing about the film, it's not deep, it's not thought provoking, the story hasn't got much going for it, the characters are fine but nothing special, it's just a well executed spectacle and is without doubt one of the most enjoyable films ever. Those who hate the term 'popcorn film' really need to get over that label, because the film epitomises exactly what a popcorn film should be - pure fun.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.

Last edited by jmc; 02-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #358
OcStat
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 925
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

What's amazing about it is the work that went into it, the 6 year journey from idea to screen, all the seeds planted that eventually turned into the Avengers. It is amazing. And it is fun. And it is a great movie. Doesn't need to be any more than that.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #359
Rike
Something strange here?
 
Rike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Eighties
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

The Dark Knight, easily.

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #360
BLobo
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 84
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
People keep labeling Avengers as a "popcorn" film in here, and this is a term I truly hate. The Dark Knight is a movie about a man in a batsuit fighting a clown. Yes, it has much deeper themes than that and it is a genius piece of work, but it is STILL a popcorn film.
People label The Avengers as a popcorn film because many feel that itīs nothing more than a "BOOM BOOM, BANG, BANG" movie.

The story didnīt have any interest for me. It didnīt kept me guessing or curious about what was coming next, wich is generally very important to me. First story, then explosions! It felt very generic and empty.

I did enjoy the action and the visual effects, even though after a while it got a little boring and superficial. But thatīs what, to me, a Popcorn flick is. A Popcorn flick is a superficial movie. Something that looks good, sounds good, but doesnīt have much substance. Something that i might have a good time watching, but will not become crazy about it.

I donīt think there is an "official" definition of what a popcorn flick is, so you can just create your own one.

Ultimately, to me a popcorn flick is a movie that doesnīt have any impact on me. It can help me to kill some time, but thatīs about it.

The Dark Knight is a well made thriller. Music, story, action, editing, acting. Everything is very well made, and i canīt possibly call "popcorn flick" to a movie with so much quality, no matter what the characters are wearing. That just doesnīt fit in my definition of popcorn flick.

BLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #361
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,067
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

A popcorn flick is not a downgrade.

But I don't think Avengers is that great of a popcorn flick personally.

Although I loved it on first watch, after repeat viewings, it becomes quite a chore to get through.

Pacific Rim, for example, is a popcorn film that I really enjoy, more than The Avengers (mostly because I enjoy GDT's ridiculous tone over Whedon's nauseating attempts at witty dialogue.)


Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 02-10-2014 at 07:47 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #362
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,053
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Yes, that's why Pacific Rim worked more for me as a great popcorn flick. I really liked Mako Mori's backstory and all, too. But I believe that the only vapid people are those who consider other vapid for liking or not liking a particular comic film genre.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Trevorrow
But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else’s childhood. This is their time.
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #363
weezerspider
Side-Kick
 
weezerspider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,869
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I want to say something on this topic. Firstly, I think there are 3 true "masterpieces" within the CBM genre: Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight, and The Avengers. All 3 films are entirely different, but I think all are amazing pieces of art.

People keep labeling Avengers as a "popcorn" film in here, and this is a term I truly hate. The Dark Knight is a movie about a man in a batsuit fighting a clown. Yes, it has much deeper themes than that and it is a genius piece of work, but it is STILL a popcorn film. However, it tries to be a more artsy popcorn film. This is perfectly fine, but the Avengers way isn't somehow a lesser art form. Do I hear people complaining that Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark are just "fun popcorn" movies? People would say BLASPHEMY to hearing that, but guess what, THEY ARE! Raiders isn't a deep movie about the human condition. It is a fun movie about a guy on an adventure to stop Nazis from recovering an ancient artifact. It doesn't try to make you feel feelings you didn't know you had, but it is STILL widely regarded as one of the best films ever. Avengers is made with the same intent a film like Raiders of the Lost Ark was: be very good, entertaining fun. There is nothing wrong with that, and not attempting to convey a deeper message as hard as The Dark Knight does doesn't make Avengers a lesser piece of art.

