The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
CLFilms
Side-Kick

Default Is there a potential plot-hole which the trailer reveals????

I don't know if anyone has considered this, but I think the trailer lends that there may very well be quite a significant plot-hole in the "Days of Future Past" film.

Stay with me: the trailer suggest that Professor X will use Logan to go back into time to use his mind from the future and displace it into Logan's body from the past to try to convince both young Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr.

Why can't Professor X just transport his own mind to the past? Or even better, just transport Magneto's mind to the past to show himself to Professor X. That would be a major compelling move. If I were a younger Professor X, I would be caught off guard by Magneto "surrendering" himself in any form.

Just something I noticed. Really, I'm not completely sold by any upcoming X-Men films. They need a reboot. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan are great and all -- I just think that ship has sailed ever since "Last Stand."

Last edited by CLFilms; 11-09-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Notifications
Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Is there a potential plot-hole which the trailer reveals????

Professor X wouldn't survive the transportation.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 11-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Antihero
Side-Kick

No one except Wolverine can survive the time travel.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
CLFilms
Side-Kick

But there's nothing in the trailer that really suggests that such a transportation would be fatal... except for maybe Wolverine screaming, but that could be from anything.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Its a teaser trailer, of course they aren't gonna explain everything.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 11-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Fervid09
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLFilms View Post
But there's nothing in the trailer that really suggests that such a transportation would be fatal... except for maybe Wolverine screaming, but that could be from anything.
From Bryan Singer's breakdown of the trailer:

Quote:
Although its Kitty who goes back in time in the comics, Singer decided that in the movies, Logan would be sent back because his fast-healing power would make him the only one capable of surviving the procedure. As he explained in an earlier interview:

"Shes the prime facilitator its her power that enables that to happen. But its Wolverine who has the strength and the stamina to be able to go back on this journey."
Source

Understandably, it wasn't mentioned in the trailer, but I'm sure it will be in the film itself.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Prof X can't send himself back anyway because part of the mission is to change his past self. His past self would be asleep in the future in that case

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Mars123
Side-Kick

Also they kind of suggest that young Charles is in a dark place, it'll take someone else to convince and persuade him of the future.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

its already been said wolverine is the only one who can survive the time travel process because of his healing power

i'm not sure its important to explain that in the trailer

Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
CLFilms
Side-Kick

These are all valid points. I guess we'll have to see for sure. I guess I have too much of a bad taste in my mouth ever since Last Stand.

But let's be honest: the other reason they're picking Logan instead of Kitty Pryde for time travel is simply to get more ticket sales. Ellen Page, as awesome as an actress as she is, isn't nearly as marketable as Hugh Jackman.

I just hope they don't short change us on the Sentinels. Those are larger than life and would be amazing to see in full force.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

its possible that logan would always have been the time traveler but we don't really know and probably won't ever know the thought process behind it

Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

They actually did imply he was the only one who could handle the time travel in the trailer. The clip of him screaming while Kitty uses her powers shows it's very painful and obviously taxing on the body.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
I guess I have too much of a bad taste in my mouth ever since Last Stand..
But that was many years ago and there have been two stellar x-Movies since then that have made up for it

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

LOL. There's no reason for Wolverine specifically to go back save he is played by Hugh ****ing Jackman and he will obviously be the main character and do all the important things.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

wolverine is a character who won't age so its a nice cross over for jackmans character to play the same character with 2 different casts

Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
CLFilms
Side-Kick

This is of course, my opinion -- so take it for what it's worth.

The last four X-Men Movies:
1) Last Stand: Bleh.
2) Wolverine - Origins: BLEEEEHHHHH!
3) First Class: It was OK, but it really went against the grain of Marvel Canon; which makes it disappointing.
4) The Wolverine: Awesome.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Coolcat3
Side-Kick

Quote:
These are all valid points. I guess we'll have to see for sure. I guess I have too much of a bad taste in my mouth ever since Last Stand.

But let's be honest: the other reason they're picking Logan instead of Kitty Pryde for time travel is simply to get more ticket sales. Ellen Page, as awesome as an actress as she is, isn't nearly as marketable as Hugh Jackman.

I just hope they don't short change us on the Sentinels. Those are larger than life and would be amazing to see in full force.
Kitty wasn't alive in the 70s. To send her back means adding a physical element to the time travel when the only element is mental (sending consciousness back)

Old 11-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
I don't know if anyone has considered this, but I think the trailer lends that there may very well be quite a significant plot-hole in the "Days of Future Past" film.

Stay with me: the trailer suggest that Professor X will use Logan to go back into time to use his mind from the future and displace it into Logan's body from the past to try to convince both young Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr.

Why can't Professor X just transport his own mind to the past? Or even better, just transport Magneto's mind to the past to show himself to Professor X. That would be a major compelling move. If I were a younger Professor X, I would be caught off guard by Magneto "surrendering" himself in any form.

Just something I noticed. Really, I'm not completely sold by any upcoming X-Men films. They need a reboot. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan are great and all -- I just think that ship has sailed ever since "Last Stand."
The only reason he sends Wolverine in time instead of any other mutant is because Logan is the only real hero in the world, and the only mutant that can save the day.

Charles doesnt believe other mutants could protect the world or save the world, so Logan is their only choice. In some sense, Wolverine is the god between all the mutants.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

1) It wouldn't make sense for Charles to send himself or Erik back because once their future selves snap back into their bodies, what's keeping their younger selves from making the same mistakes again? It needs to come from a third party in order to convince them both and keep them on the right track even after the time traveler leaves.

2) It makes sense that Wolvie is the traveler because in keeping with the mind-transfer from the original comic run, there's no other mutant in the future that was around in the 70's (other than Erik and Xavier) to transfer their mind into. Of course they could use another form of time travel but again, then you'd have people *****ing that they weren't keeping with the original story arc. It's lose lose situation either way and I think they chose the best option.

3) We've already been told by Singer himself that with the mode of time travel being used in the movie, Wolverine's healing factor makes him one of the only ones that can survive the process.

What's so hard to understand about this?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
The only reason he sends Wolverine in time instead of any other mutant is because Logan is the only real hero in the world, and the only mutant that can save the day.

Charles doesnt believe other mutants could protect the world or save the world, so Logan is their only choice. In some sense, Wolverine is the god between all the mutants.
Umm except Logan isn't going to save the day. It's pretty clear that young Charles and Erik are the "gods" here and must come together to save the day. Logan is the messenger and given the circumstances he does have the best track record and is the most suitable for this mission.

To a degree the reason he's going is because he's expendable. His abilities will never turn the tide in the war against Sentinels but he is resilient and has the best chance to survive the unknown. It kind of throws back to X-Men 1 when Logan is thrown towards Magneto's machine. If he missed the mark Cyclops could take it out.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

So much drama-queeny comments here it's hilarious!

"Xavier will only send Wolverine as he is the only hero Xavier trusts to save the day."

When Rogue got kidnapped who did Xavier send out? Not Logan, who just went on his without Xavier's permission, even "borrowing" Scott's bike.

When Scott needed a bodyguard when he was visiting his old friend in prison, who did he take with him? Not Logan, who he only tasked with babysitting the kids, while Xavier also sent Storm and Jean to find the blue elf.

Anyways, thanks for the laugh!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
Antihero
Side-Kick

Why does Wolverine get sent back in time?
1.For storyline purposes,Wolverine is the only one who can survive the time travelling process.
2.Hugh Jackman is the biggest star in the DOFP cast
3.The most important reason is because he is Wolverine

Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I sense this thread is going to get ugly. As the issue seems to be settled, and this subject has been discussed in other threads, let's wrap this one up.