The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #751
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Arrow General Discussion Thread - Part 6

Do people think that Felicity is the lead female on the show now? She certainly is the most heroic one who is in on the action.

As for Laurel, I was thinking that it's only because her middle name is Dinah that we're thinking she will be BC. What if the writers change things (maybe she was supposed to be her originally) and instead of Laurel taking up the Canary mantle to honour her sister Sara who may die (again) in the future but hopefully not, it's Sara who decides to call herself "Dinah" in honour of her sister Laurel who instead might hopefully die in the future?

That would be one way round it and for BC to still end up with the name Dinah without having to make it Katie Cassidy, who seems wholly unsuitable and unlikeable for the part.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #752
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Just screw all the complicated stuff. Arrow is an Elseword Tale. Just make Sara the one and only Canary, and forget the name Dinah.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #753
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Do people think that Felicity is the lead female on the show now? She certainly is the most heroic one who is in on the action.

As for Laurel, I was thinking that it's only because her middle name is Dinah that we're thinking she will be BC. What if the writers change things (maybe she was supposed to be her originally) and instead of Laurel taking up the Canary mantle to honour her sister Sara who may die (again) in the future but hopefully not, it's Sara who decides to call herself "Dinah" in honour of her sister Laurel who instead might hopefully die in the future?

That would be one way round it and for BC to still end up with the name Dinah without having to make it Katie Cassidy, who seems wholly unsuitable and unlikeable for the part.
Either that or maybe they could borrow a bit more from the "TDKR" plot where one of Sara's arcs is to learn on how to live a normal life and not be the Canary 24/7, so IF Laurel were to die, that Sarah would finally go back to adopting a civilian personality, and a new one perhaps with her renaming herself Dinah

Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #754
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Just screw all the complicated stuff. Arrow is an Elseword Tale. Just make Sara the one and only Canary, and forget the name Dinah.
But Dinah is the only real hint that Laurel might become Canary. Nothing else about her indicates she would if you looked at it objectively.

As for the Arrow Season 2 poster, and Katie Cassidy in general, she doesn't really look like the most sympathetic or warm character on the show. Even ignoring her personality for a moment, her face doesn't have the same warmth as Felicity's. And definitely on the poster, she looks like she's the bad girl or b**** of the show. Anyone would think that from seeing that.

Emily without her glasses looks far more like a traditional lead female character, especially if it had just been a regular drama series without any comic book roots.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #755
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Where can I read the episode 5 synopsis?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #756
Nathan

Posted by Mars452 here.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #757
Nathan

*Edit*

Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #758
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Yep. Just kill Laurel off at this point.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #759
regnak
Side-Kick

I wonder since the Count had a drug that caused Vertigo will Blood be revealed to have something that influences/brainwashes people? The actions of the police and Laurel could actually make sense that way.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #760
DrRocket
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnak View Post
I wonder since the Count had a drug that caused Vertigo will Blood be revealed to have something that influences/brainwashes people? The actions of the police and Laurel could actually make sense that way.
All I know is that they have said that Vertigo is coming back and he is bringing the chaos.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #761
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Blood has no problem with the vigilante as far as we know.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #762
regnak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Blood has no problem with the vigilante as far as we know.

As far as we know is the operative phrase. I am just saying that it would explain why the SCPD does nothing about the FEMA trucks being hijacked but sends a task force after the Arrow when he tries to help. It's like most of the Law enforcement apparatus has gone insane.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #763
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnak View Post
That's the only way to salvage Laurel. To make it clear that her judgment wasn't clouded by her very own stupidity, but because she was controlled.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #764
regnak
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's the only way to salvage Laurel. To make it clear that her judgment wasn't clouded by her very own stupidity, but because she was controlled.
I do wonder why they would use Brother Blood if he isn't going to do something like that. What would be the point? The cops failing to protect the FEMA trucks did seem to help his campaign.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #765
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
What about her stupidity throughout season 1 in many instances? She would've have had to have been controlled from the very start of the series to explain why she is the way she is though and so very unlikable. It's best to just scrap the character.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #766
Nathan

That would be my preferred direction. Every time I listen to Laurel's reason for hating the Hood, I just want to punch her. It's just so... gah! No matter how you look at it, factor in the clouded judgment and feelings of guilt, it still makes no sense. All it boils down to, is he wasn't there when she needed him. And now he isn't allowed to help anyone else.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #767
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Whenever a character does something that pisses the audience off, we have to ask ourselves this question: Do we hate what the character is doing or what the show/film is making the character do? Or in other words, does this seem like a natural thing for the character to do or something the writers are making that character do without taking into account that it might be out of character?