Simply, I feel they're just 2 different types of action films, and they're masterpieces in their own right. I grew up an Avengers fan more so than a Batman one (though I still love Batman), so my natural preference it towards Avengers. But, that doesn't mean I look down upon The Dark Knight either. Both films are brilliant. I have enough love in my heart for them both.
Raiders and Star Was took B-level material and raised it to significance...which actually is more like what Nolan did with Batman and the superhero genre than anything The Avengers did. Raiders and Star Wars are both beautifully shot, both took old school editing styles and adapted them from a serialized style to a more cinematic style and were both huge game changers in Special Effects. One, Star Wars, heavily relied on it and brought it to the forefront of film for really the first time. The other, Raiders, used it extensively when needed to great success for it's time (the climax), but also relied on real stunt work and has some of the greatest stunt work captured on film. Star Wars and Raiders aren't only extremely entertaining films without many flaws, they are historically significant and extremely well-mad and ground breaking from a technical film making stand point. The Avengers is fine technically, but it has nothing extraordinary from a film making standpoint. It's cinematography is vanilla, its SE are good, but nothing special from other blockbusters and it's editing is rather dull. It's extremely entertaining and lacks many flaws, but it's not a technically extraordinary film like Raiders or Star Wars. It's technically sound and that's fine. There is more to artistic film making than dark deep stories or whatever. Raiders, Star Wars, Jurassic Park...those films have entertainment based plots, but technically extraordinary film making, mostly due to the director. The Avengers has an entertainment based plot and is technically sound. Big difference.

__________________
"If you figure a way to live without serving a master, any master, then let the rest of us know, will you? For you'd be the first person in the history of the world."
-LANCASTER DODD
weezerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #364
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,813
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Have to side with weezerspider on that one. As a movie, the only thing revolutionary Avengers did was put multiple superheroes from pre-existing movies together. Which is very impressive from a marketing/corporate strategy standpoint, but it's not the first film to deal with superhero teams (X-Men, Fantastic Four, TMNT, The Incredibles, etc.). And I would agree, it's technically sound but it doesn't feel as classically cinematic, while pushing technical boundaries like the aforementioned movies do. TDK does, and that's the big difference. The IMAX photography alone is something that had never been attempted before and has had a big influence on other directors making large scale films. The Avengers to me feels more like a really cool, high budget episode of a TV show than it does a movie.

I've been pretty harsh on The Avengers since it came out, mostly because I went in with the baggage of all the hype I was hearing and I just didn't get it at all. Truth be told, it's perfectly fine and does exactly what it sets out to do. I don't think it's a bad movie by any stretch. But personally it's not even in my top 10 superhero movies. Possibly not even the top 20. I realize I'm probably in a pretty extreme minority on that however.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 02-11-2014 at 12:57 AM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #365
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Have to side with weezerspider on that one. As a movie, the only thing revolutionary Avengers did was put multiple superheroes from pre-existing movies together. Which is very impressive from a marketing/corporate strategy standpoint, but it's not the first film to deal with superhero teams (X-Men, Fantastic Four, TMNT, The Incredibles, etc.). And I would agree, it's technically sound but it doesn't feel as classically cinematic, while pushing technical boundaries like the aforementioned movies do. TDK does, and that's the big difference. The IMAX photography alone is something that had never been attempted before and has had a big influence on other directors making large scale films. The Avengers to me feels more like a really cool, high budget episode of a TV show than it does a movie.

I've been pretty harsh on The Avengers since it came out, mostly because I went in with the baggage of all the hype I was hearing and I just didn't get it at all. Truth be told, it's perfectly fine and does exactly what it sets out to do. I don't think it's a bad movie by any stretch. But personally it's not even in my top 10 superhero movies. Possibly not even the top 20. I realize I'm probably in a pretty extreme minority on that however.
I agree. Avengers was all kinds of fun, and it took some serious risks by having all of them together. But it didn't break any ground in tone or storytelling as some others have done.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #366
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,067
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Although I do like TDK more, how revolutionary something is =/= how good something is.

