The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #26
Oscorp
Koloss

Default Re: Spider-Man:Flagship Character to Red Flag Character

I didn't read all of it, but I'd still want to add my thoughts to this subject.

My love for Spider-Man hasn't declined despite all the bad things lately. It's because we'll always have the good stuff from the past. No matter what they do to him, we can always look back at the great things.

That said, I honestly feel that there is some truth to the statement of Spidey losing his status. Spidey and his world has been butchered so many times lately in the comics that, to me, it seems like lots of people have lost interest in reading his comics now. I stopped reading them and I've read lots of others doing so as well.

Had TSSM stayed around for a little longer I think people would open their eyes to the character again, but it got replaced by a horrible cartoon that just made it all worse.

Add to that, that even though I myself really like Raimi's first two films, it seems that many people got sick of Spider-Man after SM3 and felt he was a corny hero. Then we got ASM which seems to divide people in love-or-hate camps, and also didn't get any spot light in the shadow of TDKR and The Avengers.

When looking at the Internet and talking to people in general, it seems that Spidey is almost forgotten these days. Batman is the thing now. RDJ's portrayal of Iron Man is also the thing. Same goes for Avengers as a whole. It's almost always those heroes that are mentioned when people are asked about what superheroes they like.

Whenever I mention that I love Spider-Man the most, people react like I'm stuck in childhood. They also always refer to the Raimi movies when they say how corny and childish Spider-Man is. Because that's the only reference they have since they don't read the comics. It's also the same people that actually loved ASM. But even then, you almost feel embarrassed when you say that Spidey is your favourite.

Remember, I really like Raimi's first two films, but his films are ALWAYS brought up by friends as a negative picture of Spidey as un-cool, corny and cheesy.

I think we live in a time where either dark (Batman) or really big (Avengers) CBM's are what people want to see and where Spidey simply doesn't fit in. I hope that changes though.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #27
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Batman has sort of become a trend at this point, where the GA is absolutely in love with him to the point where almost every person I see is wearing a Batman shirt. As the years pass, and the Nolan films get older, I think this will die down. Same with TA... people were overly excited with that movie so now anything Avengers related gets a ton of love.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #28
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Whenever I mention that I love Spider-Man the most, people react like I'm stuck in childhood. They also always refer to the Raimi movies when they say how corny and childish Spider-Man is. Because that's the only reference they have since they don't read the comics. It's also the same people that actually loved ASM. But even then, you almost feel embarrassed when you say that Spidey is your favourite.
That's the GA for you. If you told a real comic book fan that Spidey is your favorite, I think they would respect that, even if they aren't huge fans of his. Simply because they get the character and know that there is more to him than Spider-Man 3 or Ultimate Spider-Man.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #29
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
That is one of the most butthurt-filled articles I've read in a long time.
This. Especially the parts about Slott.

Despite decisions he has made that many fans don't like, he has made the Spider-Man comics better than they've been in years. Decades even.

And don't even get me started on Christopher Yost, who turned one of the worst Spidey characters into one of the best marvel characters/titles. Current and perhaps of all time.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #30
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
What does everyone think of Miles Morales coming to the 616 universe?
It's probably not permanent, so I don't mind.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #31
Oscorp
Koloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
This. Especially the parts about Slott.

Despite decisions he has made that many fans don't like, he has made the Spider-Man comics better than they've been in years. Decades even.

And don't even get me started on Christopher Yost, who turned one of the worst Spidey characters into one of the best marvel characters/titles. Current and perhaps of all time.
Who?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
Picard Sisko

Honestly though I really don't think Spider-Man is a red flag character.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
Oscorp
Koloss

Let's hope ASM2 is so great that it will win the audience back and remind them why Spidey is one of the best (THE best if you ask me)

Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #34
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Let's hope ASM2 is so great that it will win the audience back and remind them why Spidey is one of the best (THE best if you ask me)
To me, he is THE BEST, and no other superhero comes close. Spidey is such a huge inspiration for me, and I love everything about him.