I was neutral on Laurel last season. Sometimes I hated her, sometimes I liked her. Regardless, I would have never even begin to consider Season 1's Laurel doing this. I think it is very out of character for her. I think the show's creators wanted to give the Hood a political enemy now that Quentin is ok with the Hood. And instead of thinking things through, they just went with Laurel to create more pointless BS drama without even considering that it might be out of character.

So is Laurel really the one responsible for this? Is it a natural progression? Does it seem in-character for Laurel based on the Laurel we saw in Season 1? Or is she just that way because the writers said so?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #768
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Either that or maybe they could borrow a bit more from the "TDKR" plot where one of Sara's arcs is to learn on how to live a normal life and not be the Canary 24/7, so IF Laurel were to die, that Sarah would finally go back to adopting a civilian personality, and a new one perhaps with her renaming herself Dinah
You know what? I can see this being a good twist to align with the mythos. Felicity Smoak, unlike Chloe Sullivan, is also a mythos character as well.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #769
Nathan

The writers are probably solely to blame. But with a better actress, they could have potentially chosen a different direction for Laurel. Like when they see a person is a lot better and confident acting a certain way, they might potentially write them differently. But like I mentioned before, Katie Cassidy has the drama queen and ***** act down. She excels at it.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #770
regnak
Side-Kick

The writers are to blame. They should have had Laurel learn about Oliver's secret after Betrayal and started her on the BC path then. If they wanted Tommy could have still died while she was off doing something to help Oliver in the finale. They wasted the 5 month gap between seasons when she could have been training with somebody even if they didn't reveal the secret. And the whole giving her a sister for Oliver to sleep with in the first place was a stupid idea.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #771
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

It might've been better if Laurel died in the earthquake last season and Tommy blamed Ollie for it. He already had animosity towards him and it would've continued that arc instead of doing a 180 with Cassidy.

Quote:
The writers are probably solely to blame. But with a better actress, they could have potentially chosen a different direction for Laurel. Like when they see a person is a lot better and confident acting a certain way, they might potentially write them differently. But like I mentioned before, Katie Cassidy has the drama queen and ***** act down. She excels at it.
If this were a different show, I could easily see KC as the stuck up bad girl - eg in a high school where she bullies and maligns the main character who is a bit of an outcast. KC seems like she would be like a Cordelia Chase-type character in early Buffy, except that Cordelia was more likeable and probably more like Sharpay in High School Musical. KC just seems *****y and not likeable at all. She's not even funny while she's being *****y and certainly not when being a drama queen.

And KC's face just has a *****y look about it. It doesn't have that warm quality about it like Felicity's does.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #772
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
It might've been better if Laurel died in the earthquake last season and Tommy blamed Ollie for it. He already had animosity towards him and it would've continued that arc instead of doing a 180 with Cassidy.
Damn. I really like that idea. Wish they would have went for it instead.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #773
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Damn. I really like that idea. Wish they would have went for it instead.
Well it would've showed his journey to becoming the next Dark Archer because Tommy would've felt that, even though his father was responsible for levelling the Glades, Ollie was personally responsible for Laurel and put her in harms way. So he would've been conflicted about taking the same path as his father but also wanting vengeance or even (in his own mind) justice against the Hood.

Instead they felt they had to put Amell with KC at all costs, even if no-one else likes it.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #774
Nathan

They don't even have that great of a chemistry together.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #775
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
All I know is that they have said that Vertigo is coming back and he is bringing the chaos.
Anyone else think Ollie will be regretting keeping the Count alive?

Watch out Roy & Thea......