A less revolutionary movie can be better than a more revolutionary one (like 300).

The reason I don't rate The Avengers as high as TDK isn't because it isn't as revolutionary. It's because I just don't enjoy it that much.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #367
BLobo
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 84
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Btw, why is this thread TDK vs Avengers instead of TDKR, since they both came out in the same here?

I think TDKR has the same advantages over Avengers than TDK: Better story, better acting, better cinematography, better music.

BLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #368
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,980
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Have to side with weezerspider on that one. As a movie, the only thing revolutionary Avengers did was put multiple superheroes from pre-existing movies together. Which is very impressive from a marketing/corporate strategy standpoint, but it's not the first film to deal with superhero teams (X-Men, Fantastic Four, TMNT, The Incredibles, etc.). And I would agree, it's technically sound but it doesn't feel as classically cinematic, while pushing technical boundaries like the aforementioned movies do. TDK does, and that's the big difference. The IMAX photography alone is something that had never been attempted before and has had a big influence on other directors making large scale films. The Avengers to me feels more like a really cool, high budget episode of a TV show than it does a movie.

I've been pretty harsh on The Avengers since it came out, mostly because I went in with the baggage of all the hype I was hearing and I just didn't get it at all. Truth be told, it's perfectly fine and does exactly what it sets out to do. I don't think it's a bad movie by any stretch. But personally it's not even in my top 10 superhero movies. Possibly not even the top 20. I realize I'm probably in a pretty extreme minority on that however.
I think the novelty factor was a huge part as to why Avengers was so great. Normally I would probably point out the problems I have with the film a lot more because there really isn't much going for it, but I just can't do it because that inner child in my just screams 'all these superheroes together is freaking awesome!', so I give it a pass. Avengers 2 is going to be interesting for me, frankly Whedon has to deliver more than what he did in the first film.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #369
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,018
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Avengers, tremendous fun, action sequences well executed. Nice timing on a few funny lines and of course Hulk rag-doll smashes Loki. I loved the Thor v Iron Man pissing contest, but otherwise the characters go nowhere, and the build-up is, as previously mentioned, not terribly exciting. All in all a good movie, still not sure why it rates so highly - there's zero character development. Pretty decent performances, and a solid villain (Loki, that is, the Chitauri, could take or leave them). Then again, I don't know why Toy Story got 100% on RT, maybe the novelty factor is not to be underestimated.

So good movie, yes, great movie, maybe ?

TDK. Fun, but also dark, scary, exhilerating. I remember reading the synopsis on RT and wondering how they'd fit it all in, but it was the fastest 2+ hours of my life. Well paced (unlike TDKR) with a killer opening.
And character development, there's tons.
Bruce (who as another poster pointed out, is not the perfect Batman of the comics) and Harvey who go on a parallel journey which leads to destruction. Kind of the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" vibe.

Now that he's become the symbol Gotham deserves, Bruce is finding out how far he'll have to go to achieve his goal of saving Gotham from organized crime, and Harvey is going down a parallel path.
Yeah, the foreshadowing's not very subtle, but it works.
Action sequences, nice, not flashy, but gritty - sure Batman's not a spinning kick throwing kung-fu demon, but he gets the job done.

Performances, well Bale's a solid Batman, Eckhart is a very likeable Dent, Freeman and Caine are magic in supporting roles, and it goes without saying that Ledger's Joker is electrifying.

I saw this film in IMAX, and wow, was it an experience.

So for me, there's no comparison, TDK all the way.