I really hope TASM2 wins the GA back. At the very least, I just want it to be a very good movie, if not a great one.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Who?
Kaine a.k.a. Scarlet-Spider, everyone's least favorite clone from the Clone Saga and probably the worst character from that storyline.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #36
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Marvel seem to want to run Spidey into the ground. The comics no longer have Pete (still really good though) and the cartoon that Marvel Studios are making is the worst Spidey cartoon ever.

Probably trying to kill Spidey interest to big up the Iron Man fad

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #37
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Marvel seem to want to run Spidey into the ground. The comics no longer have Pete (still really good though) and the cartoon that Marvel Studios are making is the worst Spidey cartoon ever.

Probably trying to kill Spidey interest to big up the Iron Man fad
I wouldn't say all that, but I do feel that they've lost sight of what to do with Peter Parker, outside of being Spider-Man.

After 50 years of stories that have taken Peter Parker to every place a character can go, in terms of tone, characters, morality, romance, costumes, artwork, etc, Its understandable that they have reached a point in time where the character had to be definitively killed off in the comics so the he can feel fresh again, whenever he may return.

As much as I love Peter Parker, he had gone as far as he could for the time being. Time for fresh Spidey stories that don't have Peter Parker behind the mask.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #38
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

In simplest terms, Peter Parker had to die, So that Spider-Man could live.

Anyone can be Spider-Man. And because of that, there are unlimited stories that you can tell, beyond Peter Parker. And I think this is true, now more than ever.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #39
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Right now, my love of Spidey is coming from the films. I don't like what they are doing with the current comics that much and the new show sucks. I read old Spidey comics. So yeah, he isn't at the top of his game. Batman just finished an amazing trilogy, has a great video game franchise going on, the comics are great, and I'm sure the new show isn't as bad as USM. He's nearly at the top of his game.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #40
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

I don't think people have embraced the idea of anyone but Peter Parker being behind the mask. And now that the character has become stale, and Marvel is venturing out and seriously putting others behind the mask, I think that people are rebelling against the character, the idea of Spider-Man and really seeking out other characters instead.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #41
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Who?
Kaine/Scarlet Spider. Easily the best book Marvel is putting out now.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

I read the article. Spidey is still tops imo. He's my personal favorite and no matter what 'bad' things may be going on in his current state, that certainly doesn't change what he's done and what he's capable of doing. If anything ASM2 has a lot of weight on its shoulders if you add this to the list however it also has a great opportunity to give Spidey a new lift. It just takes one little nudge to make a difference. I'm not worried about his future though--all big time hitters enter a slump.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #43
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Quote:
I don't think people have embraced the idea of anyone but Peter Parker being behind the mask. And now that the character has become stale, and Marvel is venturing out and seriously putting others behind the mask, I think that people are rebelling against the character, the idea of Spider-Man and really seeking out other characters instead.
I am one of those people, I'm sorry but I really couldn't give two ****s about Miles. Once you take out the man that makes the hero, it makes it seem like the man is not important only the mask. The people who like it are the same people that complain when Batman doesn't appear for 30 minutes into TDKR or that Iron Man isn't in IM3 enough. It's not the suit or the mask, it's the person underneath.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

There are plenty of Spider-Men that are just as fun and interesting as Peter. As long as the book is well-written, a Spider-Man that isn't Peter Parker is fine.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #45
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wouldn't say all that, but I do feel that they've lost sight of what to do with Peter Parker, outside of being Spider-Man.
Yes. Poor writers, dumb execs...what more needs to be said?

