The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Have you had enough of Wolverine hogging the spotlight?
Yes 85 68.00%
No 40 32.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #301
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Are you tired of Wolverine being overexposed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
The Wolverine went off the radar a bit, it just didn't reach the mainstream public as an essential must-see. It really needed to do that, given its release after a crowded summer of action movies.
Yet The Wolverine might be outgrossing Origins (and I'm sure it will) and if it goes big in Japan/China, it would definitely outgross X2.

Yeah I know there's price inflation and 3D. But The Wolverine being the top-grossing X-Men film when it comes to foreign gross and possibly, the 2nd/3rd top-grossing X-Men film worldwide is pretty good especially the film only had a production budget of $120 million.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #302
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yet The Wolverine might be outgrossing Origins (and I'm sure it will) and if it goes big in Japan/China, it would definitely outgross X2.

Yeah I know there's price inflation and 3D. But The Wolverine being the top-grossing X-Men film when it comes to foreign gross and possibly, the 2nd/3rd top-grossing X-Men film worldwide is pretty good especially the film only had a production budget of $120 million.
Yes, I agree. I think it would have done even better with stronger marketing. The more I think about the film, the more I think it should have focused more on the idea of immortality/mortality and on the option of giving up those things. (Logan quickly dismissed the idea of becoming 'normal' so the idea wasn't explored that much from his point of view).

With a stronger central concept, and that concept well marketed, it would have been more appealing. I can visualise a teaser/trailer that focused on the immortality thing with a powerful voicover:

'What would it be like if you could live forever?

You'll see the world change over the centuries and you will never die. But everyone around you does. You will lose everyone you love.

Then someone offers the chance to become mortal, to live a normal, happy life, grow old and die. Would you do it, would you give up immortality? And what if you didn't - how much would that person want to take it from you?'

Old 09-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #303
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Thumbs up Re: Are you tired of Wolverine being overexposed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-maniac View Post
just market x force properly and it should do fine.

It doesn't need wolverine to be in it, it doesn't need x-men in the title. This franchise has now developed a wolverine dependency problem and it needs to wean itself off that.

The wolverine went off the radar a bit, it just didn't reach the mainstream public as an essential must-see. It really needed to do that, given its release after a crowded summer of action movies.
Exactly.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #304
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I agree as well and I wish we could have more films on other characters, like pair up Yukio with Storm or Jubilee. Yukio was my favorite part of the new film. I HATED the scenes with Jean. Even my mom said those scenes were the worst part.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #305
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

In response to the title of the thread, yes and no. I think his role was warranted in the first two films, but absolutely not in the third. I think an origin film was necessary since he is so popular and the first two films really made you curious what happened to him in his past, though it was subtly tied up at the end of X2. Anyway, Origins wound up being terrible. I loved his cameo in FC and thought that was the best on-screen representation of Wolverine by that point. I was indifferent about TW, mostly, but it was neat to see him battle the internal struggle of immortality. But, then I think about - there are so many other great X-characters with so much depth that deserve their stories to be told, so it's frustrating. When it comes to DoFP, however, I think his role is appropriate. He's the only living character in the future that was alive in 1973 who doesn't remember his past. And since the "time travel" revolves around only a consciousness being reverted to a younger body, it only makes sense. It also provides him with a challenge in trying to deal with a very different Xavier and Magneto which, if written true to Logan 's character, will be very interesting. Plus, if he gets in a tussle with Magneto then, he'll have a slightly better shot without the adamantium skeleton, right? Fun. I wish I could say the Wolverine-ness bothers me - and back in the X3 days it did (and still does regarding that movie) - but no other characters have been developed enough on-screen to really warrant me arguing that I'd want to see more of them instead. The only exceptions, thanks to FC, are Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Beast. Fortunately, DoFP appears to continue those characters' development, especially the former two. I always want more Cyclops, mainly due to his obscene lack of development and presence in the films he was in compared to his significance in the comics and other related media. But I think once the future changes, we may get to see him again. And if a sequel is to follow, I'm holding out that it'll be his time to shine... maybe?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #306
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I'm tried of this question being asked

Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #307
Loki882
Side-Kick

I wonder what Wolverine would think of Havok?

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #308
eon001
Side-Kick

Sick, tired and damn near pissed off.
What I hate is this idea that ticket sales will fall without Wolverine on screen in every scene.
First Class and Avengers are Wolverine free and they did just fine. Just develop the supporting cast. Give them some personal arcs and some actual f**king lines!

I blame producers for playing it safe. Much like WB obsession with Batman for over a decade. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality. Doesn't leave much room for creativity though.

Now that Fox are investing in the X universe like Marvel has with there phase projects, I guess we'll get to see more other characters get there time to shine.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #309
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I've been sick of Wolverine since before X3 and yes I'm sick of Tony too.
I co sign this too. Not quite sick of him yet but he's definitely going the way of Wolverine. Avengers 2 would have been a great passing of the torch from Tony to Pym, but the suits just won't take the risk.

Personally I think all the phase 1 characters should have a 3 movies maximum then they should focus on developing other properties. They can still pump out Avengers movies, but there solo movies would be put on hiatus to avoid over exposure.
I really don't want to see a 4th Iron man movie.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #310
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

^ agreed, stick to Avengers for those characters and do Iron Fist and Daredevil and Moon Knoght and Nova or the others

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #311
Angamb
Banned User

the huge difference between Avengers's Tony and X-Men's Wolverine is that Marvel has supported the other members pretty fine, with solo movies, so all the characters have shined in the different movies, and they will do again in A2.