Avengers is great fun, but it's not the tale of heroism, and sacrifice that TDK is.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 AM   #370
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,067
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

The Dark Knight = Natalie Portman

The Avengers = Jennifer Lawrence

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #371
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick
 
NosfeRomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,446
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
The Dark Knight = Natalie Portman

The Avengers = Jennifer Lawrence
So wrong !

The Dark Knight = Rita Heyworth

The Avengers = Merylin Monroe

__________________
We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #372
Randy Savage
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Asgard
Posts: 117
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
This isn't really a fair competition. The Avengers isn't as good as any of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Nor Batman 89 for that matter.

The Avengers is a good popcorn film, but not much more.
Have you actually watched Batman 89 lately, or is this based on nostalgia? I ask because the movie really sucks in comparison to today's flicks.

I choose Avengers.

Randy Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #373
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,775
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Ok, so I re-watched Avengers for the first time since 2012 the other day. Now let me preface this by saying this film is soooooooo much fun, and in actual fact I can't not like this movie. That said, it really only comes together in the last 50 mins, nothing of much interest happens in the build up, and in fact some of what happens is just down right silly and flat out boring.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLobo View Post
People label The Avengers as a popcorn film because many feel that itīs nothing more than a "BOOM BOOM, BANG, BANG" movie.

The story didnīt have any interest for me. It didnīt kept me guessing or curious about what was coming next, wich is generally very important to me. First story, then explosions! It felt very generic and empty.

I did enjoy the action and the visual effects, even though after a while it got a little boring and superficial. But thatīs what, to me, a Popcorn flick is. A Popcorn flick is a superficial movie. Something that looks good, sounds good, but doesnīt have much substance. Something that i might have a good time watching, but will not become crazy about it.

I donīt think there is an "official" definition of what a popcorn flick is, so you can just create your own one.

Ultimately, to me a popcorn flick is a movie that doesnīt have any impact on me. It can help me to kill some time, but thatīs about it.

The Dark Knight is a well made thriller. Music, story, action, editing, acting. Everything is very well made, and i canīt possibly call "popcorn flick" to a movie with so much quality, no matter what the characters are wearing. That just doesnīt fit in my definition of popcorn flick.
I agree with that definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I've been pretty harsh on The Avengers since it came out, mostly because I went in with the baggage of all the hype I was hearing and I just didn't get it at all. Truth be told, it's perfectly fine and does exactly what it sets out to do. I don't think it's a bad movie by any stretch. But personally it's not even in my top 10 superhero movies. Possibly not even the top 20. I realize I'm probably in a pretty extreme minority on that however.
I'm in that minority, I saw it as a fun movie full of spectacle but one that I felt no connection to. As JMC says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I think the novelty factor was a huge part as to why Avengers was so great.
Out aside the novelty of them coming together on-screen for the first time and there's little substance to it. No theme, barely a story, no motivation for the characters doing what they do and loads of filler to get to the final act where the movie finally comes together.

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-11-2014 at 09:45 AM.
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #374
Randy Savage
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Asgard
Posts: 117
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Avengers was the perfect culmination of 4 or 5 movies. To have a full team of superheroes in a movie after each having or appearing in solo flicks is unheard of. It was fun from start to finish.

Dark Knight was good and all, but it's a one-off. Batman is such a sad sack too. I'll take Iron Man any day over Batman and his "Rarrr my parents are dead, grrr my girlfriend is dead" nonsense.

Randy Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #375
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,775
Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Savage View Post
Avengers was the perfect culmination of 4 or 5 movies. To have a full team of superheroes in a movie after each having or appearing in solo flicks is unheard of. It was fun from start to finish.

Dark Knight was good and all, but it's a one-off. Batman is such a sad sack too. I'll take Iron Man any day over Batman and his "Rarrr my parents are dead, grrr my girlfriend is dead" nonsense.
True, but none of that is in about the actual content of the actual movie.

The Dark Knight is judged solely on the merits of the singular movie not the movie and all the movies that led into it. Avengers should be also.

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.