Quote:
After 50 years of stories that have taken Peter Parker to every place a character can go, in terms of tone, characters, morality, romance, costumes, artwork, etc, Its understandable that they have reached a point in time where the character had to be definitively killed off in the comics so the he can feel fresh again, whenever he may return.
And then what? When he returns it'll be back to the same ol' formula again. What do they do when the writers still suck? Kill him off again and have Osborn take his place? Killing the character of Peter Parker off was a gimmicky cop-out. Only when one becomes completely and totally creatively bankrupt do they resort to scraping the bottom of the barrel for gimmicks like this.

Quote:
As much as I love Peter Parker, he had gone as far as he could for the time being. Time for fresh Spidey stories that don't have Peter Parker behind the mask.
"Superior" has been anything but fresh. It's another lame "earth-shattering" "creative" decision by Marvel to try to up readership in place of actually telling solid stories- which is difficult when the character, for the sake of longevity, must remain a perpetual man-boy.

Quote:
In simplest terms, Peter Parker had to die, So that Spider-Man could live.

Anyone can be Spider-Man. And because of that, there are unlimited stories that you can tell, beyond Peter Parker. And I think this is true, now more than ever.
I Disagree. Peter Parker IS Spider-Man and vice versa. The one thing that absolutely defines the character is not the costume or the powers, but the character of Peter Parker. Seeing the trials he faces, seeing him growing, learning, etc... You can't just slap the costume and powers on anyone and expect interesting, memorable stories.

Quote:
Again, if the character has become stale, it's because of the weak creative team. There is no expiration date on the character of Peter Parker as Spider-Man. As for the rest of your comment- sounds like change for the sake of change to me.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #46
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

It's just something I can't get behind.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #47
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I am one of those people, I'm sorry but I really couldn't give two ****s about Miles. Once you take out the man that makes the hero, it makes it seem like the man is not important only the mask. The people who like it are the same people that complain when Batman doesn't appear for 30 minutes into TDKR or that Iron Man isn't in IM3 enough. It's not the suit or the mask, it's the person underneath.

Exactly. There are those that mostly love the colorful, spectacle that caters to the kid in all of us (which is great, don't get me wrong)- which is what the costume and powers bring- and then there are those of us that mostly love the character. The man (or woman) beneath the mask. That's what drives the story. That's what made Spider-Man so different from all the other masked heroes in the early years. How fitting, that the character is so superficially disposable now. Put anyone in the costume as long as it's blue and red and shoots webs! Ugh.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #48
ironwez20
Side-Kick

See here's the thing tho. When avengers was coming out people cried out "Wheres spidey. People still want spiderman and sure iron man is hot right now but Batman hit a stump in movies aswell and was made to be this corny dude aswell.
Mark my words if Spectacular spiderman does well then people will flip flop like hell. It happned with Batman begins.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #49
blake c
Side-Kick

I picked up a Superior Spider-man comic at books a million and nearly threw up. That trash is the best Marvel has? Its sad when the comic book company who owns Spider-man doesn't even know him. Spider-man is about the person under the mask, not the mask itself. Hes not Batman. Peter Parker is why the comics became so popular. He was an outcast teenager, no parents, a dead uncle, and the responsibility's of a hero while maintaining a perfect image as a normal person. Spider-man is how Peter escapes his personal struggles, but yet still manages to help other people and be a much stronger person than he is as just plain old Peter Parker. Does anyone remember the bridge scene in TASM? About how he gave the kid the mask so he would be stronger? Thats only something Peter Parker would do, the most relatable person in comics.

blake c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #50
blake c
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwez20 View Post
See here's the thing tho. When avengers was coming out people cried out "Wheres spidey. People still want spiderman and sure iron man is hot right now but Batman hit a stump in movies aswell and was made to be this corny dude aswell.
Mark my words if Spectacular spiderman does well then people will flip flop like hell. It happned with Batman begins.
The Amazing Spider-man 2 is going to give Spidey back his fame. Just wait, as soon as a trailer drops. I'm even willing to be that there are going to be a new Marvel universe introduced, especially if the rumor of the Ultimate universe being killed off.

blake c is offline   Reply With Quote