Fox on the other hand, has put Wolverine as the Star of the whole Original trilogy and is the only x-man to have a solo series. not a solo movie, but two.

So basically, he has been the big star of 5 movies.

And what about the rest of the x-men? well, we all know the answer.

So two totally different scenarios.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #312
Loki882
Side-Kick

Tony wasn't even the main focus on the first Avengers film. He may have stood out more, but that's because it's RDJ. The man is Mr. Charisma. Rogue was the main character of X1. Wolverine being the focus in X2 was necessary/ok because of Weapon X. X3 was a clusterf**k on every level.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #313
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Stark isn't overexposed. He's simply being played played by the most popular actor in the MCU. The big difference is that the other Marvel characters get solo movies as well. This doesn't happen with x-men.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #314
Angamb
Banned User

and at the same time, we can already say that ALL the avengers had their cool action moment to shine, and more than once in the same movie, (and its just the first movie)

He had three x-men movies and some characters didnt even got an actual action moment. Rogue was in the three movies and she never had her own fight, so... this says it all.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #315
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The avengers is very much focused on Tony Stark and Captain America

That's a bad compession.The avengers was characters In own books coming
together In a team.X-Men was a team,and only WOlverine has been able to
sustain solo book.

Stark has been focus in 4 film-3 iron man films and the avengers
Stark has cameo In 1 film-The incredible Hulk
Stark will likely be focus In 2 upcoming films-Age of ultron and third Avengers
film

Wolverine has been focus in 5 film-Trilogy,origins,and The wolverine
Wolverine has had cameo in 1 film-First Class
Wolverine will be a focus In upcoming film-DOFP

Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #316
Angamb
Banned User

the actual numbers of each character doesnt matter at all.

If the stuff the other characters did in each movie.

Both Ironman, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye had more action that Rogue in the whole trilogy. And we could include Angel and Colossus on the list too.

So three x-men characters had less action than all the avengers on just ONE movie.

If thats not a big difference between the franchises, then I dont know what it is.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #317
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Your ignoring the fact that there were 2 Iron Man solo films,a hulk,and cap,and thor solo films before the avengers.Black Widow had already been Introduced
In Iron Man 2 before the avengers.Your also ignoring the fact there are more characters In X-Men films then there were In The Avengers.

If they had to Introduce all the characters In Avengers without solo films first would you have the same effect? I think not.

DOFP Is going to be the closest thing the X-Men films have to a compession to the avengers.

The Avengers Is total different beast than X-Men.

Rogue In first X-men had more important role than Black Widow and hawkeye so far on screen.And rogue appears to have important role In DOFP.Obviously that's going to change with BW with Cap2 and may change with hawkeye In Avengers 2 due to Joss Whedon's comments.

Stark and wolverine compession I find total logicil.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #318
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It could be argued though that since Storm and Cyclops and others have not had solo movies (like Thor, Cap, Hulk), then they should be given a bit more focus and development within the team movies.

The emphasis should definitely be shifted from Wolverine because we know all there is to know about him now.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #319
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
It could be argued though that since Storm and Cyclops and others have not had solo movies (like Thor, Cap, Hulk), then they should be given a bit more focus and development within the team movies.

The emphasis should definitely be shifted from Wolverine because we know all there is to know about him now.
It shouldn't be argued it should just happen. lol

Wolverine no longer needs to be the focus, nor does he deserve it in my opinion.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #320
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
It could be argued though that since Storm and Cyclops and others have not had solo movies (like Thor, Cap, Hulk), then they should be given a bit more focus and development within the team movies
definetly. Both are pivotal characters in the universe, and I would include Rogue too, mainly being the youngest of the cast and the most important female after Jean and Storm.

It was fine for X1, and partly for X2, but at this point in the franchise, to keep puting Wolverine as the main character is a H U G E mistake. The x-men members deserve much more than that.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #321
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't read comics/cartoons about the Avengers, I pretty much know the characters based on name, videogames and movies but I feel like all of the members of the Avengers got a decent amount of screentime/character development in MCU movies. The only exception for this is Hawkeye but that could change in Age of Ultron.

But what I think whats better with the X-Men movies is their most developed characters like Professor X, Wolverine and Magneto have more depth compare to Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America.

Though I feel like after DOFP, the focus should be on the team and give Rogue, Iceman, Storm, Cyclops (if he comes back) more things to do and more importance.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #322
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I think the difference is that the X-Men franchise wasn't made as an action franchise whereas the Avengers (just TA movies) was. The X-Men movies are more about the theme and characters struggle than what they can do.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-20-2013 at 03:43 AM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #323
eon001
Side-Kick

I think some of you are missing the point about Tony Stark. He hasn't been over exposed YET, but there is a danger that he could be. So far Marvel have balanced the characters well, but with Stark being the creator of Ultron (instead of Pym) makes me think this will be a unnecessarily Tony Stark focused sequel. IM3 making a billion is hard to ignore.

I could be completely wrong, and I think Marvel will learn from Fox's Wolverine mistakes. But I think it's a fair talking point.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #324
Angamb
Banned User

to me, even if Tony is the big star of Avengers 2, it doesnt matter at all, because Cap and Thor fans will have their solo movies to enjoy them in full.

Not to mention that Marvel is also doing an Ant-Man movie (an AntMan MOVIE!!!) and Guardians of the galaxy.

So Marvel fans can enjoy plenty of movies where Tony isnt involved.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #325
Morbius
Living Vampire

I personally think it comes down to - ripped Hugh Jackman. No-one else in the xmen movie franchise can compete with that 6pack.

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote